Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The tripolodine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

I think this actually came up in the episode guide: IIRC, the movie gave them so little to work with that they gave up and made all the host segments about waffles.

The best part of that was making a sketch referencing Coily, then not riffing the Coily short for another 7 years.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

The best part of that was making a sketch referencing Coily, then not riffing the Coily short for another 7 years.

"Where does Coily fit in God's plan for us, Mike?"

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Has Gary in Motion (on Youtube) removed the Cinematic versions of MST3K? We've been looking at them on weekends (Eegah...not so much watching out for snakes, but so much more of Arch Hall, Jr's face), but unless my search-fu has failed me, they seem to have disappeared off youtube.

Did find this, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXW6-KlMM9Y

which I think will be tonight's film. (Much needed after my university suddenly announced on Monday that they are enacting a major purge of permanent staff on my faculty to save their massive 6-figure salaries the budget due to covid lockdown).

Edit -- yep: they were removed a few days ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/MST3K/comments/hisqrl/garyinmotion_cinema_editions_removed/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MST3K/comments/hiuxfs/the_curtain_closes_on_mst3k_cinema_editions/

ETA -- And here's probably why they were removed: big article all about the guy's work brought his channel to the wrong people's attention, I guess:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy/mst3k/mst3k-cinema-edition-youtube-mystery-science-theater/

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 3, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A lot of MST episodes have been scrubbed from YouTube, possibly because they're now on Tubi.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dawgstar posted:

A lot of MST episodes have been scrubbed from YouTube, possibly because they're now on Tubi.

:(

Tubi's blocked in the UK.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Larryb posted:

Don't remember if it extended to the riffs but I kind of always thought the Canada sketch in Final Sacrifice (I think that was it anyway) was a little much as well.

Yeah, reminding Canada that Michael Meyers came from there is a really low blow.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Every time someone refers to their spouse as "the wife" I hear Tom Servo say "boy, the wife will be awfully glad to see the me."

"We're going to have the sex!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite married couple riff: "I love it when you act like der Fuhrer, honey! Let's commit the marriage act!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

:mad: "I haven't got two ideas to rub together."

:shlick: "Don't say rub! Or hard, or grind, or moist, or gristle..."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:mad: "I haven't got two ideas to rub together."

:shlick: "Don't say rub! Or hard, or grind, or moist, or gristle..."

But my spider-sense is throbbing!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
But I've got a mantis in my pantis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Are you putting up your leg again? Aren't I enough for you!?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Ah, the heavily sexed life of appliance repair!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Larryb posted:

Don't remember if it extended to the riffs but I kind of always thought the Canada sketch in Final Sacrifice (I think that was it anyway) was a little much as well.

I really like that one. They try for good-natured ribbing and then one of them takes it off the deep end and makes everyone uncomfortable, eventually leading to tears and an apology. It feels like something everyone can identify with.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plus, at some point, we've all seen Anne of Green Gables smiling up at us one too many times and wished to blow up Prince Edward Island, and then immediately regretted it, because of all its natural beauty and all the Rowsdowers who live there.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I really like that one. They try for good-natured ribbing and then one of them takes it off the deep end and makes everyone uncomfortable, eventually leading to tears and an apology. It feels like something everyone can identify with.

Servo's anger-fueled overreactions really speak to me, because I feel like that all the time.

I'm a disgrace to my uniform. Pardonnez-moi. :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Plus, at some point, we've all seen Anne of Green Gables smiling up at us one too many times and wished to blow up Prince Edward Island, and then immediately regretted it, because of all its natural beauty and all the Rowsdowers who live there.

Fair point, plus Servo’s anger-fueled meltdowns are usually entertaining to watch.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
:rip: to a legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSngWDoNVwM

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bicyclops posted:

I don't want to pull out the maple syrup card, but I'm Canadian and love when people make fun of Canada because as a people we're pretty smug about our self-anointed greatness. Especially vis-a-vis Amercans.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Deep Deep TONGUE" :pervert:

But yeah, RIP to one of the greatest

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Angry_Ed posted:

"Deep Deep TONGUE" :pervert:

But yeah, RIP to one of the greatest

"Mmm... You smell like a tire store"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And to think this is just a good samaritan he met in the tunnel.

