Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Hot water bottle/heating pad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

take me to the beaver posted:

Hot water bottle/heating pad?

Won't there be a risk of that making it too hot though?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just touch the area with your hand before putting the baby in and if it's too hot wait a bit?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I ordered my husband a parenting book for dads for a Father’s Day present. I hope he likes it. :)

I also wanted to order a cute little dress with a cardigan as a Christmas outfit. It was only $20, but the shipping was $30, so I noped out of that.

My mom said she bought us a stroller at her local secondhand store. She said it looked like new. She also said she got me a bunch of baby clothes too because baby clothes are only 25 cents at the secondhand store. I’ll be seeing her for the first time since... early March I think, next week, as we’re inviting our dads out for a little backyard BBQ.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Koivunen posted:

YYYEEESSSS I finally got my first period, 14 months postpartum. We want to start trying for baby two next month, and I was seriously stressed out that my period would never come back. Time to whip out the LH strips and get Glow back on my phone! Hopefully in a few months I can report back with good news.

I'm at 19 months and still no period. We are thinking about having another, because we are stupid and hate ourselves and sleep. I kept saying to myself never again and then I see babies and think it wasn't so bad... I want more little tiny snuggles. Ugh.

Had a bunch of blood work done because I'm now 36, just to make sure it wasn't early menopause. Next we are doing an ovary ultrasound. Part of me thinks it would be great to have this option taken off the table so I can get sleep again. I'm so tired of teething.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

L0cke17 posted:

I have more newborn sleeping questions. We finally managed to figure out that what our 4 week old kid wants is not actually contact with a person, but to not have a transition from warm body during feeding to cold mattress. When we lay him down where one of us was sitting or laying down and the surface is already warm he will fall asleep and stay asleep for hours, but this is difficult and annoying to do with his crib and bassinet. Any suggestions on how to keep his crib warm enough he will not be startled awake by the cold as he transitions?

Flannel sheets tend to feel less cold than cotton.

Special shoutout to the absolute dipshit that lied on the Covid screening questionnaire and exposed a waiting room full of pregnant women at the perinatologist's office. gently caress you lady! That was a fun phone call to get, and it'll be an even more fun call to make to daycare tomorrow.

ETA: Sarah, I went through something similar recently, but it was for increasingly heavy intermenstrual bleeding. GYN said it could be premature ovarian failure and ran a bunch of blood tests, including an ovarian reserve assessment. I was straight panicking because we were discussing kid #2. Turns out it was just my broke rear end thyroid loving with everything else, and compensating for that slammed the rest of my hormones back into place. Fingers crossed you get some answers soon.

2DEG fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 16, 2020

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Getting induced tomorrow, I will be 42 weeks.

I have spent the whole morning in bed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Woah, good luck tomorrow!!!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Hot drat 42 weeks :aaa: good luck!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah let us know how it went if and when you feel up to it!

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib
Our little man arrived last week on June 9th. I was induced the day prior, and suffered a 3rd degree perineal tear. Supposedly I'm too good at pushing for my own good.

I keep screwing over my recovery because I'm sick of laying down in bed, but other than that I have a healthy kido that makes me light up when he smiles or looks at us, even during the 4 am feeds.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Rufflebutt posted:

Our little man arrived last week on June 9th. I was induced the day prior, and suffered a 3rd degree perineal tear. Supposedly I'm too good at pushing for my own good.

I keep screwing over my recovery because I'm sick of laying down in bed, but other than that I have a healthy kido that makes me light up when he smiles or looks at us, even during the 4 am feeds.

The smiles are amazing. Our kid didnt smile until this week at almost 5 weeks old. But when he does it's just so adorable :kimchi:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Past few days, my almost 2 week old has been freaking the gently caress out in the evenings colic style. And even then when he does those involuntary smiles I'm like :3

Edit: gently caress colic tho

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

remigious posted:

Yeah let us know how it went if and when you feel up to it!

