Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Infinitum posted:

5.) For every other Hunter in combat with Dracula, their actions are a 100% success.

True to a point; things like Crucifix only work if they are used by the engaged hunter.

quote:

I had to double check this.
ALL of Dracula's basic combat deck attacks are against the Engaged Hunter only.

If you've been resolving Claws against multiple opponents you've been doing that wrong as well :v:

Also technically true, Claws only hits another hunter if it's night.

The sad part is how long we played it wrong and how much it became 'mug an old man.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

GrandpaPants posted:

FFG's Arkham series of games should fit, with differing levels of playability.

And I guess I'll be "that person" and say Gloomhaven.

I really really don't think that Gloomhaven scratches the 'Going on adventures' itch personally, and I think it's exactly the problem our group had with the game (I mean, the game is fantastic and we finished it, but we all agreed we didn't really fancy Frosthaven). Because of how disjointed the plot is, and because of how arbitrary the road and city events are, it never feels like you're on one continuous adventure, after the first couple of missions, really.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Gloomhaven narrative campaign/story: Never in the history of boardgaming has so little been done with so much.

And I say this as a Gloomhaven fan.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

!Klams posted:

I really really don't think that Gloomhaven scratches the 'Going on adventures' itch personally, and I think it's exactly the problem our group had with the game (I mean, the game is fantastic and we finished it, but we all agreed we didn't really fancy Frosthaven). Because of how disjointed the plot is, and because of how arbitrary the road and city events are, it never feels like you're on one continuous adventure, after the first couple of missions, really.

I am a big Gloomhaven booster - it's a super solid game and we played a ton of it. But, yeah, I didn't back Frosthaven either. There was just SO MUCH in that initial Gloomhaven box - after 50 missions or so and 17 characters, it just feels like I've got my fill.

And yeah, the overarching plot (and the setting/writing) weren't what was truly great about the game. We enjoyed unlocking characters (and a couple of the characters had fun stories), but the overall plot didn't really come together great or feel cohesive.

I'd totally come back for Laserhaven or something, but I'd look at the box actually hoping for 20 missions and not 100 again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Isaac is working on a map book for GH and FH now, if he released both in a smaller form box with the book instead of tiles and other quality of life adjustments that would be 100% the way to go.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

My spouse likes games with this theme: going on adventures. But, different in that it's not specifically a mechanic and it applies to a variety of games. Looking for other games that might work:

Eg, these different games have that theme:

- Anachrony (adventure space in the expansion)
- Tales of the Arabian Nights (all adventures)
- Caverna (dwarf hats)
- Too Many Bones (...too many bones)

So even though Anachrony is just 'put a dude on a space' and draw a card and get resources, that somehow qualifies.

I think the general theme is like 'draw a card, resolve the unknown'.

e: no gloomhaven

Forgotten Waters is good for this. Mechanics wise there's not a huge amount to it (Pick a spot. See what happens) but it's nicely written, genuinely funny at a lot of points and the companion app is fully voice-acted so it just feels like a great experience over all.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Gloomhaven:Jaws of the Lion is apparently getting a restock at Target in the middle of this week. I’m not sure if the narrative is tighter, but with four fixed characters it seems pretty likely!

The narrative is somewhat barebones and totally on-rails, but I thoroughly enjoyed Aeon’s End Legacy when I played through it a few weeks ago.

E: If you know anyone you can borrow an X-Wing collection from, the fan-made Heroes of the Aturi cluster is a pretty great coop campaign!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 6, 2020

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Stickman posted:

Gloomhaven:Jaws of the Lion is apparently getting a restock at Target in the middle of this week. I’m not sure if the narrative is tighter, but with four fixed characters it seems likely!

I can’t speak to the overall quality of the story yet, but I will say the first 5 missions in JotL are much more connected and tell a better story than the original. The lack of choice comparatively will probably allow that to continue.

If anyone is in search of Whitehall Mystery, it’s says it’s in stock at amazon on the 12th And they just shipped mine today despite that.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion was in stock at target this morning and should arrive at the house Friday.

Champions of Midgard is a game we picked up through a game store swap meet. It’s enjoyable enough to own but I wouldn’t call it a house favorite.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

My spouse likes games with this theme: going on adventures. But, different in that it's not specifically a mechanic and it applies to a variety of games. Looking for other games that might work:

Eg, these different games have that theme:

- Anachrony (adventure space in the expansion)
- Tales of the Arabian Nights (all adventures)
- Caverna (dwarf hats)
- Too Many Bones (...too many bones)

So even though Anachrony is just 'put a dude on a space' and draw a card and get resources, that somehow qualifies.

I think the general theme is like 'draw a card, resolve the unknown'.

e: no gloomhaven

The City of Kings is my go to for coop adventure gaming. It can be played as big episodes that are part of a campaign, or if you just have an hour and fancy something there are shorter scenarios.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Triskelli posted:

Above and Below is a good fit

Also Near and Far and maybe Islebound. There must be a geeklist on BGG for "event cards" or "encounter cards" or something similar, there's a lot of games that use those. Also Scythe.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Forgotten Waters is good for this. Mechanics wise there's not a huge amount to it (Pick a spot. See what happens) but it's nicely written, genuinely funny at a lot of points and the companion app is fully voice-acted so it just feels like a great experience over all.

