Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Ah, great! All of the resentment that Rosalie had for Bella is now wiped away in an instant because she didn't get an abortion!

If you don't want to actually resolve conflicts and just want to make them all instantly go away at the end of the series, maybe you should reconsider if you actually enjoy writing.

Meyers' Mormonism is showing again. Mormonism is very heavy-handed about how women who physically can't have children for whatever reason should go whole hog on being an extra mom to their fertile female friends so they can basically be a mother themselves. Rosalie is playing the part of the barren Mormon aunt to the hilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I can practically see the part in a film where Charlie, having been on an obvious runaround for so long, spies on the Cullen house with binoculars and sees the family smiling and cheerful while their new daughter-in-law is supposedly in critical condition. Maybe he even sees Bella and has trouble reconciling her apparent change in appearance or something.

Hell, maybe he runs into the Volturri and they decide to play corn hole together until its time for them to reenter the plot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So Stephenie Meyer has answered a lot of questions on her website, and they're quite...illuminating.

quote:

What’s the deal with Bella just falling in love with Jacob in the eleventh hour of Eclipse? Don’t you believe in true love anymore? What happened to blacken your soul, woman??

First of all, let me say that I do believe in true love. But I also deeply believe in the complexity, variety, and downright insanity of love. A lucky person loves hundreds of people in their lives, all in different ways, family love, friendship love, romantic love, all in so many shades and depths. I don’t think you lose your ability—or right—to have true love by loving more than one person. In part, this is true because you never love two people the same way. Another part is that, if you’re lucky, you learn to love better with practice. The bottom line is that you have to choose who you are going to commit to—that’s the foundation of true love, not a lack of other options.

Next, Bella does not fall in love with Jacob in Eclipse. Bella falls in love with Jacob in New Moon. I think it’s easy to understand why this fact doesn’t occur to her. Bella has only fallen in love one time, and it was a very sudden, dramatic, sweep-you-off-your-feet, change-your-world, magical, passionate, all-consuming thing (see: Twilight). Can you blame her for not recognizing a much more subtle kind of falling-in-love?

Does this love devaluate her love for Edward? Not for me. For me, it makes that perfect true love stronger. Bella has another option. She has a really good one. An option that’s easier in many ways, that takes nothing—like her family, present or future—away from her. She would have love, and friendship, and family—an enviable human future. But she chooses Edward over all of this. This makes it real for me.

Allow me to quote from Steve Oedekerk’s brilliant Star Wars parody, Thumb Wars:

Loke Groundrunner: “I will go with you and fight!”

Oobedoob Benubi: “Oh, big sacrifice; everyone you knew is dead! Glad you could tear yourself away!”

So obviously, we already know Meyer's Mormon-inspired "true love" belief. But remember what happens in New Moon? Bella's very first motivation, from the beginning all the way to the end, was to use Jacob to her own ends. Her pursuit of friendship with him is a self-admitted manipulation to use his aid in driving her self-destructive impulses. The one time she actually expresses serious romantic interest in him, after her cliff dive stunt, it's presented from the perspective of "I will never have anyone as perfect as Edward and will always be sad, but maybe I can use him as a substitute for happiness and having to get over it."

And then she never expresses serious interest in him again! Virtually all of their interactions devolve into fighting, including multiple sexual assaults on Jacob's part. If you weren't told that he's supposed to be the third member of the love triangle and her insistence that he's her best friend over and over, you'd think they hate each other! And the moment she decides she loves him, it's an "I'm actually turned on by this rape" realization.

So if you're wondering if Meyer understood even a fraction of the implications behind her writing, no. Everything really is as she says it is on the page, without any subtext otherwise. If a character makes a statement that is not disproven, you can assume it's meant to be hard truth.

Also she says in a later question that she's not providing any "deleted scenes" for Eclipse because nothing major or especially interesting was cut. So what you see is pretty much what came out of her head at the start.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

quote:

For me, it makes that perfect true love stronger. Bella has another option. She has a really good one. An option that’s easier in many ways, that takes nothing—like her family, present or future—away from her. She would have love, and friendship, and family—an enviable human future. But she chooses Edward over all of this. This makes it real for me.

But...literally none of that happens? She ends up sacrificing absolutely nothing. Her future? She didn't want to go to college or have a career or start a family, or do anything except be with her True Love. Her family? She gets to have a child and stay in touch with her parents anyway. Even the stupid love triangle is resolved. There isn't a single thing that she doesn't get by making the "hard choice."

Oh no, should I choose to be a rich and beautiful immortal being with superpowers or marry the guy with anger issues who sexually assaulted me when I was depressed? Decisions, decisions.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if the Volturi reacted to the demon baby by sending Carlisle a polite email saying that they looked into the future and found out Renesmee was nice, and also Bella can keep in touch with her family if she wants, that won't be a problem. And then the rest of the book is Bella, Edward, and Renesmee growing an ornamental vegetable garden outside their cottage while Jacob stands around creepily.

I mean, I've seen enough complaints about the end of the story to know that that's not exactly what happens, but it's pretty consistent with how the conflicts have been resolved so far.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

Meyer posted:

I realized that lots of things about me—like truly hating surprises, and not liking gifts in general much more—had not changed one bit. It was a relief and revelation to discover how much of my essential core traits had come with me into this new body.

I hadn't expected to be myself. I smiled widely.

chitoryu12 posted:

Why would you be surprised? You've known the Cullens long enough to hear about all their backstories and supposedly you've spent enough time around them for all of them to treat you as a member of the family long before you married into it. Did you think all of them lost their human personalities? Granted, Meyer's writing is devoid of three dimensions....

If vampirism is, as people have supposed, a metaphorical representation of Mormonism, this becomes very ominous in terms of how Meyer thought about committing to Mormonism.

I only mention this because, as chitoryu points out, this passage has no story reason to exist; Bella has never seen any evidence that vampirism alters personality, beyond the necessity of drinking blood. But Meyer still wrote it, so it must make sense to her somehow.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The cottage room was something from a fairy tale. The floor was a crazy quilt of smooth, flat stones. The low ceiling had long exposed beams that someone as tall as Jacob would surely knock his head on. The walls were warm wood in some places, stone mosaics in others. The beehive fireplace in the corner held the remains of a slow flickering fire. It was driftwood burning there—the low flames were blue and green from the salt.

So "an architect's nightmare." You have wooden walls and stone mosaic walls in the same room?

quote:

It was furnished in eclectic pieces, not one of them matching another, but harmonious just the same. One chair seemed vaguely medieval, while a low ottoman by the fire was more contemporary and the stocked bookshelf against the far window reminded me of movies set in Italy. Somehow each piece fit together with the others like a big three-dimensional puzzle. There were a few paintings on the walls that I recognized—some of my very favorites from the big house. Priceless originals, no doubt, but they seemed to belong here, too, like all the rest.

This woman has the worst imagination! "Nothing in here matches and it all comes from wildly different time periods and artistic movements but it all somehow works perfectly!" Imagine asking Stephenie Meyer to design your house after this poo poo.

quote:

It was a place where anyone could believe magic existed. A place where you just expected Snow White to walk right in with her apple in hand, or a unicorn to stop and nibble at the rosebushes.

Edward had always thought that he belonged to the world of horror stories. Of course, I’d known he was dead wrong. It was obvious that he belonged here. In a fairy tale.

And now I was in the story with him.

I'm going to barf.

quote:

I was about to take advantage of the fact that he hadn’t gotten around to setting me back on my feet and that his wits-scramblingly beautiful face was only inches away when he said, “We’re lucky Esme thought to add an extra room. No one was planning for Ness—Renesmee.”

I frowned at him, my thoughts channeled down a less pleasant path. “Not you, too,” I complained.

“Sorry, love. I hear it in their thoughts all the time, you know. It’s rubbing off on me.”

"Also the name you chose is just....absolute balls. Staggering."

quote:

I sighed. My baby, the sea serpent. Maybe there was no help for it. Well, I wasn’t giving in.

“I’m sure you’re dying to see the closet. Or, at least I’ll tell Alice that you were, to make her feel good.”

“Should I be afraid?”

“Terrified.”

"Have you ever heard of Dolls Kill, Bella?"

quote:

He carried me down a narrow stone hallway with tiny arches in the ceiling, like it was our own miniature castle.

How does it keep getting worse?!

quote:

“That will be Renesmee’s room,” he said, nodding to an empty room with a pale wooden floor. “They didn’t have time to do much with it, what with the angry werewolves.…”

I laughed quietly, amazed at how quickly everything had turned right when it all had looked so nightmarish just a week ago.

Your regular reminder of how short this story is despite how long it takes to get anywhere.

quote:

Drat Jacob for making everything perfect this way.

Yes, perfect. That's how I would describe your friend/sexual harasser becoming your son-in-law with your infant.

quote:

“Here’s our room. Esme tried to bring some of her island back here for us. She guessed that we would get attached.”

The bed was huge and white, with clouds of gossamer floating down from the canopy to the floor. The pale wood floor matched the other room, and now I grasped that it was precisely the color of a pristine beach. The walls were that almost-white-blue of a brilliant sunny day, and the back wall had big glass doors that opened into a little hidden garden. Climbing roses and a small round pond, smooth as a mirror and edged with shiny stones. A tiny, calm ocean for us.

Is this Meyer's idea of her personal Heaven? This is the most gaudy display of tastelessness. "Now it's a medieval castle! Now it's Snow White's cottage! Now it's Renaissance Italy! Now it's modern! Now it's the beach!"

And how big is this cottage anyway? It's supposed to be "tiny" and a century old for a hunter or something (despite wooden cabins being much more common in a logging area) and Emmett's idea to add a few thousand square feet was nixed, but somehow we have three rooms with a connecting hallway, a big bookshelf, a medieval throne, paintings, a massive canopy bed...

quote:

“Oh” was all I could say.

“I know,” he whispered.

We stood there for a minute, remembering. Though the memories were human and clouded, they took over my mind completely.

He smiled a wide, gleaming smile and then laughed. “The closet is through those double doors. I should warn you—it’s bigger than this room.”

Tiny stone cottage.

The movie cottage was a little more reasonable, being presumably made to actual blueprints to match the interior and exterior sizes and having a designer who wasn't completely off her nut. It was an exterior shell in Vancouver and soundstage sets in Louisiana.

quote:

I didn’t even glance at the doors. There was nothing else in the world but him again—his arms curled under me, his sweet breath on my face, his lips just inches from mine—and there was nothing that could distract me now, newborn vampire or not.

“We’re going to tell Alice that I ran right to the clothes,” I whispered, twisting my fingers into his hair and pulling my face closer to his. “We’re going to tell her I spent hours in there playing dress-up. We’re going to lie.”

Gasp! Something she's never done!

Wait, Alice should have seen this...

quote:

He caught up to my mood in an instant, or maybe he’d already been there, and he was just trying to let me fully appreciate my birthday present, like a gentleman. He pulled my face to his with a sudden fierceness, a low moan in his throat. The sound sent the electric current running through my body into a near-frenzy, like I couldn’t get close enough to him fast enough.

I heard the fabric tearing under our hands, and I was glad my clothes, at least, were already destroyed. It was too late for his. It felt almost rude to ignore the pretty white bed, but we just weren’t going to make it that far.

Oh my loving God, I was right! She didn't change or clean up after hunting! She's done every scene before this looking like she got attacked by a bear!

quote:

This second honeymoon wasn’t like our first.

Our time on the island had been the epitome of my human life. The very best of it. I’d been so ready to string along my human time, just to hold on to what I had with him for a little while longer. Because the physical part wasn’t going to be the same ever again.

I should have guessed, after a day like today, that it would be better.

I could really appreciate him now—could properly see every beautiful line of his perfect face, of his long, flawless body with my strong new eyes, every angle and every plane of him. I could taste his pure, vivid scent on my tongue and feel the unbelievable silkiness of his marble skin under my sensitive fingertips.

My skin was so sensitive under his hands, too.

He was all new, a different person as our bodies tangled gracefully into one on the sand-pale floor. No caution, no restraint. No fear—especially not that. We could love together—both active participants now. Finally equals.

Like our kisses before, every touch was more than I was used to. So much of himself he’d been holding back. Necessary at the time, but I couldn’t believe how much I’d been missing.

So vampires also have ultra-sex.

quote:

I tried to keep in mind that I was stronger than he was, but it was hard to focus on anything with sensations so intense, pulling my attention to a million different places in my body every second; if I hurt him, he didn’t complain.

A very, very small part of my head considered the interesting conundrum presented in this situation. I was never going to get tired, and neither was he. We didn’t have to catch our breath or rest or eat or even use the bathroom; we had no more mundane human needs. He had the most beautiful, perfect body in the world and I had him all to myself, and it didn’t feel like I was ever going to find a point where I would think, Now I’ve had enough for one day. I was always going to want more. And the day was never going to end. So, in such a situation, how did we ever stop?

