Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A correction!

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1280337007961616391?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This is a guy in over his head.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Congrats to DeSean Jackson on managing to be the (at the moment) most racist person in a division with Dan Snyder.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well this is a problem.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Wait, so apparently the Mahomes megadeal only actually has $63m fully guaranteed at signing? LOLWUT

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Wait, so apparently the Mahomes megadeal only actually has $63m fully guaranteed at signing? LOLWUT

Yeah after the shocking headlines this contract kind of seems like a joke.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

NFL contracts are so dumb

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1280495069443784704?s=19

He didn't really need to speak for us to know because it was obvious but it's always nice to see BoB is keeping the franchise QB happy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sean10mm posted:

He has $63 million guaranteed at signing with $140m injury guarantee. Worst case scenario he’s bringing home that $140m.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ches Neckbeard posted:

So DJax literally quoted Hitler on his snapchat

https://i.imgur.com/vGk4hy6.jpg

On the plus side he's not actually quoting Hitler, but he's sure as hell trying to.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Asproigerosis posted:

Omg we've come to the conclusion of the worst loving timeline possible.

Chip Kelly was right.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

I wish I was guaranteed only $63M

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Better Than You posted:

I wish I was guaranteed only $63M

Replace one of your arms with a jugs machine and wire it directly into your brain, seems simple enough.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

Replace one of your arms with a jugs machine and wire it directly into your brain, seems simple enough.
My point was if you take away context it sounds funny to just call it "only" $63M :shrug:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I thought Mike Trout was that guy from Breaking Bad. He was cool.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Nice! posted:

He has $63 million guaranteed at signing with $140m injury guarantee. Worst case scenario he’s bringing home that $140m.

Yeah, it seems a less than optimal contract, given that the Chiefs can keep him for his entire career if they want. If the cap skyrockets or he stays MVP level for 10 years, he's locked in with almost no leverage to get out or get a raise. The moment the cap drops, his performance drops or whatever, the Chiefs can opt out, pay 1 year of cap pain and be done with him.

For this reason, I don't think it's that helpful for Dak or Watson. The Cowboys and Texans will just point to all the opt outs and limited guarantees and try to hide all the meaningful money behind team options

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

President of the NFLPA:

JC Tretter posted:

Our normal return date for training camp is quickly approaching and we are still far from back to “normal.” Our main concern is player safety, both in regard to preventing the virus’ transmission as well as preventing injuries after an extended and historically unique layoff.

Like many other industries, football’s resistance to change is based on the belief that the best way to run things is the way we’ve always run things. That pervasive thought process will stop this season in its tracks.

Since March, we have had hours of return to work meetings, reviewed research and developed detailed protocols -- all of which will be wasted if the NFL refuses to think and act differently when it comes to getting through a full season. Players don’t just want to return to work; we want to stay at work.

We did our due diligence and reviewed the impact of returning to play football after an unusually long period away. For example, following the extended break after the 2011 lockout, injuries increased by 25%. Achilles injuries more than doubled and hamstring strains went up 44%.

As a preventative measure during the COVID-19 pandemic, the NFLPA and NFL formed a Joint Committee of doctors, trainers and strength coaches to develop protocols designed to bring players up to full speed in a healthy way when they return. The NFL initially accepted and implemented the Joint Committee’s suggestions, including items like no joint practices and no fans at training camp. However, the NFL was unwilling to follow the Joint Committee's recommendation of a 48-day training camp schedule. Despite these experts’ assessment that teams face a serious risk of player-injury spikes this year (based on past NFL data and recent findings from sports leagues that have already returned to play this year), the NFL is unwilling to prioritize player safety and believes that the virus will bend to football.

Tied to these safe, return-to-work recommendations, there is a similar disagreement in regard to the number of preseason games. The NFL has recently stated it wants to play two preseason games. When we asked for a medical reason to play games that don’t count in the standings during an ongoing pandemic, the NFL failed to provide one. The league did provide a football reason, though -- to evaluate rosters. The NFL also stated that it was important to stage preseason games to check how our game protocols will work.