This was going to be my suggestion for all the same points. The voice acted scenarios really help make it a fun and engaging experience.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Also Near and Far and maybe Islebound. There must be a geeklist on BGG for "event cards" or "encounter cards" or something similar, there's a lot of games that use those. Also Scythe.

Interestingly, their Scythe strategy is “get all the adventure cards”

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We got The Crew early on in the pandemic. I enjoy it, my wife adores it, and our teenaged daughter hates it to the point where she added a Mother's Day coupon for one game in her annual card. It's a 3-5 player game that doesn't Zoom well.

A couple of weeks ago, we finally decided to try two-player variant, and who needs kids?! Turns out, the dummy player, JARVIS, is actually a lot of fun to play. JARVIS gets a tableau of 7 face-down cards with 7 face-up cards placed on top of them. One person (the space captain) controls JARVIS and decides where he sits in turn order and what he plays.

My wife is really into pinochle and desperately misses her group. I think The Crew is scratching that particular trick-taking itch. We're on mission 28 or so (out of maybe 50?).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In similar news, Nokosu Dice is an interesting twist on trick taking and back in stock. It adds in dice you can use for tricks and draft at the start of the round.

https://www.bigcatgames.biz/product/nokosu-dice/73?cs=true

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

SelenicMartian posted:

A Repent Harlequin reskin where the Harlequin drops jelly beans, and the city operates on a tight schedule.

Actually, why isn't it a game yet?

Isn't this just Fafnir? :v:

syzyg
Jul 6, 2020

Stickman posted:

Gloomhaven:Jaws of the Lion is apparently getting a restock at Target in the middle of this week. I’m not sure if the narrative is tighter, but with four fixed characters it seems pretty likely!

I picked it up last week and played through about two-thirds of the scenarios. To be honest, we kind of stopped reading or caring about the story. It may feel more connected than base Gloomhaven, but that didn't stop it from feeling mostly like boring generic fantasy. That being said, it was still great fun. The classes were cool, and man, that scenario book is a godsend. I can't recall if base Gloomhaven has a learn to play guide, but it guides you through the first 5 scenarios with really nice detail, layering in little bits of complexity each time you start a new one. One player had never touched Gloomhaven (or many strategic board games at all for that matter) and he had picked it up by the second or third scenario.

We had a blast with it, but maybe keep your story expectations low.

syzyg fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 7, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

John Dyne posted:

True to a point; things like Crucifix only work if they are used by the engaged hunter.

Also technically true, Claws only hits another hunter if it's night.

The sad part is how long we played it wrong and how much it became 'mug an old man.'

Yeah wasn't trying to gloss it over, more that we were discussing 'lanes'

Rescheduled boardgame day is this weekend, and I think Fury is on the playlist.

Feast for Odin, Fury of Dracula, Brass Birmingham.
A good day. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SettingSun posted:

I can't speak too much about how Midgard compares to other games of its type, but the Valhalla expansion is very good. As you might have seen, you churn through your warriors quite liberally. With Valhalla, dead warriors become currency you trade in for rewards, and in some cases, better warriors. So now there's a new strategic layer in getting certain combinations of your dice killed so you can reap these lucrative rewards.

I only played it once but I still fondly remember when I intentionally shipped an army off without enough food so that someone could die and buy me some neat stuff. "Sorry Sven, you're worth more to me dead than alive."

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My friend said of Gloomhaven:

They should have made it so that the missions all had a reward that was a cards from a special deck. The cards are just a little blurb about a quest, some keywords about it, and the page number in the book. When you complete a quest it tells you to rip up that card (if it's not repeatable).

Honestly, I think this is genius, and I think it would have MASSIVELY improved the 'story' aspect. The main problem with Gloomhaven is that after you've been away from it, you completely forget what you've done and where you're at, so you have to go and look at what's not been crossed out on the map and hunt for missions. But sometimes you don't cross them out maybe, and hunt it down in the book, and 'Oh wait, we've done this one'. And there's no reason you'd remember because there's no progression. Remembering which missions are available is very much a meta / out of game experience that slows things down. And as a result 'choosing' missions feels very out of character.

Having a handful of cards that all have a small amount of flavour on them would help you choose quests, and then you'd care a lot more about your undertakings. You'd also be reading out the blurbs often (to ask which one should we do now) which would make them more memorable. You'd remember 'not going back to Hale for ages' as a choice that was funny, maybe, or like, 'we went dragon hunting' as a proactive choice?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

!Klams posted:

My friend said of Gloomhaven:

They should have made it so that the missions all had a reward that was a cards from a special deck. The cards are just a little blurb about a quest, some keywords about it, and the page number in the book. When you complete a quest it tells you to rip up that card (if it's not repeatable).

