Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keystoned posted:

Anyone have advice on hooking the myq app for garage doors into homekit? I had it working on the old app but they replaced it with a new one and now i cant get it setup again.

I can control the garage with the app, just not homekit which is more convenient.

The same thing just happened with my Rachio 3. One day I was able to tell siri to turn on a certain zone, and now it won't connect. I can't figure it out either, so I've just been using the app :(

Also, regarding myQ, did you replace your garage opener with a smart opener, or just using what looks to be a module to your existing opener? We just moved in and our opener is 20 years old and the remotes won't program into our car Homelink mirrors, which is super annoying. Debating just replacing the unit and am looking at the fancy wifi ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Man, the Blink app for the XT/XT2 cameras is so disappointing. There's like no granularity on getting motion notifications between cameras, or "systems" for that matter. Even if I have multiple sync modules ("systems"), it's either I get notifications for everything, or nothing.

I have a camera over my driveway, where my wife parks her car, that I want all notifications for regardless of time of day.
I have another camera over my pool, where I basically only want notifications overnight. Right now, whenever my kids are in the pool, it just records constantly and filled my storage up to 100% in like a day.

So now I have to turn ALL motion notifications off (because it's a per-account setting, oddly enough). This is the only thing you can set a schedule to.

I'm thinking about returning these cameras if there's a better solution. I have the Ring doorbell, which works great and has awesome scheduling / motion notification suppressing options. But the Ring Spotlight Cams A) are way more expensive, and B) come with a subscription model to store videos in the cloud. B is why I originally decided to go with the Blink cameras, but not having granularity to suppress motion notifications on them is super annoying.

Any other alternatives I should be looking at?

Follow up: I just returned the Blink cameras today and ordered a couple of Ring Spotlight cams instead, despite the monthly fee. The Ring app is sort of a mess, but there's way more control over motion and notifications and I guess that's worth not having some weird account-wide notification blanket setting.

I think the Rings were $40 off or something this weekend too, which made the higher price a bit easier to swallow. I'll probably grab a couple solar panels later if these work out.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The same thing just happened with my Rachio 3. One day I was able to tell siri to turn on a certain zone, and now it won't connect. I can't figure it out either, so I've just been using the app :(

Also, regarding myQ, did you replace your garage opener with a smart opener, or just using what looks to be a module to your existing opener? We just moved in and our opener is 20 years old and the remotes won't program into our car Homelink mirrors, which is super annoying. Debating just replacing the unit and am looking at the fancy wifi ones.

I got a myq bridge that connects to my existing opener. Its myq compatible but doesnt have it built in.

It worked fine on the old app and still works fine as far as notifications and open/closing from the app. Just annoying i cant use the homekit piece in quick launch to open and close. Also with carplay i had a button on my cars screen for the garage also and now thats gone. First world problems i know...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keystoned posted:

I got a myq bridge that connects to my existing opener. Its myq compatible but doesnt have it built in.

It worked fine on the old app and still works fine as far as notifications and open/closing from the app. Just annoying i cant use the homekit piece in quick launch to open and close. Also with carplay i had a button on my cars screen for the garage also and now thats gone. First world problems i know...

I've been looking at new openers since mine is old, more specifically the Chamberlain myQ openers. I see that even though you buy the myQ opener, you need to buy their myQ Home Bridge to enable HomeKit access, which is insanely stupid. You'd think the hardware would just be included in the opener itself.

Also, I see that IFTTT access requires a subscription :lol:. It looks like they made it free after all the complaining, but it's listed as "free for a limited time" or something. Which I read as "yeah have it for free, but we're going to charge you for access again at some undetermined point in the future."

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 10, 2020

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I'm having a new home built and have the option to get prewiring for the security system (all windows, doors, keypads, motion sensor). I'm a first time homeowner so I have ZERO experience with security systems.

Is a wired system rather than a wireless still the recommended way to go at this point? I also have the option to get equipment through the company responsible for wiring my house but I'm assuming I'm way better off figuring out that part on my own at the prices they want to charge (specifically, over $1100 installed for an unspecified "smart" security setup with a panel, a battery, a keypad, a motion sensor, and a siren)

ickna
May 19, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm having a new home built and have the option to get prewiring for the security system (all windows, doors, keypads, motion sensor). I'm a first time homeowner so I have ZERO experience with security systems.

Is a wired system rather than a wireless still the recommended way to go at this point? I also have the option to get equipment through the company responsible for wiring my house but I'm assuming I'm way better off figuring out that part on my own at the prices they want to charge (specifically, over $1100 installed for an unspecified "smart" security setup with a panel, a battery, a keypad, a motion sensor, and a siren)

Wired is always preferable when it is an option. With wireless you are either going to have to wire them for power anyway or janitor batteries over the lifetime of the device. Wired also allows the whole system to remain powered from a single source battery back up like a UPS during power failure.

