Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sab669 posted:

Hey their Faction Focus even says, "You want an army filled with nothing but Meganobz and Warbosses? You can have it and still have all the Command points you’ll need."

And I mean I've literally wanted to run an HEAVY Meganob army forever!

E: what are they even changing with CP / Detachments in 9th? I barely played 8th but I strongly disliked how it seemed to devolve into gaming the Detachment system to maximize CP and abusing CP-refunding abilities

Basically at 2,000 points you get 12 CP. If you run a patrol, Brigade, or a battalion with your warlord in it, that detachment costs nothing. If you run a supreme command detachment (which is now basically actual supreme commanders like Big blue, possibly Ghazgull etc) you get a free Brigade, battalion, or patrol.

If you run pretty much anything else, it costs you CP.

For example, if you wanted an army entirely of mega-nobz you can take a Vanguard detachment. It costs 3 CP so you get to keep 9CP from your starting lot of 12. For that 3CP you take take up to: 2 HQs, 3 troops, 6 Elites, 2 fast attack, 2 heavy support, and 2 flyers.

In 9th there's still consideration to what detachments you want to take, but like in 8th if you took just elites and HQs you'd have 3CP whereas now you'd have 9.

Since you can take 6 elites in a battalion if you want to take the three troops and and an additional mandatory HQ you'd get 12CP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds like a good overhaul.

I miss slamming hams and the new edition has me wanting to get back into it, but ugh man this hobby is so expensive and requires so much time :negative:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kitchner posted:

What was the jump? Start at 500 and increase by 250 points each time?

Roughly 200-250, it was somewhat flexible and about 500pts start I think. This was back in 6th. With my friends we just did HQ + Troops to start, then a single FOC slot of our choice each week.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The spray version of runelord brass they say is coming later this year sounds interesting - also for non-nekron purposes. Like eldar wraithbone constructs with contrast on top or something. Maybe it’ll be too dark for that, but still cool to have a metal spray between gold and iron. Chaos mech stuff is an obvious choice, but maybe imperial guard tanks could look cool. Maybe I’ll finally paint that baneblade I’ve been putting off. Imperial/chaos knights even.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It might be good for Minotaurs marines as well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It might be good for Minotaurs marines as well.

Shame all the upgrade bits are gone.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Hey their Faction Focus even says, "You want an army filled with nothing but Meganobz and Warbosses? You can have it and still have all the Command points you’ll need."

And I mean I've literally wanted to run an HEAVY Meganob army forever!

E: what are they even changing with CP / Detachments in 9th? I barely played 8th but I strongly disliked how it seemed to devolve into gaming the Detachment system to maximize CP and abusing CP-refunding abilities

8th was sold as creating flexibility to build whatever army was desired - but as you point out, it was somewhat illusory. The efforts to make sure people took troops resulted in large incentives to maximize battalions by minimally filling the mandatory slots.

9th's system seems better conceived. An incentive to fill out the initial starting patrol/brigade/battalion remains, namely to retain as much CP as possible - but the penalty isn't nearly as harsh for players who want to do something else. And the Rule of Three seems to have bit the dust too, so it's actually possible to bring a mega nob heavy army.

This doesn't change some cool units having terrible rules, but that can change over the course of the edition. And at least now they won't be double penalized via the army composition rules in addition to the bad unit rules.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I wonder if Tau will keep their only one Commander per detachment rule. They don't exactly have a ton of HQ options, especially considering 3 of the generics are just different flavors of Commander.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'm really curious as to how they're going to handle Dark Eldar, myself. Will Combat Patrol games be limited to just Kabalites/just Wyches/just Wracks, or will they have some new detachment-splitting tech, or will they abandon the whole "Actually three armies" thing?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Stephenls posted:

I'm really curious as to how they're going to handle Dark Eldar, myself. Will Combat Patrol games be limited to just Kabalites/just Wyches/just Wracks, or will they have some new detachment-splitting tech, or will they abandon the whole "Actually three armies" thing?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/26/faction-focus-drukharigw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-4/

I'm not sure how that'll scale to Combat Patrol size, but they are keeping the 3 army thing going for DE

Desfore fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 6, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I like from the battle reports I have seen that the game is almost all about holding the objective and killing things is secondary. I don't like the way primaries Marines have been curb stomping everything and that it hasn't even been close. That points balance coming better change things a lot.
Necrons skorpekhs seems pretty good but Necrons still seem to suck in general.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Miles O'Brian posted:

Don't worry, this is definitely gonna be the edition where you're not gonna have to paint 150 Boyz to have even a remote change of winning!!!

Right guys..... guys? Right? :ohdear:

edit: If I didnt manage to paint over 100 in the 10+ years ive been collecting Orks its never gonna happen

So, prior to the lockdown, ork players were already starting to not bring max boyz, because it turns out marines on the new codex are really good at killing them. Like, super good. If you were facing a marine army, you struggled to get value out of a squad of boyz.

I think the balance is probably going to be one or two mobs of 30 boyz in a 2000 point game. They're still really good if you're facing other armies, especially ones tuned to kill primaris (paying extra points for 2D weapons doesn't matter against 1W boyz). But the days of mass boyz spam are, at least for the moment, over. Nobs might become more popular, though they also have the issue that those armies tuned to kill primaris are even more effective at killing nobs, so we may need to wait and see how things shake out.

And as said, you're no longer incentivized to fill nine troop slots. You'll still probably need 3-4 (your core battalion and maybe a patrol for a different clan bonus), but it doesn't need to be quite as big an investment of your army.

Desfore posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/26/faction-focus-drukharigw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-4/

I'm not sure how that'll scale to Combat Patrol size, but they are keeping the 3 army thing going for DE

You're still limited to one detachment for patrol, so I don't see the rule coming up at that size. It will really only matter in 2000 or 3000 point games where they can have at least three detachments.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 6, 2020

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, I just recently learned about this "Arch Warhammer" fellow, and buddy howdy is the chud crowd my LGS apparently stepping straight up to the bat to defend this guy. At this rate, I'll be playing in my garage forever.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Maneck posted:

And the Rule of Three seems to have bit the dust too, so it's actually possible to bring a mega nob heavy army.

Rule of Three is now baked into the mission. It was always the Rule of Two for 1k, and Rule of Four for 3k, so now that they’re breaking mission design out into different missions for different points levels, the rule is cooked into the mission.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Coldbird posted:

Rule of Three is now baked into the mission. It was always the Rule of Two for 1k, and Rule of Four for 3k, so now that they’re breaking mission design out into different missions for different points levels, the rule is cooked into the mission.

Nah, it's just flat out Rule of Three now per the Eternal War mission pack.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

MRLOLAST posted:

That points balance coming better change things

They're making money hand over foot with them, I wouldn't hold your breath.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Was reading re:Storm Shield chat that the new 4++/add 1 to save maybe only applied to the new statlines in the Indomitus box.

1) Odds on the Chapter Approved books going through with the change in general to older Stormshields?

2) Can't you still do that unrendable 1+ save on the captain w/artificer armor from the box anyway?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Are there any models (40k/AoS) that are shooting lightning out of their hands? I finished Ephrael Stern and her left hand just seems begging for some space wizardry lightning adornment. I had such a good time painting her I wanted to go the extra mile (if it isn't too expensive).

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Was reading re:Storm Shield chat that the new 4++/add 1 to save maybe only applied to the new statlines in the Indomitus box.

1) Odds on the Chapter Approved books going through with the change in general to older Stormshields?

2) Can't you still do that unrendable 1+ save on the captain w/artificer armor from the box anyway?