Honestly, I think this is genius, and I think it would have MASSIVELY improved the 'story' aspect. The main problem with Gloomhaven is that after you've been away from it, you completely forget what you've done and where you're at, so you have to go and look at what's not been crossed out on the map and hunt for missions. But sometimes you don't cross them out maybe, and hunt it down in the book, and 'Oh wait, we've done this one'. And there's no reason you'd remember because there's no progression. Remembering which missions are available is very much a meta / out of game experience that slows things down. And as a result 'choosing' missions feels very out of character.

Having a handful of cards that all have a small amount of flavour on them would help you choose quests, and then you'd care a lot more about your undertakings. You'd also be reading out the blurbs often (to ask which one should we do now) which would make them more memorable. You'd remember 'not going back to Hale for ages' as a choice that was funny, maybe, or like, 'we went dragon hunting' as a proactive choice?

My group did this with a google doc. Small blurbs and a mission tree that showed where we came from and where to go next.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If people are fans of Gloomhaven you should check out Roll Player Adventures up on KS atm.

It's basically a D&D Choose Your Own Adventure game.

There's a TTS module for testing
As well as a Tabletopia module

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2fY8AZ2rs8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9nA5I8qQpg

I'm tapped out atm, but I've backed it for a $1 so I hope they can take late pledges.
Even if I don't play it with anyone, and I just play Frosthaven with my group, I'm still 100% in on a Choose Your Own Adventure type campaign.

Plus it's a Thunderworks game, and those lads do good poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Z-Man have just confirmed Pandemic Legacy: Season Zero. More details to follow this month.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Z-Man have just confirmed Pandemic Legacy: Season Zero. More details to follow this month.

"Should we have a new season of Pandemic in a year with an actual Pandemic? I mean.. it's a little on the nose, but we've already done all this work..."
"... Pandemic Zero"
:hmmyes:

Honestly if I don't need to play Season 1 or 2 to play this I'll probably grab it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's a prequel apparently. I wonder how you play Pandemic without the pandemic.

I can fully recommend Pandemic Season One and Two though, they were both rad. They did a great job adding little extra tweaks and knobbly bits to the solid base game of Pandemic, and the plot was solid throughout and caught us off-guard a few times.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Lady you don't need to burn the loving formulae to read it, just turn on a goddamn light. Christ! How high are you right now?"
"No, it's 'hi how are you'."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gort posted:

It's a prequel apparently. I wonder how you play Pandemic without the pandemic.

From the look of the box art it appears to be an espionage based story. Maybe players are trying to create the pandemic?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You are trying to stop the plague that is Communism.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah it's looking very Cold War espionage-ish

Oh and hey TIL'd that the Doomsday Clock is the closest it's ever been to Midnight!
So that's fun!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Infinitum posted:

If people are fans of Gloomhaven you should check out Roll Player Adventures up on KS atm.

Eh, GH is mediocre narrative paired with brilliant gameplay, but this is just mediocre everything. Cartographers remains an outlier of quality in the Rollplayer line.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Deep Water Games has a bundle on sale right now for $70 with the following titles:

Welcome To New Las Vegas
Fantastic Factories
Sorcerer & Stones
Trial of the Temples
Mystery of the Temples
Realm of Sand
Jixia Academy (Hanamikoji with different art)
Shadows of Kyoto
Crows Overkill
Claim
Claim 2

I was looking at getting Fantastic Factories and Welcome To New Las Vegas anyway, so I just decided to bite on it. Got it in the mail today and looking to try out some of these EmporerS4 games this weekend.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

Cartographers remains an outlier of quality in the Rollplayer line.

Has anyone tried the Lockup game? The secret bid worker placement looks interesting to me, I don't know if I have a good area majority game in my collection.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Question:

Would you consider 18XX to be a single family of games with many implementations, an umbrella of several families of games, or all completely unique?

If the second option, how many families are we talking, and what are they?

I need them for a project.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uhhh. All three??

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Not the third one.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Infinitum posted:

Yeah it's looking very Cold War espionage-ish

Oh and hey TIL'd that the Doomsday Clock is the closest it's ever been to Midnight!
So that's fun!

Eh, the doomsday clock people are full of poo poo and a little arbitrary, I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nea posted:

Eh, the doomsday clock people are full of poo poo and a little arbitrary, I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Yeah, I agree, personally. It's highly arbitrary and is ultimately a pointless exercise, I feel.

In other news, 5/8 of my games orders have arrived! Although naturally, it's the solo games that haven't arrived yet, so I'm not really any better off, yet :v:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I think there are two or three strains of 18xx: 1830-a-likes (e.g. 1830, 1889, 1882, 18Cheasapeake) operational games/18xx as euros (e.g. 1822, 1853, 1846, 1861 etc), and the one I am less sure about is financial gimmick games (e.g. 1817)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Nea posted:

A hot take right here. A non-profit founded and guided by scientists is 'full of poo poo' and 'a little arbitrary'.

The End fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I agree, personally. It's highly arbitrary and is ultimately a pointless exercise, I feel.

In other news, 5/8 of my games orders have arrived! Although naturally, it's the solo games that haven't arrived yet, so I'm not really any better off, yet :v:

I don't know man. Talking about and drawing attention to existential threats doesn't feel pointless to me.