Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Finally got it with the help of legion of wax + intent on death. Even then Seraph still got to the pyre and I had to be able to tank a round.

Next game was a very silly Stygian/Waxen game where the game let me go infinite:

https://gfycat.com/gorgeousplaindegus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That idle bark from Seraph right before the end. :allears:

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I get about 1/10 runs where I get decks like this. The other 9/10 are hot garbage that die around the boss before Seraph.

Boy do those Spikedrivers wreck shop.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Turns out 5 copies of hoarfrost effigy is good.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I never get the copy 5 before I get to turn any card into something good. That event is such a tease.

Otoh today:

:getin:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

That event feels like it was supposed to add Purge to the five cards but they forgot.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Someone in the thread posted that earlier in development they acknowledged the event was unbalanced and had discussed changing it or adding a downside but eventually just decided it was too much fun to mess with so they left it alone.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just unlocked the wax crew and almost won wax/horny my first time out before making a bad mistake on seraph and losing

I still almost won despite that so i feel like i snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can reset a battle by exiting to the main menu and returning, though it’ll keep the basic random seed. I feel a little scummy whenever I do it, but is it an intentional feature?

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

You can reset a battle by exiting to the main menu and returning, though it’ll keep the basic random seed. I feel a little scummy whenever I do it, but is it an intentional feature?

Yeah I found this out by accident. I've been using it to help me get better when I'm about to lose my top row. I understand some may consider this cheating, but in singleplayer games just go with whats more fun.

It's pretty wild how a few different decisions in the early rounds can spiral into huge damage later on. Although I've also found that sometimes my second try is actually even worse than my first. If I don't win the third time, I'll just take the loss. Sometimes you just don't get the right cards when you need them. Or, I guess sometimes I made mistakes somewhere earlier in the run.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Sometimes it feels like the game just won’t give you a shot, and sometimes you end up with a large endless Dante doing 20x12.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I know people have said it before but Remnant definitely feels like the easiest to get off the ground. Strong early game that lets you snowball easily with lots of options.

I play Random/Random so it's fun to try to make other decks work (and pushes me to get better) but man Melting Remnant rules.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Blorange posted:

Does this game feel kinda 'samey' to anyone else? I've played through 4 runs and I've won them all by putting two runes on a beefy monster, duplicating it, and running straight buffs from then on.

I think part of it is the ease in which you can shape your deck, at least in the low covenant levels I've made my way through. Like, I'll get a card after 1-2 battles that makes me say "okay, my deck is gonna do This Thing this game" and then I just work toward that thing, and it's super easy to remove cards I don't want because of all the card removal stops, so it doesn't feel like a big deal to take a stopgap card to help me survive until I have my unbeatable bullshit gimmick going.

It's fun, but it also feels kinda playing an StS run where you use custom modifiers to make it much easier to shape your deck's shtick early on, and know how you're gonna beat the Heart by the time you finish the first act.

But again, I'm on like Cov 8, so we'll see how it changes as I go.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Finally got that elusive hellhorned/melting win and I'm in the all 25s club. :shepicide: The only thing I'm missing for completionist purposes is the score 50k in a daily cheevo. Theoretically I could play another game now but it's going to be hard to not just sit and win streak cov 1 again until I beat that 36 win streak. drat covid layoffs, I need to go back to work.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just got this and even won my first run ever with Snecko Eye Volatile gauge. Is Snecko Eye as broken in this as it is in StS because it sure as hell seemed like it?

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
On the last developer stream, they said that it is the #1 artifact at high covenant in terms of win rate. So, ya, similar to StS, but more so. No changes are planned for it so far either yet.

As for why I think it's better than in StS, it's probably because of the +1 extra card draw (+3 compared to +2) and how it respects any card upgrades that change the cost, since that gets applied after the cost it gets when drawn. Notably for cost decreases, but also for increases when you for example remove consume on a card and it's +1.

Krakhan fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 8, 2020

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Also StS has all of 1 card that costs more than 3 energy with a really strong effect. Monster train has at least 3. And Volatile Gauge isn't a boss relic, so it's not competing with +1 energy a turn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patrick Spens posted:

Also StS has all of 1 card that costs more than 3 energy with a really strong effect. Monster train has at least 3. And Volatile Gauge isn't a boss relic, so it's not competing with +1 energy a turn.

Which one of Meteor Strike and Omniscience did you forget?

The main reason why Gauge isn't quite Snecko Eye is that average costs in Monster Train are lower. Most things only cost 1.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah it can be sort of bad early on with Melting Remnant (a bunch of 0 cost cards now being expensive) but I've found its still pretty much an auto win early relic.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Yep, if you get it early enough that you can really tailor your deck choices to it it’s ridiculous

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Which one of Meteor Strike and Omniscience did you forget?

The main reason why Gauge isn't quite Snecko Eye is that average costs in Monster Train are lower. Most things only cost 1.

