Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

thespaceinvader posted:

There were definitely YA-styled fantasy novels (the majority of David Eddings' canon comes to mind) but they weren't realyl marketed that way.

Harry Potter was really the kickoff of the category, though you could argue its roots go back as far as the hobbit.

That or things like Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and so forth, the latter in particular was old when I was reading them as a kid.

Earthsea probably falls into that group too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Seems it's real this time :lol:
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1280522352837697536?s=20

Come on corona you spared one right wing shitlord, take this one :pray:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda want a mask with a miniature image of my own face on it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Biggus Dickus posted:

Have you ever considered making flapjacks?

Flapjacks are super easy to make. It's the only thing I regularly bake. Absolutely gorgeous for surprisingly little effort. I really need to experiment with the recipe a bit, see what stuff you can add more than just chocolate and hazelnuts and raisins.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sinky posted:

He's reportedly taking hydroxychloroquine for it:

https://twitter.com/portaldaband/status/1280284990031478793?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Flapjacks are super easy to make. It's the only thing I regularly bake. Absolutely gorgeous for surprisingly little effort. I really need to experiment with the recipe a bit, see what stuff you can add more than just chocolate and hazelnuts and raisins.

If you really wanted to you could make flapjacks and then melt some camrath fudge onto the top of them.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Obviously it's good if bolsanaro dies horribly, but is there a more competent fascist waiting in the wings to take over?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Obviously it's good if bolsanaro dies horribly, but is there a more competent fascist waiting in the wings to take over?

Retired general this guy is Vice President. He seems to like the concept of using the army to govern.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

One of the thing that comes up a lot in the background is the constant mentions of executions. You see hanged bodies in the streets of Gilead all the time.

When it comes to their crime you get listings like child killer (IE was a doctor who performed abortions.) adulterer (had an affair) and gender traitors. (Which I think is anyone who was LGBTQA and couldn’t reproduce.)

So, I’m fairly confident that in THT, Transgender people were being horribly oppressed and murdered along with most people in that totalitarian regime.

While I don’t think either the book or the show go into it explicitly,THT is largely inspired by Iran, post-Shah. Which does apparently have a culture where being trans is a medical issue requiring treatment, whereas being gay is a sin requiring punishment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Iran seems to have a dose of the Nazi trope where being trans is just being so gay that you become a woman, except with the transmedicalist idea that "and we can do something about it" bolted on to ensure that everyone is straight and fits a rigid gender binary. It's bad.

It's what TERFs think Mermaids does. Not sure about the status of trans men in Iran.

Trans people in Gilead just get hanged as gender criminals like women who wear trousers.

e: Apparently trans men in Iran are less marginalized than trans men in many other places, but for bad patriarchal "of course everyone wants to be a man, being a man is awesome" reasons:

Zara Saeidzadeh, 2019 posted:

While not unproblematic, trans masculinity is a relevant issue of scholarly research for a number of reasons. First, my fieldwork suggests that trans men are less marginalized in Iranian society. This is in contrast to some other countries, such as the United States, where trans men face considerable ostracism. In addition, my interviews with self-identified heterosexual trans men in Tehran suggest that there is little in the way of solidarity between them and trans women. Almost all the participants distanced themselves from trans women and men who adopt practices associated with femininity. For many of them, trans men are ‘real’ trans persons while trans women are ‘fake’.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 7, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If you really wanted to you could make flapjacks and then melt some camrath fudge onto the top of them.

That'd probably really nice but also probably a waste of what sounds like quality fudge. Plus probably more fun to just freestyle it and throw in IDK, a bit of orange zest or something.

Use to get some quite nice Snickers branded flapjacks which were a normal flapjack with peanuts and then on top a layer of caramel and chocolate. Haven't seen them in probably 15 years though.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

forkboy84 posted:

I like to put pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and a little scooch of coffee in mine if I actually like, plan them.

Otherwise it's a "whatever dried fruit and nuts that I have" type job which is also usually good. They are fairly hard to mess up!

bionic vapour boy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 7, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just got an email from my work, they're planning to make 250 redundancies as they're not expecting the construction sector to pick up to "pre 2019" levels.

My particular department isn't among the ones listed for redundancies, but it's only a matter of time.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Just got an email from my work, they're planning to make 250 redundancies as they're not expecting the construction sector to pick up to "pre 2019" levels.

My particular department isn't among the ones listed for redundancies, but it's only a matter of time.

The National Trust announced a non-specific but considerable number of roles will be made redundant like a month or more ago and we're still waiting for details as to who that's going to affect. It's not a fun wait! I have been unfurloughed since then which is hopefully a good sign.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

NHS Trusts are preparing for job cuts so no matter what your job is you should be unionising and organising because absolutely nothing is safe unless you can defend yourselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AidanCTweets/status/1280443739287289856

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

sinky posted:

https://twitter.com/tomphillipsin/status/1280526914734698497

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1280510531045142529?s=19

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

The Question IRL posted:

Reading that Tweet has reminded me of something I was thinking about.

I honestly believe/hope that in 10-20 years time, we will look back on media now and feel it’s problematic for all it’s fatphobic content in the same way we are doing that with media with problematic racial/sexist content.

The 80s version of Britain's Got Talent was called Opportunity Knocks and every Saturday night you'd have comedians, singers and variety acts do their turn and then face the judges. Just like now where you have Simon Cowell to play the role of the heel and be scathingly harsh about all but the best acts, Opportunity Knocks had a woman called Nina Myscow, who did much the same.