It didn’t bother me at all that I had no answer.

Yes, that's vampire life. 24/7 loving and an occasional stop to play piano or eat a bear.

quote:

I sort of noticed when the sky began to lighten. The tiny ocean outside turned from black to gray, and a lark started to sing somewhere very close by—maybe she had a nest in the roses.

“Do you miss it?” I asked him when her song was done.

It wasn’t the first time we’d spoken, but we weren’t exactly keeping up a conversation, either.

“Miss what?” he murmured.

“All of it—the warmth, the soft skin, the tasty smell… I’m not losing anything at all, and I just wondered if it was a little bit sad for you that you were.”

He laughed, low and gentle. “It would be hard to find someone less sad than I am now. Impossible, I’d venture. Not many people get every single thing they want, plus all the things they didn’t think to ask for, in the same day.”

"Almost like this story was meaningless wish fulfillment all along!"

quote:

“Are you avoiding the question?”

He pressed his hand against my face. “You are warm,” he told me.

It was true, in a sense. To me, his hand was warm. It wasn’t the same as touching Jacob’s flame-hot skin, but it was more comfortable. More natural.

Then he pulled his fingers very slowly down my face, lightly tracing from my jaw to my throat and then all the way down to my waist. My eyes rolled back into my head a little.

“You are soft.”

moist

quote:

His fingers were like satin against my skin, so I could see what he meant.

“And as for the scent, well, I couldn’t say I missed that. Do you remember the scent of those hikers on our hunt?”

“I’ve been trying very hard not to.”

“Imagine kissing that.”

My throat ripped into flames like pulling the cord on a hot-air balloon.

Did she just have no editor by this point?

quote:

Oh.”

“Precisely. So the answer is no. I am purely full of joy, because I am missing nothing. No one has more than I do now.”

Except Bella, who as the prettiest princess at the ball must always receive the most.

quote:

I was about to inform him of the one exception to his statement, but my lips were suddenly very busy.

When the little pool turned pearl-colored with the sunrise, I thought of another question for him. “How long does this go on? I mean, Carlisle and Esme, Em and Rose, Alice and Jasper—they don’t spend all day locked in their rooms. They’re out in public, fully clothed, all the time. Does this… craving ever let up?” I twisted myself closer into him—quite an accomplishment, actually—to make it clear what I was talking about.

“That’s difficult to say. Everyone is different and, well, so far you’re the very most different of all. The average young vampire is too obsessed with thirst to notice much else for a while. That doesn’t seem to apply to you. With the average vampire, though, after that first year, other needs make themselves known. Neither thirst nor any other desire really ever fades. It’s simply a matter of learning to balance them, learning to prioritize and manage.…”

“How long?”

He smiled, wrinkling his nose a little. “Rosalie and Emmett were the worst. It took a solid decade before I could stand to be within a five-mile radius of them. Even Carlisle and Esme had a difficult time stomaching it. They kicked the happy couple out eventually. Esme built them a house, too. It was grander than this one, but then, Esme knows what Rose likes, and she knows what you like.”

Oh my God, I was right again! They do just loudly bone all the time!

quote:

“So, after ten years, then?” I was pretty sure that Rosalie and Emmett had nothing on us, but it might sound cocky if I went higher than a decade. “Everybody is normal again? Like they are now?”

Edward smiled again. “Well, I’m not sure what you mean by normal. You’ve seen my family going about life in a fairly human way, but you’ve been sleeping nights.” He winked at me. “There’s a tremendous amount of time left over when you don’t have to sleep. It makes balancing your… interests quite easy. There’s a reason why I’m the best musician in the family, why—besides Carlisle—I’ve read the most books, studied the most sciences, become fluent in the most languages.… Emmett would have you believe that I’m such a know-it-all because of the mind reading, but the truth is that I’ve just had a lot of free time.”

"I would argue that masturbation is the human animal’s most important adaptation. The very cornerstone of our technological civilization. Our hands evolved to grip tools, all right—including our own. You see, thinkers, inventors, and scientists are usually geeks, and geeks have a harder time getting laid than anyone. Without the built-in sexual release valve provided by masturbation, it’s doubtful that early humans would have ever mastered the secrets of fire or discovered the wheel. And you can bet that Galileo, Newton, and Einstein never would have made their discoveries if they hadn’t first been able to clear their heads by slapping the salami (or “knocking a few protons off the old hydrogen atom”). The same goes for Marie Curie. Before she discovered radium, you can be certain she first discovered the little man in the canoe."

quote:

We laughed together, and the motion of our laughter did interesting things to the way our bodies were connected, effectively ending that conversation.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 29, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cool

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I really hate you for that Cline quote, and I hate that I recognize it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

quote:

He pulled my face to his with a sudden fierceness, a low moan in his throat. The sound sent the electric current running through my body into a near-frenzy, like I couldn’t get close enough to him fast enough.

This purple prose is straight out of a generic Harlequin romance, so now we know what Meyer reads in her spare time.

Seriously, "sudden fierceness," "low moan in his throat," "electric current" are all romance cliches that have been copy/pasted into countless trashy books since mankind learned to write.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I was, and to an extent still am, an oddly sheltered Catholic. So I can honestly say this was probably one of my first romance novel sex scenes! In fact, I have very little experience with books that do anything but "fade to black."

Well, apart from St. Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman. That one was intentionally awkward and wracked with guilt though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm not trying to defend Jacob, he's a horrid abuser. But why are they constantly acting like he imprinted on the baby on purpose? It's involuntary, right? They all know that?

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, but it's still his fault for... existing, or something. And for shortening the terrible name Bella gave her daughter.

Edward posted:

There’s a tremendous amount of time left over when you don’t have to sleep. It makes balancing your… interests quite easy. There’s a reason why I’m the best musician in the family, why—besides Carlisle—I’ve read the most books, studied the most sciences, become fluent in the most languages.… Emmett would have you believe that I’m such a know-it-all because of the mind reading, but the truth is that I’ve just had a lot of free time.

Imagine Edward sitting alone in his room, wearing little reading glasses and going "Hm... Yes... The quarks are attracted to one another through the strong interaction, forming into groups of three that collectively cancel out their colour charge..." while loud rhythmic thumping and moans emanate from every wall, every night.

Can he turn his mind reading off? I don't remember if that was brought up, but he'd probably want to in that situation.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I think Meyer has clearly established that characters all retain absolute control over all powers and suffer 0 downside from all the sensory input except strictly linked to plot requirements or to emphasise how terrible Leah the not so feminine woman is.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I'm holding out hope that Meyer uses her lack of consistency to her advantage and introduces a mountain lion that had only been bitten and has now transformed into a killing machine rampaging its way across the Pacific Northwest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 25: Favor

quote:

It was only a little while later that Edward reminded me of my priorities.

It took him just one word.

“Renesmee…”

I sighed. She would be awake soon. It must be nearly seven in the morning. Would she be looking for me? Abruptly, something close to panic had my body freezing up. What would she look like today?

Going from moaning and groaning about having to take care of her own kid to panicking about things she already knows about in half a second.

quote:

Edward felt the total distraction of my stress. “It’s all right, love. Get dressed, and we’ll be back to the house in two seconds.”

I probably looked like a cartoon, the way I sprung up, then looked back at him—his diamond body faintly glinting in the diffuse light—then away to the west, where Renesmee waited, then back at him again, then back toward her, my head whipping from side to side a half dozen times in a second. Edward smiled, but didn’t laugh; he was a strong man.

Yeah, strong men don't laugh! They just grin and flex their muscles!

Also, lest you forget, the vampires do this cartoonish poo poo all the time. As soon as they're around people who know what they are, they're zipping around like Wile E. Coyote and silently teleporting in and out of rooms. How many times have we gotten a description of one of the Cullens just being there as soon as they're needed, or disappearing without a trace when you turn around?

quote:

“It’s all about balance, love. You’re so good at all of this, I don’t imagine it will take too long to put everything in perspective.”

Is Meyer just completely incapable of going 5 pages without having praise heaped on Bella?

quote:

“And we have all night, right?”

He smiled wider. “Do you think I could bear to let you get dressed now if that weren’t the case?”

That would have to be enough to get me through the daylight hours. I would balance this overwhelming, devastating desire so that I could be a good— It was hard to think the word. Though Renesmee was very real and vital in my life, it was still difficult to think of myself as a mother. I supposed anyone would feel the same, though, without nine months to get used to the idea. And with a child that changed by the hour.

But didn't you just dedicate your entire pregnancy to an obsession with motherhood? Now that you have all your awesome superpowers, suddenly you're confused and terrified by it?

quote:

The thought of Renesmee’s speeding life had me stressed-out again in an instant. I didn’t even pause at the ornately carved double doors to catch my breath before finding out what Alice had done. I just burst through, intent on wearing the first things I touched. I should have known it wouldn’t be that easy.

“Which ones are mine?” I hissed. As promised, the room was bigger than our bedroom. It might have been bigger than the rest of the house put together, but I’d have to pace it off to be positive. I had a brief mental flash of Alice trying to persuade Esme to ignore classic proportions and allow this monstrosity. I wondered how Alice had won that one.

Has Meyer never seen the definition of "tiny" before? Is this a loving TARDIS cottage? Is she going to casually mention stairs to the second floor at some point?

quote:

Everything was wrapped in garment bags, pristine and white, row after row after row.

“To the best of my knowledge, everything but this rack here”—he touched a bar that stretched along the half-wall to the left of the door—“is yours.”

“All of this?”

He shrugged.

“Alice,” we said together. He said her name like an explanation; I said it like an expletive.

I hope she's not expected to throw any of these out after one wear.

quote:

“Fine,” I muttered, and I pulled down the zipper on the closest bag. I growled under my breath when I saw the floorlength silk gown inside—baby pink.

Finding something normal to wear could take all day!

Except that you have super speed and it should really only take you a minute to go through everything?

quote:

“Let me help,” Edward offered. He sniffed carefully at the air and then followed some scent to the back of the long room. There was a built-in dresser there. He sniffed again, then opened a drawer. With a triumphant grin, he held out a pair of artfully faded blue jeans.

I flitted to his side. “How did you do that?”

“Denim has its own scent just like anything else. Now… stretch cotton?”

He followed his nose to a half-rack, unearthing a long-sleeved white t-shirt. He tossed it to me.

“Thanks,” I said fervently. I inhaled each fabric, memorizing the scent for future searches through this madhouse. I remembered silk and satin; I would avoid those.

What do they smell like? Who cares! They just smell like they do!

quote:

It only took him seconds to find his own clothes—if I hadn’t seen him undressed, I would have sworn there was nothing more beautiful than Edward in his khakis and pale beige pullover—and then he took my hand. We darted through the hidden garden, leaped lightly over the stone wall, and hit the forest at a dead sprint. I pulled my hand free so that we could race back. He beat me this time.

Thank God for the movies having non-Mormon costumers.

quote:

Renesmee was awake; she was sitting up on the floor with Rose and Emmett hovering over her, playing with a little pile of twisted silverware. She had a mangled spoon in her right hand. As soon as she spied me through the glass, she chucked the spoon on the floor—where it left a divot in the wood—and pointed in my direction imperiously. Her audience laughed; Alice, Jasper, Esme, and Carlisle were sitting on the couch, watching her as if she were the most engrossing film.

Oh great, Renesmee also has super strength as a toddler. That definitely won't turn out poorly.

quote:

I was through the door before their laughter had barely begun, bounding across the room and scooping her up from the floor in the same second. We smiled widely at each other.

She was different, but not so much. A little longer again, her proportions drifting from babyish to childlike. Her hair was longer by a quarter inch, the curls bouncing like springs with every movement. I’d let my imagination run wild on the trip back, and I’d imagined worse than this. Thanks to my overdone fears, these little changes were almost a relief. Even without Carlisle’s measurements, I was sure the changes were slower than yesterday.

Surprise! Their fear meant nothing! Everything is fine! No stakes!

quote:

Renesmee patted my cheek. I winced. She was hungry again.

“How long has she been up?” I asked as Edward disappeared through the kitchen doorway. I was sure he was on his way to get her breakfast, having seen what she’d just thought as clearly as I had. I wondered if he would ever have noticed her little quirk, if he’d been the only one to know her. To him, it probably would have seemed like hearing anyone.

“Just a few minutes,” Rose said. “We would have called you soon. She’s been asking for you—demanding might be a better description. Esme sacrificed her second-best silver service to keep the little monster entertained.” Rose smiled at Renesmee with so much gloating affection that the criticism was entirely weightless. “We didn’t want to… er, bother you.”

So instead of teaching Renesmee how to not be a destructive monster with her powers, they're just handing her poo poo to break and laughing about it!

quote:

Rosalie bit her lip and looked away, trying not to laugh. I could feel Emmett’s silent laughter behind me, sending vibrations through the foundations of the house.

They can hear all the way to the highway. There's no goddamn way they didn't hear every single second of Bella and Edward's extremely Mormon loving.

quote:

I kept my chin high. “We’ll get your room set up right away,” I said to Renesmee. “You’ll like the cottage. It’s magic.” I looked up at Esme. “Thank you, Esme. So much. It’s absolutely perfect.”

Before Esme could respond, Emmett was laughing again—it wasn’t silent this time.

“So it’s still standing?” he managed to get out between his snickers. “I would’ve thought you two had knocked it to rubble by now. What were you doing last night? Discussing the national debt?” He howled with laughter.

So how violent is Emmett and Rosalie's sex life?

quote:

I gritted my teeth and reminded myself of the negative consequences when I’d let my temper get away from me yesterday. Of course, Emmett wasn’t as breakable as Seth.…

"It's the newborn struggle!" I say as I remember fantasizing about ramming Edward's car or punching him over minor annoyances in the first book.

quote:

Thinking of Seth made me wonder. “Where’re the wolves today?” I glanced out the window wall, but there had been no sign of Leah on the way in.

“Jacob took off this morning pretty early,” Rosalie told me, a little frown creasing her forehead. “Seth followed him out.”

“What was he so upset about?” Edward asked as he came back into the room with Renesmee’s cup. There must have been more in Rosalie’s memory than I’d seen in her expression.

Without breathing, I handed Renesmee off to Rosalie. Super-self-control, maybe, but there was no way I was going to be able to feed her. Not yet.

"Fortunately I have an entire family willing to act as surrogate parents forever!"

quote:

“I don’t know—or care,” Rosalie grumbled, but she answered Edward’s question more fully. “He was watching Nessie sleep, his mouth hanging open like the moron he is, and then he just jumped to his feet without any kind of trigger—that I noticed, anyway—and stormed out. I was glad to be rid of him. The more time he spends here, the less chance there is that we’ll ever get the smell out.”

"He keeps refusing to even take a proper shower and just runs through a river from time to time. He came back with a fish once."

quote:

“Rose,” Esme chided gently. Rosalie flipped her hair.

“I suppose it doesn’t matter. We won’t be here that much longer.”

“I still say we should go straight to New Hampshire and get things set up,” Emmett said, obviously continuing an earlier conversation. “Bella’s already registered at Dartmouth. Doesn’t look like it will take her all that long to be able to handle school.” He turned to look at me with a teasing grin. “I’m sure you’ll ace your classes… apparently there’s nothing interesting for you to do at night besides study.”

Rosalie giggled.

So did they purposefully not listen in on the cottage despite it being well within their established powers, or are Bella and Edward really having the most dull and vanilla Mormon sex imaginable so that even Emmett can't hear it? I'm going with the second, since Emmett seems to have expected to have noticed.

Wait, was Emmett trying to listen to his adopted siblings gently caress on purpose? Why does this book keep making me ask these questions?

quote:

Do not lose your temper, do not lose your temper, I chanted to myself. And then I was proud of myself for keeping my head.

Now Bella is complimenting herself for how awesome she is!

quote:

So I was pretty surprised that Edward didn’t.

He growled—an abrupt, shocking rasp of sound—and the blackest fury rolled across his expression like storm clouds.

Before any of us could respond, Alice was on her feet.

“What is he doing? What is that dog doing that has erased my schedule for the entire day? I can’t see anything! No!” She shot me a tortured glance. “Look at you! You need me to show you how to use your closet.”

Alice is on the verge of stabbing someone for wearing white after Labor Day.

quote:

For one second I was grateful for whatever Jacob was up to.

And then Edward’s hands balled up into fists and he snarled, “He talked to Charlie. He thinks Charlie is following after him. Coming here. Today.”

Alice said a word that sounded very odd in her trilling, ladylike voice, and then she blurred into motion, streaking out the back door.

“He told Charlie?” I gasped. “But—doesn’t he understand? How could he do that?” Charlie couldn’t know about me! About vampires! That would put him on a hit list that even the Cullens couldn’t save him from. “No!”

That was your entire loving plan you idiot!

quote:

Edward spoke through his teeth. “Jacob’s on his way in now.”

It must have started raining farther east. Jacob came through the door shaking his wet hair like a dog, flipping droplets on the carpet and the couch where they made little round gray spots on the white. His teeth glinted against his dark lips; his eyes were bright and excited. He walked with jerky movements, like he was all hyped-up about destroying my father’s life.

Yeah, only Bella's allowed to be like that!

quote:

“Hey, guys,” he greeted us, grinning.

It was perfectly silent.

Leah and Seth slipped in behind him, in their human forms—for now; both of their hands were trembling with the tension in the room.

“Rose,” I said, holding my arms out. Wordlessly, Rosalie handed me Renesmee. I pressed her close to my motionless heart, holding her like a talisman against rash behavior. I would keep her in my arms until I was sure my decision to kill Jacob was based entirely on rational judgment rather than fury.

Remember how when she first got angry at Jacob, she handed Renesmee back to Rosalie? That's not the actions of someone who's "uncontrollable." She's perfectly aware of what she's doing and intentionally choosing whether or not to have a means of stopping herself.

quote:

She was very still, watching and listening. How much did she understand?

“Charlie’ll be here soon,” Jacob said to me casually. “Just a heads-up. I assume Alice is getting you sunglasses or something?”

“You assume way too much,” I spit through my teeth. “What. Have. You. Done?”

Jacob’s smile wavered, but he was still too wound up to answer seriously. “Blondie and Emmett woke me up this morning going on and on about you all moving cross-country. Like I could let you leave. Charlie was the biggest issue there, right? Well, problem solved.”

Remember back in New Moon where I said that the entire climax only happened because every person made the worst decisions possible at every turn? And Jacob answering Edward's phone call was the crux of it? I hope you enjoyed that kind of decision making!

quote:

“Do you even realize what you’ve done? The danger you’ve put him in?”

He snorted. “I didn’t put him in danger. Except from you. But you’ve got some kind of supernatural self-control, right? Not as good as mind reading, if you ask me. Much less exciting.”

Edward moved then, darting across the room to get in Jacob’s face. Though he was half a head shorter than Jacob, Jacob leaned away from his staggering anger as if Edward towered over him.

“That’s just a theory, mongrel,” he snarled. “You think we should test it out on Charlie? Did you consider the physical pain you’re putting Bella through, even if she can resist? Or the emotional pain if she doesn’t? I suppose what happens to Bella no longer concerns you!” He spit the last word.

Renesmee pressed her fingers anxiously to my cheek, anxiety coloring the replay in her head.

Edward’s words finally cut through Jacob’s strangely electric mood. His mouth dropped into a frown. “Bella will be in pain?”

“Like you’ve shoved a white-hot branding iron down her throat!”

I flinched, remembering the scent of pure human blood.

“I didn’t know that,” Jacob whispered.

Our heroes.

quote:

“Then perhaps you should have asked first,” Edward growled back through his teeth.

“You would have stopped me.”

“You should have been stopped—”

“This isn’t about me,” I interrupted. I stood very still, keeping my hold on Renesmee and sanity. “This is about Charlie, Jacob. How could you put him in danger this way? Do you realize it’s death or vampire life for him now, too?” My voice trembled with the tears my eyes could no longer shed.

Right, Charlie gets to become a vampire. Let's go!

quote:

Jacob was still troubled by Edward’s accusations, but mine didn’t seem to bother him. “Relax, Bella. I didn’t tell him anything you weren’t planning to tell him.”

“But he’s coming here!”

“Yeah, that’s the idea. Wasn’t the whole ‘let him make the wrong assumptions’ thing your plan? I think I provided a very nice red herring, if I do say so myself.”

So in Jacob's (extremely limited) defense, he is correct about this. The girl freaking out on him was planning on doing the exact same thing Jacob just did.

The problem is that if you go back to when Jacob first returns to the Cullen house to find Bella pregnant, Edward tells her about Bella's idea and Jacob calls it "insane." Somehow over the next week, he's decided it's such a great idea that he's going to get the ball rolling himself!

quote:

My fingers flexed away from Renesmee. I curled them back in securely. “Say it straight, Jacob. I don’t have the patience for this.”

“I didn’t tell him anything about you, Bella. Not really. I told him about me. Well, show is probably a better verb.”

“He phased in front of Charlie,” Edward hissed.

I whispered, “You what?”

....you loving idiot.

quote:

“He’s brave. Brave as you are. Didn’t pass out or throw up or anything. I gotta say, I was impressed. You should’ve seen his face when I started taking my clothes off, though. Priceless,” Jacob chortled.

The true Alpha of the Quileute, the descendant of Ephraim Black, who has ultimate authority by birthright and is praised by Seth and Leah as so much better of a leader than Sam.

And he has now stripped naked in front of the town police chief and revealed the existence of werewolves (something so secret that Paul attempted to murder Bella when she found out) just because.

quote:

“You absolute moron! You could have given him a heart attack!”

“Charlie’s fine. He’s tough. If you’d give this just a minute, you’ll see that I did you a favor here.”

“You have half of that, Jacob.” My voice was flat and steely. “You have thirty seconds to tell me every single word before I give Renesmee to Rosalie and rip your miserable head off. Seth won’t be able to stop me this time.”

“Jeez, Bells. You didn’t used to be so melodramatic. Is that a vampire thing?”

Does imprinting just turn you into the biggest douchebag on the planet?

quote:

“Twenty-six seconds.”

Jacob rolled his eyes and flopped into the nearest chair. His little pack moved to stand on his flanks, not at all relaxed the way he seemed to be; Leah’s eyes were on me, her teeth slightly bared.

“So I knocked on Charlie’s door this morning and asked him to come for a walk with me. He was confused, but when I told him it was about you and that you were back in town, he followed me out to the woods. I told him you weren’t sick anymore, and that things were a little weird, but good. He was about to take off to see you, but I told him I had to show him something first. And then I phased.” Jacob shrugged.

To be specific, he said "I have something to show you first" and then immediately ripped his clothes off in front of Charlie. At the age of 17.

quote:

My teeth felt like a vise was pushing them together. “I want every word, you monster.”

“Well, you said I only had thirty seconds—okay, okay.” My expression must have convinced him that I wasn’t in the mood for teasing. “Lemme see… I phased back and got dressed, and then after he started breathing again, I said something like, ‘Charlie, you don’t live in the world you thought you lived in. The good news is, nothing has changed—except that now you know. Life’ll go on the same way it always has. You can go right back to pretending that you don’t believe any of this.’

“It took him a minute to get his head together, and then he wanted to know what was really going on with you, with the whole rare-disease thing. I told him that you had been sick, but you were fine now—it was just that you’d had to change a little bit in the process of getting better. He wanted to know what I meant by ‘change,’ and I told him that you looked a lot more like Esme now than you looked like Renée.”

This unbelievably stupid dipshit.

quote:

Edward hissed while I stared in horror; this was headed in a dangerous direction.

“After a few minutes, he asked, real quietly, if you turned into an animal, too. And I said, ‘She wishes she was that cool!’” Jacob chuckled.

Rosalie made a noise of disgust.

This boy hasn't even got two brain cells to rub together.

quote:

“I started to tell him more about werewolves, but I didn’t even get the whole word out—Charlie cut me off and said he’d ‘rather not know the specifics.’ Then he asked if you’d known what you were getting yourself into when you married Edward, and I said, ‘Sure, she’s known all about this for years, since she first came to Forks.’ He didn’t like that very much. I let him rant till he got it out of his system. After he got calmed down, he just wanted two things. He wanted to see you, and I said it would be better if he gave me a head start to explain.”

I inhaled deeply. “What was the other thing he wanted?”

Jacob smiled. “You’ll like this. His main request is that he be told as little as possible about all of this. If it’s not absolutely essential for him to know something, then keep it to yourself. Need to know, only.”

I would have liked it much more if Charlie's reaction was to just grab his gun and start blasting.

quote:

I felt relief for the first time since Jacob had walked in. “I can handle that part.”

“Other than that, he’d just like to pretend things are normal.” Jacob’s smile turned smug; he must suspect that I would be starting to feel the first faint stirrings of gratitude about now.

“What did you tell him about Renesmee?” I struggled to maintain the razor edge in my voice, fighting the reluctant appreciation. It was premature. There was still so much wrong with this situation. Even if Jacob’s intervention had brought out a better reaction in Charlie than I’d ever hoped for…

“Oh yeah. So I told him that you and Edward had inherited a new little mouth to feed.” He glanced at Edward. “She’s your orphaned ward—like Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson.” Jacob snorted. “I didn’t think you’d mind me lying. That’s all part of the game, right?” Edward didn’t respond in any way, so Jacob went on. “Charlie was way past being shocked at this point, but he did ask if you were adopting her. ‘Like a daughter? Like I’m sort of a grandfather?’ were his exact words. I told him yes. ‘Congrats, Gramps,’ and all of that. He even smiled a little.”

