Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

T-man posted:

"To make the distinction unmistakably clear: Civilization is the vital force in human history; culture is that inert mass of institutions and organizations which accumulate around and tend to drag down the advance of life; Civilization is Giordano Bruno facing death by fire; culture is the Cardinal Bellarmino, after ten years of inquisition, sending Bruno to the stake in the Campo di Fiori; Civilization is Sartre; culture Cocteau; Civilization is mutual aid and self-defense; culture is the judge, the lawbook and the forces of Law & Ordure (sic); Civilization is uprising, insurrection, revolution; culture is the war of state against state, or of machines against people, as in Hungary and Vietnam; Civilization is tolerance, detachment and humor, or passion, anger, revenge; culture is the entrance examination, the gas chamber, the doctoral dissertation and the electric chair; Civilization is the Ukrainian peasant Nestor Makhno fighting the Germans, then the Reds, then the Whites, then the Reds again; culture is Stalin and the Fatherland; Civilization is Jesus turning water into wine; culture is Christ walking on the waves; Civilization is a youth with a Molotov cocktail in his hand; culture is the Soviet tank or the L.A. cop that guns him down; Civilization is the wild river; culture, 592,000 tons of cement; Civilization flows; culture thickens and coagulates, like tired, sick, stifled blood"

bukowski?
:golgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

augias
Apr 7, 2009

T-man posted:

"To make the distinction unmistakably clear: Civilization is the vital force in human history; culture is that inert mass of institutions and organizations which accumulate around and tend to drag down the advance of life; Civilization is Giordano Bruno facing death by fire; culture is the Cardinal Bellarmino, after ten years of inquisition, sending Bruno to the stake in the Campo di Fiori; Civilization is Sartre; culture Cocteau; Civilization is mutual aid and self-defense; culture is the judge, the lawbook and the forces of Law & Ordure (sic); Civilization is uprising, insurrection, revolution; culture is the war of state against state, or of machines against people, as in Hungary and Vietnam; Civilization is tolerance, detachment and humor, or passion, anger, revenge; culture is the entrance examination, the gas chamber, the doctoral dissertation and the electric chair; Civilization is the Ukrainian peasant Nestor Makhno fighting the Germans, then the Reds, then the Whites, then the Reds again; culture is Stalin and the Fatherland; Civilization is Jesus turning water into wine; culture is Christ walking on the waves; Civilization is a youth with a Molotov cocktail in his hand; culture is the Soviet tank or the L.A. cop that guns him down; Civilization is the wild river; culture, 592,000 tons of cement; Civilization flows; culture thickens and coagulates, like tired, sick, stifled blood"

posting Hamilton lyrics should be baneanbble

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

night danger posted:

horny on skein

fabric is sold on BOLTS

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box; religion is the smile on a dog.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/damoj/status/1263778025180561408?s=20

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

snoo posted:

fabric is sold on BOLTS

and thats uhhhh *checks capital vol 1, again* five coats

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

this made me laugh way too hard for a dumb meme

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

T-man posted:

Just make sure to skip the chapters on cowboys and Indians.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

this made me laugh way too hard for a dumb meme

it's dumb, but it's totally not dumb. i like it too

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Accretionist posted:

"Once we get into the habit of seeking things

that are disproportionate to our actual needs,

there is no stopping point.

More is always automatically better.

This is the ideology of a cancer cell."

is that Ram Dass? BHN? it's ringing a bell I can't quite place

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
edward abbey

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

6500 years already? way to make me feel old

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i wish heinlein had still been alive and twitter had existed in 1997 just to see what would have happened

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanvizzions/status/1280316294970163201

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

augias posted:

posting Hamilton lyrics should be baneanbble

Uh oh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zvahl posted:

edward abbey

It's really a lovely book and I was pretty young when I read it and it had a lasting impact on me, but there are parts of it that haven't aged well. The chapter where he floats down the colorado river right before they finish the glen canyon dam is absolutely haunting though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/anarkidd0/status/1280518241241059328?s=20

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1280525051801075715

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:hmmyes: Jizzblaster Dan makes an excellent point.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

is that Ram Dass? BHN? it's ringing a bell I can't quite place

https://anchor.fm/stoicmeditations/episodes/The-problem-with-luxury-ed2irk

Stoic Meditations podcast from Massimo Pigliucci, a philosophy professor.

Each episode is a little vignette. Great fodder for daily walks.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/zlingray/status/1280558841445269505

noooo

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://twitter.com/PugetSoundJBGC/status/1280552175454744576

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Raising a child to believe in magic? What are you, a capitalist ignoring the labor theory of value? *strokes imaginary beard*

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zvahl posted:

edward abbey

I didn't know who this was and looked him up on Google and holy poo poo this man was like, peak daddy

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
you can't pull off the bandana look unless you're sincere about going full nature daddy, i tried it just made me look like someone's dog

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

neck bandanna requires tan skin and a modicum of fresh loose dust somewhere on the person

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's left back pocket or right back pocket how do goons gently caress this up

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1280563488000053249?s=19

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is Bryce telling me to log off???

Never!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Verbal clown vomit.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

tmfc posted:

jesus christ, ben

there's already an edited version that says JEW CRIMES making the rounds

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

T-man posted:

It's left back pocket or right back pocket how do goons gently caress this up

that’s for top/bottom or dom/sub

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

I’m not disagreeing that most pop culture is awful trash but what do these people do for fun?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tigersklaw posted:

I’m not disagreeing that most pop culture is awful trash but what do these people do for fun?

hunt pedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

fun is a bourgeoisie construct