Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hawkperson posted:

I think they meant the green onions with a thicker white bottom, the internet says they're called Mexican green onions: https://www.colopac.com/product/mexican-green-onion/
Same answer, although if you're mostly using the greens the difference won't be as pronounced.

Speaking of onions, and unrelated to the question, I harvested a bunch of potato onions from the garden yesterday--the same batch that I was using for scapes earlier in the season--and man does a bunch of freshly-harvested onions smell good. A bunch won't handle being cured (onions that produce scapes usually can't be hardened) but holy poo poo are potato onions productive. So losing a handful to that isn't a big deal. And man are potato onion scapes tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i picked up some leeks to grill because my store ran out of corn. I've never grilled a leak before. Any advice beyond rinse well and get rid of the biggest greenest bits?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

i picked up some leeks to grill because my store ran out of corn. I've never grilled a leak before. Any advice beyond rinse well and get rid of the biggest greenest bits?
I think the I-heard-it-on-a-cooking-show trick everybody knows is to grill them high heat just until they take the amount of char you want, and then poach them in something flavourful (just salt water, or something fancier like miso) until they hit your preferred doneness. I don't think I'd bother unless I was really trying to impress someone with my grilled leeks, though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

For the love of god, cook them.

@Rattle: You confused me there, buddy. You soaked the chickpeas, cooked them up, and then froze them?

Yep. A good overnight soak, cook until tender, co and sit in cooking liquor, freeze in said liquor. Defrost and eat. They are a bit dry inside.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Yep. A good overnight soak, cook until tender, co and sit in cooking liquor, freeze in said liquor. Defrost and eat. They are a bit dry inside.

I'd try giving a small batch extra cooking time. Our office, back when I used to go in, would order salads from time to time. They'd have all the fixings. At the end of the day, they'd usually have the chickpeas left over, because (1) people don't dump tons of chickpeas on their salad, and (2) the chickpeas were always dry in the middle. It'd usually take me a good half hour to an hour to get them cooked through to my liking.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I'd try giving a small batch extra cooking time. Our office, back when I used to go in, would order salads from time to time. They'd have all the fixings. At the end of the day, they'd usually have the chickpeas left over, because (1) people don't dump tons of chickpeas on their salad, and (2) the chickpeas were always dry in the middle. It'd usually take me a good half hour to an hour to get them cooked through to my liking.

Ta. I’ll give that a try.

I often think of you when I cook Indian food, at which I have become competent at a basic level thanks to you. Every now and again it’s meh, mostly it’s pretty good, and occasionally I knock it out the park.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

SubG posted:

I think the I-heard-it-on-a-cooking-show trick everybody knows is to grill them high heat just until they take the amount of char you want, and then poach them in something flavourful (just salt water, or something fancier like miso) until they hit your preferred doneness. I don't think I'd bother unless I was really trying to impress someone with my grilled leeks, though.

thanks! yeah, i think I'll grill em over hot coals first then move em off the heat to smoke a bit. everything I'm cooking tonight is on the grill, so I could bring a cast iron pan down to finish poaching them in, but I'm only cooking for my spouse and myself (not that she doesnt deserve to be impressed lol) but I'll keep it simple on my first try

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

thanks! yeah, i think I'll grill em over hot coals first then move em off the heat to smoke a bit. everything I'm cooking tonight is on the grill, so I could bring a cast iron pan down to finish poaching them in, but I'm only cooking for my spouse and myself (not that she doesnt deserve to be impressed lol) but I'll keep it simple on my first try
It's probably out of scope for your project, but I think my recent favourite was to sear leeks in duck fat, but that was just because I was searing duck breast in a skillet already, so I could just chuck them in there with zero prep/planning/whatever. Like I wouldn't bother going through the trouble of setting everything up just to do them that way, but whenever I've got a skillet full of duck fat anyway I'm doing it. Same with frying off some shiitake mushrooms in the fat. A lot of mushrooms will absolutely poo poo the bed if you throw them in a bunch of screaming hot animal fat, but shiitakes are durable as gently caress for mushrooms.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
tbh i only like whole chickpeas when they're cooked to the point of being a little creamy. instant pot or other handy pressure cooker is a great way to get there in about an hour from unsoaked raw.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeah pressure cooker chickpeas make a world of difference and are much cheaper. I'd say I'd never go back to cans but I already have some cans and they are faster so I am not going to tell a lie on the internet.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angerbeet posted:

Yeah pressure cooker chickpeas make a world of difference and are much cheaper. I'd say I'd never go back to cans but I already have some cans and they are faster so I am not going to tell a lie on the internet.