Finally, Charlie gets a smidgen of happiness in his life.

quote:

The stinging returned to my eyes, but not out of fear or anguish this time. Charlie was smiling at the idea of being a grandpa? Charlie would meet Renesmee?

“But she’s changing so fast,” I whispered.

“I told him that she was more special than all of us put together,” Jacob said in a soft voice. He stood and walked right up to me, waving Leah and Seth off when they started to follow. Renesmee reached out to him, but I hugged her more tightly to me. “I told him, ‘Trust me, you don’t want to know about this. But if you can ignore all the strange parts, you’re going to be amazed. She’s the most wonderful person in the whole world.’ And then I told him that if he could deal with that, you all would stick around for a while and he would have a chance to get to know her. But that if it was too much for him, you would leave. He said as long as no one forced too much information on him, he’d deal.”

Jacob stared at me with half a smile, waiting.

“I’m not going to say thank you,” I told him. “You’re still putting Charlie at a huge risk.”

"The exact same risk I was gladly going to put him through myself."

quote:

“I am sorry about it hurting you. I didn’t know it was like that. Bella, things are different with us now, but you’ll always be my best friend, and I’ll always love you. But I’ll love you the right way now. There’s finally a balance. We both have people we can’t live without.”

"Both forced upon us by the cruel hand of God, manipulating us as if we were puppets."

quote:

He smiled his very most Jacob-y smile. “Still friends?”

Try as hard as I could to resist, I had to smile back. Just a tiny smile.

He held out his hand: an offer.

I took a deep breath and shifted Renesmee’s weight to one arm. I put my left hand in his—he didn’t even flinch at the feel of my cool skin. “If I don’t kill Charlie tonight, I’ll consider forgiving you for this.”

When you don’t kill Charlie tonight, you’ll owe me huge.”

I rolled my eyes. He held out his other hand toward Renesmee, a request this time. “Can I?”

“I’m actually holding her so that my hands aren’t free to kill you, Jacob. Maybe later.”

He sighed but didn’t push me on it. Wise of him.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

It'd be funny if Charlie had just run with the assumption that Bella was a really clumsy werewolf somewhere and immediately called Renee to demand to know if there's any family history he should know about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think if they let Charlie be a vampire, he would have destroyed the Volturi by himself.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just binged this entire thread in the past few days. Thank you for doing this - Twilight has been over of those things that I never got into, then heard it was just so bad that I lost all desire to even check it out for years.

And yep, it really truly is a weird combination of horrible horrible writing (about really messed up things) and actually interesting world building that you just wish the author would do something interesting with but she never does.

And I thought that Sharon Green's The Blending series and The Blending Enthroned sequel series were as bad as bad fantasy gets. It's got nothing on Twilight!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Alice raced back through the door then, her hands full and her expression promising violence.

“You, you, and you,” she snapped, glaring at the werewolves. “If you must stay, get over in the corner and commit to being there for a while. I need to see. Bella, you’d better give him the baby, too. You’ll need your arms free, anyway.”

Jacob grinned in triumph.

Undiluted fear ripped through my stomach as the enormity of what I was about to do hit me. I was going to gamble on my iffy self-control with my pure human father as the guinea pig. Edward’s earlier words crashed in my ears again.

Did you consider the physical pain you’re putting Bella through, even if she can resist? Or the emotional pain if she doesn’t?

Yeah, should have thought of that before you made this your plan and got mad that someone went through with it.

The way Bella and Jacob have swapped positions on this in just a week or so of time is one of those things an editor should have demanded a correction on. Jacob is upset about her plan to kinda sorta loophole Charlie into believing in vampires, never speaks about it again, then suddenly he's dropping trou in front of his impending father-in-law. Bella is still thinking about doing it until about 24 hours before Jacob does it for her, then suddenly she's screaming about how irresponsible the decision was.

quote:

I couldn’t imagine the pain of failure. My breathing turned to gasps.

Again, vampires can't do that. Hyperventilating is an autonomic response in creatures that can breathe. Vampires supposedly have had the breathing reflex disabled because they don't require it and need to do it consciously to inhale scents or imitate being human. She should be doing what every other vampire in the series does when shocked or upset: freeze into an absolute statue.

quote:

“Take her,” I whispered, sliding Renesmee into Jacob’s arms.

He nodded, concern wrinkling his forehead. He gestured to the others, and they all went to the far corner of the room. Seth and Jake slouched on the floor at once, but Leah shook her head and pursed her lips.

“Am I allowed to leave?” she griped. She looked uncomfortable in her human body, wearing the same dirty t-shirt and cotton shorts she’d worn to shriek at me the other day, her short hair sticking up in irregular tufts. Her hands were still shaking.

Because that's all Leah is to Bella: a crazy, filthy, shrieking harpy who needs to be put in her place.

quote:

“Of course,” Jake said.

“Stay east so you don’t cross Charlie’s path,” Alice added.

Leah didn’t look at Alice; she ducked out the back door and stomped into the bushes to phase.

Edward was back at my side, stroking my face. “You can do this. I know you can. I’ll help you; we all will.”

I met Edward’s eyes with panic screaming from my face. Was he strong enough to stop me if I made a wrong move?

“If I didn’t believe you could handle it, we’d disappear today. This very minute. But you can. And you’ll be happier if you can have Charlie in your life.”

Oh, that's fine. Everyone was making plans for how to move away and yelling at Jacob for endangering their plans just a minute ago but now that Bella is put on the spot it's "Actually we were wrong about everything, you really can have everything you want."

quote:

I tried to slow my breathing.

"As I should not have had to do, but my author forgot to do literally any research."

quote:

Alice held out her hand. There was a small white box on her palm. “These will irritate your eyes—they won’t hurt, but they’ll cloud your vision. It’s annoying. They also won’t match your old color, but it’s still better than bright red, right?”

She flipped the contact box into the air and I caught it.

“When did you—”

“Before you left on the honeymoon. I was prepared for several possible futures.”

"I never displayed any sign that I was acknowledging these possible futures beforehand despite being prepared for them, but..."

quote:

I nodded and opened the container. I’d never worn contacts before, but it couldn’t be that hard. I took the little brown quarter-sphere and pressed it, concave side in, to my eye.

I wear contacts. Yes, it is that hard the first time.

quote:

I blinked, and a film interrupted my sight. I could see through it, of course, but I could also see the texture of the thin screen. My eye kept focusing on the microscopic scratches and warped sections.

“I see what you mean,” I murmured as I stuck the other one in. I tried to not blink this time. My eye automatically wanted to dislodge the obstruction.

“How do I look?”

Edward smiled. “Gorgeous. Of course—”

“Yes, yes, she always looks gorgeous,” Alice finished his thought impatiently. “It’s better than red, but that’s the highest commendation I can give. Muddy brown. Your brown was much prettier. Keep in mind that those won’t last forever—the venom in your eyes will dissolve them in a few hours. So if Charlie stays longer than that, you’ll have to excuse yourself to replace them. Which is a good idea anyway, because humans need bathroom breaks.” She shook her head. “Esme, give her a few pointers on acting human while I stock the powder room with contacts.”

This is definitely one of those things Meyer thought up on the spot when someone asked a question about why the vampires never disguise their constantly changing eye color.

quote:

“How long do I have?”

“Charlie will be here in five minutes. Keep it simple.”

Esme nodded once and came to take my hand. “The main thing is not to sit too still or move too fast,” she told me.

“Sit down if he does,” Emmett interjected. “Humans don’t like to just stand there.”

“Let your eyes wander every thirty seconds or so,” Jasper added. “Humans don’t stare at one thing for too long.”

“Cross your legs for about five minutes, then switch to crossing your ankles for the next five,” Rosalie said.

I nodded once at each suggestion. I’d noticed them doing some of these things yesterday. I thought I could mimic their actions.

“And blink at least three times a minute,” Emmett said. He frowned, then darted to where the television remote sat on the end table. He flipped the TV on to a college football game and nodded to himself.

“Move your hands, too. Brush your hair back or pretend to scratch something,” Jasper said.

“I said Esme,” Alice complained as she returned. “You’ll overwhelm her.”

“No, I think I got it all,” I said. “Sit, look around, blink, fidget.”

“Right,” Esme approved. She hugged my shoulders.

"I know you keep displaying all of these traits anyway, but now you don't anymore for this chapter. Play along."

quote:

Jasper frowned. “You’ll be holding your breath as much as possible, but you need to move your shoulders a little to make it look like you’re breathing.”

She is very explicitly not holding her breath.

quote:

I inhaled once and then nodded again.

Edward hugged me on my free side. “You can do this,” he repeated, murmuring the encouragement in my ear.

"I know we were all saying you shouldn't yesterday, but ignore that."

quote:

“Two minutes,” Alice said. “Maybe you should start out already on the couch. You’ve been sick, after all. That way he won’t have to see you move right at first.”

Alice pulled me to the sofa. I tried to move slowly, to make my limbs more clumsy. She rolled her eyes, so I must not have been doing a good job.

“Jacob, I need Renesmee,” I said.

Jacob frowned, unmoving.

Alice shook her head. “Bella, that doesn’t help me see.”

“But I need her. She keeps me calm.” The edge of panic in my voice was unmistakable.

The baby you occasionally forget about and have done nothing to raise?

quote:

“Fine,” Alice groaned. “Hold her as still as you can and I’ll try to see around her.” She sighed wearily, like she’d been asked to work overtime on a holiday. Jacob sighed, too, but brought Renesmee to me, and then retreated quickly from Alice’s glare.

"Jacob, make sure not to try and express your undying loyalty to her and future marriage in front of Charlie."

quote:

Edward took a seat beside me and put his arms around Renesmee and me. He leaned forward and looked Renesmee very seriously in the eyes.

“Renesmee, someone special is coming to see you and your mother,” he said in a solemn voice, as if he expected her to understand every word. Did she? She looked back at him with clear, grave eyes. “But he’s not like us, or even like Jacob. We have to be very careful with him. You shouldn’t tell him things the way you tell us.”

Renesmee touched his face.

“Exactly,” he said. “And he’s going to make you thirsty. But you mustn’t bite him. He won’t heal like Jacob.”

"It's okay to hurt people if it won't cause permanent damage, is what I really mean."

quote:

“Can she understand you?” I whispered.

“She understands. You’ll be careful, won’t you, Renesmee? You’ll help us?”

Renesmee touched him again.

“No, I don’t care if you bite Jacob. That’s fine.”

Jacob chuckled.

Renesmee just sinks her loving teeth into Jacob's neck right in front of Charlie.

quote:

“Maybe you should leave, Jacob,” Edward said coldly, glaring in his direction. Edward hadn’t forgiven Jacob, because he knew that no matter what happened now, I was going to be hurting. But I’d take the burn happily if that were the worst thing I’d face tonight.

“I told Charlie I’d be here,” Jacob said. “He needs the moral support.”

“Moral support,” Edward scoffed. “As far as Charlie knows, you’re the most repulsive monster of us all.”

“Repulsive?” Jake protested, and then he laughed quietly to himself.

He did just see you naked this morning.

quote:

I heard the tires turn off the highway onto the quiet, damp earth of the Cullens’ drive, and my breathing spiked again. My heart ought to have been hammering. It made me anxious that my body didn’t have the right reactions.

Except for all the reactions you keep having.

quote:

I concentrated on the steady thrumming of Renesmee’s heart to calm myself. It worked pretty quickly.

“Well done, Bella,” Jasper whispered in approval.

Edward tightened his arm over my shoulders.

“You’re sure?” I asked him.

“Positive. You can do anything.” He smiled and kissed me.

ugughghgughuggughuhgugh

quote:

It wasn’t precisely a peck on the lips, and my wild vampiric reactions took me off guard yet again. Edward’s lips were like a shot of some addictive chemical straight into my nervous system. I was instantly craving more. It took all my concentration to remember the baby in my arms.

Bella you literally had your heart stop when Edward kissed you before. This is normal for you.

quote:

Jasper felt my mood change. “Er, Edward, you might not want to distract her like that right now. She needs to be able to focus.”

Edward pulled away. “Oops,” he said.

I laughed. That had been my line from the very beginning, from the very first kiss.

What, "Oops"? Is that how you're defining the entire series?

quote:

“Later,” I said, and anticipation curled my stomach into a ball.

“Focus, Bella,” Jasper urged.

“Right.” I pushed the trembly feelings away. Charlie, that was the main thing now. Keep Charlie safe today. We would have all night.…

“Bella.”

