Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I find it funny how there's complaints about them being experimental and can't leave a formula alone, when this is also the company that makes New Super Mario Bros, which is probably one of their most stagnant properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo has never hosed with 2D Mario. It may be the only thing that's off limits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I think Sebulba and only Sebulba has something he can attack the other racers with.

Yup, Sebulba has flamethrowers on the sides of his engines.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
With his cheatin rear end

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's good about pod racer that it was worth remaking and playing again? I watched episode 1 again recently and holy poo poo that movie, including the entire setup for the pod racing part.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's good about pod racer that it was worth remaking and playing again? I watched episode 1 again recently and holy poo poo that movie, including the entire setup for the pod racing part.

It's a fun, fast-paced, racing game with flashy Star Wars visuals :shrug:.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Why are there games about world war 2 a lot of good people died

What's so good about Lego Island I stepped on one once and it hurt

Why donkey kong game when kongey dong kidnap a girl

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The pod racing scene is the best part of Episode One.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Araxxor posted:

I find it funny how there's complaints about them being experimental and can't leave a formula alone, when this is also the company that makes New Super Mario Bros, which is probably one of their most stagnant properties.

it's a weird juxtaposition of "don't touch this" with "we need to justify making XYZ by putting in new features" which is why they didn't want to make a new F-Zero. (Tbh why would they when they have made 40 million fucken dollars off MK8)

It's not that these are niche genres that would never sell, either--EX-Zodiac's Kickstarter just doubled the initial goal of 20k, there's a market for Star Fox, even if it's a smaller version. People still like beat 'em up's; Streets of Rage 4 was a critical and commercial success. People want OutRun; Hotshot Racing is coming out later. Hell there's even a Windjammers 2 coming out.

SEGA might be doing better with their older IPs than Nintendo if only by virtue of Sega apparently having no problem outsourcing their properties to third parties with a passion for their games, like Christian Whitehead and DotEmu. It's a shame because I think doing stuff like "2.5 Metroid done by Heart Machine" or something would whip rear end.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

American McGay posted:

Nintendo has never hosed with 2D Mario. It may be the only thing that's off limits.

this is true but they sorta handed loving with it over to everyone else

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

American McGay posted:

Until BOTW came out, there was also the Zelda franchise which people were complaining about getting super stagnant as well.

It's just kinda surreal to watch this happen when the exact opposite complaint was made about their games never really bothering to change things up was made some console generations ago and how they just refused to innovate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 'experimentation' with Paper Mario has basically been stripping out entire gameplay elements and throwing half-assed gimmicks back in instead. The first two games were already a unique formula that worked really well, while Super Paper Mario was in essence just a dull, gimmicky platformer. I kept waiting for the real game to start until I found myself at the final dungeon and completely lost interest. Then they stripped out the story and character designs too.

It is very much the same problem with Star Fox but worse- it's not 'innovation', it's gimmicky overcompensation while simultaneously failing to have any real stylistic draws, since the presentation and story got less original, turning into just fighting Bowser again and again. It's literally everything people stereotypically complain about Nintendo doing.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I thought waiting patiently until July would help me in my quest to buy a Switch, but here I am using scalper technology trying to buy one of these loving things. Not sure who's at fault here (probably Nintendo) but if anyone has suggestions on how to actually procure this console, I'm all ears.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

Mario Maker is literally the loving around game in that regard but it was true before with the NSMB games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mario Maker is literally the loving around game in that regard but it was true before with the NSMB games.

Arguably Mario Maker can only be a thing BECAUSE the 2D Mario games have such a steady formula and structure.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Araxxor posted:

Until BOTW came out, there was also the Zelda franchise which people were complaining about getting super stagnant as well.

It's just kinda surreal to watch this happen when the exact opposite complaint was made about their games never really bothering to change things up was made some console generations ago and how they just refused to innovate.

Zelda's a good example, actually, because for a while the "innovation" in the series amounted to taking Ocarina of Time and chucking in a gimmick that most of the game winds up revolving around, often to the detriment of pacing or core mechanics. Breath of the Wild worked because it was a reworking of the concept from the ground up that stood on its own, rather than just being "[x] but with [y]."

