Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Durability being tied to frames was a bug that was eventually patched out iirc. But all weapons in general have way less durability than in the other Souls games, so it becomes a factor you actually have to pay attention to rather than just ignore completely, even without the bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The only time I've ever heard of durability being important in 1 was the poor people who had their only upgraded weapon break on them while in blighttown.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Gaping Dragon's vomit will break everything you have equipped in seconds, which is avoidable once you know it's coming but practically guaranteed to ruin your poo poo and send you running back to a smith the first time it happens because there's no indication it does that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You have to pay attention to your durability, but it resets at rest, so you're only at risk if you're in a long run (like in Pirate Cave), and your blacksmith is only a warp away at all times of your weapon breaks.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

bony tony posted:

You have to pay attention to your durability, but it resets at rest, so you're only at risk if you're in a long run (like in Pirate Cave), and your blacksmith is only a warp away at all times of your weapon breaks.

This is why it's the best durability system, it acts in a similar way to estus in DS1 to increase tension between bonfires without screwing you over long term. It even has the added benefit that it can force you to change up weapons/tactics if your weapon break, whereas if you run out of estus you most likely just die.

To go back on topic, the thing dragging down DS2 is that most of it's areas don't have long enough runs to take advantage of this system.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Small Soapstone repairs items doesn't it?

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Yes, as well as restore estus and humanity. I didn't know this during my first playthrough though!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DS3 had durability but it was completely pointless. It took the system from DS2 and made durability lower at a fraction of that game's rate. You only have to pay to fix a weapon that hits 0 durability, but you won't and if Durability is above 0 then the weapon is restored to max at a checkpoint.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Sure sounds like Dark Souls 3 alright!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They did fix the high framerate = durability destruction bug in DS2 eventually. There was another bug where hitting the ragdolls of dead enemies did enormous durability damage. It was fun seeing people arguing that it was definitely intended and extremely logical before it got fixed.

Cleretic posted:

Almost as if equipment breaking is a fundamental part of the game that it's balanced around or something.

The Master Sword still drastically reduces the amount of weapons you actually need, since you'll always have a Really Good Sword. Once you have that you only need like, two other weapon slots, given how fast the Master Sword regenerates and how every goddamn everything in the game drops like five weapons. By the end of BotW I was actually having the problem that I couldn't get rid of weapons fast enough to have open slots to pick up cool poo poo.

The problem is that it's a poo poo mechanic and balancing the game around it makes the game substantially worse. If getting the master sword allowed you to completely disengage with that mechanic it would have been a decent band-aid, but it doesn't.

There's basically zero joy when you find some cool new weapon because it's just going to break after half of an encounter and get swapped out for one of the endless piles of clubs enemies are dropping. It also ruins the flow of the game to be constantly swapping equipment. This wouldn't have been as bad if it had been a dual screen game like it was obviously developed to be, but they got rid of that feature when they decided to also put it on the switch.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Jul 6, 2020

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

There's basically zero joy when you find some cool new weapon because it's just going to break after half of an encounter and get swapped out for one of the endless piles of clubs enemies are dropping.

I think this is a point that gets glossed over by a lot of people. Weapons are so disposable that you essentially never have individual weapons outside of the Master Sword (which yes is probably a better axe/hammer than a weapon). You just have some amorphous collection of weapons where each one is more-or-less interchangeable. You might as well just delete every weapon and go back to Link having a starter sword and then a master sword (or a couple tiers). Imagine a system where every few seconds of combat the game pauses and then won't continue until you pick a meaningless menu item from a samey list and then it continues until the next abrupt pause. That's the combat system BotW has for me because of its durability. I'm not pissed when my weapon breaks. The weapon was always worthless and ephemeral to me from the moment I picked it up. I'm pissed because now I have to pick a new weapon I don't give a poo poo about to keep fighting.