“Sorry, Jasper.” Emmett laughed.

Bella is beaming horny directly into Jasper's brain 24/7.

quote:

The sound of Charlie’s cruiser got closer and closer. The second of levity passed, and everyone was still. I crossed my legs and practiced my blinks.

The car pulled in front of the house and idled for a few seconds. I wondered if Charlie was as nervous as I was. Then the engine cut off, and a door slammed. Three steps across the grass, and then eight echoing thuds against the wooden stairs. Four more echoing footsteps across the porch. Then silence. Charlie took two deep breaths.

Knock, knock, knock.

I inhaled for what might be the last time. Renesmee nestled deeper into my arms, hiding her face in my hair.

Carlisle answered the door. His stressed expression changed to one of welcome, like switching the channel on the TV.

Ah, I see why Bella feels more at home with him than humans!

quote:

“Hello, Charlie,” he said, looking appropriately abashed. After all, we were supposed to be in Atlanta at the Center for Disease Control. Charlie knew he’d been lied to.

“Carlisle,” Charlie greeted him stiffly. “Where’s Bella?”

“Right here, Dad.”

Ugh! My voice was so wrong. Plus, I’d used up some of my air supply. I gulped in a quick refill, glad that Charlie’s scent had not saturated the room yet.

So realistically, vampires shouldn't be incredibly stiff like a walking corpse and needing to breathe to look human. They still need air to do everything a normal human needs air for (including speaking and smelling) so they should be constantly inhaling at an odd rate.

quote:

Charlie’s blank expression told me how off my voice was. His eyes zeroed in on me and widened.

I read the emotions as they scrolled across his face.

Shock. Disbelief. Pain. Loss. Fear. Anger. Suspicion. More pain.

I bit my lip. It felt funny. My new teeth were sharper against my granite skin than my human teeth had been against my soft human lips.

So if vampire teeth are some of the only things that can tear apart vampires, can vampires accidentally bite off their lips or tongues?

quote:

“Is that you, Bella?” he whispered.

“Yep.” I winced at my wind-chime voice. “Hi, Dad.”

He took a deep breath to steady himself.

“Hey, Charlie,” Jacob greeted him from the corner. “How’re things?”

Charlie glowered at Jacob once, shuddered at a memory, and then stared at me again.

Jacob you idiot.

quote:

Slowly, Charlie walked across the room until he was a few feet away from me. He darted an accusing glare at Edward, and then his eyes flickered back to me. The warmth of his body heat beat against me with each pulse of his heart.

“Bella?” he asked again.

I spoke in a lower voice, trying to keep the ring out of it. “It’s really me.”

His jaw locked.

“I’m sorry, Dad,” I said.

“Are you okay?” he demanded.

“Really and truly great,” I promised. “Healthy as a horse.”

That was it for my oxygen.

Begin imitating a fish gasping on land!

quote:

“Jake told me this was… necessary. That you were dying.” He said the words like he didn’t believe them one bit.

I steeled myself, focused on Renesmee’s warm weight, leaned into Edward for support, and took a deep breath.

Charlie’s scent was a fistful of flames, punching straight down my throat. But it was so much more than pain. It was a hot stabbing of desire, too. Charlie smelled more delicious than anything I’d ever imagined. As appealing as the anonymous hikers had been on the hunt, Charlie was doubly tempting. And he was just a few feet away, leaking mouthwatering heat and moisture into the dry air.

Charlie is canonically delicious.

quote:

But I wasn’t hunting now. And this was my father.

Edward squeezed my shoulders sympathetically, and Jacob shot an apologetic glance at me across the room.

I tried to collect myself and ignore the pain and longing of the thirst. Charlie was waiting for my answer.

“Jacob was telling you the truth.”

“That makes one of you,” Charlie growled.

I hoped Charlie could see past the changes in my new face to read the remorse there.

Something you've never displayed toward him?

quote:

Under my hair, Renesmee sniffed as Charlie’s scent registered with her, too. I tightened my grip on her.

Charlie saw my anxious glance down and followed it. “Oh,” he said, and all the anger fell off his face, leaving only shock behind. “This is her. The orphan Jacob said you’re adopting.”

"Jacob kept salivating when describing her. It was disturbing."

quote:

“My niece,” Edward lied smoothly. He must have decided that the resemblance between Renesmee and him was too pronounced to be ignored. Best to claim they were related from the beginning.

“I thought you’d lost your family,” Charlie said, accusation returning to his voice.

“I lost my parents. My older brother was adopted, like me. I never saw him after that. But the courts located me when he and his wife died in a car accident, leaving their only child without any other family.”

Edward was so good at this. His voice was even, with just the right amount of innocence. I needed practice so that I could do that.

Yeah, you've never gotten away with lying! Ever!

quote:

Renesmee peeked out from under my hair, sniffing again. She glanced shyly at Charlie from under her long lashes, then hid again.

“She’s… she’s, well, she’s a beauty.”

“Yes,” Edward agreed.

“Kind of a big responsibility, though. You two are just getting started.”

“What else could we do?” Edward brushed his fingers lightly over her cheek. I saw him touch her lips for just a moment—a reminder. “Would you have refused her?”

Okay, dial back the drama buddy.

quote:

“Hmph. Well.” He shook his head absently. “Jake says you call her Nessie?”

“No, we don’t,” I said, my voice too sharp and piercing. “Her name is Renesmee.”

Charlie refocused on me. “How do you feel about this? Maybe Carlisle and Esme could—”

“She’s mine,” I interrupted. “I want her.”

Bella immediately decapitates Charlie with one swipe.

quote:

Charlie frowned. “You gonna make me a grandpa so young?”

Edward smiled. “Carlisle is a grandfather, too.”

Charlie shot an incredulous glance at Carlisle, still standing by the front door; he looked like Zeus’s younger, better-looking brother.

Charlie snorted and then laughed. “I guess that does sort of make me feel better.” His eyes strayed back to Renesmee. “She sure is something to look at.” His warm breath blew lightly across the space between us.

Not even gonna question why your daughter, who was recently extremely anti-marriage and never expressed any interest in having kids, is obsessively and violently protective of her "adopted" orphan that she calls "mine"? Whose stupid name is obviously a combination of your ex-wife's and Esme's names?

quote:

Renesmee leaned toward the smell, shaking off my hair and looking him full in the face for the first time. Charlie gasped.

I knew what he was seeing. My eyes—his eyes—copied exactly into her perfect face.

Charlie started hyperventilating. His lips trembled, and I could read the numbers he mouthed. He was counting backward, trying to fit nine months into one. Trying to put it together but not able to force the evidence right in front of him to make any sense.

Ah, great. Their cover story lasted all of 20 seconds.

quote:

Jacob got up and came over to pat Charlie on the back. He leaned in to whisper something in Charlie’s ear; only Charlie didn’t know we could all hear.

“Need to know, Charlie. It’s okay. I promise.”

It's extremely not okay!

quote:

Charlie swallowed and nodded. And then his eyes blazed as he took a step closer to Edward with his fists tightly clenched.

“I don’t want to know everything, but I’m done with the lies!”

“I’m sorry,” Edward said calmly, “but you need to know the public story more than you need to know the truth. If you’re going to be part of this secret, the public story is the one that counts. It’s to protect Bella and Renesmee as well as the rest of us. Can you go along with the lies for them?”

Why don't you just tell him "If we tell you the truth, much more powerful people will kill you"? He doesn't need to know everything, but he sure as hell needs to know why he can't. How would Bella even realistically get to "keep Charlie in her life" in this state anyway?

quote:

The room was full of statues. I crossed my ankles.

Charlie huffed once and then turned his glare on me. “You might’ve given me some warning, kid.”

“Would it really have made this any easier?”

I feel like Charlie is way too accepting of everything that's going on here. It feels like Meyer wanted Bella to have her nice final moment with her dad but still had no conceivable way to keep him involved in the plot, so she just had Charlie suddenly get a partial reveal and immediately be cool with it and leave because Renesmee is just too perfect to question.

quote:

He frowned, and then he knelt on the floor in front of me. I could see the movement of the blood in his neck under his skin. I could feel the warm vibration of it.

So could Renesmee. She smiled and reached one pink palm out to him. I held her back. She pushed her other hand against my neck, thirst, curiosity, and Charlie’s face in her thoughts. There was a subtle edge to the message that made me think that she’d understood Edward’s words perfectly; she acknowledged thirst, but overrode it in the same thought.

So Renesmee also has the perfect control Bella has, and her constant biting of Jacob is completely intentional because she likes to hurt him and nobody is telling her no.

quote:

“Whoa,” Charlie gasped, his eyes on her perfect teeth. “How old is she?”

“Um…” “Three months,” Edward said, and then added slowly, “rather, she’s the size of a three-month-old, more or less. She’s younger in some ways, more mature in others.”

She has long curly hair and all her teeth, but she looks 3 months old?

quote:

Very deliberately, Renesmee waved at him.

Charlie blinked spastically.

Jacob elbowed him. “Told you she was special, didn’t I?”

Charlie cringed away from the contact.

“Oh, c’mon, Charlie,” Jacob groaned. “I’m the same person I’ve always been. Just pretend this afternoon didn’t happen.”

I see Jacob is still using the same excuse as always for sexual harassment!

quote:

The reminder made Charlie’s lips go white, but he nodded once. “Just what is your part in all this, Jake?” he asked. “How much does Billy know? Why are you here?” He looked at Jacob’s face, which was glowing as he stared at Renesmee.

“Well, I could tell you all about it—Billy knows absolutely everything—but it involves a lot of stuff about werewo—”

“Ungh!” Charlie protested, covering his ears. “Never mind.”

Why would you ask questions if you're going to react like the answers are a brown note?

quote:

Jacob grinned. “Everything’s going to be great, Charlie. Just try to not believe anything you see.”

My dad mumbled something unintelligible.

“Woo!” Emmett suddenly boomed in his deep bass. “Go Gators!”

Jacob and Charlie jumped. The rest of us froze.

Charlie recovered, then looked at Emmett over his shoulder. “Florida winning?”

God, I hope not.

quote:

“Just scored the first touchdown,” Emmett confirmed. He shot a look in my direction, wagging his eyebrows like a villain in vaudeville. “’Bout time somebody scored around here.”

I fought back a hiss. In front of Charlie? That was over the line.

No, please, demonstrate how becoming a vampire instantly saps you of your humanity by hissing like a cat.

quote:

But Charlie was beyond noticing innuendos. He took yet another deep breath, sucking the air in like he was trying to pull it down to his toes. I envied him. He lurched to his feet, stepped around Jacob, and half-fell into an open chair. “Well,” he sighed, “I guess we should see if they can hold on to the lead.”

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
this is beyond awful now

How is this the last book? It's worse than the first one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Up Circle posted:

this is beyond awful now

How is this the last book? It's worse than the first one.

If the theories are correct and she kept as much as possible from Forever Dawn, it's possible that we're seeing quite a bit of her original writing from 2004-2005 in here.

Also, I have a challenge for Grammarchist! As a newcomer to the series and not knowing anything about where this is going, consider the following facts:

1. Bella has become a vampire and gotten her perfect superpowered baby and loving family. The Volturi are no longer a threat, as they just need to report that Bella has been turned as promised.

2. Charlie has had the truth about the supernatural revealed to him and has immediately decided he's okay with it and never needs to be told anything that puts him in danger.

3. Bella has supernatural resistance to blood thirst, so she's not at risk around humans.

4. The conflict between the werewolves and Cullens has been permanently ended.

5. The only villainous vampire coven known is completely destroyed.

At 65% of the way through the book, where is there any place for conflict to come?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

This isn’t the last book. Meyer is still writing, and we will be getting more of this world of vampires presently. She even retold twilight with the genders reversed.

I do wonder why she doesn’t just write a book about some random teenage vampires in Australia or Brazil or somewhere other than the Cullen orbit. The world is big, and there are teenage girls everywhere.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I have a challenge for Grammarchist! As a newcomer to the series and not knowing anything about where this is going, consider the following facts:

At 65% of the way through the book, where is there any place for conflict to come?

I’ll play too since I’m also new. I predict Meyer will introduce a completely new threat, either another hostile vampire group, a new faction of werewolves, or a new category of X-Files monster of the week that we’re just now learning about but the Cullens have known about for years and have Bella and/or wonder baby dispatch it almost singlehandedly all in the space of two or three chapters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I missed something in the first half of this chapter. When Jacob is explaining what he told Charlie, he says he did it in reaction to finding out the Cullens were moving away because "like I could let you leave."

Remember how Bella was theorizing about what effects Sam or other imprinted werewolves would suffer if they were forcibly separated from their imprintees? Turns out this is the answer. Jacob found out that his child bride would be having to move away for a while and immediately blew the lid off the supernatural to the town police chief to try and force them to stay in Forks.

And somehow nobody is even discussing this being an issue.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Maybe Charlie talks to Renee in such a way as to pique her interest, forcing another, more volatile meeting with family? Maybe Renee, who is incredibly immature and terrified of aging, puts two and two together and DEMANDS to be made a vampire as well? Maybe we see a lot more of Bella's obnoxious behavior reflected in her mother, and force Bella to recognize her own obsession with everlasting life?

Maybe Renee starts running her mouth, or threatening to. The Volturi recognize the threat and dispatch an agent to kill Renee and remove the issue. However, Charlie's lingering feelings for Renee lead him to intercede on her behalf, culminating in an unlikely victory over the unsuspecting vampire by setting it on fire with a Molotov cocktail.

The Volturi now must not only avenge their own, but are no longer willing to tolerate this hotbed of lycanthropy, humans "in the know" and vegetarian vampires.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Midjack posted:

I’ll play too since I’m also new.

Me too!!

I'm guessing that Tanya's coven and the immortal children come back into play since that foreshadowing hasn't paid off yet, including the stuff Bella was dreaming.

Tanya meets Renesmee and gets massive maternal jealousies so she follows in her vampire mother's footsteps despite how that went down with the Volturi previously and turns a random boy who looks exactly like the kid Bella was dreaming about. She schemes to set this kid up with Edward and Bella's kid and we get an entire idiotic chapter of vampire baby playdates.

Renesmee, being truly her mother's daughter, gets into a love triangle before she's even able to speak. Jacob cannot deal with history repeating so soon with his infant future bride and tries to murder Tanya's son.

The Volturi descend upon them all in this instance and somehow there's a massive all out five way war in Forks between the two covens, the two packs and the Volturi.

In the midst of all this chaos, the two immortal children get distracted as kids do and indiscriminately eat murder their way across the continent and Renesmee has hit puberty by 90% of the way through the book. This set of horrifying events has absolutely no consequences because the two children are perfect.

This is all resolved by Bella the super Mary Sue turning out to have a mental gift that appears out of nowhere that can somehow combine Edward and Renesmee's gifts to mentally brainwash everybody, including the Volturi.

Thanks to that, the series ends with everyone other than the Cullens thinking that it was all a dream and Alice gets to throw another wedding for Jacob and Renesmee who is now exactly the same age as her mother. Epilogue is Renesmee giving birth to a human-vampire-werewolf child, fulfilling Alice's never before mentioned future vision that a chosen one will come to unite the three species.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I actually like the idea that Renee finds out about vampires and demands to be turned so that she can avoid ageing in the most shallow and petty plot development ever. I'd imagine meyer frustratingly wouldn't recognise any parallels to Bella and every character would treat it as totally different.

Also for my guess as to the rest of the plot somehow word of Nessie gets back to the Volturi. They assume someone is making vampire children again and descend upon the Cullens. They meet Nessie and she projects her thoughts into the boss guy's head. The Volturi immediately realise that actually the half human, half vampire mutant baby is totally cool and good and all promise to stop eating humans. For no reason Bella is hailed as vampire Jesus for her incredible self control and for ushering in a new age. Being written by Meyer, this takes about as long as everything we've read and there's a ton of tension arising from people disagreeing over how to deal with the situation and people making incorrect assumptions about what or who is coming. Which all gets resolved by things just happening with no pay off for the earlier conflict.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

quote:

.. Keep in mind that those won’t last forever—the venom in your eyes will dissolve them in a few hours. So if Charlie stays longer than that, you’ll have to excuse yourself to replace them. Which is a good idea anyway, because humans need bathroom breaks.”

I'll take 'vampires don't poo poo' over Rowling's incontinent wizards, good choice Meyer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of you actually got it exactly right but I won't say who. Are you sure you didn't cheat?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

One of you actually got it exactly right but I won't say who. Are you sure you didn't cheat?

I dunno about exactly right but a couple people got pretty close if you combine their answers.

Edit: Just know the rest of this book becomes a macrocosm of many of the little problems with the series as a whole. Every new character introduced is more interesting than Bella. Bella doesn't get to be the big hero, someone else resolves the conflict overall even if she was pretty essential, because of her special snowflakeness which still isnt good enough for her to be the actual hero.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 7, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 26: Shiny

quote:

"I don't know how much we should tell Renée about this," Charlie said, hesitating with one foot out the door. He stretched, and then his stomach growled.

Literally nothing. She is the worst person in the goddamn world to tell anything about this.

Except one problem: Bella also called her mother while pretending to be sick. So what happens now? Charlie gets to kinda sorta know that she's one of the immortals, but how do you handle the other parent? Do you just go no-contact and let her think that you've abandoned her? Do you work with Charlie to fake your death for her? Do you try to let her in on it? This is possibly another Forever Dawn leftover; at the end of Twilight, Charlie had gotten virtually all of the characterization and page time while Renee is left to make one appearance at the beginning and end of the book. Meyer clearly didn't care very much about her when initially writing this.

quote:

I nodded. “I know. I don’t want to freak her out. Better to protect her. This stuff isn’t for the fainthearted.”

His lips twisted up to the side ruefully. “I would have tried to protect you, too, if I’d known how. But I guess you’ve never fit into the fainthearted category, have you?”

.....yes she is! How many goddamn times has she fainted in all the books? This girl was passing out from a tiny cut on someone's finger at one point! She just suppressed it long enough to get vampire dick!

quote:

I smiled back, pulling a blazing breath in through my teeth.

Charlie patted his stomach absently. “I’ll think of something. We’ve got time to discuss this, right?”

“Right,” I promised him.

It had been a long day in some ways, and so short in others. Charlie was late for dinner—Sue Clearwater was cooking for him and Billy. That was going to be an awkward evening, but at least he’d be eating real food; I was glad someone was trying to keep him from starving due to his lack of cooking ability.

You were just going to leave him to fend for himself without teaching him, weren't you?

quote:

All day the tension had made the minutes pass slowly; Charlie had never relaxed the stiff set of his shoulders. But he’d been in no hurry to leave, either. He’d watched two whole games—thankfully so absorbed in his thoughts that he was totally oblivious to Emmett’s suggestive jokes that got more pointed and less football-related with each aside—and the after-game commentaries, and then the news, not moving until Seth had reminded him of the time.

Emmett please.

quote:

“You gonna stand Billy and my mom up, Charlie? C’mon. Bella and Nessie’ll be here tomorrow. Let’s get some grub, eh?”

It had been clear in Charlie’s eyes that he hadn’t trusted Seth’s assessment, but he’d let Seth lead the way out. The doubt was still there as he paused now. The clouds were thinning, the rain gone. The sun might even make an appearance just in time to set.

“Jake says you guys were going to take off on me,” he muttered to me now.

“I didn’t want to do that if there was any way at all around it. That’s why we’re still here.”

"We'll just pretend I didn't freak out when someone actually implemented my plan without me.

quote:

“He said you could stay for a while, but only if I’m tough enough, and if I can keep my mouth shut.”

“Yes… but I can’t promise that we’ll never leave, Dad. It’s pretty complicated.…”

“Need to know,” he reminded me.

“Right.”

“You’ll visit, though, if you have to go?”

“I promise, Dad. Now that you know just enough, I think this can work. I’ll keep as close as you want.”

"Unless the Volturi figure out that a human knows, in which case you're going to be eaten. Good luck!"

quote:

He chewed on his lip for half a second, then leaned slowly toward me with his arms cautiously extended. I shifted Renesmee—napping now—to my left arm, locked my teeth, held my breath, and wrapped my right arm very lightly around his warm, soft waist.

“Keep real close, Bells,” he mumbled. “Real close.”

“Love you, Dad,” I whispered through my teeth.

He shivered and pulled away. I dropped my arm.

“Love you, too, kid. Whatever else has changed, that hasn’t.” He touched one finger to Renesmee’s pink cheek. “She sure looks a lot like you.”

I kept my expression casual, though I felt anything but. “More like Edward, I think.” I hesitated, and then added, “She has your curls.”

I don't think Meyer is incredibly familiar with genetics. I've never seen a kid who looks like an exact half and half split between the parents.

quote:

Charlie started, then snorted. “Huh. Guess she does. Huh. Grandpa.” He shook his head doubtfully. “Do I ever get to hold her?”

I blinked in shock and then composed myself. After considering for a half second and judging Renesmee’s appearance—she looked completely out—I decided that I might as well push my luck to the limit, since things were going so well today.…

Bella you idiot! Your baby's a sociopath who can rip limbs off!

quote:

“Here,” I said, holding her out to him. He automatically made an awkward cradle with his arms, and I tucked Renesmee into it. His skin wasn’t quite as hot as hers, but it made my throat tickle to feel the warmth flowing under the thin membrane. Where my white skin brushed him it left goose bumps. I wasn’t sure if this was a reaction to my new temperature or totally psychological.

Charlie grunted quietly as he felt her weight. “She’s… sturdy.”

I frowned. She felt feather-light to me. Maybe my measure was off.

“Sturdy is good,” Charlie said, seeing my expression. Then he muttered to himself, “She’ll need to be tough, surrounded by all this craziness.” He bounced his arms gently, swaying a little from side to side. “Prettiest baby I ever saw, including you, kid. Sorry, but it’s true.”

“I know it is.”

“Pretty baby,” he said again, but it was closer to a coo this time.

I could see it in his face—I could watch it growing there. Charlie was just as helpless against her magic as the rest of us. Two seconds in his arms, and already she owned him.

That is incredibly creepy.

quote:

“Can I come back tomorrow?”

“Sure, Dad. Of course. We’ll be here.”

“You’d better be,” he said sternly, but his face was soft, still gazing at Renesmee. “See you tomorrow, Nessie.”

“Not you, too!”

“Huh?”

“Her name is Renesmee. Like Renée and Esme, put together. No variations.” I struggled to calm myself without the deep breath this time. “Do you want to hear her middle name?”

“Sure.”

“Carlie. With a C. Like Carlisle and Charlie put together.”

gently caress you.

quote:

Charlie’s eye-creasing grin lit up his face, taking me off guard. “Thanks, Bells.”

“Thank you, Dad. So much has changed so quickly. My head hasn’t stopped spinning. If I didn’t have you now, I don’t know how I’d keep my grip on—on reality.” I’d been about to say my grip on who I was. That was probably more than he needed.

Charlie’s stomach growled.

“Go eat, Dad. We will be here.” I remembered how it felt, that first uncomfortable immersion in fantasy—the sensation that everything would disappear in the light of the rising sun.

Actually, the first feeling you had was to blast Linkin Park in your ears as loud as possible to try and sleep through the stress of learning that Edward was a vampire.

quote:

Charlie nodded and then reluctantly returned Renesmee to me. He glanced past me into the house; his eyes were a little wild for a minute as he stared around the big bright room. Everyone was still there, besides Jacob, who I could hear raiding the refrigerator in the kitchen; Alice was lounging on the bottom step of the staircase with Jasper’s head in her lap; Carlisle had his head bent over a fat book in his lap; Esme was humming to herself, sketching on a notepad, while Rosalie and Emmett laid out the foundation for a monumental house of cards under the stairs; Edward had drifted to his piano and was playing very softly to himself. There was no evidence that the day was coming to a close, that it might be time to eat or shift activities in preparation for evening. Something intangible had changed in the atmosphere. The Cullens weren’t trying as hard as they usually did—the human charade had slipped ever so slightly, enough for Charlie to feel the difference.

But...everything they're doing is normal.

quote:

He shuddered, shook his head, and sighed. “See you tomorrow, Bella.” He frowned and then added, “I mean, it’s not like you don’t look… good. I’ll get used to it.”

“Thanks, Dad.”

Charlie nodded and walked thoughtfully toward his car. I watched him drive away; it wasn’t until I heard his tires hit the freeway that I realized I’d done it. I’d actually made it through the whole day without hurting Charlie. All by myself. I must have a superpower!

It seemed too good to be true. Could I really have both my new family and some of my old as well? And I’d thought that yesterday had been perfect.

This book is just handing her everything she wants instead of giving her even the tiniest amount of difficulty or stress. It's like it was written by someone incredibly bitter about the way her life went!

quote:

“Wow,” I whispered. I blinked and felt the third set of contact lenses disintegrate.

The sound of the piano cut off, and Edward’s arms were around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder.

“You took the word right out of my mouth.”

“Edward, I did it!”

“You did. You were unbelievable. All that worrying over being a newborn, and then you skip it altogether.” He laughed quietly.

Stop bragging about being a lovely writer!

quote:

“I’m not even sure she’s really a vampire, let alone a newborn,” Emmett called from under the stairs. “She’s too tame.”