1. I'd say the odds are pretty good that we'd see the change sooner rather than late, otherwise astartes chainswords would only be on box models and that would be incredibly frustrating. I also don't think GW would just let two things identically named have two different abilities/stats for very longer

2. Oh absolutely, and I intend to do it regardless of effectiveness as much as I can until such a time as they change it because it's loving hilarious.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Gaussian posted:

Are there any models (40k/AoS) that are shooting lightning out of their hands? I finished Ephrael Stern and her left hand just seems begging for some space wizardry lightning adornment. I had such a good time painting her I wanted to go the extra mile (if it isn't too expensive).

Could probably make an effect with some wire or something?

Otherwise good timing, minus some...scale issues:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, I just recently learned about this "Arch Warhammer" fellow, and buddy howdy is the chud crowd my LGS apparently stepping straight up to the bat to defend this guy. At this rate, I'll be playing in my garage forever.

Arch is the absolute worst. Very racist, misogynist extraordinaire and all around super bigot. There are few worse public warhammer “personalities”. If that’s the case at your LGS then it’s honestly a lost cause (haha) and you should probably :sever: and hope to find a better place (or start your own). If you have the heart, you should take it up with the owner or confront the problem, but in many cases owners trot out the idiotic ‘keep politics out of the gaming’-line, which is actually destructive as hell. If people are standing around repeating the stuff arch says openly, you could just politely let the owner know that you’re not comfortable playing in a bigoted environment. It might have more resonance right now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

EdsTeioh posted:

Someone described him as an "IRL Skaven" and that seems pretty apt

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

How long would I probably have to wait to get my hands on the new Necron warriors without spending $200 or whatever on that box? I own zero hams so far and wanted to build and paint 5 warriors or immortals or something to see if I like it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mr. Humalong posted:

How long would I probably have to wait to get my hands on the new Necron warriors without spending $200 or whatever on that box? I own zero hams so far and wanted to build and paint 5 warriors or immortals or something to see if I like it.

The week before the box comes out and eBay people start splitting them

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There are infinitely more space marine players, so I'm guessing you can get the necron half on ebay for $60-70 as soon as it launches.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Within days, sometimes hours, of the box going on sale there will be scalpers buying them up, ripping them open, and selling each individual unit on eBay.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm already seeing split box "pre orders" on ebay, I've only seen the Space Marine half which is apparently going for 125 USD shipped at the moment.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Arch is the absolute worst. Very racist, misogynist extraordinaire and all around super bigot. There are few worse public warhammer “personalities”. If that’s the case at your LGS then it’s honestly a lost cause (haha) and you should probably :sever: and hope to find a better place (or start your own). If you have the heart, you should take it up with the owner or confront the problem, but in many cases owners trot out the idiotic ‘keep politics out of the gaming’-line, which is actually destructive as hell. If people are standing around repeating the stuff arch says openly, you could just politely let the owner know that you’re not comfortable playing in a bigoted environment. It might have more resonance right now.

Man, if I wasn’t phone posting, I’d totally screenshot the dumbass defense these guys are mounting behind him. It’s insane.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Sab669 posted:

Gonna need to see some more of your DG, that color is poppin' really nicely

Huh I have never actually uploaded my Death Guard.

So these guys were done three years back and I've learned a lot since doing them, I was just in the mood to circle back to the army with the tank. The tank uses very different painting techniques from the old guys and I think it's a solid improvement.

The Seven Scribes

During the Horus Heresy a random Alpha Legion tactical squad dressed themselves as ultramarines, walked up to Primarch Rouboute Guilliman in his palace, and almost succeeded in killing him. They'd done this not through strategy or cunning or brilliance but through an exhausted, weary compliance with every single aspect of protocol and paperwork. This boring, grinding form of infiltration caught the eye of Grandfather Nurgle, who caught their souls and fused them together into the body of a Daemon Prince. The Scribes now continue their horrible, monotonous work - it's amazing how far you can get in the bureaucratic nightmare of the Imperium by filling out the proper forms.

