Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Wave posted:

There's lots of stuff in the world that isn't anime and there are a lot of advantages to not being anime. For example, not being social suicide.

Anime hasn’t been social suicide ever and you’re saying absolute nonsense. If you think liking Mortal Kombat is somehow cool you’re even weirder than I thought.

Especially because Anime isn’t a genre it’s a medium, because it literally just translates to animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

No Wave posted:

There's lots of stuff in the world that isn't anime and there are a lot of advantages to not being anime. For example, not being social suicide.

We've long since transitioned to anime being mainstream, get on with the times.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so what are the core values then

No naked adults

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sorry global women. You will continue to be objectified and commodified in all media because Endorph and some other internet lesbians think objectification is hot and okay.

Who needs fighting games when making holier-than-thou internet posts is truly the greatest high there is

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

No Wave posted:

It's not the 2000s. You can watch anime and not be seen as a weirdo, it's fine.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sorry global women. You will continue to be objectified and commodified in all media because Endorph and some other internet lesbians think objectification is hot and okay.

Lol, this is an incredibly reductive way to take that post and there are more issues at hand here that go infinitely deeper than DOA having titties in them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

An easy way to tell if someone is loving useless is if their idea for solving a culture of pervasive sexual abuse involves getting rid of things and people they dont like, and games they dont play, and literally no selfreflection or change on their part

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Goku and Pikachu are in the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade.

It may not be for normies or whatever but it's pretty mainstream

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Goku and Pikachu are in the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade.

It may not be for normies or whatever but it's pretty mainstream
I work online now but back when i worked a retail job like half the people i worked with were talking about hunter x hunter and poo poo, and i didnt work at the anime store

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

doa has the largest ratio of women to men in fgs that ive seen personally

women like doa bc it's not a "Real Game" and wasn't in the arcades after 2 so there weren't any gatekeepers in the late 90s to harass or intimidate them

i wonder whatever happened to those gatekeepers................ probably nothing, still running tournaments i'd say

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

women like doa bc it's not a "Real Game" and wasn't in the arcades after 2 so there weren't any gatekeepers in the late 90s to harass or intimidate them

i wonder whatever happened to those gatekeepers................ probably nothing, still running tournaments i'd say
Plus ladies do actually like a lot of the female doa cast. Like theres xtreme beach volleyball but its still a setting where the female characters are leading the plot but male characters still exist. Im fine with girl character only FGs but its definitely a different vibe than a mixed gender series where all the main protagonists are girls except for the dude from ninja gaiden

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I mean, if the games are at fault for the culture, then the response should be to get rid of series that are more prevalent in the community instead of ones that are rejected for not being good enough.

Didn't they also get Shang Tsung's actor from the movie to voice act for him in the DLC?

And Mocap, I believe. He's fantastic in the role as well, the DLC is basically a few hours of pure-strain fan pleasure culminating in Shang Tsung realizing Liu Kang is even more stone cold than he is.

What I'm saying is I really hope the new film is good because all the pieces are already there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The GDQ chat thread fiasco made me very sour about horny as expressing your gender identity/sexuality, that's all I'll say on the topic.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Smoking Crow posted:

ive seen it too

one girl i knew who loved it said she liked that most of the women were high powered CEOs and poo poo

the gatekeeper theory is interesting too

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

No Wave posted:

the narratives aren't entirely about hidden powers manifesting themselves,

I mean, that is one of the better twists in the modern games.

Quan Chi at the end of MK9: "Haha! How will they ever beat Shinnok's invasion in this timeline now that Liu Kang and most of the heroes are dead?"

Johnny Cage ten minutes into MKX: "So anyway, my hidden powers manifested themselves..."

Cassie Cage at the end of MKX: "Oh, cool! My hidden powers have manifested themselves!"

No Wave posted:

Nobody ships or cosplays as MK characters.

At last year's New York Comic Con, I cosplayed as Mokap.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gavok posted:

At last year's New York Comic Con, I cosplayed as Mokap.

you are a hero, im sorry about quack

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ive seen it too

one girl i knew who loved it said she liked that most of the women were high powered CEOs and poo poo

the gatekeeper theory is interesting too
I mean you can see the gatekeeper thing even in this thread, the same guy who said doa was the source of all sexism also said it basically wasnt a real fighting game/only had one good game. The usual fgc crowd doesnt take doa seriously at all. Given current events i dont think its unreasonable to say that a fg that lacks the usual fgc crowd miight be more welcoming to women