There's a famous clip from one of those "I love the 80s" clip shows where they spend a while going you know, hey do you remember how awful Nina Myscow was with her OPINIONS. But it ends with a clip of her slating a Bernard Manning type comedian the audience loved, almost shouting to make herself heard over a whole theatre booing, saying "that was racist and in ten years you'll look back on this and see I'm right"

I really think we're gonna have a lot of those moments in a decade

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I know that this is early days and it is obviously hugely dependent on who is reporting what, but I read some live Tweets from the Johnny Depp versus the Sun Libel trial.
Looks like the Scum could be in trouble here.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.ft.com/content/3d67d1c1-98ff-439a-90a1-099c18621ee9

China envoy warns of ‘consequences’ if Britain rejects Huawei

Britain will “bear the consequences” if it treats China as a “hostile” country in deciding whether to allow telecoms equipment maker Huawei a role in UK 5G phone networks, China’s ambassador in London has warned.

Liu Xiaoming cautioned that any U-turn would damage Britain’s image as a proponent of free trade and cast doubts over the independence of its foreign policy. He added it was “not in the UK’s interest” to make an enemy of Beijing.

The intervention comes after an official security inquiry in the UK raised “very, very serious” questions about whether Huawei can continue with its limited role as a supplier of 5G networks as a result of new US sanctions announced in May.

Speaking last week, prime minister Boris Johnson said Britain was concerned about security around “hostile state vendors”.

Addressing reporters during a video conference call on Monday, Mr Liu said: “We want to be your friend. We want to be your partner. But if you want to make China a hostile country, you will have to bear the consequences.”

He added: “The China business community are all watching how you handle Huawei. If you get rid of Huawei it sends out a very bad message to other Chinese businesses.”

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sebzilla posted:

The National Trust announced a non-specific but considerable number of roles will be made redundant like a month or more ago and we're still waiting for details as to who that's going to affect. It's not a fun wait! I have been unfurloughed since then which is hopefully a good sign.

Yeah the worst part is the waiting - been in that position before at the start of the last finacial crash. Makes the workplace worse as well - there's the tension and nervousness in the atmosphere, as people (rightly) worry.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I have a Huawei phone and it's very good for what I paid for it, Xi can have my secrets for all I care

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Let's see what the deputy political editor for The Times has to say today:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1280528161961361408?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Who the gently caress is taking three hours to drink a cup of tea

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wow chancellor eats lunch and drinks tea.

Amazing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah the worst part is the waiting - been in that position before at the start of the last finacial crash. Makes the workplace worse as well - there's the tension and nervousness in the atmosphere, as people (rightly) worry.

Literally everybody is working from home (apart from property staff I guess) so who the gently caress knows what's going on? It's great.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Media really holding politicians to account there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Amazing.

He's just like me, I must vote for him!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Amazing.
A couple of the previous ones were more diet coke men.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Who the gently caress is taking three hours to drink a cup of tea

If it's heated (which presumably it must be to consume power) why does it only work for three hours?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

A couple of the previous ones were more diet coke men.

ITYM coke diet men.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It probably runs out of battery after 3 hours.

Which makes it arguably a worse thermos with a capacity for explosions.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sebzilla posted:

If it's heated (which presumably it must be to consume power) why does it only work for three hours?

I assume that's how long its charge lasts for

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

ThomasPaine posted:

I have a Huawei phone and it's very good for what I paid for it, Xi can have my secrets for all I care

Gotta say the same. If I didn't have to need around with getting Google services on the newest series, is probably start with them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jippa posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/3d67d1c1-98ff-439a-90a1-099c18621ee9

China envoy warns of ‘consequences’ if Britain rejects Huawei

Britain will “bear the consequences” if it treats China as a “hostile” country in deciding whether to allow telecoms equipment maker Huawei a role in UK 5G phone networks, China’s ambassador in London has warned.

Liu Xiaoming cautioned that any U-turn would damage Britain’s image as a proponent of free trade and cast doubts over the independence of its foreign policy. He added it was “not in the UK’s interest” to make an enemy of Beijing.

The intervention comes after an official security inquiry in the UK raised “very, very serious” questions about whether Huawei can continue with its limited role as a supplier of 5G networks as a result of new US sanctions announced in May.

Speaking last week, prime minister Boris Johnson said Britain was concerned about security around “hostile state vendors”.

Addressing reporters during a video conference call on Monday, Mr Liu said: “We want to be your friend. We want to be your partner. But if you want to make China a hostile country, you will have to bear the consequences.”

He added: “The China business community are all watching how you handle Huawei. If you get rid of Huawei it sends out a very bad message to other Chinese businesses.”

China: "If you keep acting like we're your enemy it makes you look stupid and untrustworthy. we aren't gonna want to trade with you as much,"
UK: "You heard it! They think we're enemies!"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WhatEvil posted:

Let's see what the deputy political editor for The Times has to say today:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1280528161961361408?s=20

product placement in government dispatches makes so much sense but trump beat us to it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
can't wait to see Boris announce the worst possible implementation of covid dividends tomorrow

it's gonna be £500 per property to landlords to compensate them for their tenants not being able to afford rent

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Please contribute to my PS5 fund bojo tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Julio Cruz posted:

can't wait to see Boris announce the worst possible implementation of covid dividends tomorrow

it's gonna be £500 per property to landlords to compensate them for their tenants not being able to afford rent

Why are people saying something will be announced tomorrow? Why is that an important date?