Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Scorch is good on complex in the middle hall and that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I used to like Scorch but Ion and Monarch are both more fun.
Apparently I'm still in the old LLJK Goon group, guess nobody got kicked?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I had to make myself play something besides scorch and every titan in this game is fuckin good

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
tbh i am having a hard time using anything but the car

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gamerofthegame posted:

No shame brother, no shame, CAR 4 lyfe.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Alternator is good if you're a car fan. They're fairly similar

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mastiff and EPG, if you're not leading your shots are you even piloting?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just did a reset but as soon as I unlock the mastiff that's the only gun I'm using

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Picked this game up, I’m really good at killing other pilots but the second titans come out I go to poo poo.

When I’m in my own titan (trying either Ion or Tone right now) I do 0 damage but get absolutely destroyed in every match up and get continually one shot as a pilot as I desperately try and do something against the other team’s robots. Any tips on pilot vs titan fighting or just on how to not explode so much?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

speaking of hot tips

is there One Easy Trick to the Northstar shooting dudes because that seems kinda difficult

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Titan gameplay is much slower than pilots, you need to use hard cover and peak a lot. Being caught in the open is death.

The pilot v Titan gameplay is basically the pilots trying to headglitch and pop out and take shots to chip down the Titan before they get one shot. As a pilot I like to grab either the mag launcher or thunderbolt. The launcher does tons of damage and if you can get above a Titans view level you can arc it and be mostly safe. Thunderbolt you pop out and send it down lanes where Titans are congregating. As a Titan, always scan the rooftops and try not to get into the middle of teams. Ion is the premier pilot killing Titan if you have the aim because the shoulder laser is possibly the best thing in the game?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
When you're in a titan buildings are your buddies

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
In my experience Ion can obliterate enemy titans no problem, it's gun just shits out damage when you ADS.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thunderbolt is great because it does area damage as it travels and you can send two or three of those fuckers toward a preoccupied Titan before they even get a hit indicator.

Also if they aren't currently fighting another Titan, have an exit plan after taking a shot or you'll immediately get flicked on and vaporized.

E: oh yeah, and satchel doesn't have a hit indicator, so try that out when you unlock it

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 6, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The past couple weeks I've been getting back into this, after putting it down for three years, on PC. Ohhhh it's good. I usually score in the lower-middle of the pack (in Attrition), but every now and then I get on a hot streak and I'm just unstoppable. Or maybe I get matched with idiots, either way.

Anyway I only ever played Scorch back before, but I'm on Ion now and I don't think I'll go back. I'm finding that most fights take place at long range, and it's nice being able to actually shoot pilots instead of hoping they come into melee range. Maybe area denial is better on the other game-modes, but Aus-Pacific servers are basically 100% Attrition.

Is there a good guide to Monarch anywhere?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

speaking of hot tips

is there One Easy Trick to the Northstar shooting dudes because that seems kinda difficult

Accept that the reticules are bad and find a way to get a dot in the middle of the screen

This also applies to the smgs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hilariously for being the sniper titan, Northstar's main weapon needs you to lead your target because apparently a rail gun projectile is as slow as a pilot's machine gun bullets. Ion's laser shot is the sniper rifle in the game and Ion's vortex shield makes a mockery of any rails Northstar sends your way.

What I'm trying to say is Northstar is kinda weak to play as unless you can always use your team's titans as cover for sniping. If it's a 1v1 you're more than likely going to get shat on.

And Thunderbolt does gently caress all damage but launch it down a corridor just over the heads of any titans and it builds titan meter like no other weapon in the game. It's a question of whether you want to do damage to titans by risking your pilot skills with any other anti-titan weapon or you're better in a titan so need one ASAP with the thunderbolt.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hilariously for being the sniper titan, Northstar's main weapon needs you to lead your target because apparently a rail gun projectile is as slow as a pilot's machine gun bullets. Ion's laser shot is the sniper rifle in the game and Ion's vortex shield makes a mockery of any rails Northstar sends your way.

What I'm trying to say is Northstar is kinda weak to play as unless you can always use your team's titans as cover for sniping. If it's a 1v1 you're more than likely going to get shat on.

And Thunderbolt does gently caress all damage but launch it down a corridor just over the heads of any titans and it builds titan meter like no other weapon in the game. It's a question of whether you want to do damage to titans by risking your pilot skills with any other anti-titan weapon or you're better in a titan so need one ASAP with the thunderbolt.

Northstar is absolutely a Titan you play sneaky with. If any come after you, unless you can kill it before it gets too close, then run away. That's what the tethers are for, to slow them down. (the other reason is hopefully to trap them for a cluster missile)

Your jump jets allow you to cross some lanes that shouldn't be possible (one way drops down ledges)

If you play it right, you can deal about 5 titans worth of damage before going down. Your strength is dealing lots of damage from afar with little retaliation.