If you are in a densely populated area, other wireless devices will compete for the same air space; having more things wired leaves bandwidth available so if you do add something wireless down the road you aren’t in as crowded of an environment.

As to sourcing your own equipment, you could probably save some money but you would need to spend the tine researching compatibility and doing comparison shopping. There is some merit to a turn-key installation in knowing that it will Just Work and that the company has experience installing it properly. I would want to know what exactly they are using so that I could add things or manage it myself after the installation.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I finally took the plunge on a Hue starter kit when I saw one on sale at Best Buy and now I'm hooked. I'm reading that future bulbs / electronics don't have to be from Philips but will sync with the hub as long as they're on the Zigbee 3.0 protocol. I'm assuming this thread has a favorite brand for A19 bulbs but can anyone recommend recessed lighting fixtures and thin bulbs that can fit in vanity bathroom fixtures?

edit: In case it matters I'm using homekit

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 17, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
While they are not widely available and you will probably get them online they do make Hue bulbs that fit a pretty wide variety of outlets, you can then get adapters for the ones that don't oftentimes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah the problem isn't the connector, it's the width of the bulb itself. The ones in there now basically don't get any wider than the connector- there's about 2" of space

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
IKEA sells a wide variety of smart bulbs that (probably) won’t burn your house down.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My partner and I have fixed schedules on a 2 week rotation. Unfortunately, I can't find a home thermostat that does more than a 7 day schedule and to make things work we'd need a 14 day schedule. Is there any easy solution with a Nest that doesn't involve raspberry pies and learning to program?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have a Logitech Harmony remote (the one with the LCD screen and has a hub) and I added my air conditioner to the remote since the air conditioner just so happens to be in the line of sight for the Harmony hub.

I can turn the air conditioner off and on just fine with the remote but I'd love to be able to do it with Amazon Echo/Alexa. Unfortunately it seems as though the only way to control it with Alexa is to add the air conditioner as its own "activity". What this means is that if I ask Alexa to turn on the air conditioner, it turns off the TV, receiver, and Android TV box before doing so. I guess because I'm "switching activities". Makes sense if you're switching between playing PlayStation and cable TV. Pretty dumb if you just want to turn an air conditioner on.

From doing a bit of googling it seems like Alexa cannot control Harmony devices, only activities, which is the cause of this issue.

Does anyone know of a round-about way I can accomplish what I want? If Alexa could control individual devices instead of only working with activities I'd be fine. I'd really appreciate any help on accomplishing this.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I changed air conditioners but I did that with my old one, literally just had an activity for the air conditioner. Could say 'Alexa turn on air conditioner' and it would use the harmony activity to do it. I think there are options to not turn off other activities. Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't mess with it that much.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I have a Logitech Harmony remote (the one with the LCD screen and has a hub) and I added my air conditioner to the remote since the air conditioner just so happens to be in the line of sight for the Harmony hub.

I can turn the air conditioner off and on just fine with the remote but I'd love to be able to do it with Amazon Echo/Alexa. Unfortunately it seems as though the only way to control it with Alexa is to add the air conditioner as its own "activity". What this means is that if I ask Alexa to turn on the air conditioner, it turns off the TV, receiver, and Android TV box before doing so. I guess because I'm "switching activities". Makes sense if you're switching between playing PlayStation and cable TV. Pretty dumb if you just want to turn an air conditioner on.

From doing a bit of googling it seems like Alexa cannot control Harmony devices, only activities, which is the cause of this issue.

Does anyone know of a round-about way I can accomplish what I want? If Alexa could control individual devices instead of only working with activities I'd be fine. I'd really appreciate any help on accomplishing this.

I think you could do something with Home Assistant. It integrates well with Harmony, and then you could send commands from Alexa to HA to Harmony to control the AC unit.

The proper integration for Home Assistant and Alexa costs a small amount each month for the cloud integration but lets you expose any scripts/devices/automations as scenes in the Alexa app.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Slash posted:

I think you could do something with Home Assistant. It integrates well with Harmony, and then you could send commands from Alexa to HA to Harmony to control the AC unit.

The proper integration for Home Assistant and Alexa costs a small amount each month for the cloud integration but lets you expose any scripts/devices/automations as scenes in the Alexa app.

I don't mind paying a one time fee for things but a monthly bill annoys me to no end. Is there any way to do what I want with Home Assistant without adding another bill in my life?

Also what is Home Assistant exactly? A phone app? Who makes it? Only asking because it's a generic term and I don't want to get the wrong thing :shobon:

Red Warrior posted:

I changed air conditioners but I did that with my old one, literally just had an activity for the air conditioner. Could say 'Alexa turn on air conditioner' and it would use the harmony activity to do it. I think there are options to not turn off other activities. Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't mess with it that much.