All the embarrassing comments he’d made in front of my father sounded in my ears again, and it was probably a good thing I was holding Renesmee. Unable to help my reaction entirely, I snarled under my breath.

Because you've got a bunch of pent-up aggression and want to finally be able to express your strength by hurting people who make you mad?

quote:

“Oooo, scary,” Emmett laughed.

I hissed, and Renesmee stirred in my arms. She blinked a few times, then looked around, her expression confused. She sniffed, then reached for my face.

It's like Meyer can't help but have a stereotypical view of vampires, so she just throws in "Uhhh when you become a vampire you get all the instincts to hiss and snarl like an animal for no reason!"

quote:

“Charlie will be back tomorrow,” I assured her.

“Excellent,” Emmett said. Rosalie laughed with him this time.

“Not brilliant, Emmett,” Edward said scornfully, holding out his hands to take Renesmee from me. He winked when I hesitated, and so, a little confused, I gave her to him.

“What do you mean?” Emmett demanded.

“It’s a little dense, don’t you think, to antagonize the strongest vampire in the house?”

Emmett threw his head back and snorted. “Please!”

“Bella,” Edward murmured to me while Emmett listened closely, “do you remember a few months ago, I asked you to do me a favor once you were immortal?”

That rang a dim bell. I sifted through the blurry human conversations. After a moment, I remembered and I gasped, “Oh!”

Vampires have trouble remembering their human lives, except when the plot requires them to. Then they remember everything after a few seconds.

Also, remember when Jasper gave a long speech to all of the Cullens in Eclipse about how newborns are stronger than them and they will never win a fight based on brute strength? That's another Forever Dawn slip-up where Meyer just forgot or ignored her past plots when hauling this old draft out.

quote:

Alice trilled a long, pealing laugh. Jacob poked his head around the corner, his mouth stuffed with food.

“What?” Emmett growled.

“Really?” I asked Edward.

“Trust me,” he said.

I took a deep breath. “Emmett, how do you feel about a little bet?”

He was on his feet at once. “Awesome. Bring it.”

I bit my lip for a second. He was just so huge.

“Unless you’re too afraid…?” Emmett suggested.

I squared my shoulders. “You. Me. Arm-wrestling. Dining room table. Now.”

Emmett’s grin stretched across his face.

“Er, Bella,” Alice said quickly, “I think Esme is fairly fond of that table. It’s an antique.”

“Thanks,” Esme mouthed at her.

Esme, why didn't you say something about your table being broken?

quote:

“No problem,” Emmett said with a gleaming smile. “Right this way, Bella.”

I followed him out the back, toward the garage; I could hear all the others trailing behind. There was a largish granite boulder standing up out of a tumble of rocks near the river, obviously Emmett’s goal. Though the big rock was a little rounded and irregular, it would do the job.

Emmett placed his elbow on the rock and waved me forward.

I was nervous again as I watched the thick muscles in Emmett’s arm roll, but I kept my face smooth. Edward had promised I would be stronger than anyone for a while. He seemed very confident about this, and I felt strong. That strong? I wondered, looking at Emmett’s biceps. I wasn’t even two days old, though, and that ought to count for something. Unless nothing was normal about me. Maybe I wasn’t as strong as a normal newborn. Maybe that’s why control was so easy for me.

Nah, that would make this book actually interesting and different.

quote:

I tried to look unconcerned as I set my elbow against the stone.

“Okay, Emmett. I win, and you cannot say one more word about my sex life to anyone, not even Rose. No allusions, no innuendos—no nothing.”

His eyes narrowed. “Deal. I win, and it’s going to get a lot worse.”

He heard my breath stop and grinned evilly. There was no hint of bluff in his eyes.

Remember the days when Emmett seemed nice and fun? And now he's just a non-stop sexual harasser but Stephenie Meyer somehow thinks that's endearing?

quote:

“You gonna back down so easy, little sister?” Emmett taunted. “Not much wild about you, is there? I bet that cottage doesn’t have a scratch.” He laughed. “Did Edward tell you how many houses Rose and I smashed?”

But you're rich, so you can do whatever you want?

quote:

I gritted my teeth and grabbed his big hand. “One, two—”

“Three,” he grunted, and shoved against my hand.

Nothing happened.

Oh, I could feel the force he was exerting. My new mind seemed pretty good at all kinds of calculations, and so I could tell that if he wasn’t meeting any resistance, his hand would have pounded right through the rock without difficulty. The pressure increased, and I wondered randomly if a cement truck doing forty miles an hour down a sharp decline would have similar power. Fifty miles an hour? Sixty? Probably more.

It wasn’t enough to move me. His hand shoved against mine with crushing force, but it wasn’t unpleasant. It felt kind of good in a weird way. I’d been so very careful since the last time I woke up, trying so hard not to break things. It was a strange relief to use my muscles. To let the strength flow rather than struggling to restrain it.

Emmett grunted; his forehead creased and his whole body strained in one rigid line toward the obstacle of my unmoving hand. I let him sweat—figuratively—for a moment while I enjoyed the sensation of the crazy force running through my arm.

A few seconds, though, and I was a little bored with it. I flexed; Emmett lost an inch.

I laughed. Emmett snarled harshly through his teeth.

“Just keep your mouth shut,” I reminded him, and then I smashed his hand into the boulder. A deafening crack echoed off the trees. The rock shuddered, and a piece—about an eighth of the mass—broke off at an invisible fault line and crashed to the ground. It fell on Emmett’s foot, and I snickered. I could hear Jacob’s and Edward’s muffled laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmckVzYL5OY

It's so bizarre to see any of these characters with actual charisma and human-like emotion after this writing.

quote:

Emmett kicked the rock fragment across the river. It sliced a young maple in half before thudding into the base of a big fir, which swayed and then fell into another tree.

“Rematch. Tomorrow.”

“It’s not going to wear off that fast,” I told him. “Maybe you ought to give it a month.”

Emmett growled, flashing his teeth. “Tomorrow.”

“Hey, whatever makes you happy, big brother.”

As he turned to stalk away, Emmett punched the granite, shattering off an avalanche of shards and powder. It was kind of neat, in a childish way.

Past Emmett would have been laughing at this and been super hyped about his sister-in-law being strong. I miss Past Emmett.

quote:

Fascinated by the undeniable proof that I was stronger than the strongest vampire I’d ever known, I placed my hand, fingers spread wide, against the rock. Then I dug my fingers slowly into the stone, crushing rather than digging; the consistency reminded me of hard cheese. I ended up with a handful of gravel.

“Cool,” I mumbled.

With a grin stretching my face, I whirled in a sudden circle and karate-chopped the rock with the side of my hand. The stone shrieked and groaned and—with a big poof of dust—split in two.

Shrieked and groaned...like metal?

quote:

I started giggling.

I didn’t pay much attention to the chuckles behind me while I punched and kicked the rest of the boulder into fragments. I was having too much fun, snickering away the whole time. It wasn’t until I heard a new little giggle, a high-pitched peal of bells, that I turned away from my silly game.

It's like she's trying to write a parody Mary Sue on purpose.

quote:

“Did she just laugh?”

Everyone was staring at Renesmee with the same dumbstruck expression that must have been on my face.

“Yes,” Edward said.

“Who wasn’t laughing?” Jake muttered, rolling his eyes.

“Tell me you didn’t let go a bit on your first run, dog,” Edward teased, no antagonism in his voice at all.

No antagonism, minus the slur.

quote:

“That’s different,” Jacob said, and I watched in surprise as he mock-punched Edward’s shoulder. “Bella’s supposed to be a grown-up. Married and a mom and all that. Shouldn’t there be more dignity?”

Oof, there's the Mormon popping out again. Bella's a teenager, but as soon as she gets married and has a kid she immediately has to shift gears and become a proper housewife.

quote:

Renesmee frowned, and touched Edward’s face.

“What does she want?” I asked.

“Less dignity,” Edward said with a grin. “She was having almost as much fun watching you enjoy yourself as I was.”

“Am I funny?” I asked Renesmee, darting back and reaching for her at the same time that she reached for me. I took her out of Edward’s arms and offered her the shard of rock in my hand. “You want to try?”

She smiled her glittering smile and took the stone in both hands. She squeezed, a little dent forming between her eyebrows as she concentrated.

There was a tiny grinding sound, and a bit of dust. She frowned, and held the chunk up to me.

This kid is going to grow up into a serial killer, isn't she?

quote:

“I’ll get it,” I said, pinching the stone into sand.

She clapped and laughed; the delicious sound of it made us all join in.

The sun suddenly burst through the clouds, shooting long beams of ruby and gold across the ten of us, and I was immediately lost in the beauty of my skin in the light of the sunset. Dazed by it.

Great, now she gets dazzled by herself.

quote:

Renesmee stroked the smooth diamond-bright facets, then laid her arm next to mine. Her skin had just a faint luminosity, subtle and mysterious. Nothing that would keep her inside on a sunny day like my glowing sparkle. She touched my face, thinking of the difference and feeling disgruntled.

Normal people don't have a "subtle and mysterious luminosity" to their skin!

quote:

“You’re the prettiest,” I assured her.

“I’m not sure I can agree to that,” Edward said, and when I turned to answer him, the sunlight on his face stunned me into silence.

Jacob had his hand in front of his face, pretending to shield his eyes from the glare. “Freaky Bella,” he commented.

“What an amazing creature she is,” Edward murmured, almost in agreement, as if Jacob’s comment was meant as a compliment. He was both dazzling and dazzled.

If I didn't have to finish this for you guys, I would have quit already. I've read books that were more entertaining to mock, but this might be the single worst I've ever read.

quote:

It was a strange feeling—not surprising, I supposed, since everything felt strange now—this being a natural at something. As a human, I’d never been best at anything. I was okay at dealing with Renée, but probably lots of people could have done better; Phil seemed to be holding his own. I was a good student, but never the top of the class. Obviously, I could be counted out of anything athletic. Not artistic or musical, no particular talents to brag of. Nobody ever gave away a trophy for reading books. After eighteen years of mediocrity, I was pretty used to being average. I realized now that I’d long ago given up any aspirations of shining at anything. I just did the best with what I had, never quite fitting into my world.

So this was really different. I was amazing now—to them and to myself. It was like I had been born to be a vampire. The idea made me want to laugh, but it also made me want to sing. I had found my true place in the world, the place I fit, the place I shined.

Anyone still not sure this is a Mormonism metaphor?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Ok, seeing as Renee is apparently out of the story I'm now going to assume that Leah will develop a plot-convenient tantrum and tell the Volturi about Renesmee and her creepy control over others. The end of the book is everyone, up to and including the Volturi, dunking on Leah. Renesmee laughs maniacally as she uses Jacob to enforce her will on what remains of Leah's family. Bella gets a new car.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1280874927944372224?s=21

Oh no.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:cripes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol

I wonder if he’s brave enough to reference his excellent poem “Nerd Porn Auteur” in this one.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Reminder that protagonist “Wade Watts” was given his name by his father because “it sounds like a secret identity. Also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Watts

I just cannot believe this is coincidence. My theory is when he decided to have Wade be from Oklahoma he may have seen the name and subconsciously recalled it as sounding “cool” but it’s always felt a bit of yikes to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 27: Travel Plans

quote:

I took mythology a lot more seriously since I'd become a vampire.

Often, when I looked back over my first three months as an immortal, I imagined how the thread of my life might look in the Fates’ loom—who knew but that it actually existed? I was sure my thread must have changed color; I thought it had probably started out as a nice beige, something supportive and non-confrontational, something that would look good in the background. Now it felt like it must be bright crimson, or maybe glistening gold.

Oh, now you have a problem with beige?

It's like Meyer knows what she's writing but also knows she can't blatantly attribute Bella's luck to God's will, so she uses some garbled version of the Greek Fates instead.

quote:

The tapestry of family and friends that wove together around me was a beautiful, glowing thing, full of their bright, complementary colors.

I was surprised by some of the threads I got to include in my life. The werewolves, with their deep, woodsy colors, were not something I’d expected; Jacob, of course, and Seth, too. But my old friends Quil and Embry became part of the fabric as they joined Jacob’s pack, and even Sam and Emily were cordial. The tensions between our families eased, mostly due to Renesmee. She was easy to love.

Of course you'd make the natives "woodsy" colors while the vampires get to be gold and crimson and all the nice ones. Because they're closer to the earth, or because it matches their Lamanite skin?

Also, Quil and Embry are with Jacob now I guess? Three-month timeskip and poo poo just happens!

quote:

Sue and Leah Clearwater were interlaced into our life, too—two more I had not anticipated. Sue seemed to have taken it on herself to smooth Charlie’s transition into the world of make-believe. She came with him to the Cullens’ most days, though she never seemed truly comfortable here the way her son and most of Jake’s pack did. She did not speak often; she just hovered protectively near Charlie. She was always the first person he looked to when Renesmee did something disturbingly advanced—which was often. In answer, Sue would eye Seth meaningfully as if to say, Yeah, tell me about it.

Leah was even less comfortable than Sue and was the only part of our recently extended family who was openly hostile to the merger. However, she and Jacob had a new camaraderie that kept her close to us all. I asked him about it once—hesitantly; I didn’t want to pry, but the relationship was so different from the way it used to be that it made me curious. He shrugged and told me it was a pack thing. She was his second-in-command now, his “beta,” as I’d called it once long ago.

But Leah doesn't want to stay! She was talking about how she wanted to leave the pack and get a normal life! Seth was already fine with sticking around!

quote:

“I figured as long as I was going to do this Alpha thing for real,” Jacob explained, “I’d better nail down the formalities.”

The new responsibility made Leah feel the need to check in with him often, and since he was always with Renesmee…

So he's not actually leading. He's sticking around his imprintee 24/7 and making Leah come to him constantly to get orders.

quote:

Leah was not happy to be near us, but she was the exception. Happiness was the main component in my life now, the dominant pattern in the tapestry. So much so that my relationship with Jasper was now much closer than I’d ever dreamed it would be.

Yeah, Leah's just so terrible! The only person who refuses to be happy like all the white people want her to!

quote:

At first I was really annoyed, though.

“Yeesh!” I complained to Edward one night after we’d put Renesmee in her wrought-iron crib. “If I haven’t killed Charlie or Sue yet, it’s probably not going to happen. I wish Jasper would stop hovering all the time!”

“No one doubts you, Bella, not in the slightest,” he assured me. “You know how Jasper is—he can’t resist a good emotional climate. You’re so happy all the time, love, he gravitates toward you without thinking.”

And then Edward hugged me tightly, because nothing pleased him more than my overwhelming ecstasy in this new life.

I'm going to assume that unless otherwise stated, Jasper is hiding in every subsequent scene with Bella.

quote:

And I was euphoric the vast majority of the time. The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.

There was a flipside to the joy, though. If you turned the fabric of our lives over, I imagined the design on the backside would be woven in the bleak grays of doubt and fear.

This is extremely not how the Fates worked in mythology. Each person gets one thread that is cut when it's time to die.

quote:

Renesmee spoke her first word when she was exactly one week old. The word was Momma, which would have made my day, except that I was so frightened by her progress I could barely force my frozen face to smile back at her. It didn’t help that she continued from her first word to her first sentence in the same breath. “Momma, where is Grandpa?” she’d asked in a clear, high soprano, only bothering to speak aloud because I was across the room from her. She’d already asked Rosalie, using her normal (or seriously abnormal, from another point of view) means of communication. Rosalie hadn’t known the answer, so Renesmee had turned to me.

If a week-old baby started speaking to me in full sentences, I would probably club it to death on the spot.

quote:

When she walked for the first time, fewer than three weeks later, it was similar. She’d simply stared at Alice for a long moment, watching intently as her aunt arranged bouquets in the vases scattered around the room, dancing back and forth across the floor with her arms full of flowers. Renesmee got to her feet, not in the least bit shaky, and crossed the floor almost as gracefully.

Jacob had burst into applause, because that was clearly the response Renesmee wanted. The way he was tied to her made his own reactions secondary; his first reflex was always to give Renesmee whatever she needed. But our eyes met, and I saw all the panic in mine echoed in his. I made my hands clap together, too, trying to hide my fear from her. Edward applauded quietly at my side, and we didn’t need to speak our thoughts to know they were the same.

So Jacob has basically had his entire mind taken over by imprinting and is now incapable of existing to do anything but coddle his future bride...and this is a good thing?

quote:

Edward and Carlisle threw themselves into research, looking for any answers, anything to expect. There was very little to be found, and none of it verifiable.

Alice and Rosalie usually began our day with a fashion show. Renesmee never wore the same clothes twice, partly because she outgrew her clothes almost immediately and partly because Alice and Rosalie were trying to create a baby album that appeared to span years rather than weeks. They took thousands of pictures, documenting every phase of her accelerated childhood.

At three months, Renesmee could have been a big one-year-old, or a small two-year-old. She wasn’t shaped exactly like a toddler; she was leaner and more graceful, her proportions were more even, like an adult’s. Her bronze ringlets hung to her waist; I couldn’t bear to cut them, even if Alice would have allowed it. Renesmee could speak with flawless grammar and articulation, but she rarely bothered, preferring to simply show people what she wanted. She could not only walk but run and dance. She could even read.

This is the most disturbing child in fiction. Here's the official image from the Illustrated Guide:

quote:

I’d been reading Tennyson to her one night, because the flow and rhythm of his poetry seemed restful. (I had to search constantly for new material; Renesmee didn’t like repetition in her bedtime stories as other children supposedly did, and she had no patience for picture books.) She reached up to touch my cheek, the image in her mind one of us, only with her holding the book. I gave it to her, smiling.

“‘There is sweet music here,’” she read without hesitation, “‘that softer falls than petals from blown roses on the grass, or night-dews on still waters between walls of shadowy granite, in a gleaming pass—’”

This isn't how brain development works! Not only is she physically growing rapidly, she's also magically gaining adult levels of comprehension and intelligence just by observing things for a few months!

quote:

My hand was robotic as I took the book back.

“If you read, how will you fall asleep?” I asked in a voice that had barely escaped shaking.

By Carlisle’s calculations, the growth of her body was gradually slowing; her mind continued to race on ahead. Even if the rate of decrease held steady, she’d still be an adult in no more than four years.

Four years. And an old woman by fifteen.

Just fifteen years of life.

How does that make any kind of sense? Her growth rate has been anything but steady and she shows little connection to normal human biology at all!

quote:

But she was so healthy. Vital, bright, glowing, and happy. Her conspicuous well-being made it easy for me to be happy with her in the moment and leave the future for tomorrow.

Oh, so you're worried she'll die by 15 but as long as she looks fine now you can be happy and put it off for later. Great. Cool.

quote:

Carlisle and Edward discussed our options for the future from every angle in low voices that I tried not to hear. They never had these discussions when Jacob was around, because there was one sure way to halt aging, and that wasn’t something Jacob was likely to be excited about. I wasn’t. Too dangerous! my instincts screamed at me. Jacob and Renesmee seemed alike in so many ways, both half-and-half beings, two things at the same time. And all the werewolf lore insisted that vampire venom was a death sentence rather than a course to immortality.…

Jacob's not a "half and half" being! He's a werewolf, not a half-wolf monstrosity!

And no, you don't know if you can just turn Renesmee into a vampire. Her biology is completely alien to all known living things.

quote:

Carlisle and Edward had exhausted the research they could do from a distance, and now we were preparing to follow old legends at their source. We were going back to Brazil, starting there. The Ticunas had legends about children like Renesmee.… If other children like her had ever existed, perhaps some tale of the life span of half-mortal children still lingered.…

You didn't think of using the best resource the first time around?

quote:

The only real question left was exactly when we would go.

I was the holdup. A small part of it was that I wanted to stay near Forks until after the holidays, for Charlie’s sake. But more than that, there was a different journey that I knew had to come first—that was the clear priority. Also, it had to be a solo trip.

This was the only argument that Edward and I had gotten in since I’d become a vampire. The main point of contention was the “solo” part. But the facts were what they were, and my plan was the only one that made rational sense. I had to go see the Volturi, and I had to do it absolutely alone.

...why?

quote:

Even freed from old nightmares, from any dreams at all, it was impossible to forget the Volturi. Nor did they leave us without reminders.

Until the day that Aro’s present showed up, I didn’t know that Alice had sent a wedding announcement to the Volturi leaders; we’d been far away on Esme’s island when she’d seen a vision of Volturi soldiers—Jane and Alec, the devastatingly powerful twins, among them. Caius was planning to send a hunting party to see if I was still human, against their edict (because I knew about the secret vampire world, I either must join it or be silenced… permanently). So Alice had mailed the announcement, seeing that this would delay them as they deciphered the meaning behind it. But they would come eventually. That was certain.

You....you invited them?

What if they showed up?

quote:

The present itself was not overtly threatening. Extravagant, yes, almost frightening in that very extravagance. The threat was in the parting line of Aro’s congratulatory note, written in black ink on a square of heavy, plain white paper in Aro’s own hand:

I so look forward to seeing the new Mrs. Cullen in person.

The gift was presented in an ornately carved, ancient wooden box inlaid with gold and mother-of-pearl, ornamented with a rainbow of gemstones. Alice said the box itself was a priceless treasure, that it would have outshone just about any piece of jewelry besides the one inside it.

“I always wondered where the crown jewels disappeared to after John of England pawned them in the thirteenth century,” Carlisle said. “I suppose it doesn’t surprise me that the Volturi have their share.”

The necklace was simple—gold woven into a thick rope of a chain, almost scaled, like a smooth snake that would curl close around the throat. One jewel hung suspended from the rope: a white diamond the size of a golf ball.

Unless Carlisle knows something we don't, King John did not pawn the crown jewels. While attempting to cross the Wash in 1216, an estuary on the east coast of England, he misjudged the current and many of the horse-drawn wagons in his baggage train were swept away. The rumor that he had faked the loss to use them as security for a loan comes from a single apocryphal account that does not match the historic record, and there's even evidence that the jewels weren't lost at all during this incident.

And how would he even identify this necklace? There wasn't exactly photography around in the 13th century! Nobody can even agree on what treasure exactly was lost. Did the Volturi show it off to Carlisle when he stayed with them for a while?

quote:

The unsubtle reminder in Aro’s note interested me more than the jewel. The Volturi needed to see that I was immortal, that the Cullens had been obedient to the Volturi’s orders, and they needed to see this soon. They could not be allowed near Forks. There was only one way to keep our life here safe.

Have you tried sending a letter or something? Clearly Alice knows how to get in touch with them. Arrange a conference?

quote:

You’re not going alone,” Edward had insisted through his teeth, his hands clenching into fists.

“They won’t hurt me,” I’d said as soothingly as I could manage, forcing my voice to sound sure. “They have no reason to. I’m a vampire. Case closed.”

“No. Absolutely no.”

“Edward, it’s the only way to protect her.”

And he hadn’t been able to argue with that. My logic was watertight.

"I am, after all, perfect."

quote:

Even in the short time I’d known Aro, I’d been able to see that he was a collector—and his most prized treasures were his living pieces. He coveted beauty, talent, and rarity in his immortal followers more than any jewel locked in his vaults. It was unfortunate enough that he’d begun to covet Alice’s and Edward’s abilities. I would give him no more reason to be jealous of Carlisle’s family. Renesmee was beautiful and gifted and unique—she was one of a kind. He could not be allowed to see her, not even through someone’s thoughts.

And I was the only one whose thoughts he could not hear. Of course I would go alone.

Aro wants things that he can use. A half-breed able to project thoughts by touch is neat but functionally useless to him except as an ornament. Also, he's 3000 years old and the book keeps hinting at other people like Renesmee having existed. There's no reason to assume he's got no idea that this is a thing.

quote:

Alice did not see any trouble with my trip, but she was worried by the indistinct quality of her visions. She said they were sometimes similarly hazy when there were outside decisions that might conflict but that had not been solidly resolved. This uncertainty made Edward, already hesitant, extremely opposed to what I had to do. He wanted to come with me as far as my connection in London, but I wouldn’t leave Renesmee without both her parents. Carlisle was coming instead. It made both Edward and me a little more relaxed, knowing that Carlisle would be only a few hours away from me.

Wait, your whole problem was that Edward would have his mind read and reveal Renesmee to the Volturi. But you're okay keeping Carlisle as backup nearby?

quote:

Alice kept searching for the future, but the things she found were unrelated to what she was looking for. A new trend in the stock market; a possible visit of reconciliation from Irina, though her decision was not firm; a snowstorm that wouldn’t hit for another six weeks; a call from Renée (I was practicing my “rough” voice, and getting better at it every day—to Renée’s knowledge, I was still sick, but mending).

As usual, Meyer is suddenly realizing that it was a mistake to add a clairvoyant to the plot.

quote:

We bought the tickets for Italy the day after Renesmee turned three months. I planned for it to be a very short trip, so I hadn’t told Charlie about it. Jacob knew, and he took Edward’s view on things. However, today the argument was about Brazil. Jacob was determined to come with us.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Just reading the excerpts is draining. Like, I was legitimately worried that I had lost my ability to empathize with a character or feel emotion in general. Fortunately my niece is watching Brave Little Toaster and Blanky just came down from the attic, so I know that's not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is the most disturbing child in fiction. Here's the official image from the Illustrated Guide:

Who the everloving gently caress puts that much makeup on a child?!