Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, good to know - thanks to you both about Outer Wilds. I'd heard it was good and was disappointed to run into that notice.

In the meantime I've started playing Dishonored 2 and am experimenting with postprocessing again. I'm liking the results so far - it's interesting playing relatively recent games and having the CPU and GPU headroom to go crazy with settings and postprocessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, good to know - thanks to you both about Outer Wilds. I'd heard it was good and was disappointed to run into that notice.

In the meantime I've started playing Dishonored 2 and am experimenting with postprocessing again. I'm liking the results so far - it's interesting playing relatively recent games and having the CPU and GPU headroom to go crazy with settings and postprocessing.

If you like exploration games, you will really like Outer Wilds. Do yourself a favor and read as little as possible about it though, since the primary draw of the game is the exploration and learning about the solar system. The primary game mechanic precludes any kind of permanent inventory or upgrades, so the only thing limiting your exploration is literally your own knowledge of how things work. As you learn more, you are provided critical knowledge necessary to get to other places that originally may have seemed inaccessible.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I honestly prefer playing with a controller in most games, I feel like everything is to hand, so you don't need to do a little remapping dance to find the buttons you need. It allows you to sit more comfortably.
I started out with a wired xbox 360 controller in 2006, and eventully moved on to wireless xbox 360 controllers. I do have one xbox one controller, expressely because the chatpad is supported in windows.

Edit: of course I had controllers before the 360 one, but it's there they became well supported and a good idea to have on hand. Anything but native xinput is not worth recommending, in my opinion

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 5, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I am the same, I use controllers on PC which is hooked up to the big screen. I have found PS4 controller to be the best one so far, just ahead of the wireless Xbone pad. The analog movement curve, battery charging/life, ability to play it wired via USB, and force feedback pulls it just ahead. Steam supports it natively which is a huge boon.

Eventually I will go back to m/kb when I sell my current place and move to a bigger one, with a nice desk, a 3080ti and a decent 1440p144 monitor to go with it. Just no space in my studio apartment right now :smith:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

HalloKitty posted:

I honestly prefer playing with a controller in most games, I feel like everything is to hand, so you don't need to do a little remapping dance to find the buttons you need.

Yeah this is me. I really dislike having too many keyboard bindings because they never feel as second nature to me as controller buttons do in the heat of the moment. A gaming mouse with lots of extra buttons gets me most of the way there but things like high level Doom gameplay where you max your DPS by rapidly cycling between certain weapons are just beyond me.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Party Boat posted:

Yeah this is me. I really dislike having too many keyboard bindings because they never feel as second nature to me as controller buttons do in the heat of the moment. A gaming mouse with lots of extra buttons gets me most of the way there but things like high level Doom gameplay where you max your DPS by rapidly cycling between certain weapons are just beyond me.

Controllers are are super preferable for me with fighting games and third person adventure games like Castlevania, Darksiders, etc.

With KB/M though, it’s all about being familiar with where your keys are and making it muscle memory. It’s tough to get used to, but once you get there, KB/M is the best way to play pretty much anything that requires precision aiming or access to *lots* of buttons.

That being said, if you’re happy with a controller for most games, then you do you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have one of the Xbone Elite Series 2 controllers and it was so worth it. The thing is a tank, all the buttons and sticks feel really nice, and the paddles kick rear end for some games where you want to hit face buttons while you're aiming. It was expensive, but considering I got 8 years out of my wired 360 controller, I'm good with paying 180 bucks for a piece of hardware that should last a decade.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You'd hope it would last a decade but the first gen Elite controllers were notoriously unreliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs

Hopefully the second gen holds up better...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Buncha fake, gamer traitors in this thread I guess

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Lockback posted:

Buncha fake, gamer traitors in this thread I guess

This post belongs in a museum

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’ve got a gen 1 and it’s held up well. Don’t use it a ton though

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
KB/M for FPS, RTS, and any sort of city building game. Controllers for third person action games, platformers, and fighting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

As a poor person I'm much more interested in the 3060 than the 3080Ti Super whatever. Any midrange leaks or speculation?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FuturePastNow posted:

As a poor person I'm much more interested in the 3060 than the 3080Ti Super whatever. Any midrange leaks or speculation?