She's a GREAT samaritan! :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

"Mmm... You smell like a tire store"

"Do you work at a petting zoo?"

Also:

https://twitter.com/beaverbrewing/status/1280526475779768320

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Buy me anything in there with Larry Csonka on it, I'll pay for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Why an IPA? That's not the beer I think of when I think of Zap Rowsdower.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah a Zap Rowsdower beer should be a wheat beer.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

A Zap Rowsdower beer should be one that costs around $5 for a 12-pack.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A Zap Rowsdower beer should be whatever's cheapest at the package store or the gas station.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A Zap Rowsdower beer should be whatever's cheapest at the package store or the gas station.

Free picture of Brian Mulroney with every fill-up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So do you think Rowsdower likes the Oilers or the Flames?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sash! posted:

So do you think Rowsdower likes the Oilers or the Flames?

Fuckin' Oilers buddy, does he look like some Calgary yuppie douchebag to you?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

Fuckin' Oilers buddy, does he look like some Calgary yuppie douchebag to you?

Down at the game store a friend and I played a game with a guy who did long haul trucking from Edmonton. He was very apologetic that Canada had elected Trudeau and in general on the whole that Canada did not like Trump very much in general. It was quite eye-opening.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dawgstar posted:

Down at the game store a friend and I played a game with a guy who did long haul trucking from Edmonton. He was very apologetic that Canada had elected Trudeau and in general on the whole that Canada did not like Trump very much in general. It was quite eye-opening.

Alberta has a hosed up mentality. They're very right wing ( Conservatives in power for 46 of the last 50 years iirc ) and have this huge chip on their shoulder about not getting enough respect for their oil and gas industry from the rest of the country. They've also convinced themselves that they are the core of Canada's economy and that they're paying for the rest of our social programs, both of which are extremely untrue. The have ~10% of the population and can't seem to understand why we don't let them call all the shots.

It's a beautiful place but the people are loving weird.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
A Zapp Rowsdower Beer somehow still comes in a pop top.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Frank comments on their upcoming presentation:

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1281282039891755008

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rewatching some Netflix episodes since I haven't watched them a million times like the original and they are still pretty good. They Day Time Ended might be a boring movie but the riff is top notch. Also the "we're men of a certain age" skit is funny.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I wish Reptilicus didn't have such annoying riffing, because the Every Nation Has a Monster song is a top tier host segment for me. The riffs are just too rapid fire, kind of like they were self conscious about taking the show over.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ringu0 posted:

Frank comments on their upcoming presentation:

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1281282039891755008

Just recognizing that they've done wrong in the past, have apologized for it, and have worked to do better makes me feel MUCH better about anything they do, regardless of the actual movie in question, speaking as a trans woman who's been hurt by awkward trans/queerphobic jokes in MST3K and related media before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

shoeberto posted:

I wish Reptilicus didn't have such annoying riffing, because the Every Nation Has a Monster song is a top tier host segment for me. The riffs are just too rapid fire, kind of like they were self conscious about taking the show over.

I think it was more due to the different writing style. If everyone is in the same room watching the movie together, it feels more natural than people writing riffs separately, then combining it all.

Also, I vaguely recall some mention of how a lot of modern TV comedy (Family Guy may have been the example) is super dense with jokes and references, so they were going for that pacing. If that's the case, I'm glad they decided to give the jokes a bit of breathing room later.

Arivia posted:

Just recognizing that they've done wrong in the past, have apologized for it, and have worked to do better makes me feel MUCH better about anything they do, regardless of the actual movie in question, speaking as a trans woman who's been hurt by awkward trans/queerphobic jokes in MST3K and related media before.

Bill has been doing the same kind of thing on the Rifftrax side. Laser Mission originally included a transphobic joke, but the VOD on the site was eventually updated to remove it. I can't even remember what it was, but it probably had to do with the "solider doesn't realize his commanding officer is a woman" gag in the movie. And I can't recall them doing anything like that to begin with in the more recent ones.

And on a similar note, I think Gypsy has been officially renamed GPC after the last live tour. Joel got some feedback about her name around the time the tour was coming together.