Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1280198158476247040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
this ended up in the trump thread somehow, but it belongs here

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

If anyone's curious to see where all that PPP money wound up, the Small Business Administration just released the list of recipients of forgivable PPP loans greater thank $150k. It doesn't give exact amounts, just ranges, and the amounts are of the original loan amounts awarded, not necessarily the amounts that will be forgiven.

Overall, it seems roughly 52,000 loans above $150k were made to Texas organizations, from law firms to oil-drilling partnerships to art museums and everything in between. Some big TX recipients: Alamo Drafthouse, Bill Miller, Luby's, Pappas Restaurants, Torchy's, Pei Wei (headquartered in Irving, apparently), Gearbox Software, and the Houston Rodeo all got $5 to $10 mil, the top range. Houston Baptist University, Our Lady of the Lake (in San Antonio), and University of Dallas appear to be the private colleges receiving $5 to $10 mil, but many other private colleges and churches start appearing once you get down to the $2-5 mil range.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

Some big TX recipients: ... Luby's

Uhh... how exactly does this work given they've decided to close up shop and sell off everything? Because it sounds like they've decided to turn a bunch of taxpayer money into free dollars for their executives and shareholders, against the very purpose of the program.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Not all locations are closed

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blotto_Otter posted:

If anyone's curious to see where all that PPP money wound up, the Small Business Administration just released the list of recipients of forgivable PPP loans greater thank $150k. It doesn't give exact amounts, just ranges, and the amounts are of the original loan amounts awarded, not necessarily the amounts that will be forgiven.

Overall, it seems roughly 52,000 loans above $150k were made to Texas organizations, from law firms to oil-drilling partnerships to art museums and everything in between. Some big TX recipients: Alamo Drafthouse, Bill Miller, Luby's, Pappas Restaurants, Torchy's, Pei Wei (headquartered in Irving, apparently), Gearbox Software, and the Houston Rodeo all got $5 to $10 mil, the top range. Houston Baptist University, Our Lady of the Lake (in San Antonio), and University of Dallas appear to be the private colleges receiving $5 to $10 mil, but many other private colleges and churches start appearing once you get down to the $2-5 mil range.

At least the rodeo makes some sense if, and this is a big if, that money went into the metric fuckton of scholarships and other charities the rodeo provides.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Not all locations are closed

My understanding is that that they plan to, though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Blotto_Otter posted:

Blotto_Otter posted:

Gearbox Software

What's a software company need PPE for? They should all be working remotely from home.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

LLSix posted:

What's a software company need PPE for? They should all be working remotely from home.

Gearbox is run by a moron so I assume they are probably all stuffed into a single conference room.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LLSix posted:

If I can't see you working on the cel-shading of Moxxie's tits for BL4 then I don't know if you're working!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks It's the Payroll Protection Program which is used so that businesses that are impacted by the pandemic can afford to keep paying their employees, it's not a loan for the sole purpose of purchasing PPE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i heard Mister Luby spent it all on green jello

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
IIRC, 80 percent of PPP loans need to be used on payroll as the name implies. There's other loans/grants out there like EIDL and the various county level programs that may be used for PPE etc.

Gearbox receiving PPP really doesn't make sense because their workforce can be virtual, and their sales can be digital. It's not like the demand for a grindy looter shooter is going to DECREASE while everyone is staying home.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah because if anyone needs a loan to keep their struggling business going, it's loving Gearbox.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

LLSix posted:

So Randy Pitchford can steal and sell it for himself.
I know some other game companies are now starting to offer Work From Home as a permanent option.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 6, 2020

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Got exposed at work the other week. My 2 week quarantine ends on Wednesday. Job requires a negative test to return to work. All of the testing centers in my smaller county won't test me since I'm asymptomatic.

Work in the time of COVID.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

LLSix posted:

I think the PPP was meant to support payroll expenses regardless of industry, so it behooved just about any qualifying business (which was most businesses) to submit an application and take a shot. I don't really fault all these companies for taking advantage of the benefits available to them, even if they didn't really need them to survive. It would be better if we had a more complex system able to determine who actually needed funding to survive and could discriminate accordingly, but there was no time (or competency, or political desire) to implement that kind of fine-grained system, so this flawed approach was better than nothing.

Also, if you're not familiar with Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford, you should probably keep it that way. Let's just say that he is, ah, not the most scrupulous fellow, and it is entirely unsurprising that he was the first in line for any shot at free money.

ReidRansom posted:

Uhh... how exactly does this work given they've decided to close up shop and sell off everything? Because it sounds like they've decided to turn a bunch of taxpayer money into free dollars for their executives and shareholders, against the very purpose of the program.
I think that only actual bankruptcy proceedings make you ineligible for a PPP loan, and Luby's hasn't (or hadn't, at the time of getting the loan) actually moved to enter bankruptcy.