Oh right, watcher's a class.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Praise Snecko then

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Patrick Spens posted:

Oh right, watcher's a class.

The best class :allears:

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I hate Watcher. Defect is the best.

Just had a fun run where the Seraph's birds were annihilating most of my units but I had a 23/73 Legion of Wax on the top floor I was able to split with Intent on Death plus the double extinguish artifact, descend the Legion, split it again, then descend it again for 7 Legions on all 3 floors.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lodestone totem seems like the best card in the game yeah?

Ended up with 100 sap on the final boss.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Got posted over in Steam megathread but seems pretty relevant for here.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Monster Train first free DLC is now on public beta. They have made plenty of balance changes, introduced lots of mutators for custom runs, different card frames, etc., and almost 30 fixes.

Instructions:

1. Make sure Monster Train is not running
2. Right click on the game in your Steam library
3. Click "Properties"
4. Click the "Betas" tab
5. In the dropdown menu, choose "public-test-server"
6. Press close and wait for the game to update

Here's the whole changelog: https://pastebin.com/SNdRWFmp

quote:

Snip posted:
First of all, we just wanted to say a bit about our balance philosophy. Overall our goal isn't some type of 'perfect' balance where all cards are used with similar frequency or there aren't super powered combos. Our goals instead with the current round of balance changes are twofold: firstly we wanted to target the outliers - cards or artifacts with very high win and pick rates and ones with very low rates. Ideally this means that it's never a 'no-brainer' to either pass on or pick a card or artifact and as often as possible the choice depends on the current state of your run.

Secondly we wanted to start shifting our balance 'target' to higher covenants - as we've launched and more players have begun to climb the covenants we both have enough data and believe the playerbase as a whole is at a high enough level that we're doing more of our tuning targeted around the top end of play. The end result is that some cards that are balanced at a high end of play may be slightly stronger or weaker in the lower covenant end of play, and that's ok. Our goal here is rather to make sure the end-game depth is as diverse as possible with the biggest practical impact being around updating the scaling values on certain cards to make sure they're viable at all covenant levels. As usual all balance is an ongoing process and especially in a game with as many pieces as this one we expect to continue to tune and adjust frequently around the launch of the patch as a wider range of players gets their hands on the changes.
Lots of changes listed.
Snecko Gauge was nerfed a bit to be 0-4 cost range, and they buffed stacking mostly so Frostbite could be more powerful.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quote:

7. GAMEPLAY - Morsels that get eaten no longer count as deaths for Harvest or other mechanics.

Hmmm

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah not a fan of that one. It makes some sense but it's going to leave the remnant/umbral combo unplayable.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yeah not a fan of that one. It makes some sense but it's going to leave the remnant/umbral combo unplayable.

It nerfs the banker/collector umbra game, which is too bad, but it sure as gently caress defangs that rear end in a top hat that gets +10 armor for every slain morsel, and I’ll take that trade any day.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, when they said they were tweaking other stuff I was hoping for some other buffs than the rather anemic stuff they did get. Most of the Harvest units are still hilariously awful and didn't get touched at all. They also seem to have adjusted two of the morsel's stats and then just stopped

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

They made most of the harvest units better and then removed the only real synergy they had, which was feeding them morsels. I've actually had C25 runs that won off the back of big sludge eating morsels, but now it's even less playable somehow. I don't really like most of the nerfs, while nearly everything that got buffed needed it.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 9, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
lol at the effigies being made 3 ember

Also onehorn's tome costing 6... geez

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

code:
12. GAMEPLAY - Volatile Gauge random ember cost increased from 0-3 -> 0-4. Volatile Gauge had the highest win rate of any artifact in the game at high covenant levels.
Boo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dalaram posted:

It nerfs the banker/collector umbra game, which is too bad, but it sure as gently caress defangs that rear end in a top hat that gets +10 armor for every slain morsel, and I’ll take that trade any day.
That is an extremely good point, and I'm much more in favor of this now. A single enemy type should not be what's basically an end-runner for an entire faction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

That is an extremely good point, and I'm much more in favor of this now. A single enemy type should not be what's basically an end-runner for an entire faction.

Yes, instead there should be enemies like Crystalcloak that are run enders for entire strategies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I gotta ask, Jedit, what do you get out of reading this thread? You’ve made it very clear that you’re burnt out on the game. Why keep spending mental energy on it?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PMush Perfect posted:

I gotta ask, Jedit, what do you get out of reading this thread? You’ve made it very clear that you’re burnt out on the game. Why keep spending mental energy on it?

it’s Jedit, lol

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They're not wrong about crystal cloak though, gently caress that boss :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I've stayed subbed to the thread because I enjoyed the core gameplay loop and was hoping a future balance patch might fix the problems that were frustrating me at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

it’s Jedit, lol
:hmmyes: