Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

I bet having real bread and real cucumbers is an extreme luxury for Martians.

Cucumbers are just worse pickles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Norton the First posted:

Cucumbers are just worse pickles.

i was about to say. If I wanted a cucumber, I'd just go get a glass of water.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

The most Infantry thing Bobbie has ever done

Are infantry famously fans of tiny sandwiches with the crusts cut off?

twistedmentat posted:

I bet having real bread and real cucumbers is an extreme luxury for Martians.

Water intensive to farm, and calorically/nutritionally worthless, so non-Earthers have probably never tasted them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If only there were cucumber sandiwiches
https://i.imgur.com/YpAWcHQ.mp4

Amos is undeniably great, but I think I still like Bobbie best. I need her back on the Roci next season.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are infantry famously fans of tiny sandwiches with the crusts cut off?

Water intensive to farm, and calorically/nutritionally worthless, so non-Earthers have probably never tasted them.

Look at the face she makes after biting into one. It doesn't say good things for the state of Martian cuisine.

davidspackage posted:

Amos is undeniably great, but I think I still like Bobbie best. I need her back on the Roci next season.

:yeah:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

davidspackage posted:

Maybe they reveal that Martian marines also learn how to pilot ships?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bobbie could pilot the space hotrod good enough, and pickles are the ultimate space food. I will not elaborate.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

Look at the face she makes after biting into one. It doesn't say good things for the state of Martian cuisine.

Nah, the vat-grown steaks she requests not just for herself suggests a high level of meal quality.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I swear to god Bobbie's armor on the show has a worse battery than my phone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bet the jetpack took up like 95% of the battery. She was burning it pretty hard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

I swear to god Bobbie's armor on the show has a worse battery than my phone.

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing. Surely future Samsung in 2300 or whatever has invented better battery tech.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I mean the only logical thing to do is a very tiny epstein hatsune miku drive. also functions as a 100% anti recovery method.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Organic Lube User posted:

The Expanse, Season 4: The real Expanse was the friends Amos made along the way...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:allears:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Compared to when she tried Naomi's red kibble:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mu Zeta posted:

I bet the jetpack took up like 95% of the battery. She was burning it pretty hard.

:eng101: It was mentioned the jetpack uses hydrazine, which is a real monopropellant. The jetpack would use very little electricity to run, you just have to pump the fuel over the catalyst and the rocket ignites itself. It was actually used to generate electricity on the shuttle.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Team Bobbie

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see that MCRMC figured their Recon Power Armor would always be operating in supply so having a short battery life wasn't an issue.

Norton the First posted:

Nah, the vat-grown steaks she requests not just for herself suggests a high level of meal quality.

It looks like on Mars everyone eats prepared meals rather than actually cooking. OUtside of the President's dinner, we only ever see food coming in boxes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The battery is a show only thing IIRC. I think it was a mistake to use it as a dramatic element twice in a fairly short period, it wouldn't be as weird if they only used "oh no out of battery!!" once.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Compared to when she tried Naomi's red kibble:

lol

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can't find a gif of Bobbie grinning behind Avasarala as Amos helps her into gravity boots, but that's my favorite scene.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

davidspackage posted:

I can't find a gif of Bobbie grinning behind Avasarala as Amos helps her into gravity boots, but that's my favorite scene.

I didn't always work in space.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Grand Fromage posted:

:eng101: It was mentioned the jetpack uses hydrazine, which is a real monopropellant. The jetpack would use very little electricity to run, you just have to pump the fuel over the catalyst and the rocket ignites itself. It was actually used to generate electricity on the shuttle.

Isn't even residual hydrazine like insanely poisonous? You'd need a moon suit just to be in the same room with it after it's used its thrusters on a mission, wouldn't you?

https://theaviationist.com/2019/05/19/hydrazine-a-significant-hazard-each-time-an-f-16-crashes-or-fires-up-the-emergency-power-unit/

It probably costs as much as a jet fighter so of course MCRN vessels have the facilities to manage this safely but I can't really see getting in and out of one in a yacht's lounge without making everyone sick.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

davidspackage posted:

I'll inform mars to ready the white flag!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

davidspackage posted:

I love her too

She is a pilot too, right? I hope she replaces Alex

edit: vvv yeah I just remembered that right after I posted

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 7, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

She says when they're on the Razorback that she able to fly a ship but is by no means a real pilot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bobbie got full pilot training between seasons to make herself more useful to Avasarala, bing bang boom.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 7, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I really do not think they're going to change the whole series to write out a main character instead of just recasting him. They recast Arjun and he is a very minor character by comparison.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
replace him with nick tarabay playing cotyar's clone or half-brother or some poo poo

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I really do not think they're going to change the whole series to write out a main character instead of just recasting him. They recast Arjun and he is a very minor character by comparison.

