Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My flowers are very popular this year. Does anyone know the black species? This is in north Georgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's a black carpenter bee, Xylocopa something-or-other. There are about 500 species of them and many look basically exactly the same, so there's no easy way to tell which kind it is in specific.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cool, thank you! I love carpenter bees, even the ones that live in our house.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, unless the wood of your house is very old and untreated, they probably won't be trying to settle in there, so you shouldn't need to worry about that much. :)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Last one in that series is a bumble bee isn’t it?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I think the black bee is actually a carpenter-mimic leafcutter, Megachile xylocopoides

the yeti posted:

Last one in that series is a bumble bee isn’t it?

Yeah, either Bombus impatiens or B. bimaculatus. The wings are folded over the area that would make them distinguishable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I think the black bee is actually a carpenter-mimic leafcutter, Megachile xylocopoides
How do you tell the difference? I can't really see it even looking at pictures side by side.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cardiovorax posted:

How do you tell the difference? I can't really see it even looking at pictures side by side.

This is going to sound really dumb but I don't even know how to articulate why I think that. I just saw that bee and thought to myself "Oh yeah that's a definitely a megachile" before I even noticed someone IDed it as a carpenter bee. There's just something about the body proportions that jump out to me.

That said, there's no pollen on the legs, which is where a carpenter bee would carry her payload. Leafcutters carry it on the undersides of their abdomens.

Fitzy, are there any pictures that show this insect's belly? That would be the smoking gun here.

Edit: closer inspection of the pics show smooth hind legs that would be real bushy on a carpenter bee. I'm more confident in my ID now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Carpenter bees are bushier than that, that's actually fairly easy to see on the pictures. Learned something new today, thanks Mak0rz.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
What type of bug is this? My backyard was swarming with them. I squished a yellow jacket on the edge of my lawn and literally thousands of them poured out of that footstep. They are barely bigger than ants, maybe 2 mm on average. I am thinking false chinch bug based on google searching? In the SF bay area if that helps.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pain of Mind posted:

What type of bug is this? My backyard was swarming with them. I squished a yellow jacket on the edge of my lawn and literally thousands of them poured out of that footstep. They are barely bigger than ants, maybe 2 mm on average. I am thinking false chinch bug based on google searching? In the SF bay area if that helps.

I'd say you're right. That one is a juvenile.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's bumble time!

I swear, it's hard as hell to get a decent shot of these little guys. They rush around like crazy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Excuse the doublepost, but today is a good day for question. Here's a striped leafhopper:

He was very cooperative and sat perfectly still, but it's hard to get a good shot of something that is about five millimeters long.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apologies for not taking a picture of the plant but I was getting eaten alive as soon as the sun went behind the clouds. Took my dad black raspberry picking! these thorny vines with berries have been growing in the woods and my back yard for years, and I didn't think anything of them until I went out to investigate them to find they're not just random vines but raspberries! But recently they've been really encroaching on the property and growing crazy fast everywhere so I'll probably be having it all culled by a landscaping company since while it'd be nice to keep the black raspberries, oriental bittersweet and poison ivy has started growing amidst it all and it's created a gnarled, impenetrable thicket that has the defensive buffs of thorns and poisonous oils. So sadly most of it will have to go, but I'll try to keep some around.

But yeah, after about an hour and a half of picking, we came out with about six pounds of raspberries! Under the top layer of thorny vines were lots of clusters of fully ripe berries that you could just cup with your hand and roll a little bit and they'd all come off easily. And that's only from two clusters, there's still so many more, but the bugs were getting to be too much and our backs were getting achey from leaning so much, so we called it.

the literal fruits of our labor, hooray for foraging!

now to make a shitload of raspberry pancakes and freeze'em all since these suckers will go bad super fast

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 5, 2020

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Here are two European elks (moose) drinking after feasting on my parents garden. They ignored my feeble attempts to scare them off. They also bullied the neighbours dogs by chasing them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Found this pretty... uh, I think it's a boy? Anyway, found it on my bedroom wall just now.