Nothing specific. It'll probably be powerful and a good price:performance ratio, like the xx60 parts always are. It'll probably not be available at the same time the 3080/high end cards are released--NVidia has historically kept the xx60's back a few months, so there's a solid chance you won't be able to pick one up until the end of the year (or possibly early 2021), especially if you want a AIB one if NVidia decides to launch their own FE version first again. There are rumors that the xx60 (and maybe xx70?) parts might be built on a different process node, which would mean they'd run comparatively hotter, but in a desktop that's not really an issue you should worry about.

Pricing, release dates, etc., all very much TBD.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If 3060 can do 1080ti level performance at $350~ it'll sell like hot cakes

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A 1080Ti is only ~30% faster than a 2060S right now, so a 3060 being pretty close to a 1080Ti is a very good possibility. $350 might be a bit aggressive, though, since the 2060S is a $400 card and there's no real good reason for NVidia to be cutting prices right now. I'd expect $400-$450 for the 3060, at least at the start.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

With that DLSS2 and other new features, it’ll be attractive for sure. I might get me a 3070 for 4K60 to hold me over with my ancient Xeon E3 1276v3 til AM5/DDR5 drops in a couple years. Or I’ll be a lazy poo poo and use my 970 for 1080p medium until the new build, I’ll have a PS5 anyway. Depends on my urges to upgrade ~something~ and what kind of cash I got lying around I guess.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tehinternet posted:

Controllers are are super preferable for me with fighting games and third person adventure games like Castlevania, Darksiders, etc.

With KB/M though, it’s all about being familiar with where your keys are and making it muscle memory. It’s tough to get used to, but once you get there, KB/M is the best way to play pretty much anything that requires precision aiming or access to *lots* of buttons.

That being said, if you’re happy with a controller for most games, then you do you.

Sidescrollers. I can play them on keyboard, god knows I perfected the entire MMZ/ZX collection that way (emulated, years before the actual PC release). and if I were to build an arcade stick these days, it would most certainly be a Mixbox, despite having my controller also modded to split up directional inputs (God, I was hoping Samsho would be better/not on Epic), but sidescrollers are something I always play with a controller.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Can anyone with experience using EVGA's step-up program sanity check this plan of mine? I need a new GPU, but with Ampere being soon™ I don't want to end up holding the bag at the end if my understanding of the program is wrong.

Currently looking to purchase a 2070 Super KO as an interim card.

If 30xx cards are available by September 30th: Step-up to 30xx
If 30xx cards are not available by September 30th: Step-up to 2080 Super

I'm pretty sure the first path works fine. What I'm not certain of is the second path. Is it "too late" to step up to a 2080 if you purchase a 2070 now? EVGA's site appears down (at least the link to their step-up details), so I can't do a close reading of the language to try and find out myself.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I would not plan on step-up. It's really slow and just not great. You can't step-up early because they've got raw sales demand to satisfy, and then later, the only people it works well for are people with a backup GPU to sit on for the month or whatever it takes for shipping.

If you want a 30 series card, buy the cheapest used GPU that you can get by with for the next ~6 months, buy the new GPU you want, and then sell it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I fall into the category of "has a backup GPU" so time isn't an issue: I have not-great-not-terrible cards I can use to putz around with during the waiting period. What I'm worried about is getting rejected for a 2080 if the 30xx plan falls through.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Warmachine posted:

I fall into the category of "has a backup GPU" so time isn't an issue: I have not-great-not-terrible cards I can use to putz around with during the waiting period. What I'm worried about is getting rejected for a 2080 if the 30xx plan falls through.

If that is your concern why not just but a 2080S right now?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Aren't the rumors that Nvidia is only launching 3080 and above cards this year? You might have to wait a while for the entry level cards.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
looking forward to the GT 3030!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
With the last update, people who Stepped Up were waiting 3-5 months for the base Black 2080Ti SKU after registering.