Yeah, the newer Paper Mario games have been changing things up, but they haven't been doing it to any real purpose. There's space between constant iteration and haphazard flailing, just because people got sick of the repetition in one series doesn't mean arbitrary gimmicks are the answer. This is also a lesson Capcom's had to learn several times.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

The pod racing scene is the best part of Episode One.
While I agree, that isn't really saying much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 'experimentation' with Paper Mario has basically been stripping out entire gameplay elements and throwing half-assed gimmicks back in instead. The first two games were already a unique formula that worked really well, while Super Paper Mario was in essence just a dull, gimmicky platformer. I kept waiting for the real game to start until I found myself at the final dungeon and completely lost interest. Then they stripped out the story and character designs too.

It is very much the same problem with Star Fox but worse- it's not 'innovation', it's gimmicky overcompensation while simultaneously failing to have any real stylistic draws, since the presentation and story got less original, turning into just fighting Bowser again and again. It's literally everything people stereotypically complain about Nintendo doing.

This is one of the actual problems I had with Sticker Star instead of it being "different". It's basically a NSMB-ified version of Paper Mario with a really bad gameplay core. Color Splash at least spruced things up heavily outside the gameplay... which was still the same rotten core.

Still gonna wait for impressions on Origami King before diving in or not getting it, because we still barely know anything about the core gameplay, and they haven't really delved into a lot of it for some reason. For one, are the partners 64 or TTYD style partners, or are they just summons ala SS and CS?

sethsez posted:

Zelda's a good example, actually, because for a while the "innovation" in the series amounted to taking Ocarina of Time and chucking in a gimmick that most of the game winds up revolving around, often to the detriment of pacing or core mechanics. Breath of the Wild worked because it was a reworking of the concept from the ground up that stood on its own, rather than just being "[x] but with [y]."

Yeah, the newer Paper Mario games have been changing things up, but they haven't been doing it to any real purpose. There's space between constant iteration and haphazard flailing, just because people got sick of the repetition in one series doesn't mean arbitrary gimmicks are the answer. This is also a lesson Capcom's had to learn several times.

On a related note, Animal Crossing also briefly flailed around with City Folk, which wasn't too different from Wild World. And that one actually bit them in the butt and they had to figure out hot to actually advance the series because City Folk's sales numbers are much lower than all the other entries right now.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 7, 2020

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I think I've said it before, but it seems like the development team for Paper Mario changed between Super and Sticker Star, at least on the director and producer level. Apparently, the director for the first three games doesn't even want to be a game director and instead wants to work as a planner. Sticker Star and Color Splash both have two directors, and neither one seems to have much directorial experience. One of them was the director for that one Tingle game, but that's it. Although I think Color Splash had issues, it was still significantly better than Sticker Star imo. Because of that improvement, I do feel optimistic about Origami King being even better now that the dev team is more experienced.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Like it’s cool that Nintendo wants to constantly do new things instead of rely on rehashing stuff but also people have wanted the true successor to the first two paper mario games for a while now and they’re just like dead set on not delivering that and it’s kind of funny

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Does it pull off a split build between melee and ranged? I appreciate when games pull off hybrid character builds well.

Yeah. Iirc you have several guns you can equip, shot gun, sniper, basic and strong pistol, with limited ammo that’s recharged by successful sword Attacks. You don’t ever get too much health, so you rely on dashing which gives you I-frames. It’s a bit hard to describe but it plays really well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

man nurse posted:

Like it’s cool that Nintendo wants to constantly do new things instead of rely on rehashing stuff but also people have wanted the true successor to the first two paper mario games for a while now and they’re just like dead set on not delivering that and it’s kind of funny

Nintendo proving that you cant please all of the people all of the time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is I'm p sure sales haven't exactly shown there's a massive audience who laps up the new style Paper Mario games either, it just seems to be people dunking on TTYD fans for... some reason. They're pleasing none of the people none of the time.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is I'm p sure sales haven't exactly shown there's a massive audience who laps up the new style Paper Mario games either, it just seems to be people dunking on TTYD fans for... some reason. They're pleasing none of the people none of the time.