The Scribes in all ways carry and conduct themselves as Ultramarines. They operate according to the Codex, they paint the ultra symbol on their ships, they respond to distress hails as Ultramarines and operate in unison with other aspects of Imperial command. And a lot of the time nobody even bothers to check their work - when the Administratum receives a standard-issue notification of compliance, stating that a planet has been liberated from seditious elements, with an updated schedule stating when the tithe will resume, who is going to spend the time to double-check the achievements of Lord Guilliman? Even if there are strange stains around the signature...

The Scribes do their best to keep their armour clean, though the Grandfather's gifts make it hard. From a distance a lot of their problems can be passed off as battle damage, entirely normal for Marines operating a long way from their supply lines. And for the average guardsman, when an Ultramarine walks over to you, claps his hand on your shoulder in a friendly way while complimenting your courage in holding the line, and smiles with both of his mouths... would you have the courage to start that fight?

However, the Alpha Legion's ancient flaw has always been hubris, and the Scribes still carry it in their rotting hearts. It is a constant uphill struggle to enforce compliance with the uniform code within the warband and this compliance becomes even more difficult with higher ranking members. The terminator corps thumbs their nose to regulation-issue shades of blue, reasoning that they are going to teleport onto the battlefield anyway, and some of the more mutated members are beyond the point of concealing their true nature. Even line troopers try to sneak in an alpha, teal colours, or a hydra symbol if they can get away with it.

In addition, the majority of the warband's armoured corps are daemon engines so disturbing and far from the Imperial standard that the Scribes have mostly given up at trying to enforce more than a few token ultras here and there in an exhausted attempt to do the bare minimum.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 7, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I assume these people are in America, but if I was running a business in Australia I'd want to be careful about freedom of speeching for the chuds since landing my business in a tribunal or losing customers due to toxic regulars sounds dumb.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

JBP posted:

I assume these people are in America, but if I was running a business in Australia I'd want to be careful about freedom of speeching for the chuds since landing my business in a tribunal or losing customers due to toxic regulars sounds dumb.

Yeah, NW Florida which apparently is Chudsylvania

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone described him as an "IRL Skaven" and that seems pretty apt

Please don't, Skaven are at least adorable

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanqol - love it :)

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Thanqol posted:

During the Horus Heresy a random Alpha Legion tactical squad dressed themselves as ultramarines, walked up to Primarch Rouboute Guilliman in his palace, and almost succeeded in killing him. They'd done this not through strategy or cunning or brilliance but through an exhausted, weary compliance with every single aspect of protocol and paperwork. This boring, grinding form of infiltration caught the eye of Grandfather Nurgle, who caught their souls and fused them together into the body of a Daemon Prince. The Scribes now continue their horrible, monotonous work - it's amazing how far you can get in the bureaucratic nightmare of the Imperium by filling out the proper forms.

Just awesome and now I realize the lore has always been missing an assassin house which is specialized in assassination through paperwork.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Maneck posted:

Just awesome and now I realize the lore has always been missing an assassin house which is specialized in assassination through paperwork.

The Adeptus Administratum has a higher body count than the rest of the galaxy combined.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Work in progress on my Szeras. I need a complimentary colour for his soul sucking beam and subsequent soulspolsion.

I was leaning purple?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mr. Humalong posted:

Worth remembering that while some necron units are getting new models, others don't seem to be, for now anyway. Or you could buy some old style warriors off ebay or something on the cheap.

For example you could buy a generic necron overlord as the model will likely still be useful.

As the other have pointed out though, people buy the boxes and split them, so you'll probably be able to buy it on ebay pretty much from day 1.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TKIY posted:

Work in progress on my Szeras. I need a complimentary colour for his soul sucking beam and subsequent soulspolsion.

I was leaning purple?

A bright green? Like in the recent promo pics.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was considering just straight blood for the blood God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Painted a commissar as practice before painting my new wanna-be eldar Inquisitor lady.

I still need to figure out how to paint faces instead of just using flesh wash, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

I even tried out contrast paint on the red pants, but I have mixed feelings about it. It kind of has a glossy texture that I'm not in love with, but after using nuln oil it looked pretty good.