Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Stultus Maximus posted:

Another option: taking gen ed classes at community college is the best advice I never got.

Oh absolutely, also we had "running start" where high school kids could take college level classes at a community college and then when they began freshmen year they had a year or more of credits already taken care of. They then had the option of graduating early and saving a ton, or having enough flexibility to double major.

I only completed AP History and Psych, and even those were nice bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Another option: taking gen ed classes at community college is the best advice I never got.

Have to make sure the school you're ultimately graduating from will accept the credits. Some schools won't.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh absolutely, also we had "running start" where high school kids could take college level classes at a community college and then when they began freshmen year they had a year or more of credits already taken care of. They then had the option of graduating early and saving a ton, or having enough flexibility to double major.

I did both! Double majored and graduated early. Saved a bunch of money on a degree I do not use at all.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wish I had done this. I have a friend from my first university before I transferred that had done online homeschooling that had a program like this. She was 18 and two years from a bachelor's in mechanical engineering and was starting a master's program before I even finished my gen eds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Have to make sure the school you're ultimately graduating from will accept the credits. Some schools won't.

When people talk about doing this its always in the context of state systems designed for such transfers which is pretty much every single state.

Still, yes you need to have the equivalency tables out when registering.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nephzinho posted:

I did both! Double majored and graduated early. Saved a bunch of money on a degree I do not use at all.

For the first, in Florida at least, graduating with an AA from a state community college means that any public four year school in Florida is required to accept you. Individual programs do not have to accept you, but the school cannot refuse, and all of your credits transfer.

I can't speak for other states, though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I did this. Saved me close to 50 grand, Pell Grants paid for all of the Gen Ed portion and I walked away with my four year degree only owing about 22 grand. Paid that off within four years of graduating. Felt good, but certainly wish it was the norm for most people.

No one would know I went to CC for my gen ed stuff either unless they looked at my transcripts (not that I'd care either, if someone gave a poo poo about that, gently caress 'em). Also Gen Ed stuff, I had to re-take a couple of classes once I got to my 4-year school and there was zero difference aside from class makeup. In fact, my community college classes were smaller than my university gen ed classes. Go figure.

Mr. Nice! posted:

For the first, in Florida at least, graduating with an AA from a state community college means that any public four year school in Florida is required to accept you. Individual programs do not have to accept you, but the school cannot refuse, and all of your credits transfer.

Same deal in RI and Mass.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
*boop*

https://twitter.com/billritter7/status/1280334805423591426?s=19

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Hooooly poo poo that had to be absolutely terrifying for the passengers. I wonder what sound it makes in the passenger cabin makes when it hits hail at cruising speed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Richard Bong posted:

Hooooly poo poo that had to be absolutely terrifying for the passengers. I wonder what sound it makes in the passenger cabin makes when it hits hail at cruising speed.

*crack**ping*

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm surprised this hasn't blown the gently caress up already: https://bloomingtonian.com/2020/07/05/bloomington-man-threatened-with-noose-during-assault-at-lake-monroe/

quote:

At this point the commotion and the sounds one of the men’s young teenage daughter screaming for her father and the others to let me go started attracting more people, (most whom I didn’t know) who started attempting to intervene. The attackers told the growing group, “we’re going to break his arms” (while literally attempting to bend my arms behind me) and then stated to the members of their party several times to, “get a noose”, amongst some other choice slurs. With me still pinned underneath them they kept telling onlookers to leave the, “boy” and that everyone else (all white) could go. Folks then started filming the confrontation, and shouting that they wouldn’t leave me to be killed.”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The news is... positive.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1280521953921708034?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

Minnesota has the same thing for the state college and university system.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Active shooter on Twentynine Palms, apparently. Just saw it on local tv.

quote:

A suspected gunman was in custody at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms Tuesday morning.

A base spokesperson confirmed there were reports of a shooting on the base at 6:30 a.m.

There were no immediate reports of any injuries.
https://kesq.com/news/2020/07/07/shooting-suspect-in-custody-at-twentynine-palms-marine-training-base/

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 7, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

But wait, there's more!
https://cbs4indy.com/news/dnr-inves...d-racial-slurs/

quote:

As the protest was wrapping up in front of the courthouse, protest organizers tell CBS4 a red car drove through the protest and rammed two people who ended up on the hood. The driver hit the accelerator and turned, which sent two people flying off.

The organizer says a female was taken to the hospital. CBS4 is still working to get more information on her condition and if the driver of the car has been tracked down.

Indiana takes a surprise lead for 'most dangerous Nazis in America' this year.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Not that surprising, 100 years ago 30% of the population and over half the legislature were card-carrying klan members.

https://www.theindychannel.com/longform/the-ku-klux-klan-ran-indiana-once-could-it-happen-again

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1280332929613398017?s=19

Guys like him think yelling like a child is strength, what a loving chode

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm more bothered by his shirt.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Is the main reason colleges are going full speed ahead with restarting sports when classes are a total mess is that if they shut down programs for a year, they would lose recruits to less responsible schools? Seems like the NCAA should step in and preemptively cancel the seasons, but somehow I don't think America's FIFA is going to do that.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Is the main reason colleges are going full speed ahead with restarting sports when classes are a total mess is that if they shut down programs for a year, they would lose recruits to less responsible schools? Seems like the NCAA should step in and preemptively cancel the seasons, but somehow I don't think America's FIFA is going to do that.

They make a metric fuckton of money from football and basketball

If you ask why America does anything re: covid the answer is always "money"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1280332929613398017?s=19

Guys like him think yelling like a child is strength, what a loving chode

https://twitter.com/khoaphan/status/1280542161428049921

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

You'd think that non-police officers would learn that when you get filmed being a gigantic tool, there's gonna be repercussions.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

sharknado slashfic posted:

They make a metric fuckton of money from football and basketball

If you ask why America does anything re: covid the answer is always "money"

tens of billions of dollars are at stake here. its literally the only reason. no one gives a poo poo whether mens lacrosse is going to be cancelled.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

You'd think that non-police officers would learn that when you get filmed being a gigantic tool, there's gonna be repercussions.

Guy is carrying too, look to his right side

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

Guy is carrying too, look to his right side

I am an asset, I say to myself as I check my pistol to make sure there’s a round in the chamber.

I am a sheepdog, I am the wolfhunter, I chant as I tuck my shirt over my firearm.

I will rise to the occasion. I will be the shield upon which threats to Liberty will break, I say as I check to make sure I’m not printing. The sheep need not know of the power I hold.

And then, I put on my tactical flip-flops and take a deep breath as I step out into an unknown world, brimming with threats and danger.

It’s time to go to Costco.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao the OP of the Yikesaroo thread in GBS got permabanned for threatening to take SA LLC and Jeffery to class action lawsuit pound town over the forums rules saying that mods can ban you for anything or nothing at all because the rules are flexible like that you know.

What an idiot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I am an asset, I say to myself as I check my pistol to make sure there’s a round in the chamber.

I am a sheepdog, I am the wolfhunter, I chant as I tuck my shirt over my firearm.

I will rise to the occasion. I will be the shield upon which threats to Liberty will break, I say as I check to make sure I’m not printing. The sheep need not know of the power I hold.

And then, I put on my tactical flip-flops and take a deep breath as I step out into an unknown world, brimming with threats and danger.

Meanwhile, an actual sheepdog/wolfhunter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzF4TPk8z0

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

orange juche posted:

Lmao the OP of the Yikesaroo thread in GBS got permabanned for threatening to take SA LLC and Jeffery to class action lawsuit pound town over the forums rules saying that mods can ban you for anything or nothing at all because the rules are flexible like that you know.

What an idiot.

:psyduck:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Oh, some people found Maxwell's twitter account

https://twitter.com/JasonBinn/status/677370870285869056

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/jadedcreative/status/1277655321796886529

If this hasn't shown up here yet, her comedic delivery is on point. The kids are alright

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

What an idiot.

I actually said WHAT IN THE HELL?! out loud reading thing because really, WHAT IN THE HELL?!

PLEASE MISTER POPEHAT, REPRESENT ME IN THIS LAWSUIT AGAINST SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM, THEY BANNED ME AND TOOK MY TEN DOLLARS

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I actually said WHAT IN THE HELL?! out loud reading thing because really, WHAT IN THE HELL?!

PLEASE MISTER POPEHAT, REPRESENT ME IN THIS LAWSUIT AGAINST SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM, THEY BANNED ME AND TOOK MY TEN DOLLARS

Quote from man permabanned:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The first thing I noticed about the anti-Karen tweet is she's in a right-side-drive car.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oof

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1280333230663782401

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The first thing I noticed about the anti-Karen tweet is she's in a right-side-drive car.

I'm not sure if its RHD or if it's a flip filter on the video, I know you can do a mirror flip on videos.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Quote from man permabanned:

JakeP posted:

There honestly probably is a legit class action suit with regards to how this forum has been moderated, relating to registration and account upgrade costs. There really is not a proper Terms and Conditions thing that you agree to, and the official rules that are listed are not enforced as listed. The mods just basically arbitrarily ban people based on the rules that they decided in their own head, but are not actually posted in the official forums rules that are listed here: https://www.somethingawful.com/d/forum-rules/forum-rules.php

Basically anyone who was ever banned would likely be able to successfully sue for any money they paid into Something Awful. Now as a singular lawsuit that makes no real sense, but as a class action, there would be a lot of money in jeopardy.

I don't know. Any time I have been banned, I have tried to contact customer service and never received any reply, so my bank agreed that I should be refunded the money I had spent. Pretty sure Something Awful at any point in time could face a lawsuit that would completely bankrupt the company. If I was Jeffrey I would not even consider buying this disaster of a company, he is opening himself up to a lot of liability (eg losing his entire investment)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nephzinho posted:

I seriously doubt this. I know what you mean, but even so there's a benefit to education that isn't always obvious. Don't give the STEMlord morons more ammunition

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1280583136095674369

Donnie needs glasses so bad it's hilarious

luv 2 BOB WOOD WARD

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What's printing in this context?

He might be the biggest piece of poo poo on his network and that's saying something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's printing in this context?

He might be the biggest piece of poo poo on his network and that's saying something.

"Printing" means showing any signs of being armed.

And yeah, Fox News is like a knockoff WWE with all heels trying to out-heel each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tucker Carlson is hateful fascist sewage, the GOP's own Goebbels, and one of the worst people in America and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. But I'd probably piss on him if he wasn't.