It helps a lot if you get good at picking off pilots with the railgun because otherwise it can be difficult to deal with them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You can run enhanced self destruct on Northstar and when you’re gonna die you hit another Titan with the grapple trap, dash at them, and eject. Huge rear end in a top hat move but it works!

Just don’t get sync killed, that’ll stop your self destruct from going off.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
You really want to run with the better dash. Keeping distance/walls is how you maximize survivability to chip away at titans not looking at you. Despite the travel time the railgun projectile expansion makes pilots pretty easy to hit at a distance. Combined with the generously low cooldown on the cluster missiles Northstar is one of the better pilot fuckers out there.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In TF1 titans had regenerating shields so plasma railgun was valuable for its ability to punch through and deal chips of permanent damage. In TF2 all damage is sticky so it's a bit less of an advantage.

Bring back quad rockets you cowards.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

One loading screen tip from Titanfall 1 that I'm not sure is in 2: throw clusters into small rooms and hallways that you know Pilots are in. They'll die!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's one of the guns that really needs to be toned down - in any competitive game probably 75% of players will be using the CAR - so from an effectiveness perspective you're making the right choice.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Northstar takes a while to get used to but is okay once you've spent enough time with it. It's not so good v pilots because of the projectile travel time (albeit the projectile is very large so you'll hit some shots that are off-target), but it's one of the best for titan v titan. You'll still occasionally drop in an annoying spot where you're immediately wrecked by a legion or whatever even once you're good at it but that's just the game. I only wish its core was something that could work at range a bit better. Having something you need to fire from a few metres away while sloooowwwllly floating in the air does not complement Northstar's strengths at all. Frothy did some videos on how to use it that are helpful - at least to some extent. A lot of things in this game in general and with titans specifically depend on having a feel for how it moves and matches up such that giving someone pointers in the abstract won't necessarily be useful.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 7, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh I'm not saying Northstar is useless at all, you definitely need a good team in order to make use of him/her though. Dropping Northstar first is a good way to get your poo poo pushed in, ideally you want fellow titans soaking up the damage and distracting the other team's titans and pilots so you can just plink away at distance. And I've definitely fell foul of the tether/nuke eject combo which is entirely my fault for being punch happy. It was only recently I noticed people using nuke eject again, I genuinely thought it was a fad that had passed though if new kids are playing that might explain why.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I really like how Scorch and Northstar are probably the frontier defense MVPs depending on map and in comp that kinda flips

it's good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Northstar is kinda balls when you're not at a distance, but the worst part about Northstar is that her Core and Jump Jets make her such a stupidly easy target you're probably going to eat tons of poo poo up in the air. Northstar should have been faster and go higher to make up for it, not to mention there's so many areas in maps where neither can even be used because of low ceilings.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Northstar being the sniper titan and requiring other titans be as close as possible to make best use of the core ability and nuke eject has always been amusing to me.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

my only real complaint about this game is how the second phase of any given match degrades into just titans and titanless people shooting titans to get titan points to become titan again

mostly because I actually enjoy the gunplay and while titans are cool and fun they do get a bit monotonous given the lack of variety, relatively. . .

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

solution: become the rodeo champion

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
There’s the Pilots V Pilots gamemode and Apex Legends if you want to play a Titanfall game without Titans.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wazzit posted:

There’s the Pilots V Pilots gamemode and Apex Legends if you want to play a Titanfall game without Titans.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Melee still wonky as gently caress. Some things never change

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Field Mousepad posted:

Melee still wonky as gently caress. Some things never change

Melee is easily the worst part of this otherwise excellent game.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Melee fights are like when formerly blind people get their sight back and then spun in a circle for a minute before being told to “ok punch and kick that guy”.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

John DiFool posted:

Melee is easily the worst part of this otherwise excellent game.

It's a very minor gripe but yeah it's dumb

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Punching the gently caress out of a cocky pilot trying to rodeo your titan still satisfying, though

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Execution kills tho.....

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
This is the first modern, non-VR FPS I've played since like Modern Warfare 3, and hoo boy I am not good at this genre anymore. Still fun though; if this had a co-op campaign I'm pretty sure my brother and I would play it on and off for years.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Shine posted:

This is the first modern, non-VR FPS I've played since like Modern Warfare 3, and hoo boy I am not good at this genre anymore. Still fun though; if this had a co-op campaign I'm pretty sure my brother and I would play it on and off for years.

Frontier defense is co-op PvE. Not a full campaign but it’s fun now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Is there a goon group now for PC? Reinstalled it and my muscle memory is coming back for maximum Spider-Man grapple and swing.