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wait I totally missed that stories about "hidden powers manifesting themselves" is a hallmark of the anime genre

drat star wars is anime as gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ill say it, I haven't played a DoA since 5(?) but they are fun games unlike street fighter which makes me lust for console power failure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Superman's origin is about hidden powers manifesting, therefore Superman is anime

Superman was in Mortal Kombat Vs DC, therefore Mortal Kombat is also anime

QED

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Endorph posted:

I mean you can see the gatekeeper thing even in this thread, the same guy who said doa was the source of all sexism also said it basically wasnt a real fighting game/only had one good game. The usual fgc crowd doesnt take doa seriously at all. Given current events i dont think its unreasonable to say that a fg that lacks the usual fgc crowd miight be more welcoming to women

*a guy who built a tournament around Street Fighter and apologized publicly for Dead or Alive existing does horrible sexual acts*

WOW THIS IS DEAD OR ALIVE'S FAULT

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gay ppl like doa too

The oldest thread on FreeStepDodge is the gay/trans thread where ppl talk about how it's hard to be be gay and also post pics of bass's rear end in a top hat

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Star wars is reasonably anime and is certainly more anime than mortal kombat.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Barudak posted:

Ill say it, I haven't played a DoA since 5(?) but they are fun games unlike street fighter which makes me lust for console power failure.

DOA5 was the one I skipped over, but I put a hell of a lot of time into DOA4. I liked 6 as well, but between all of the other FGs that dropped last year, it got lost in the shuffle for me.

Blockhouse posted:

Superman's origin is about hidden powers manifesting, therefore Superman is anime

Superman was in Mortal Kombat Vs DC, therefore Mortal Kombat is also anime

QED

:hmmyes:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

All the modern Marvel and Disney poo poo tap into the anime consumerism zeitgeist and are thusly anime.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I enjoyed doa6 quite a bit but it died hard on console rip

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

doa5 was great

6 is pretty ok

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I entered doa6 at Michigan masters (rip) and i almost got to play dacidbro but I lost in losers top 8

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Faffel posted:

All the modern Marvel and Disney poo poo tap into the anime consumerism zeitgeist and are thusly anime.

I like how Micheal B Jordan straight up dressed like Vegeta when he played Killmonger, but probably can't admit it for legal reasons.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

No Wave posted:

Nobody ships or cosplays as MK characters.

There's a fuckton of MK cosplay but also

Mortal Kombat is extremely anime in everything but aesthetic and origin.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

u have a humiliation fetish or something lmao

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I competed in a Quarterly Rapport DOA6 online tournament for charity a few weeks ago. Got a few wins... in the losers bracket.

Watching big fighting game tournaments has never interested me much, but it's extremely disappointing that so many of these high level players and organizers ended up being mall arcade dirtbags.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like how Micheal B Jordan straight up dressed like Vegeta when he played Killmonger, but probably can't admit it for legal reasons.

I still want a DBZ move that recognizes this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

No Wave posted:

Yeah keep going, it's working out great

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
People certainly don't ship or cosplay as Star Wars characters at all.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm a GDQ queer hornyposter but also hate how aggressively horny modern fighting are. There's a big difference in a community being horny among itself and a mass market product with titties out and male gaze everywhere. The rampant objectification of women in media is a huge loving problem. Having it in Street Fighter is especially gross because it's the marquee representative of the whole genre. DoA is gross and dumb but is also like the fg equivalent of Lowrider magazine so I find it hard to care.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't know that SF got super horny until I saw the dlc and uh yeah thats fun. On the flip side, GG Strive really makes me want to get back in the gym once quarantine is over

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I didn't know that SF got super horny until I saw the dlc and uh yeah thats fun. On the flip side, GG Strive really makes me want to get back in the gym once quarantine is over

Seeing all the dudes that got mad ESPN (?) banned costumes for broadcast was funny af.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my main issue with sf is that it tries to act like the presentable marquee title but still has stuff like that in it, and then has to pick and choose which outfits are allowed on official streams. like pick one or the other.

that mr. wiz thing is basically just doa being punished for being honest about itself, like nothing actually in doa is any worse than rainbow mika's smacking her own rear end or whatever

Woden
May 6, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so what are the core values then

Set the age to 12-16 instead of 99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In my experience the people getting prudish over tits in video games seem MORE likely to be sex creeps. Also given the majority of accusations are of Smash Bros players...

Reminded of that KoF poll where Mai is the more popular character with women by a massive degree while all the japanese male fans apparently prefer the demure schoolgirls. I'm not sure if female Terry was counted, though.

And Mortal Kombat is anime as all holy hell, it's just also GI Joe and heavy metal album covers. Also it has shirtless costumes for most of the dudes now.