Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know if this is the the place for a "name that comic" type of question but here goes.

When I was a kid in the early 90s I had one particular comic I can't quite remember, and it's bothered me for years. The comic was set in the future I guess and the main character was a kind of a futuristic swordsman/ninja in tights. He was a white guy with curly hair, kind of a prince charming type. I want to say there was also a similar guy teamed up with him who was kind of cocky and arrogant?

The action happens on a space station and the guy (or guys) are going after the bad guy who runs the place. The bad guy has an ant face - bug eyes and big mandibles. He also has an exposed brain. The main dude and the bad guy have a sword fight in which the bad guy chops the good guys hand off and captures him.

The end is the part I remember the most. The protagonist is restrained in kind of a crucifix pose. The bad guy holds up his severed hand and tells him something along the lines of "with the microsurgeons on this ship it could be reattached. You'd regain total function in, oh, two to three weeks. But you won't. Ever." Then he throws the hand into a conveniently placed blender. Big "no" yell and villain laughing. The end.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Sounds like someone saw Star Wars a bunch!

Kidding aside, do you remember if it was color or B&W? Any chance you know if it's Marvel or DC or was it an indie?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Uthor posted:

Sounds like someone saw Star Wars a bunch!

Kidding aside, do you remember if it was color or B&W? Any chance you know if it's Marvel or DC or was it an indie?

It was in color and I can't remember if it was Marvel or like early Dark Horse maybe?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bessantj posted:

I think you have to go into the future so they can grow up in an apocalyptic wasteland.

Why doesn't anyone time travel their kids to a nice future.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know if this is the the place for a "name that comic" type of question but here goes.

When I was a kid in the early 90s I had one particular comic I can't quite remember, and it's bothered me for years. The comic was set in the future I guess and the main character was a kind of a futuristic swordsman/ninja in tights. He was a white guy with curly hair, kind of a prince charming type. I want to say there was also a similar guy teamed up with him who was kind of cocky and arrogant?

The action happens on a space station and the guy (or guys) are going after the bad guy who runs the place. The bad guy has an ant face - bug eyes and big mandibles. He also has an exposed brain. The main dude and the bad guy have a sword fight in which the bad guy chops the good guys hand off and captures him.

The end is the part I remember the most. The protagonist is restrained in kind of a crucifix pose. The bad guy holds up his severed hand and tells him something along the lines of "with the microsurgeons on this ship it could be reattached. You'd regain total function in, oh, two to three weeks. But you won't. Ever." Then he throws the hand into a conveniently placed blender. Big "no" yell and villain laughing. The end.

Doesn't ring a bell but look at some Moebius/Jorodosky stuff because it is 100% giving me that vibe

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

There is bound to be something like Earth 2397 where all the super heroes have gotten together and just made the world a really great place and aliens have done the same to their worlds. Instead of eating planets Galactus goes around handing out presents etc... Which are the best alt realities?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Retro Futurist posted:

Doesn't ring a bell but look at some Moebius/Jorodosky stuff because it is 100% giving me that vibe

Unfortunately, it's ringing a lot of 90's bells. Grendel, Ninjak, various X-dudes, TMNT. Being in color reinforces it being from a main stream publisher as a lot of the indie stuff was B&W. No idea what it is exactly, though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't this where The Flash's kids come from? Bart's parents?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

IIRC, the Tornado Twins are from the end of the 30th Century, just before the Legion is founded. While of course interpretations have varied over the years, the Legion's future has usually seemed pretty upbeat to me.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lurdiak posted:

I think if you're in a nice future you don't bother coming back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

That makes sense, why go back if whatever future you're in isn't a hellscape, you might accidentally gently caress it up.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

How Wonderful! posted:

They would for tourism.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SonicRulez posted:

Yes since iris was from the future and after the trial he went there before he died

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

That makes sense, why go back if whatever future you're in isn't a hellscape, you might accidentally gently caress it up.

But you can take stuff from the future museum and then go back in time and become a superhero.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I realized over night that I guess the Legion of Super Heroes come from a nice enough future in some versions and just want to meet Superboy, and from Kang's perspective he's from the nicest future of all because it belongs to him. Some people just can't be satisfied with a good thing I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Aw now I'm sad I won't get to see 2099

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

I realized over night that I guess the Legion of Super Heroes come from a nice enough future in some versions and just want to meet Superboy, and from Kang's perspective he's from the nicest future of all because it belongs to him. Some people just can't be satisfied with a good thing I guess.

The Legion was pretty bright and shiny until the 5 Year Gap. Then things were gloomy until Zero Hour.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Legion was pretty bright and shiny until the 5 Year Gap. Then things were gloomy until Zero Hour.