From what I've looked at Sticker Star sold a littler bit more than TTYD, and Super Paper Mario sold almost double. Color Splash sold a lot less but it was on the Wii U.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Color Splash was very good, my friends, so I think Origami King will also be good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

From what I've looked at Sticker Star sold a littler bit more than TTYD, and Super Paper Mario sold almost double. Color Splash sold a lot less but it was on the Wii U.

It'd be real sad if Sticker Star was the best selling Paper Mario game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, people aren't impressed by doing the RPG equivalent of rediscovering the wheel.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It'd be real sad if Sticker Star was the best selling Paper Mario game.

Maybe I worded my post poorly, but I believe Super Paper Mario is actually the best selling Paper Mario game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

Maybe I worded my post poorly, but I believe Super Paper Mario is actually the best selling Paper Mario game.

No I think you worded it fine. I was just so shocked that Sticker Star sold a bunch that I must have ignored the rest of the post.

alr
May 14, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

One Step From Eden is another great roguelike with a very unique combat system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZZuo7Xpmqs

Throwing in a recommendation for this, I have a bunch of hours in it and the gameplay is very good. It's not the best port though, and I'd get it on PC if you care about a solid framerate. Late in runs you'll get fps issues, and sometimes it hangs for a few frames and throws off your timing. Just feels a bit unpolished.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TTYD was kind of vindicated by history iirc; at the time it apparently reviewed poorly mostly because reviewers had no idea what to do with it and/or thought it was kiddy, and it came out pretty late in the GameCube's life. Much like how the original Paper Mario is one of the mostly forgotten N64 classics.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Hey folks I’m the idiot buying deadly premonition 2 first thing at launch/working third shift from home - watch this space if you’re on the fence.

Also as far as rogue lites into the breach is the best one the poster doesn’t already have - it is extremely cerebral and punishes bad decisions harshly so if you’re looking for a “zoned out before bed/during work” game I would not recommend. Deathstate is gungeon/Isaac but shallower and you auto fire, so it’s all about positioning and throws a lot more bullets at you. It’s not as good as either of those but it’s 10 bucks/different enough if you absolutely need a third top down pixel roguelite shooter

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How’s the switch version of Civ 6

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Color Splash was very good, my friends, so I think Origami King will also be good.

Seriously, if you're worried about Origami King because of Sticker Star, Colour Splash showed they could still make a great Paper Mario game. I'm excited for Origami King. :peanut:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Doesn't color splash play like sticker star? I put that game down because of its terrible combat, not because of any writing or graphical sins (I didn't get far enough to discover those).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think some people just want to develop something different after a while

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s the switch version of Civ 6

It's good not great. However I've been cross-playing PC and Switch and thats pretty awesome. Get a civ all setup on PC with alot of screen real estate and continue the game on the Switch when I jump onto the train into work.

Playing across both systems is great. Learning Civ6 from scratch on switch not so great.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Guys after ranting about the bonus blue sphere stages last night on Sonic Mania I loaded the game up and won three back to back. Four more to go, thanks for listening. Also make sure to do Sonic & Tails, Sonic solo is lame as gently caress.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1280351660519370752?s=19

I wonder if this means we're getting a new SNES Online game soon, or maybe it'll come packaged in a new collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

KingSlime posted:

Speaking of soundtracks and awesome games...why does gungeon have such a terrible soundtrack? It's all weird boops and vibrations, borderline atonal and entirely uninteresting techno. And the boss song doesn't hype me up at all, it sounds super cheesy and weak.

I might turn off the music and find some cool high energy jams on Spotify because I want to play maybe 100 hours more but that soundtrack is sapping my enthusiasm hard. Many rogue likes/lites have featured excellent music so this is doubly disappointing.

Otherwise the game kicks rear end

I just started listening to it after your post for the heck of it and I'm finding a lot to like here. Where are you hearing 'techno' in this? What were you expecting to hear?

Granted I haven't really played much of the game so maybe it doesn't work with the action/visuals, but on its own merits it's pretty interesting and well considered.