Honestly, objectively speaking, it was rough. Mostly because of a postpartum haemmorage and loss of blood clots that totalled around 1.2 litres. I was in great hands though and kept informed throughout, so even though it was thoroughly unpleasant (understatement), I was able twice to avoid a rush to theatre for emergency surgery.

Labour was fine, as far as labour goes. Induced but outside of gas and air when they broke waters and palpated clots out, was able to manage without drugs.

Can post the whole saga if interested, but am conscious that I don’t want to frighten people who aren’t far off having babies.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Wow, that sounds like a terrifying amount of blood clots, I’m sorry you had to go through that. That’s the sort of thing I wouldn’t have thought to be worried about. Really glad you came out if it ok and didn’t have to have emergency surgery!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

remigious posted:

Wow, that sounds like a terrifying amount of blood clots, I’m sorry you had to go through that. That’s the sort of thing I wouldn’t have thought to be worried about. Really glad you came out if it ok and didn’t have to have emergency surgery!

Honestly the risks of that kind of thing are small, just got unlucky. I had a postpartum haemmorage last time too, though not as dramatic.

I think the risks of a big bleed are something like 6%, so not something that you should occupy your mind with.

Bloodwork showed decent haemoglobin because I had good levels before the bleed, so I was able to be discharged after 24 hours.

Was told the blood loss could affect milk supply, but she has been so keen to feed (nonstop from 9 pm to 4 am first night home) that my milk started to come in a little after 48 hours post birth. Just started a course of iron to build back up, should be fine.

Happily, last night was not a feeding marathon like the first night, and she is a very cute, calm baby who LOVES the boob.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Aww what a cutie :3:

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib

Tom Smykowski posted:

Past few days, my almost 2 week old has been freaking the gently caress out in the evenings colic style. And even then when he does those involuntary smiles I'm like :3

Edit: gently caress colic tho

We've been dealing with a similar situation the past 2 nights, he will be 2 weeks on Tuesday. I'm thinking it's more cluster feeding, but I'm also a clueless first time parent.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Rufflebutt posted:

We've been dealing with a similar situation the past 2 nights, he will be 2 weeks on Tuesday. I'm thinking it's more cluster feeding, but I'm also a clueless first time parent.

My son screamed between 7pm - 11pm every evening between ages 3 - 8 weeks, didn't change if he was on the boob (which he was bad at) or got a bottle of expressed milk

:iiam:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
It’s the witching hour! But it’s actually more like several hours. It’s very common in tiny babies. My daughter outgrew it around three months old.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

My kid hit 2 weeks yesterday and is ramping up the scream time duration. We've had luck with the 5 S's but nothing works 100% of the time.

Kinda getting used to the crying from the "I want to help this poor baby" side but goddamn his volume is hard on the ears.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any good reading on agressive/early potty training I should look at. I see interesting anecdotes about how cultures XYZ potty train early but haven't seen any actual literature dedicated to the subject.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I feel like there is something wrong with me :( It seems like most women get really into planning the actual birth and the minutia involved and I just...don’t have any strong feelings about it? Like right now I need to decide which hospital I want to give birth at and I just can’t seem to decide, like I don’t know how I’m supposed to make that decision. At one location I have the option to work with a midwife, so I should probably do that?
I don’t know, I just feel a bit lost and so far my doctors appointments have seemed very rushed and I couldn’t ask a lot of questions.
So I guess I’m wondering if anyone else feels this way, like kind of overwhelmed? And I don’t want to make a birth plan...I’ve never had a baby before, I don’t know what I want or is best.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

remigious posted:

I feel like there is something wrong with me :( It seems like most women get really into planning the actual birth and the minutia involved and I just...don’t have any strong feelings about it? Like right now I need to decide which hospital I want to give birth at and I just can’t seem to decide, like I don’t know how I’m supposed to make that decision. At one location I have the option to work with a midwife, so I should probably do that?
I don’t know, I just feel a bit lost and so far my doctors appointments have seemed very rushed and I couldn’t ask a lot of questions.
So I guess I’m wondering if anyone else feels this way, like kind of overwhelmed? And I don’t want to make a birth plan...I’ve never had a baby before, I don’t know what I want or is best.