If I lived in the middle of something called a "Great Darkness Saga" I think I would consider part of a non-optimal timeline. I think if I lived through the Universo Project arc I'd also probably be thinking gently caress this future.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

How Wonderful! posted:

If I lived in the middle of something called a "Great Darkness Saga" I think I would consider part of a non-optimal timeline. I think if I lived through the Universo Project arc I'd also probably be thinking gently caress this future.

I kind of feel at this point that if you told me that 2020 is in fact the middle of the "Great Darkness Saga", I would mainly feel relief that being at the middle of something implies it has an eventual end.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SiKboy posted:

I kind of feel at this point that if you told me that 2020 is in fact the middle of the "Great Darkness Saga", I would mainly feel relief that being at the middle of something implies it has an eventual end.

We all receive the sweet release of death, friend

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How long does it take to draw your average issue of a comic book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Depends entirely on the artist. Some can easily do 30 pages a month. Others struggle to do a page a week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

It varies wildly, both by artist and by what the actual issue calls for (because Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie have worked together a lot, you might occasionally notice after a particularly dynamic issue the next one might have some artistic uses of blank space) but it seems like a page a day is the closest to a baseline average, so one issue a month assuming the artist is allowed to take an occasional day off, but never take an actual vacation.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, worth remembering that comic book artists split the labour several ways to make the ridiculous timescale they work on even remotely feasible. One person doing pencils, another inks, a third colours, and a fourth typesetting/lettering is a very different animal from one person doing all of those things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Depends entirely on the artist. Some can easily do 30 pages a month. Others struggle to do a page a week.

And then you have people like Mark Bagley who could do two books a month. That's still amazing to me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

And then you have people like Mark Bagley who could do two books a month. That's still amazing to me.

I imagine it also has to do with what they're drawing. Part of why Bagley draws quickly and reliably is simply his commendable work ethic but he also doesn't tend to pencil detailed panels the way someone like Bryan Hitch does. That's not a knock against Bagley, love the guy, but his pencils are "simpler" for lack of a better term.

Honestly I don't get how inkers and colorists stay sane having to work on art with such minute details.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Piskor talked about doing two pages a week for X-Men Grand Design, pencils, inks, colours and lettering.

Random Stranger has the numbers, but Kirby at his peak was penciling like 4 books / month.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the answers.

Android Blues posted:

Also, worth remembering that comic book artists split the labour several ways to make the ridiculous timescale they work on even remotely feasible. One person doing pencils, another inks, a third colours, and a fourth typesetting/lettering is a very different animal from one person doing all of those things.

Yeah, that's one of the things I was thinking of, I should imagine that somewhere out there is the right combination of people that can just knock out a comic book in a ridiculously short amount of time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herb Trimpe allegedly drew a full comic in 24 hours once. Iron Man 39.

Cartoonist Kayfabe talks about it here: https://youtu.be/yTEk6qhjZ6k

The Trimpe stuff is at the 9:20 mark.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The life of of manga artist. At least a small time one. Bigger names can afford more assistants who do more of the grunt work. Or in the case of the really big books will actually do most everything and the credited artist just does a few key panels or script writing/supervision.

MH Knights fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 9, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the answers.

Yeah, that's one of the things I was thinking of, I should imagine that somewhere out there is the right combination of people that can just knock out a comic book in a ridiculously short amount of time.

The colorist and lettering weren't always the same people but Bendis, Bagley, Thibert as writer, pencils, inks made 58 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man straight with 18 issues a year. Bendis and Bagley continued at that same pace until issue 108 when Bagley left the book which was at the time the most issues straight by the same writer/artist duo at Marvel. Again at 18 issues a year.

Also it was mentioned Jack Kirby was drawing 4 books a month at one point, Stan Lee was doing the dialogue and some of the plotting for those books.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Selachian posted:

IIRC, the Tornado Twins are from the end of the 30th Century, just before the Legion is founded. While of course interpretations have varied over the years, the Legion's future has usually seemed pretty upbeat to me.

In the 1990s “Five Years Later” LoSH series the Earth Government (secretly controlled by the Dominators) has Don and Dawn Allen executed under false premises as traitors and terrorists.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Like they said, pretty upbeat.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The coroner from Batman and the Mad Monk (2006) - I would swear this guy is modeled on a character actor. I can even hear his voice. I just can't put a name to the face. Any ideas?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

The coroner from Batman and the Mad Monk (2006) - I would swear this guy is modeled on a character actor. I can even hear his voice. I just can't put a name to the face. Any ideas?

A fatter Vincent Schiavelli?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doesn't look like anyone real to me but in the fourth panel he reminds me of Rupert Thorne from the 90s animated series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

He looks like Michael Kostroff, who played sleazy lawyer Maury Levy on The Wire and the scientist who experimented on Luke Cage when he was a prisoner.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467512/
https://www.google.com/search?q=mic...iw=1536&bih=722

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looks like Joe Polito to me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats jon lovitz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno