Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Wait what. As much as we love to poo poo on Austin, a lot of things are a wash. However, traffic there is a Goddamn nightmare compared to Houston because of their total failure to deal with the growth in any transportation form - though if we're talking pure amount of time you need to drive to get anywhere, Houston takes the cake.

It's hilarious being back here in that sense. I've lived in a city of 12MM people for the last decade and a half, where the traffic is absurd, and it takes the same amount of time to get to somewhere just because of the size of Houston. "Okay, sure, see you in 45 minutes." is a totally normal response to a spontaneous invite to something in Houston and you will spend every minute of that behind the wheel going 80+ MPH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

After living in both places for a while, I hated driving in Houston a lot more than in Austin, but everything else is better

:stare:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

It's hilarious being back here in that sense. I've lived in a city of 12MM people for the last decade and a half, where the traffic is absurd, and it takes the same amount of time to get to somewhere just because of the size of Houston. "Okay, sure, see you in 45 minutes." is a totally normal response to a spontaneous invite to something in Houston and you will spend every minute of that behind the wheel going 80+ MPH.

this is the most important part of why people put up with it around here, the trip doesnt feel as bad when you're cruising by people on the highway thanks to the fifteen lanes

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ReindeerF posted:

Wait what. As much as we love to poo poo on Austin, a lot of things are a wash. However, traffic there is a Goddamn nightmare compared to Houston because of their total failure to deal with the growth in any transportation form - though if we're talking pure amount of time you need to drive to get anywhere, Houston takes the cake.

Where I live I haven't had to take 35 for more than an exit or two to get anywhere worth going in the city for years, maybe that's why. I take surface streets to work and to pretty much anywhere else I need to go.

I hated that going anywhere in Houston was going to take at least half an hour just to get there.

edit: and the roads were garbage where I spent most of my time in Houston, it was pot hole city

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 6, 2020

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

ReindeerF posted:

you will spend every minute of that behind the wheel going 80+ MPH.

And you'll need to get out of the way of people going 100

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MattMershonTV/status/1279912683362492417

i live and work in the north cluster

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I drive from Katy to the heights everyday. I hate driving in this city. Potholes everywhere, poo poo public trans, assholes in BMWs doing 130. The collective IQ of everyone driving on Houston freeways is 2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

spaced ninja posted:

I drive from Katy to the heights everyday. I hate driving in this city. Potholes everywhere, poo poo public trans, assholes in BMWs doing 130. The collective IQ of everyone driving on Houston freeways is 2.

That high?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've driven most of the major metros, except NYC which I've only ridden in, and the key things that make Houston stand out are the number of trucks, the number of lanes and the sheer speed. Otherwise, it's just LA or Atlanta. Detroit is my favorite place to drive on the Interstate because they have massive roads and no one's there. Anyway, no, Houston drivers are not particularly bad, but we seem to have some weird social contract where the government just doesn't enforce speed limits in a major metro. I've never seen another huge city where people pass cops while speeding and everyone's just like, "Sure, whatever."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would gladly sit on mopac/1604/610 all day than drive in the boston metro again

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

i say swears online posted:

i would gladly sit on mopac/1604/610 all day than drive in the boston metro again
I hacked Boston by arriving in the middle of the night and driving out at like 03:00. I caught a bit of it coming back the next day in the afternoon and would not want to experience more. The nonsense between SF and SJ out in California is similar. That's probably the worst I've dealt with in America. The worst I've dealt with overseas was a 4+ hour drive from the airport (MNL) in Manila to downtown on a Friday night, which is a drive I've done in 45 minutes otherwise. Jakarta has to be among the worst on Earth, but I haven't been. Manila's pretty spectacular, though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lagos has the worst traffic on earth, it's almost comical. the expat community in houston probably feel like the roads are empty

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Jakarta has to be among the worst on Earth, but I haven't been.

This why I couldn’t get into the Raid 2, the idea they’re having car chase is laughable. Driving down the street is an all day commitment. :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

spaced ninja posted:

Houston is nothing compared to other large cities, IMO, especially once you get out of the states.

Although sure the roads suck in the loop, they're old as hell and were never built correctly.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

shed the mask rally this loving state

https://twitter.com/kaceyonfox7/status/1279450137702645760?s=21

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm scooter guy at :30

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
what an odd crowd. are there still BLM protests going on in the major cities? I worked late one day last week and saw people gathered in front of police HQ in Austin. Other than that, I haven’t really kept up too much with it this week.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ahahaha. This is glorious. Anyone with COVID, please start attending these rallies on the no mask side and breathing heavily.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sir Thats Gross posted:

what an odd crowd. are there still BLM protests going on in the major cities? I worked late one day last week and saw people gathered in front of police HQ in Austin. Other than that, I haven’t really kept up too much with it this week.
Yeah the cops never stopped putting boots to necks. The media just decided to stop covering it and hope that people would assume the protests died off.

It's working. Go figure.

spaced ninja posted:

One of the problems with living with the rich douchebags is that you also have to drive with them.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

In happier news I got my runoff ballot in the mail after submitting a mail in ballot form like a month or two ago, so that’s pretty nice

No finger condoms for me! At least, not in public :getin:

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Yeah the cops never stopped putting boots to necks. The media just decided to stop covering it and hope that people would assume the protests died off.

It's working. Go figure.

I figured as much. I was thrilled to see them still out there though. APD and Manley need to be held accountable.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

I don't know if it's just familiarity or what, but I would rather drive in DFW/Houston/Austin traffic than in pretty much any of other large cities that I've driven around in.

Though you can't pay me enough to drive through Austin I-35 or in Houston on the West Loop during peak congestion.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's something comforting about inching along mopac, blaring klbj am

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Same post but doing 80 down I-10, barely keeping up with traffic, and listening to Fat Pat

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sir Thats Gross posted:

So far as I know, the protests kept going in a bunch of places, they just stopped making headlines. Most notably in Seattle, where the protest took over a block for at least a week after the police vacated a precinct.

Which it's exciting that so many people are motivated for a good cause, but I think that a lot of that is just people still being restless with a lot of free time. There's more protests than just the ones for BLM. The anti-quarantine pro-disease protests started before the current wave of BLM protests, and they're still popping up. I was confused when the BLM protests first started breaking out, because I thought they were the other kind of protest. There's even a florida retirement community that made the news because they were protesting eachother in support of their favored presidential candidate. Protest is in the air, and it's not really going to go away any time soon.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

serious weimar vibes

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1279924971146485760?s=20

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I voted for my primaries today! I did research and everything for my candidates, so that officially makes me a boring middle-aged american nobody! I cant wait for my vote to get cancelled out by the massive Texas republican population this year! :dance:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

I've never seen another huge city where people pass cops while speeding and everyone's just like, "Sure, whatever."

Houston is the only metro I've seen where a cop flash lights at someone onto the shoulder just to get them out of the way because the cop thought they were driving to slow and whipped around them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My canadian ex was absolutely terrified of driving in DFW. Like, drove us most of the way there over like 18 hours and then just noped out after spending like ten minutes in heavy traffic and made me drive for the duration of our staying in Dallas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The worst driving I've had in texas was on i10 between Beaumont and Orange. Construction kept the lanes narrow with concrete barriers, trucks going past with six inches of clearance. Then you look up and see all the billboards for "have you been injured in an eighteen wheeler accident??"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Dameius posted:

Houston is the only metro I've seen where a cop flash lights at someone onto the shoulder just to get them out of the way because the cop thought they were driving to slow and whipped around them.

I still remember the time I was going straight at a red light and a cop scared the bejeezus out of me by flipping on his lights and siren directly behind me so that they could take a right on red. I was pretty pissed when I saw the lights turn off immediately after they turned.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

I still remember the time I was going straight at a red light and a cop scared the bejeezus out of me by flipping on his lights and siren directly behind me so that they could take a right on red. I was pretty pissed when I saw the lights turn off immediately after they turned.

cop was right in this situation. i get stuck behind people like you all morning and afternoon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The worst driving I've had in texas was on i10 between Beaumont and Orange. Construction kept the lanes narrow with concrete barriers, trucks going past with six inches of clearance. Then you look up and see all the billboards for "have you been injured in an eighteen wheeler accident??"

That section has like three highways converging to go over the one bridge. My folks live outside Orange now and I have to time my drives to visit to miss Beaumont rush hour

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look you can just say Vidor, it's safe here

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Maybe the public transport pitch can be this: if we had good transit in terms of reliability and coverage, most of these assholes you'd never have to share the road with again

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It was fun watching the local news talk about people setting off their own fireworks in record numbers this year. Nothing like adding a bunch of explosive related injured into an already overwhelmed hospital system.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Don't forget the dozen tow trucks speeding to reach the single car parked on the shoulder in a Houston freeway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

look you can just say Vidor, it's safe here

Naw they live out in the country in the, ahem, “Golden Triangle”

It it easily the shittiest part of the state.

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1280163833194168326

Oh look the state GOP is going to both get Harris Co. officials to bail them out of their dipshit decision to move forward with an in-person agenda and they're gonna get to whine about liberal tyranny to boot

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at least it has trees and birds. the west/south texas fracking fields get my vote with orange as runner-up

quote:

Oh look the state GOP is going to both get Harris Co. officials to bail them out of their dipshit decision to move forward with an in-person agenda and they're gonna get to whine about liberal tyranny to boot
lmao there's no other way this will play out