I feel exactly the same way! My attitude is basically “get this thing outta me by any means necessary.” I don’t really care about the details. Maybe I’m being naive!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Silent Linguist posted:

I feel exactly the same way! My attitude is basically “get this thing outta me by any means necessary.” I don’t really care about the details. Maybe I’m being naive!
I’m glad I’m not the only one! I actually felt a huge sense of relief just typing that out. I’ve been super emotional lately lol. We’ll get through this!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

remigious posted:

There's nothing wrong with you. Having a baby can be very overwhelming, especially in these times.

I had no birth plan at all, other than I knew what hospital I wanted to go to. And I wanted an epidural. I have heard enough birth stories to know that you can have the best plan you ever could dream of and it can all go to hell in seconds. I figured the best plan for me was no plan because I didn't want to go in thinking I knew how things were going to be and then be disappointed. And I was actually right, because I was induced 4 weeks before the due date for sudden preeclampsia and wasn't allowed to even turn over in bed without permission from the nurse. I didn't even have my own doctor there, it was the on call doctor for the practice. She delivered a friends babies so I was OK with it. Didn't bother me much. In the heat of the moment I just wanted everything to be over.

It was just my experience out of millions of people. Some people make plans and are able to stick to it. But it really is OK to have no birth plan.

As far as picking a hospital goes, I can't image it's easy right now since you can't tour maternity floors. I decided at the very beginning I just wanted to go to the closest one. Don't stress over it. A friend of mine has 3 children born at 3 different hospitals and her opinion was none of them were any better or worse, but they were all different in their own ways.

Edit: As far as a midwife goes, the hospital I went to had midwives. I am not really sure what they did because every time she was in the room the RN was also there.... It was a team effort I guess? I'm not sure how that would go these days with trying to limit the number of people in the room.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 6, 2020

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Sarah posted:

It was just my experience out of millions of people. Some people make plans and are able to stick to it. But it really is OK to have no birth plan.
Thank you for sharing your experience :) I think you’re totally right, I can try to plan all I want, but anything can happen on the day!
I’m lucky that my area hasn’t been hit very hard by COVID, so I made an appointment to tour the birth center adjacent to the hospital near me. So I think if that seems like a good fit I’ll plan to give birth there, and if not I’ll just stick with the doctor I’ve been seeing thus far. It’s a good start!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

remigious posted:

I felt this way too. A couple that my husband and I are friends with we’re having a baby due a week after ours was due, and she would ask me questions about what I thought about x, y and z. I would always feel embarrassed that I was too overwhelmed to care/never researched the things she was so wrapped up in. Now that our babies around around 5/6 months, I realized she’s just a super anxious parent and I shouldn’t have felt bad.

Honestly, do what makes you feel comfortable! You’re not alone in the way you feel.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Definitely not alone! I feel like I've spent most of my pregnancy just kind of drifting through the trimesters, unsure of what I needed to plan when. I don't feel like I've really started planning or researching much of anything until about a week or two ago, and I'm due in a month and a half from now. Some friends gave me a bunch of books and I only recently cracked them open. To be honest, I don't think I would've retained the information had I started reading it earlier anyway. My deciding factor for hospitals was picking an OB who is in the same building as my General Practitioner, whose main office is conveniently close to where I live.

