Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Racism is a tried and true approach for maintaining the status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm glad to see America is finally taking this pandemic seriously and taking some real action: https://twitter.com/ReichlinMelnick/status/1280207487573069827?s=19

Seriously, though, if they're not currently stuck in America they're smarter to not go back anyway. Although this does mean they're more likely to hold in-person classes when they don't need to just to hold on to international tuition.....

Tagra fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 6, 2020

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Marmaduke! posted:

People have been saying that the death rate is as low as 0.2% so why are you surprised that it's barely 1%? You're not the guy who was making GBS threads himself thinking it was a 15% death rate are you?

Just to be clear, the 0.2% number was cherry picked from a CDC report from a pandemic scenario that in no way represents what is going on in the US at all, not in terms of patient demographics, or preventative measures, or anything.

Note that the average time from infection to symptoms is 5-10 days depending on age/pre-existing conditions and the average time to death is 19 days from presentation of symptoms.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Tagra posted:

I'm glad to see America is finally taking this pandemic seriously and taking some real action: https://twitter.com/ReichlinMelnick/status/1280207487573069827?s=19

Seriously, though, if they're not currently stuck in America they're smarter to not go back anyway. Although this does mean they're more likely to hold in-person classes when they don't need to just to hold on to international tuition.....

That seems to be the goal. Force schools to either lose their international students or pretend everything is OK again.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Fashionably Great posted:

At least we're not Texas.

I'm in Texas. :smith: Help.

I want us to shut down again so bad...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This week on “The Bachelor: Pandemic!”:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Canada Karen thwarted
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5639057

Tldr, woman goes to emergency room for broken finger, is turned away for not wearing a mask. Most of Canada shrugs and goes "that's dumb"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I'm in Texas. :smith: Help.

I want us to shut down again so bad...

I mean, you guys more then likely will if a lack of hospital care resources continues.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'm just going by the death rate for confirmed cases that recover vs. deaths. I'm aware that the actual death rate is probably much lower, which is why it might just be that the numbers are different due to an increase in testing, I don't know!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

There's a good lesson in measurement accuracy here. This is a very inaccurate way to calculate a fatality rate; the accuracy in both the numerator and the denominator is abysmally low so you get an estimate that is practically meaningless. For instance those numbers aren't time-synchronized; it takes longer for a lot of cases to recover than it does for other cases to die. There's an unknown ratio between the detected number of cases and the true number of cases, which also applies to deaths but as a different ratio (e.g. there's a much higher likelihood that someone who goes on to die of coronavirus will get tested than someone who has mild or no symptoms). There's wild discrepancy in how and when states report infections, deaths, and recoveries.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Hazo posted:

I asked this back when Oregon or whatever had a bunch of chud sheriffs who did the same thing, and I don't think it was ever answered:

I don’t believe they answer to anyone, short of an ethics comity or criminal charge . A States AG can have them investigated , and the county coroner is who would arrest them

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 7, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I know this is covid blm flaming plastic death arctic locust times but somehow I’m most titillated by this weird sheriff system that the US has.

Like, how did 50 states, or however many loving counties there are, all just up and decide to do poo poo this way? It’s like they all copied the first guy’s homework or something without bothering to check if it made any sense so now you’re all just living by the rules of lorem ipsum ffs.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cops were originally for catching runaway slaves and the evolution of that ended up about as well as you'd expect

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I'm not sure where y'all getting "low mortality rates" for the usa from. The USA sits at 9% currently, compared to e.g. germany's 4%, brazil's 6%, italy's 15%, china's 5%, and the world's 7.5%.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

tuyop posted:

I know this is covid blm flaming plastic death arctic locust times but somehow I’m most titillated by this weird sheriff system that the US has.

Like, how did 50 states, or however many loving counties there are, all just up and decide to do poo poo this way? It’s like they all copied the first guy’s homework or something without bothering to check if it made any sense so now you’re all just living by the rules of lorem ipsum ffs.