Sadly there's no such option in Harmony.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
https://www.home-assistant.io/

It's free, and has a companion android app (iphone too maybe?), but it's local control only. There's a cloud option for like $5/mo if you want remote control.

I've been running it for like 2 months now and I love it. Great centralized control for everything, and it integrates well with most major smart home devices. There is a Harmony integration, but I haven't used it because I haven't used my harmony since I got a new smart TV a few years back.

Downside is it has to run on a server or something. A raspberry pi works as well and is what I'm running it on. They literally have an image that you burn to an SD card and just pop it in and go. There's other ways to set it up but that's by far the easiest that I've seen.

Helps to have a programming background, though. There's a GUI to design automations, but I found it to be kinda hokey and limiting. But I have a programming background, so I just do everything that way because it feels WAY more natural to me.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 23, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Install Node-RED for automations. If you go with HASS.io to an SD-Card, it'll be available in the add-on store as a docker image.

Also, depending on your skills, you could set up a VPN. Dynamic DNS on your router to be reachable from anywhere, install Wireguard add-on into HASS.io, Wireguard client on the phone/tablet, presto, free remote functionality.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Is Node RED just a GUI that writes YAML? Or is it its own thing? I honestly like the text interface because I'm used to that sort of thing, but it certainly has a learning curve and it's not obvious how to do certain things unless you google. I'd hate to lose it though.

Also lol, I need to start checking updates before I push them. Turns out there was a change in the latest HA update that broke my Philips Hue integration. No wonder my lights didn't turn off last night (or on this morning!).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm a PLC programmer and just recently started dabbling with Node-RED. At this point I might just write an ikea trådfri gateway library for a Siemens PLC instead... :downs:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Is Node RED just a GUI that writes YAML? Or is it its own thing? I honestly like the text interface because I'm used to that sort of thing, but it certainly has a learning curve and it's not obvious how to do certain things unless you google. I'd hate to lose it though.
It's its own thing. Flow graphs for messages that get generated, and each node processes the message, and if it has an output, either passes it on or not, and if it does, can also modify it. You can also write custom nodes, either as plugin or just dropping JS straight into a function node. The ecosystem is relatively big, so there's plenty of nodes for everything to install.

Personally I don't like YAML for scripting, because it's just a bunch of conditional triggers for actions. If I have to script something, I would have preferred it the way OpenHAB does it, some JS type of contraption that allows complex activities. Node-RED allows for that.

You can run both in parallel, tho. YAML automations don't stop because Node-RED is installed and running.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 24, 2020

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I don't mind paying a one time fee for things but a monthly bill annoys me to no end. Is there any way to do what I want with Home Assistant without adding another bill in my life?

There is a way but it's a lot more janky. You can configure HA to emulate a Hue Bridge and then create a dummy light bulb. You then add that light bulb into Alexa and set it's brightness in routines.

You then monitor the brightness of that bulb in HA and kick off different scripts based on that.

It works fine but it's really fiddly to configure, maintain and extend.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

gently caress that poo poo. I tried the Hue bridge thing at a friend's place. It breaks as soon you sneeze the wrong time of day.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's its own thing. Flow graphs for messages that get generated, and each node processes the message, and if it has an output, either passes it on or not, and if it does, can also modify it. You can also write custom nodes, either as plugin or just dropping JS straight into a function node. The ecosystem is relatively big, so there's plenty of nodes for everything to install.

Personally I don't like YAML for scripting, because it's just a bunch of conditional triggers for actions. If I have to script something, I would have preferred it the way OpenHAB does it, some JS type of contraption that allows complex activities. Node-RED allows for that.

You can run both in parallel, tho. YAML automations don't stop because Node-RED is installed and running.

I've been meaning to dig into it myself, but you could always write your automations as callable python scripts or even replace the automation system with something like AppDaemon which seems a lot cleaner to me personally.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Slash posted:

There is a way but it's a lot more janky. You can configure HA to emulate a Hue Bridge and then create a dummy light bulb. You then add that light bulb into Alexa and set it's brightness in routines.

You then monitor the brightness of that bulb in HA and kick off different scripts based on that.

It works fine but it's really fiddly to configure, maintain and extend.

I actually already have a real physical Hue bridge. Is there a less janky way of implementing it then?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I actually already have a real physical Hue bridge. Is there a less janky way of implementing it then?

Nope.

Thinking about it briefly you could maybe try something clever with brightness levels/colour levels of the hue bulbs to communicate between alexa and HA, but you'd be on your own and it's a pretty advanced configuration for someone just starting out.