Recasted Arjun kinda sucked though,and majorly impacted the season, even for a minor character. I just did not feel any real connection between Arjun and Chrisjen in Season 4, when their love is one of the best parts of Avasarala's characterization. You could argue that was part of the whole point, with her losing that personal connection as part of her losing connection with her ideals in favour of the electoral politic game. But it just made it fall flat to me.

McSpanky posted:

I mean, it is being made by the personal chef of one of the richest people in the system - it might just be a really good goddamn sandwich.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 7, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I mean tbqh out of the whole crew Alex is probably the least important in both show and book timelines. they took out Doctor Horny from s4 and it probably has a simular impact as axing Alex in s5/6. Just let Bobbie talk like a cowboy and miss her family and that's 80% there.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Uh, that character was in S4, they just removed that terrible subplot. It'd be a completely different thing to axing one of the main cast. I don't know what they're going to do but New!Arjun wasn't great and whoever they picked for Alex 2.0 would need to hit the ground running because Anvar really had the character down. Keeping Anvar around, recasting Alex, or cutting Alex - none of these are good options.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Did you know that after plasma burns to the face regrowth gel has a 75% chance of causing a restructuring of the facial bones? Me neither, but it is clearly in the source material. One of the short stories if I remember correctly. No not that one the other one.

Just sci-fi your way out of it writers, a recast is not that hard

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Problem is, they already shot season 5 and we are in Covid so no other production is happening. I think we get season 5 with the same Alex and maybe recast after that.

Sucks so bad, I hate when ethics and morals get in the way of my enjoying tv. Just do your job and make good stuff and don’t gently caress up for the sake of the show man, god damned.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Grand Fromage posted:

The core cast is already pretty lean, they'll probably just recast him, but eliminating the character is a real option. Alex is completely extraneous in the novels and could be replaced by some rando who flies ships good.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Grand Fromage posted:

They recast Arjun and he is a very minor character by comparison.

I'm not sure of the argument you're making here, are you suggesting that recasting a minor cast member is the same as recasting a main cast member? Cuz yeah, shows do that all the time with minor characters but it's not as common for people in the main cast, or at least with less success.

I standby my opinion that (maybe I said this in a different thread? I can't keep them all straight) they make Clarissa the new pilot since she ends up joining the crew at the end of the book/season anyway .

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, they could recast Arjun because he was a minor character. No way they're going to recast Alex. It would be way too jarring.

One option for replacing him would be just have a brand new character for a pilot. It's not like the authors of the books aren't involved in this show, they could bring someone out that fits the setting.

TraderStav posted:

Problem is, they already shot season 5 and we are in Covid so no other production is happening. I think we get season 5 with the same Alex and maybe recast after that.

Sucks so bad, I hate when ethics and morals get in the way of my enjoying tv. Just do your job and make good stuff and don’t gently caress up for the sake of the show man, god damned.
Yeah, we're going to have to deal with Cas Anvar in season 5. Depending on why it feels bad there are a couple ways to think about it:

First, Alex is a fictional character. Even if an rear end in a top hat is portraying him, there's nothing wrong with Alex who is a cool and good guy who doesn't engage in any predatory activity.

Second, if you don't want to contribute to an rear end in a top hat's paycheck, that's valid and unfortunate, but keep in mind all the other actors and people who helped make the show who aren't terrible, and are in fact good and deserve support. If you withdrew support from the show (in the form of a boycott or whatever), you'd be hurting more good folks than the one rear end in a top hat you'd be spiting.

On an emotional level I know both of these rationalizations are unsatisfying, but I think they're worth keeping in mind, and rationalizations in general are worth attempting. The Expanse is cool and Cas Anvar, by all accounts, sucks. Don't let a jerk like him ruin something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Eiba posted:

I mean, they could recast Arjun because he was a minor character. No way they're going to recast Alex. It would be way too jarring.

One option for replacing him would be just have a brand new character for a pilot. It's not like the authors of the books aren't involved in this show, they could bring someone out that fits the setting.

Yeah, we're going to have to deal with Cas Anvar in season 5. Depending on why it feels bad there are a couple ways to think about it:

First, Alex is a fictional character. Even if an rear end in a top hat is portraying him, there's nothing wrong with Alex who is a cool and good guy who doesn't engage in any predatory activity.

Second, if you don't want to contribute to an rear end in a top hat's paycheck, that's valid and unfortunate, but keep in mind all the other actors and people who helped make the show who aren't terrible, and are in fact good and deserve support. If you withdrew support from the show (in the form of a boycott or whatever), you'd be hurting more good folks than the one rear end in a top hat you'd be spiting.

On an emotional level I know both of these rationalizations are unsatisfying, but I think they're worth keeping in mind, and rationalizations in general are worth attempting. The Expanse is cool and Cas Anvar, by all accounts, sucks. Don't let a jerk like him ruin something good.