It's been the playbook for everything else, why not a pandemic?

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Texas' response to the coronavirus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PrZ-J7D3k

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mithaldu posted:

I'm not sure where y'all getting "low mortality rates" for the usa from. The USA sits at 9% currently, compared to e.g. germany's 4%, brazil's 6%, italy's 15%, china's 5%, and the world's 7.5%.

Not sure where your numbers are from, based Worldometer US death rate (ie total deaths/total cases) is at 4.4% vs 4.6 globally

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 7, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tuyop posted:

We ripped off the british system of enforcers for the nobility wholesale but forgot to give them nobles to answer to

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
People who refuse to wear masks and people who refuse to put their grocery carts back in the cart corral - what do you think that Venn diagram looks like?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

The Glumslinger posted:

Not sure where your numbers are from, based Worldometer US death rate (ie total deaths/total cases) is at 4.4% vs 4.6 globally

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
i was looking at their death rate graphs, because that's a number they actually graph over time. also, my question is more about people citing stuff like 1% last page

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

tuyop posted:

it makes sense when you consider it was put in place when there was an incredible % of the population that was rural, and not clustered in cities. even now, rural non-incorporated locations don't have their own police department. so back in the day you had a sheriff who was in charge of law enforcement for the whole county.

only later did state's begin to operate state police departments (so they would be beholden to the state government, instead of an independent sheriff), and that is how you ended up with strange overlap of state police AND sheriffs. even that overlap is SORT OF worked out by sheriffs taking control of managing county jails.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ukrainius maximus posted:

People who refuse to wear masks and people who refuse to put their grocery carts back in the cart corral - what do you think that Venn diagram looks like?

It's a circle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lazyfire posted:

excess deaths

Here's a useful but horrifying graph! It's mostly laying out the data by state but note that NYC gets a line all to itself.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

You can click through a whole bunch of different graphs down the bottom of that page and they're all horrifying in slightly different ways. Fun fact: the excess deaths for the week ending April 11 were somewhere between 35-40% above expected.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ukrainius maximus posted:

:hydrogen:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
NJ's Rt went over 1.0 today lol let the second wave begin

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mithaldu posted:

i was looking at their death rate graphs, because that's a number they actually graph over time. also, my question is more about people citing stuff like 1% last page

The difference between the two lines on the "closed cases" graphs will also be highly dependent on how widespread testing has been. If they're restricting testing and mostly just testing people who are being hospitalized with symptoms then the death rate is naturally going to be a lot higher, if they massively increase the numbers of tests available and expand the testing to the greater community and start finding a lot more asymptomatic cases then the death rate is going to drop way down.

"Closed cases" on the worldometers site can also mean a whole lot of different things and a bunch of countries (and I guess individual US states) have been reporting "closed" numbers under drastically different criteria. I'm pretty sure that one country (I think the UK?) was assuming that detected infection from a certain number of weeks ago had to have concluded so they were just blanket reporting them all as "closed", another country was including all their COVID deaths in their "recovered" stats, a whole bunch of states and countries are counting deaths WITH covid instead of deaths FROM covid, etc etc..

E: Ohio just started listing "presumed recovered" cases on their stats, under the reasoning "Well if we haven't heard from them for 21 days I guess they're out frolicking in a park or something"

quote:

Ohio has added "Presumed Recoveries"
"Later today, we will add to the http://coronavirus.ohio.gov data dashboard, a new data point called “Presumed Recovered.” [source] Calculation: Cases - Deaths - Cases with an Onset Date in the Last 21 Days = Presumed Recovered. Today's presumed recovered count is: 38,987"

E2: "Those sciencey people haven't given us a number but we can just guess, it's super easy!"
https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1278769786164518912

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 7, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They'll probably retroactively add thousands back onto Friday and Saturday at some point as well because a whole bunch of states just stopped reporting for a bit. Friday was probably over 60,000 new cases, I guess we'll find out on Tuesday morning.