We also hired a doula and just met with her yesterday, and that was a HUGE help in getting the juices flowing on what decisions we need to make re: our birth plan. Having her as a go-to with questions about pain management, breastfeeding, induction, etc in conjunction with my OB has been a huge relief.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

I don’t have a birth plan either. Just give me drugs for pain (epidural is probably best) and get baby out of me safely. My hospital is picked out because my OB’s clinic is right next door to the hospital. I did look up the hospital’s brochure for the maternity ward, and we might shell out some money for a private room instead of a shared one, but that’s the only opinion I really have about it.

Also, I plan to order a birthing gown because I keep seeing ads for them on Facebook and they look like a great alternative to a hospital gown. It’s essentially just a dress with openings to allow for an epidural and access to the belly and breasts. I think I’d feel much more comfortable in one.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Another chiming in for lack of strong opinions around birth. I wanted pain meds and to come into the hospital with two people and leave with three people. I had read enough birth stories to know that it never really goes how you plan for it to go, so I planned to just roll with the punches. I didn't have a choice of hospital and I had no idea who the doctor who delivered was. Literally can't remember his face! Lol. I was definitely mentally prepared for birth to be wild but was not prepared for the first few days postpartum to be pretty tough as well. Honestly that was more traumatic for me than the birth, partially because I hadn't really mentally prepared myself for how exhausting it was going to be. But you will surprise yourself. It's one of those life experiences that shows you how strong you can be. I'm considering doing it again so it can't have been that bad..... right???

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nessa posted:

Also, I plan to order a birthing gown because I keep seeing ads for them on Facebook and they look like a great alternative to a hospital gown. It’s essentially just a dress with openings to allow for an epidural and access to the belly and breasts. I think I’d feel much more comfortable in one.

They will get dirty very fast, we probably went through 12 or so hospital gowns over my wife's 40some-odd hour labor process. Unless you get several you may find yourself having to choose between dirty clothes, or clean hospital gown anyways.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

L0cke17 posted:

They will get dirty very fast, we probably went through 12 or so hospital gowns over my wife's 40some-odd hour labor process. Unless you get several you may find yourself having to choose between dirty clothes, or clean hospital gown anyways.

Was going to post this. I was in and out of the tub, and once you are in active labor there are fluids coming out of everywhere lol. After 7cm I stayed naked the rest of the time since clothes were just getting in the way. There’s a joke that you can tell which stage of labor a woman is in by how many clothes she has on, and is very truthful!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

I really don’t care about it getting dirty. It’s only ever going to be worn the once anyway.

If I end up in a hospital gown anyway, so be it.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nessa posted:

I really don’t care about it getting dirty. It’s only ever going to be worn the once anyway.

If I end up in a hospital gown anyway, so be it.

It took me a long freaking time to be able to push from the initial inducement. I was not allowed out of bed and was never offered another gown.

Probably because I wasn't allowed to eat, drink, or move. I didn't sweat either, each room in the hospital I was in had its own thermostat. I set that poo poo as low as it would go: 64 F (every single person who entered the room made a comment it was freezing cold and I was happy as a clam in it).

It was not dirty at all until I got peed on by my newborn.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I ended up just wearing the maternity dress I showed up to the hospital in when I had my emergency induction. Sort of weird in retrospect but it was jersey and was easy to pull up over my belly. It wasn't even really a choice, I just sort of defaulted to it. I finally changed into a hospital gown in my post partum room. I didn't really think much of it at the time but it's really weird in retrospect.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My birth plan was literally "will want an epidural if I need to be induced, otherwise do what you need to do". I got induced, had an early epidural, and 9 hours later had a baby - and while my OB delivered my baby, she only came right at the end for the last 45min - the preceding 12 hours were with the "Delivery Midwife" who I'd never met before. It honestly didn't matter at all. We built a great rapport straight away and she was great. I was chatting to her around about birth plans, and she was saying how stressful it was to manage situations where people are so rigidly set on their birth plan that they'll block any desperately needed intervention until the situation becomes life threatening. She said my attitude made it so much easier because they had the freedom to give the best medical care as and when it was needed.