The monthly cost of proper alexa integration is $5 per month.
https://www.nabucasa.com/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm super lazy but not lazy enough that I'm willing to pay $5 per month to be able to turn my AC on/off with my voice.

I just got a Raspberry pi at the recommendation of this thread though, and am almost done setting up Home Assistant. Is this going to be a waste of time?" There's no way to tell Home Assistant to send the A/C on/off command via Alexa?

All of this stupidness because Harmony insists on turning off the TV if I turn the air conditioner on.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Anyone know if IFTTT would work as a bridge between Alexa and HA?

I don't know, I'm asking. It'd be kinda hokey since it's an extra layer, but if it's possible then you'd have alexa control without paying $5/mo.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah I'm super lazy but not lazy enough that I'm willing to pay $5 per month to be able to turn my AC on/off with my voice.

I just got a Raspberry pi at the recommendation of this thread though, and am almost done setting up Home Assistant. Is this going to be a waste of time?" There's no way to tell Home Assistant to send the A/C on/off command via Alexa?

All of this stupidness because Harmony insists on turning off the TV if I turn the air conditioner on.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/alexa/ is how you can do manual HA/Alexa integration. The $5/mo makes it easy and allows you to do it without exposing your Home Assistant interface to the external internet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can use the emulated-hue stuff in HA to control a switch, so you should be able to set it up so that you “Alexa turn off AC” and it works. People on the Discord are mostly quite helpful once you get into the right channel.

(You don’t need to use the $5/mo Nabu Casa stuff for full Alexa integration, but the other ways involve setting up your own AWS Lambda functions and doing a bunch of network plumbing.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kalman posted:

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/alexa/ is how you can do manual HA/Alexa integration. The $5/mo makes it easy and allows you to do it without exposing your Home Assistant interface to the external internet.

Thank you! Seems like a pain in the rear end but there is nothing I hate more than more bills in my life, so I will try this route.

Subjunctive posted:

You can use the emulated-hue stuff in HA to control a switch, so you should be able to set it up so that you “Alexa turn off AC” and it works. People on the Discord are mostly quite helpful once you get into the right channel.

(You don’t need to use the $5/mo Nabu Casa stuff for full Alexa integration, but the other ways involve setting up your own AWS Lambda functions and doing a bunch of network plumbing.)

Is there an explanation as to this "emulated Hue" stuff? I am confused as to why the Hue would be involved at all since it's just a Logitech Harmony IR hub blasting a signal to my air conditioner.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LIs there an explanation as to this "emulated Hue" stuff? I am confused as to why the Hue would be involved at all since it's just a Logitech Harmony IR hub blasting a signal to my air conditioner.

For most devices, Alexa control of them is driven by the cloud-side software, but it knows how to drive Hue devices over the local network. By emulating a Hue you can get it to make local requests instead of having to wire up all the cloud connections.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

For most devices, Alexa control of them is driven by the cloud-side software, but it knows how to drive Hue devices over the local network. By emulating a Hue you can get it to make local requests instead of having to wire up all the cloud connections.

Is there a guide on that somewhere? This is really confusing.

Also what's the recommended HA discord? :shobon:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a guide on that somewhere? This is really confusing.

Also what's the recommended HA discord? :shobon:

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/emulated_hue/ is a guide of sorts, and this is an invite to the voice assistants channel on the discord: https://discord.gg/cpfzEav

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey so on the HA chat: I've been wanting to make slick/fancy GUIs so that I can load it to a tablet that guests can use to not gently caress up all my lights by using the wall switches. My understanding is that I want to have HACS installed if I want any hope of it looking pretty. Which I do.

So it says that I have to transfer the files to HA via SSH. I haven't used putty in ages and I'm utterly lost in setting up the connection. Anyone have a step-by-step guide somewhere?

or is there a better way to transfer files that I'm missing?

edit:

also it seems like I CAN upload files via the file editor add-on, but it only does 1 file at a time

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 24, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Install the Samba add-on, IMO.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Subjunctive posted:

Install the Samba add-on, IMO.

I was just looking at that. Is that all it takes? Seems too easy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Card-tools, Mini-graph-card, Button-card and Layout-card are plugins you probably want. Especially the last one for controlling column layouts, but you'll have to dive to straight YAML for UIs. That and a good theme.

And yeah, the Samba add-on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

If you have an ipad or an Apple TV you can use homebridge to do this. Or just install home assistant and don't have it do anything but forward the device to homekit.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Home assistant's "new" front end called Lovelace is perfectly fine for creating a fancy front end for a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

DaveSauce posted:

I was just looking at that. Is that all it takes? Seems too easy.

Yeah, Samba add-on is the way to go. I know some people have a git repository that is a mirror of all configuration files and then a plug-in on the Home Assistant machine that checks and syncs automatically.