I have cans when I need some at short notice but also like cooking a whole bag from dried and freezing in portions. I don’t have a pressure cooker.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you regularly cook chickpeas and/or beans then a pressure cooker is a worthwhile investment IMO. Doing a soak then cooking for the manual's recommended time, followed by a natural pressure release has yet to fail me for cooking beans and I've been doing it that way for years. I don't know if the results are any better than any other method, but it sure feels extremely consistent.

Never used an instant pot, but at least my presto stovetop model is like that.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Ta. I’ll give that a try.

I often think of you when I cook Indian food, at which I have become competent at a basic level thanks to you. Every now and again it’s meh, mostly it’s pretty good, and occasionally I knock it out the park.

Thanks for reminding me to pull up Dino’s book on cooking vegan, which I bought to impress a girl I was dating and now I inadvertently eat vegan as often as I don’t and I am linking here-

https://smile.amazon.com/Alternativ...ps%2C136&sr=8-1

I’m not wild about the cover art...it would be a shame if we all bought paperback copies and forced it into another printing...wouldn’t it...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Thanks for reminding me to pull up Dino’s book on cooking vegan, which I bought to impress a girl I was dating and now I inadvertently eat vegan as often as I don’t and I am linking here-

https://smile.amazon.com/Alternativ...ps%2C136&sr=8-1

I’m not wild about the cover art...it would be a shame if we all bought paperback copies and forced it into another printing...wouldn’t it...

It's already in second printing. Amazon doesn't have any more copies.

https://www.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=139

The publisher does! You get an un-DRM'd version when you get the physical one. Also if you're not in the USA and don't want to wait for it to arrive, Book Depository sells it with free worldwide shipping.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Alternative-Vegan-Dino-Sarma/9781604865080?ref=grid-view&qid=1593967483064&sr=1-1

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

dino. posted:

It's already in second printing. Amazon doesn't have any more copies.

https://www.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=139

The publisher does! You get an un-DRM'd version when you get the physical one. Also if you're not in the USA and don't want to wait for it to arrive, Book Depository sells it with free worldwide shipping.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Alternative-Vegan-Dino-Sarma/9781604865080?ref=grid-view&qid=1593967483064&sr=1-1

Ah, excellent. That’s the version I have an ebook of, and need to revisit in my new house.

I forget that amazon is often a fulfillment service, like the time I tried to ship a copy of an everlasting meal to a friend in the UK and it ended up shipped from Texas. Fun times. I wonder if he ever got it...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
For cook books, people usually get it within the first year it releases. After that, it slows way down, so it doesn't make financial sense for stores to re-stock it unless there's a lot of demand for it. After that initial year and change, Amazon stopped stocking it, but Barnes and Noble still had. Then they ran out as well, and nobody had it in stock except the publisher. At this point, most of the sales are from the e-book.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what temp water did you add? it makes a difference

What temp to you shoot for? Or what are the differences if you use hot or cold water?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres no gluten in corn but a high starch content, nixtamalization makes it higher. hot water reacts w starch to induce gelation so if the texture complaint is its not chewy enough or supple enough then use hotter water. you can deffo overdo this

completely different rxn w gluten containing dough

gelation needs a lil time which is why to rest the dough also

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 5, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
“Ah done been nixtamalized!”

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Hi thread! I want to crowd source a question because I don’t think it needs its own thread. This weekend my best friend and I are going to sail out on the Long Island Sound to a little harbor about a half day away and overnight on the boat. Since I volunteered as Steward (in addition to ships chaplain, but hey), I’m looking at good low-effort eats. I think the first move is to update the shooter sandwich since I’m on a bread baking kick these days, possibly as a giant ham sandwich.

Any other fun travel foods? We have access to a grill and an electric oven, but I want to make as much ahead as we can so I can spend more time in the head. What I’m saying is, fiber.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Make a batch of pasta salad with veggies and chicken/tuna, that's always a winner.

I've been having a lot of luck with Squash Tika. Slice and fry squash rounds in butter/ghee, then sprinkle with Tika masala powder. A delicious veg side dish.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Make a batch of pasta salad with veggies and chicken/tuna, that's always a winner.