Monday update:

quote:

California: Los Angeles County: "Today, after improving the data processing systems, which resulted in no data being reported since Thursday, July 2, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) is reporting an increase of 7,232 new cases for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. [...] As a reminder, data is reported from the day before [...] The reported new cases for Thursday, July 2 are 2,643; Friday, July 3 are 3,187; and Saturday, July 4 are 1,402. Saturday's number is missing lab reports from one of the larger labs. [source] "Today, Public Health has confirmed 48 new deaths and 1,584 new cases of COVID-19" [source]

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Tipps posted:

It is frustrating and predictable that he would start calling it the China Virus again. His base needs to be fed some easy lie to distract them from their incoming deaths at Trump's hands, and the only move he knows is blatant, stupefying racism.
I wouldn't mind CCP virus as some call it. By all means, do blame the CCP for deliberately withholding information and failing to contain a preventable outbreak while downplaying the seriousness of it once news did break.

Is the narrative a guided distraction away from how hosed the USA is as a direct result of federal inaction? Yes of course, but at least it's a rally against the CCP.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Mithaldu posted:

yellow daddy said it's lowest in the world

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sanctum posted:

I wouldn't mind CCP virus as some call it. By all means, do blame the CCP for deliberately withholding information and failing to contain a preventable outbreak while downplaying the seriousness of it once news did break.

Is the narrative a guided distraction away from how hosed the USA is as a direct result of federal inaction? Yes of course, but at least it's a rally against the CCP.

lol CCP virus. go away

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sanctum posted:

by those metrics it should be called the Trump virus

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also congratz to the US on passing the big THREE MILL mark:

That's 25.9% of the total reported global infections!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

“Who thinks this is just a flu?”

Gives machine to the other guy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

“Who thinks this is just a flu?”

Gives machine to the other guy.

please sign on to scribd to read my 60-page treatise on what i call "moral triage"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Day 6 of waiting to hear back on my Coronavirus test results :sigh:

My dad is in the same boat. He got tested a week ago and they said they might have his results on Thursday?? This is in a county with a low case count too.

It’s pretty ridiculous.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

lol, americans

https://nationalpost.com/news/national/american-couple-pay-heavy-price-in-canada-upon-failure-to-self-quarantine

quote:

American couple pay heavy price in Canada upon failure to self-quarantine

Anyone crossing the border to enter Canada is required to self-quarantine for 14 days, but an American couple learned the hard way what happens when you violate the Quarantine Act.

The residents of the city Excelsior, Minn. arrived in Canada on June 24 through Fort Frances, Ont., and were directed to self-isolate for 14-days once they reached their destination, Thunder Bay, as per Canadian law. However, they failed to follow orders and have now been fined $1000 per person.

According to the OPP, Canada Border Service Agency workers directed David Sippell, 66, and Anne Sippell, 65, to travel straight to Thunder Bay and remain there until they have completed the 14-day period of self-isolation, Sudbury.com reported.

They were seen making several stops at Fort Frances and have been charged upon failure to follow orders of border control or lack of complying with any conditions to enter Canada as per the Quarantine Act.

In order to ensure public health and safety, the Quarantine Act, which was first introduced in 2005, was invoked earlier this year on March 25. The act states that any international travellers entering Canada are required, by law, to be in quarantine for 14 days. The act exempted truck drivers and health care workers to move between the U.S. and Canada border to ensure that medical assistance and supply are not hampered.

Of course that's $1000 canadian, which is only like 700 US? IDK.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also congratz to the US on passing the big THREE MILL mark:

That's 25.9% of the total reported global infections!

Herd immunity any day now!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1280238153236746240

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So what was all this poo poo about the Bubonic Plague going around in China now?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Philthy posted:

So what was all this poo poo about the Bubonic Plague going around in China now?

Someone sent me this earlier.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-eating-risky-animals-banned-following-case-of-bubonic-plague-in-china-20200706

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gotta start paying off the 250 billion debt somehow.