I also had the same gown for the entire delivery, it didn't get dirty either - but I was in the same situation as Sarah being induced and not allowed out of bed.

Also a +1 for the postpartum first few days being unexpectedly exhausting. We had to stay for 5 days, and for the first 24hrs I got 30min sleep total; the following 24hrs I got 2 hours. The maternity ward is not an environment set up for sleep and rest, and the baby isn't even the half of it. To give you an example of the first 24 hours: My son was born at 7pm, we got to our room at 9, the people next door had a party with their whole family until 11:30 before they were cleared out, my son had to go to NICU every night at 2am, was returned at 3am, people buzzed for midwives continuously at all hours of the night, the doctors would arrive for rounds at 7am, breakfast would come in at 7:30, cleaners would come in at 8:30, nurses would be in for regular check ups and heel sticks, we had lactation consultants come in wanting to see my breastfeeding technique, an audiologist came to check his hearing, then lunch arrived, then family would arrive during visiting hours, more nurse checks, dinner would arrive, then more cleaning.

Add in a newborn baby and the time it takes to learn to breastfeed and teach the baby to latch its just poo poo. On my third day after torture-levels of sleep deprivation I finally got some time in the morning where I could sleep, only to have a cleaner come in and loudly exclaim how dark the room was and that I should have my blinds open during the day, asked if I was a bat that liked to hide in caves, and then ripped my blinds open (I'd both torn and had an episiotomy so getting out of bed to fix them was an orchestrated process). I have never been more homicidal in my life. I was so tired and angry that I was nearly in tears when the midwife came in to check on us, and only THEN did she put a do not disturb notice on my door.

TLDR for my next baby I am staying for exactly how long it takes to confirm they are healthy and well, and then I am going straight home where I have some chance of getting any sleep.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 7, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Midwives, for the record, are the best and we were so happy with the group at our ob.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Tamarillo posted:

I was chatting to her around about birth plans, and she was saying how stressful it was to manage situations where people are so rigidly set on their birth plan that they'll block any desperately needed intervention until the situation becomes life threatening. She said my attitude made it so much easier because they had the freedom to give the best medical care as and when it was needed.

I know someone that was exactly like that. Crazy birthing plan, everything had to be perfect and there was to be no deviation from the plan. She had an incredibly hard time finding anyone who would follow her plan and took a long time finding a midwife to agree to it. I don't know the specific details of the day, but I do know that part of her birthing plan was NO HOSPITAL under ANY circumstances. At some point, obviously the midwife realized something was amiss. She refused to be transported to the hospital. The baby was born with the cord wrapped around her neck x2. At that point I guess she said I don't care what you want, the baby is going to the hospital, if you refuse to be transported you stay here alone. I do not know if she stayed or went. No one really talks about that day in a lot of detail.

Edit: oh baby was in nicu for 2 months, she's totally fine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I think it's fine to have a birth plan but it should be thought of as birth PREFERENCES, not a rigid plan, because as others have said you just don't know what's going to happen. It's also fine for the birth plan to be nothing more than "healthy mom and baby" -- sometimes we lose sight of the fact that birth is still a medical event and before modern medicine moms and babies died all the time, and adverse outcomes still happen now. Of course adverse outcomes can also include traumatic birth for obstetric violence and so it's understandable when people want to exercise more control over what happens. Having a doula is a great way to protect yourself and midwives are the poo poo. That doesn't mean there aren't excellent ob-gyns and lovely midwives but on the whole the midwifery approach is fantastic and I think you're less likely to end up with unnecessary interventions.

I had a birth plan but pretty much everything on it was "unless emergency" and my doula told me all my preferences were standard practice anyway. So that was reassuring. I wound up being induced three weeks early due to lack of fetal movement (he turned out fine) and I was overall very happy with how the induction, labor, and birth went. I don't think anyone but my doula ever read my plan and that was fine. I liked thinking about these things and writing them down and when the time came it went how it went.