And the best interim card is a 2060 Super, since it's more or less an 2070.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

gradenko_2000 posted:

Joking aside, slot powered cards have yet to reach the sort of budget performance (RX580/1060) people actually want. The 1650 is still 25-30% behind.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

1730, 1750

A low-profile card that significantly outperforms the best integrated graphics will always have some market, I suppose, but Nvidia didn't make a 1630 so it's probably a very low priority to them.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 6, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speak of the devil, Tech Jesus has rumors of a GTX 1650 Ultra. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGcDzBPB_k&t=655s

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1650 ultra, with less CUDA cores than the 1650 super :sad:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It really varies from game to game. Some are fine with mouse and keyboard, but I've played some where it was so clearly designed for a controller that it was seriously unpleasant to play on mouse and keyboard. A lot of fighting/melee mechanics that rely on combos and such come to mind as often just not working well without a controller. I think it was mostly a case of a bad port, but I remember LA Noire being so obnoxious that I stopped playing it in large part because it seemed to really assume you were using a controller.
That's a weird one to pick on as bad, considering it's basically just a lightly tweaked version of GTA 4/5 which play great on KB/M. That said I beat the game back on 360 so I've never played it on PC.

edit: Welp I was totally wrong about that.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Get a wired xbone controller. I'd rather play a game with a dog turd than my steam controller. I got one for five bucks when they were firesaling them because they failed so hard, and that still feels like a ripoff.
The Steam Controller is great at solving the problem it was designed to solve, which is playing games not designed for use with a gamepad. I haven't yet found anything better for playing something like SimCity or Age of Empires on the big screen. If the game has actual proper gamepad support then a standard console gamepad is almost always the better choice.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I am the same, I use controllers on PC which is hooked up to the big screen. I have found PS4 controller to be the best one so far, just ahead of the wireless Xbone pad. The analog movement curve, battery charging/life, ability to play it wired via USB, and force feedback pulls it just ahead. Steam supports it natively which is a huge boon.
Controller preference is obviously subjective, but none of the things you listed are actual advantages of the PS4 controller over the Xbone unit. If you buy the correct rechargeable batteries it'll charge just fine over USB, they're all capable of wired operation, and IMO the Xbone has better force feedback thanks to the trigger vibration in games that use it (which is most games that have an Xbone release).

I think if you're using it in Bluetooth mode the force feedback gets gimped, but that's pretty much a "well don't do that" thing when using a PC. Get the dongle and leave Bluetooth mode for connecting it to a mobile phone or something like that.

---

At least for single player shooters, IMO the true best setup is gamepad+mouse if the primary movement controls are simple enough to allow one-handed gamepad operation. Gamepad for most normal operation, mouse for aiming. Best of both worlds since you get nice smooth analog movement but you still keep the precision of mouse aim. Unfortunately some games (particularly AssCreed and a few other Ubisoft titles) either force you to manually switch input devices or reject all kb/m input when using gamepad and vice versa, preventing that kind of setup from working.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 8, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1650 Pooper

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
For nearly the past decade I've been using controllers on basically everything that isn't an FPS

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

wolrah posted:

That's a weird one to pick on as bad, considering it's basically just a lightly tweaked version of GTA 4/5 which play great on KB/M. That said I beat the game back on 360 so I've never played it on PC.

la noire uses a custom engine not RAGE. and is limited to 30fps because that's what the facial animation/textures were captured as (you're basically projecting low res live action video onto a 3d model for all the character faces). 30fps is going to feel better with a controller since the cut in responsiveness is less jarring with a stick

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yeah, and much of the game systems and other groundwork for LA Noire was already laid by the time Rockstar bought the property to publish. Starting it over as a tweaked GTA would have meant wasting 100% of the money spent on buying what was already there

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-rtx-3070-ampere-gaming-gpu-specs-rumor/

:shrug:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nvidia is going to have a release lineup of:
3070, 3070ti, 3080, 3080ti and 3090. Got it.

Edit: Wait. 3070, 3070ti, 3070ti Gddr6x, 3080, 3080ti, 3090.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 7, 2020

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll wait for the 3060ti

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cryptomining taught Nvidia people would pay stupid money for a GPU, the 2XXX series taught them not everyone would?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Some Goon posted:

Cryptomining taught Nvidia people would pay stupid money for a GPU, the 2XXX series taught them not everyone would?

were sales considered poor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think they underperformed expectations at the top end, though I'm not 100% on that. Like any product segmentation this is just an attempt to get everyone to pay as much as their possibly willing to. Certainly some people will pay 1000+ for the X80ti, but fewer than would pay $700. If you can hit every price bracket you can get both.