There's certainly room for abuse in PPP loans, but the benefits of the program probably outweigh the cost of abuse. IMO, the real fuckery is going to happen in the other, non-PPP programs, which are largely under the discretion of the Treasury Department and on which the administration is already fighting oversight and transparency.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kunabomber posted:

IIRC, 80 percent of PPP loans need to be used on payroll as the name implies. There's other loans/grants out there like EIDL and the various county level programs that may be used for PPE etc.

Gearbox receiving PPP really doesn't make sense because their workforce can be virtual, and their sales can be digital. It's not like the demand for a grindy looter shooter is going to DECREASE while everyone is staying home.

What, you want some means testing

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
There was already means testing for these loans, namely if you already had a lot of money you will get more money

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the hot thing to do was get the PPP funds, immediately fire a bunch of people, and hire on your friends for 8 weeks to share the wealth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatFitzgerald23/status/1280217058677084160

Folks, we love to see it, don't we. We love our rugged individuals.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pobrecito posted:

Got exposed at work the other week. My 2 week quarantine ends on Wednesday. Job requires a negative test to return to work. All of the testing centers in my smaller county won't test me since I'm asymptomatic.

Work in the time of COVID.

tell them youre symptomatic

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

i heard Mister Luby spent it all on green jello

He wasted it all on Luanne.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Got a political text today!

quote:

Hi John! It's Georganne, a volunteer with MJ Hegar's campaign. MJ is a working mom, combat veteran, and Democrat running for US Senate. Early voting for the Dem runoff is open until July 10 and Election Day is July 14. Can we count on your support? (¡Háganos saber si prefiere mensajes en español!)

First of all, wrong name. How did you get this number? Second of all, I’m not a registered Texas voter anymore, since I moved 8 months ago. Finally, no MJ does not have my support sorry Georganne.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I got a similar one. That poo poo goes on autoblock instantly. Don't text me unless you know me.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
What are the ethics of voting with COVID?

Just dont?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1280288599578198017

hurr durr I'm the governor

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

saintonan posted:

I got a similar one. That poo poo goes on autoblock instantly. Don't text me unless you know me.

It's not like they're using their personal phones - or their own phone numbers - to text you. In all likelihood it's a similar setup to what the Elizabeth Warren campaign used. You sign in, you get assigned a phone number appropriate to the place you're texting to, you get assigned a list of phone numbers (named things like "Likely Voters TX 2018" or "Democratic Primary TX 2016"), you click "send" for each of the list, you wait to see if you get any replies. Anything like "don't text me again" or "I'm on the do not call list" gets the number put on the "don't text this number" list (even though the Do Not Call List explicitly exempts political activity), everything else you have a list of replies to choose from.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The governor told local officials they couldn't enforce restrictions against individuals. Get the gently caress out of here Greg.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sab0921 posted:

Just dont?

"shoulda gotten a mail in ballot" :v:

I personally, if an active plague victim, would not feel comfortable masking up and visiting a voting site with maximal distancing and thorough disinfecting, especially since they're generally staffed by olds.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

Just dont?

Unfortunately I think "just don't" is the correct answer. It's an unplanned medical emergency. If you got in a serious car accident and had to spend two weeks in the hospital you wouldn't be able to vote either. Not voting in this case isn't a failure of responsibility on your part, it's just the reality of dealing with a serious medical condition.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

Just dont?

I would definitely say don't vote if you're entering a polling location. A wary MAYBE if you're gonna do curbside voting.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

This rear end literally stopped them for doing the things they wanted to do and now he's complaining about it. Just lol my guy. Anyone got the COVID numbers for this week or is that Tuesday?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

"'SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING - the president' - the governor"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1280295451439366144

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1280305859407548417

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

this ended up in the trump thread somehow, but it belongs here

That is the most Gulf Coats Texas thing I have seen today. A winner is all of us. Thank you for that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I have seen so many adds for gay Pontiac - dick in son and never realized just how gay that car dealership was.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

R.I.P. Pontiac - too gay to stay

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FoolyCharged posted:

I have seen so many adds for gay Pontiac - dick in son and never realized just how gay that car dealership was.

yeah being located in dickinson is a bit on the nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Just dont?

As I understand it, the main vector of spreading the disease is through the spit in the air you breathe (there was also some news story about farts potentially spreading the disease as well, but that is effectively blocked by pants). If you aren't heavily coughing, it's possible that it would be safe enough if you just wear a mask and make sure you heavily wash your hands before touching anything so you're not spreading any residue.

Although honestly in the complicated calculation of whether you're too worried that you could be contagious weighed against how much you value having your voice heard, a primary runoff doesn't matter nearly as much as the actual election, so it's not really worth a risk.