I've been having a lot of luck with Squash Tika. Slice and fry squash rounds in butter/ghee, then sprinkle with Tika masala powder. A delicious veg side dish.

Solid. I’ve got some leftover pasta dough from the weekend, and squash is everywhere. Sadly I have to get to a farmers market and the only one near me is on Sunday. Guess I have to brave the subway...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Will you have a refrigerator or just a cooler?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

make a couple bigass muffaletta

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Will you have a refrigerator or just a cooler?

Cooler, I believe. I don’t intend to bring much perishable, which is why I’m looking at cooked. Weather permitting it’ll be two nights, and I love a good pre-cook. Might have to make extra for my lady since she isn’t coming along.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don't mind me, just testing the custom inline code generator:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My butter keeps falling out of the butter bell and into the water. How do I prevent this? It seems kind of stupid that it's supposed to hold butter but doesn't

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I had to Google "butter bell" and that is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

We have a butter dish, that doesn't rely on defying gravity, and you just put butter in it.

You lift the lid, et voilla! perfect room temperature butter. Is getting your butter wet really that desirable?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 7, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Butter balls are supposed to stop oxidation, and butter doesn't absorb the water. The surface tension water is annoying, but whatever

I just use fridge butter and cut very thin slices :shrug:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I had to Google "butter bell" and that is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

We have a butter dish, that doesn't rely on defying gravity, and you just put butter in it.

You lift the lid, et voilla! perfect room termperature butter. Is getting your butter wet really that desirable?

Getting your butter wet sounds like a particularly unsavoury euphemism.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
I made a cream sauce this weekend and instead of adding cheese, I added salted duck egg.

Best fuggin' cream sauce I've ever made.

I'm telling y'all, Italian food with Chinese characteristics is the future. Someone go open up a bougie restaurant called like Horse & Dragon or The Forbidden Palazzo and run with this, you'll be printing money (for a year or two).

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Amergin posted:

The Forbidden Palazzo

I appreciate you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My butter keeps falling out of the butter bell and into the water. How do I prevent this? It seems kind of stupid that it's supposed to hold butter but doesn't

If it happens you have to invert it, let the butter soften, pack it in, then let it firm up a little. Honestly I hate them and prefer the other kind, especially because oxidation is only happening on a thin surface layer.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

That's never happened to me. Is it a weird shape? Are you putting the butter in soft?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Amergin posted:

I made a cream sauce this weekend and instead of adding cheese, I added salted duck egg.

I'm telling y'all, Italian food with Chinese characteristics is the future. Someone go open up a bougie restaurant called like Horse & Dragon or The Forbidden Palazzo and run with this, you'll be printing money (for a year or two).
鹹鴨蛋 are cool and all but Bon Appétit discovered them, what, like a year ago. And BA discovering a food fad is like your grandma posting a meme on facebook. If you wanted to cash in on a rising food fad I think in this case you would've had to have been in around 2010 or so.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Scientastic posted:

You lift the lid, et voilla! perfect room temperature butter. Is getting your butter wet really that desirable?

entirely new to me as well. it looks like a small crock you'd make butter in. Seems like it'd be a bad place to store butter, though some hot days I've had butter run out from my butter dish too

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Amergin posted:

There's a few restaurants in Sydney that are modern Australian cuisine with a fusion of Asian and western flavours and techniques as Sydney is a very Asian city. There's some Brazilian-Japanese restaurants around too.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Eat This Glob posted:

entirely new to me as well. it looks like a small crock you'd make butter in. Seems like it'd be a bad place to store butter, though some hot days I've had butter run out from my butter dish too

:same:

Butter bells seem too fussy. I'm also a family of four so butter doesn't stick around forever so a butter dish is fine for us.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

:same:

Butter bells seem too fussy. I'm also a family of four so butter doesn't stick around forever so a butter dish is fine for us.

even then the answer is to just not set as much out if that's a problem.

(i was forced to use a butter bell which now sits completely forgotten about in the basement)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

There's a few restaurants in Sydney that are modern Australian cuisine with a fusion of Asian and western flavours and techniques as Sydney is a very Asian city. There's some Brazilian-Japanese restaurants around too.

Brazilian-Japanese is probably the result of the large Japanese population in Brazil.