It would be different if weapons were made an actual resource. I can't say I'd like it, but there would at least be a point to it if you had a limited amount of weapons you had to carefully manage because they weren't dropping infinitely. Like ammo in a survival horror game. Or if weapons broke but could be repaired in town so you had to go through your weapons and thus not stick with a single one and it would limit how long you could stay in the field. But no, it's just complete annoyance. And you do stick with a single weapon the whole run - the "whatever the gently caress I have because who gives a poo poo" weapon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If anything, arrows are more valuable than weapons, because you have to spend actual resources to get them and they're finite.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bony tony posted:

If anything, arrows are more valuable than weapons, because you have to spend actual resources to get them and they're finite.

I think the durability system works well in BOTW. But the bow/arrow system? Nah that's annoying as poo poo. Having to worry about the durability of my bow while also stocking up on arrows which, for some reason, aren't nearly free and plentiful everywhere, is a pain in the butt.

Edit: Also not being able to have sets of armor to cycle through, and having to equip each piece of equipment one by one in the menu. Man, the interface for that game could've really used some playtesting in general.

Also you may say every weapon is the same but there is no way I'm using an axe on an enemy unless it's with the explicit goal of stunlocking it to death. Similarly being able to take down ice lizalfos with, like, a single strike of a fire sword is fuckin' great.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Jul 6, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm playing through The Messenger, which is very good. It is a platformer, which means you are hopping over pits for most of the game. Some secrets are hidden in pits. 99% of the time jumping in a pit kills you. As far as I can tell, there is no way to know which pits you can jump in and which ones you can't. So it's just trial and error which is very boring.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
^^^^
That always made hunting for secrets fun in SNES-era platformers.

I’ve beaten the Zora divine beast in BotW and got some fancy named spear. I was excited about there being a dedicated NPCs to get a new one when it broke, because I’d always be able to fast travel back and get a decent weapon. Then I got disappointed when I found the cost for doing so was pretty considerable, having to bring him a specific type of spear and a bunch of ore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Kazuma Kiryu in Yakuza 6 is the buffest man ever, with the flattest, most insignificant rear end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know it's a deliberate choice, but it just feels wrong in TLoU2 that you can't do non-lethal takedowns or (especially) hide bodies, unless you happen to grab someone while they're close enough to drag into grass first. The former feels especially weird in certain areas, and the latter just feels bizarre in-game, like you'll viciously mow through anyone in your immediate path, but as soon as they're dead it's ew, yuck, I'm not touching a ~corpse~ or something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Blatant product placement in sports games. Woo, I'm a superstar. Now they let me spout out Gatorade slogans at a press conference.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gort posted:

Kazuma Kiryu in Yakuza 6 is the buffest man ever, with the flattest, most insignificant rear end.

It is important for heroes to have flaws.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Brigador is set up to be pure maniacal fun where every bit of destruction you cause earns you points, but then the background makes me feel worse than TLOU2 probably would.

Why is the game not about killing every Spacer?

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Jul 7, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Brigador is set up to be pure maniacal fun where every bit of destruction you cause earns you points, but then the background makes me feel worse than TLOU2 probably would.

Why is the game not about killing every Spacer?

The sequel in development is about hunting down the brigadors from the first game and killing the gently caress out of them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know it's a deliberate choice, but it just feels wrong in TLoU2 that you can't do non-lethal takedowns or (especially) hide bodies, unless you happen to grab someone while they're close enough to drag into grass first. The former feels especially weird in certain areas, and the latter just feels bizarre in-game, like you'll viciously mow through anyone in your immediate path, but as soon as they're dead it's ew, yuck, I'm not touching a ~corpse~ or something.

On the plus side, being unable to move bodies sometimes results in a slowly growing man pile as one enemy after another notices the corpse out in the open and walks right over to it like a dumbass.

The Lone Badger posted:

The sequel in development is about hunting down the brigadors from the first game and killing the gently caress out of them.

I refuse to fight Johnny Five Aces

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:44 on Jul 7, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hopefully Gauss is no longer on the team.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Gort posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bewilderment posted:

Hopefully Gauss is no longer on the team.