I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at here, but it's very pretty. Just look at that pattern! I couldn't even tell until the photo came out, that was a very pleasant surprise.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cardiovorax posted:

Found this pretty... uh, I think it's a boy? Anyway, found it on my bedroom wall just now.

I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at here, but it's very pretty. Just look at that pattern! I couldn't even tell until the photo came out, that was a very pleasant surprise.

It's a spitting spider! Pretty much everything about them is interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks! That's a definite ID on Scytodes thoracica, then, because those are the only type of spitting spider native to Europe. I bet I've seen them dozens of times and just never realized there was anything special about them. It keeps kind of wandering up and down the wall next to me as I'm typing this. I guess it just does that at night.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

I was aggressively dive-bombed by this extremely wingy little sucker over the weekend. Our guess was an Ant-Lion, which would be a first for me, but this is the best picture we have and I'm not sure.

Also hung out with another exceptionally chill Gopher Tortoise

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I had a critterful day yesterday!

Some tiny bug that decided to take a ride while I was trimming the hedges.

A mysterious chrysalis on my neighbour's fence.

I followed this (likely peregrine) falcon's calls to the correct tree, but it took off just as I found it.

It's been raining a lot and this weird rear end fungus grew in one of my flowerbeds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty sure those are stinkhorns. Very common type of yard and garden mushroom. They're aptly named and use flies in much the same way that fruit trees use birds to spread their seeds.

https://extension.umn.edu/lawn-care/common-fungi

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Cardiovorax posted:

Excuse the doublepost, but today is a good day for question. Here's a striped leafhopper:

He was very cooperative and sat perfectly still, but it's hard to get a good shot of something that is about five millimeters long.

Check put the genus Graphocephala. If it was on a Rhododendron bush it was probably G. fennahi.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/364155

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Here’s a neat thick-headed fly, Sicus ferrugineus snacking on nectar on a field scabious that I saw today here in Sweden.

Their larvae are parasites on bumblebees.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Check put the genus Graphocephala. If it was on a Rhododendron bush it was probably G. fennahi.
I found it indoors, but the neighbours do have a lot of rhododendron bushes. Since G. fennahi is also the only species of Graphocephela that is native to Europe, that's probably exactly what it was. Thanks.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Do any of you know if there are any sweat bees in coastal Oregon. I keep seeing these, what I can only describe as green headed yellow jackets maybe 1/2" long on the dunes, and can't figure out what the heck they are. No pictures, sorry.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
They are wicked agrro.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Captain Invictus posted:

apologies for not taking a picture of the plant but I was getting eaten alive as soon as the sun went behind the clouds. Took my dad black raspberry picking! these thorny vines with berries have been growing in the woods and my back yard for years, and I didn't think anything of them until I went out to investigate them to find they're not just random vines but raspberries! But recently they've been really encroaching on the property and growing crazy fast everywhere so I'll probably be having it all culled by a landscaping company since while it'd be nice to keep the black raspberries, oriental bittersweet and poison ivy has started growing amidst it all and it's created a gnarled, impenetrable thicket that has the defensive buffs of thorns and poisonous oils. So sadly most of it will have to go, but I'll try to keep some around.

But yeah, after about an hour and a half of picking, we came out with about six pounds of raspberries! Under the top layer of thorny vines were lots of clusters of fully ripe berries that you could just cup with your hand and roll a little bit and they'd all come off easily. And that's only from two clusters, there's still so many more, but the bugs were getting to be too much and our backs were getting achey from leaning so much, so we called it.

the literal fruits of our labor, hooray for foraging!

now to make a shitload of raspberry pancakes and freeze'em all since these suckers will go bad super fast

There's a tiny little public park a block from my house that I walk through every day, and they have a patch of these. I've been picking a few handfuls every day and I finally got enough to make some jam, which I did yesterday. It's real good stuff! Black raspberries are probably my favorite berry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nighthand posted:

There's a tiny little public park a block from my house that I walk through every day, and they have a patch of these. I've been picking a few handfuls every day and I finally got enough to make some jam, which I did yesterday. It's real good stuff! Black raspberries are probably my favorite berry.

Yeah, I went out and picked another two pounds of'em, gonna give some to my neighbor so they can make some jam and also make a whole bunch more pancakes. turns out cooking them in a pan makes the black raspberries go from semisweet/mostly sour to very sweet/slightly sour, it's great.

really really really really really really really good pancakes.

there's still probably 10-15 more pounds of them still growing, so in a week or so I ought to be able to go out and harvest a whole bunch more. Mmmmmm.

edit: maybe try harvesting some from that park and planting some on your property if you've got some space, sure they're thorny vines and can grow wildly out of control, but MAN does each plant produce a shitload of raspberries. my neighbor said he had a bunch growing on his property but they all died out for some reason basically all at once.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 8, 2020

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: maybe try harvesting some from that park and planting some on your property if you've got some space, sure they're thorny vines and can grow wildly out of control, but MAN does each plant produce a shitload of raspberries. my neighbor said he had a bunch growing on his property but they all died out for some reason basically all at once.

This happened on my dad's property with blackberries. I'm not sure if they died off or got choked out - there's a thorny bush that's *almost* identical looking to them that grows there now but never blooms or fruits.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blackberries are the single most economically draining invasive species in Oregon. The idea of intentionally planting blackberries just makes me cringe. They're like the kudzu of the PNW.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
unless you've dealt with actual kudzu or similar plants like oriental bittersweet, nothing comes remotely close. sure the raspberry thorny vines are annoying, but they're not even on the same level as plants you can almost literally(and in the case of kudzu, actually) watch grow in real time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

unless you've dealt with actual kudzu or similar plants like oriental bittersweet, nothing comes remotely close. sure the raspberry thorny vines are annoying, but they're not even on the same level as plants you can almost literally(and in the case of kudzu, actually) watch grow in real time.

I'm talking about blackberries, not raspberries. Raspberries are fine - they don't take over literal acres of land.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Himalayan blackberry is a menace in the Pacific Northwest, yeah. Habitats have been devastated because nothing eats it, virtually no plant can compete with it, it's nearly impossible to kill with confidence, and the berries are delicious and plentiful so it spreads like mad.

It is however one of several species of blackberry, of which a few are actually native to North America.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 12, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm talking about blackberries, not raspberries. Raspberries are fine - they don't take over literal acres of land.

Ah my bad, since we were talking about black raspberries I thought you had misconstrued them as blackberries :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah my bad, since we were talking about black raspberries I thought you had misconstrued them as blackberries :v:

They are the same fruit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

They are the same fruit.
If Wikipedia has anything to say about it, they're apparently not. They just look the same, but taste completely different.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mak0rz posted:

They are the same fruit.
black raspberries aren't the exact same as blackberries. much smaller and more sour off the vine. this article goes into more detail.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

black raspberries aren't the exact same as blackberries. much smaller and more sour off the vine. this article goes into more detail.

This poo poo is blowing my mind. I had no idea!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Decided to take my macro lens out for a spin in the garden and get some pics of the bees who've been frequenting the flowers. Turned out a bit trickier than expected as the buggers wouldn't stand still and the wind didn't help either.

Bumble bee

Hoverfly of somekind?

Not sure what kind of bee this is

Honey bee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ebola Dog posted:

Not sure what kind of bee this is

Leafcutter bee. Family Megachilidae. Recall our conversation earlier about carrying pollen on their hairy bellies :eng101:

Ebola Dog posted:

Honey bee?

Nope, this is a bumble bee. Are you in Europe? This looks like Bombus pascuorum.

Your first bumble bee is likely B. terrestris.