With no medical reason provided for holding any preseason games and the desire to follow the Joint Committee’s recommendations, the NFLPA Board of Player Representatives unanimously voted against any preseason games this season.

Every decision this year that prioritizes normalcy over innovation, custom over science or even football over health, significantly reduces our chances of completing the full season.

We don’t want to merely return to work and have the season shut down before we even get started. The NFLPA will do its part to advocate for player safety. We will continue to hold the NFL accountable and demand that the league use data, science and the recommendations of its own medical experts to make decisions. It has been clear for months that we need to find a way to fit football inside the world of coronavirus. Making decisions outside that lens is both dangerous and irresponsible.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hurray a new avatar for me

https://twitter.com/ChrisTweetsLLC/status/1280247963739205637?s=20

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tarbrush posted:

Yeah, it seems a less than optimal contract, given that the Chiefs can keep him for his entire career if they want. If the cap skyrockets or he stays MVP level for 10 years, he's locked in with almost no leverage to get out or get a raise. The moment the cap drops, his performance drops or whatever, the Chiefs can opt out, pay 1 year of cap pain and be done with him.

For this reason, I don't think it's that helpful for Dak or Watson. The Cowboys and Texans will just point to all the opt outs and limited guarantees and try to hide all the meaningful money behind team options

It's a really good contract for all parties, imo. The chiefs have a cap friendly deal with potentially the GOAT through 2031. The first three years are the only guarantee (which is the $63m), but the contract isn't one that is going to need renegotiation before 2027 really. After 2023 is the only time I could see Patrick getting cut is if he flames out (not likely). After that his deal is super capfriendly (besides 2027) but he will be getting paid annually in the top 5 of QBs.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DJAX is Costanza lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2J5vViQgJU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Lamar seems dumb:

https://www.tsn.ca/ravens-quarterback-to-hold-florida-social-event-amid-virus-1.1492848

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Welp, looks like I'm a Cleveland fan now.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

lol he highlights the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion-rear end part.

"no no no no my anti-semitic ideas predate Hitler"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Originally I thought he was trying to make an analogy to the US' current situation with Trump blaming Jewish people not that long ago but now.... yeah.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Holy poo poo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chip was right?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1280528852712898561?s=21

Just cut him already so the chiefs can sign him

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I genuinely can't tell whether Ben Garrison is satire. I've never been able to tell. He's Poe's Law personified.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This is the kind of statement you release when someone has a Heated Gaming Moment not when they proudly quote Hitler.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Some lucky team is going to get an amazing 1 and a half games from DeSean this season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Some lucky team is going to get an amazing 1 and a half games from DeSean this season.

Jackson has the strength of will to make it through a full season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Didn't DeSean have some ridiculous take about something else in the last couple of years? Paterno maybe?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fifty Three posted:

I genuinely can't tell whether Ben Garrison is satire. I've never been able to tell. He's Poe's Law personified.

He means 100% of what he draws. There is no irony in what he does. Which sucks because if it was parody it would be utter genius.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Told everyone DeSean sucked rear end now he went and got himself hated on for other reasons and people will now hate on his play for social reasons instead of hating on him for sucking rear end

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Time to slide Jalen Reagor up my pre-draft rankings

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

Told everyone DeSean sucked rear end now he went and got himself hated on for other reasons and people will now hate on his play for social reasons instead of hating on him for sucking rear end

You hate him because he bitched your team. Stop trying to act all smug and "I told you guys"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Didn't DeSean have some ridiculous take about something else in the last couple of years? Paterno maybe?
Seems like he gave an F in the chat when Paterno died but other than that I can't find anything.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I didn’t realize Doltos was Chip Kelly’s parachute account.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has any other NFL player said poo poo about this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

He was always just a rocket that Reid and later Chip schemed open for routes where he ran really fast. I don't think anyone was calling him peak Antonio Brown or whoever else you want to note as a good route runner at any point? But there's a place in the NFL for a guy who has his on the field attributes.

If you wanna argue he was overpaid then sure, but that's true for a whole lot of guys.

Plus if your goal is for him to be hated shouldn't you just enjoy the moment?