Not to drag the drama all the way here from Games or nothin, but he did leave the team, or at least he said he did here in the SA Brigador thread (before it went to poo poo due to lame-o drive by trolls).

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jul 7, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gort posted:

Sadly Kiryu suffers from noassatall disease

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CJacobs posted:

On the plus side, being unable to move bodies sometimes results in a slowly growing man pile as one enemy after another notices the corpse out in the open and walks right over to it like a dumbass.

Ah the Max Payne "baseball bat" strategy

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The manpile is a proud stealth game tradition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

does rear end ownership count as manly or ladylike

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I gave myself an idea based on Tony Hawk's Proving Ground's difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2hJbGyAMZI.

I thought it was funny.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

While I'm not usually a huge fan of weapon durability in games, with BotW it didn't annoy me nearly as much as usual, mainly because that game hemorrhages weapons at you. Having to go to the menu to switch to a new weapon was a bit annoying, but if something was done to fix that, the durability itself wouldn't be bad.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Skyrim: I never liked how much harder bosses were compared to the preceding dungeon. Given that the game has level-scaling it never feels right when after beating piss-easy skeletons and moderate draugr you face a brick wall like a master vampire. The bosses feel like they're a tier higher than they aught to be. It's like following up Glass Joe with Mr Sandman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Skyrim: I never liked how much harder bosses were compared to the preceding dungeon. Given that the game has level-scaling it never feels right when after beating piss-easy skeletons and moderate draugr you face a brick wall like a master vampire. The bosses feel like they're a tier higher than they aught to be. It's like following up Glass Joe with Mr Sandman.

Since you mentioned a boxing game, I guess Skyrim is using the rope-a-dope tactic?

Edit: Not related to videogames but apparently the whole "rope-a-dope" thing employed by Ali was a myth. In talking about it years later, Foreman used this great phrase:

quote:

Muhammad began bragging about his great strategy—letting me punch myself out before delivering the crowning blows. But I know, and he knows, he had no such strategy before the fight. To say he did is to shoot an arrow into a barn and then paint a bull's-eye around it. Muhammad's only strategy had been survival. When I cut off the ring from him, he had nowhere to go but the ropes, and nothing to do but cover up. What's more true than his concoction of some brilliant strategy is that I fought a foolish fight by not letting him come to me more.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Jul 7, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Skyrim: I never liked

same. I played through the game correctly but gave up about 30h in. Then I tried grinding stats, got pretty OP and got bored as hell. Then tried mods, got bored. Skyrim is just kinda bad tbh.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

While I'm not usually a huge fan of weapon durability in games, with BotW it didn't annoy me nearly as much as usual, mainly because that game hemorrhages weapons at you. Having to go to the menu to switch to a new weapon was a bit annoying, but if something was done to fix that, the durability itself wouldn't be bad.

Imagine, if you will, a large touchscreen built right into your controller that would allow you to instantly swap weapons with a quick tap. Alas, some dreams are just too big.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

same. I played through the game correctly but gave up about 30h in. Then I tried grinding stats, got pretty OP and got bored as hell. Then tried mods, got bored. Bethesda games are just kinda bad tbh.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gort posted:

That's because there is no scene where he has to dramatically rip off his pants to show the dragon tattooed on his rear end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

Imagine, if you will, a large touchscreen built right into your controller that would allow you to instantly swap weapons with a quick tap. Alas, some dreams controllers are just too big.

And badly marketed. The WiiU was such a disaster overall.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

LifeSunDeath posted:

same. I played through the game correctly but gave up about 30h in. Then I tried grinding stats, got pretty OP and got bored as hell. Then tried mods, got bored. Skyrim is just kinda bad tbh.

The entire game is "go to this dungeon, kill things, boss at the end, wow treasure!"
It doesn't even matter what cave or bandit hideout or barrow you enter, it is the exact same formula.
At least in Morrowind you could enter an ancestral tomb and find a few ghosts and that'd be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Phylakes in AssCreed: Origins are bullshit. They're basically enemies that pop up when the game decides that you're having too much fun.