Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Arist is running a Screenshot LP on this board and on LPBeach. Though it is informative and not blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hogama posted:

Always been there but the requirements are pretty high and the window to meet is pretty small so it's easy to miss.

played this game almost four times by now and never noticed. what are the requirements, what do they say

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tylana posted:

Arist is running a Screenshot LP on this board and on LPBeach. Though it is informative and not blind.

LPBeach is that discord that was made to distance the community from lowtax and Ilin case the forums went down, right? I think I joined it but haven't really kept an eye on it.

ThaumPenguin posted:

I quite enjoyed this one, lots of good voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ETpz_DKWI

I'll check it out, thanks!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

Just finished my first play through this game. It was a really moving experience and a lot of fun.

Did anyone else feel like the thought cabinet was too skill point intensive to let you really try new thoughts once it filled up? Looking up stuff now it seems rather easy to min-max with a guide in hand, but once you’ve got a “status quo” with a full cabinet the opportunity cost of switching them out is so high.

I was also surprised that there’s no achievement for abstaining from drugs and alcohol the whole game.

I don't mind the skill point investment for removing a thought, what I do mind is that the removed thought is gone forever, there's no way to reacquire it. It makes it really hard to experiment, especially when the effects of internalizing thoughts are hidden.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
For sure! That was a huge disappointment to find out the hard way, when I ignored the text notification.

Also it was extremely disappointing to learn that Lt. Kitsuragi doesn’t appreciate being called Kimball, which meant I wouldn’t get to call him that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You WILL respect Lieutenant Kitsuragi's feelings on the matter, detective.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

paradoxGentleman posted:

LPBeach is that discord that was made to distance the community from lowtax and Ilin case the forums went down, right? I think I joined it but haven't really kept an eye on it.

It's also now a forum. https://lpbeach.co.uk/index.php

But if you just want to read Arist's LP the SA thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905516 has more posts atm anyway

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

World War Mammories posted:

played this game almost four times by now and never noticed. what are the requirements, what do they say

Edit - JFC, I'm still learning things about this game 4 playthroughs in. If Kim is away when you read the letter in the hidden ledger compartment, it summons him back.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 7, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Xander77 posted:

Edit - JFC, I'm still learning things about this game 4 playthroughs in. If Kim is away when you read the letter in the hidden ledger compartment, it summons him back.

:aaa: I never knew this was a thing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Entorwellian posted:

:aaa: I never knew this was a thing.

yeah what

i did 3 playthroughs and never saw this, when people were talking about it earlier i thought they meant the extra merc peering through the curtains

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't mind the skill point investment for removing a thought, what I do mind is that the removed thought is gone forever, there's no way to reacquire it. It makes it really hard to experiment, especially when the effects of internalizing thoughts are hidden.

Yes, when I realized Mazovian Socio-Economics probably wasn't going to pay off and booted it out, I found out the game flags some of its communist reactions as "has said a lot of communist things" and some as "has unlocked Mazovian Socio-Economics" and some as "has internalized Masovian Socio-Economics".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

El_Elegante posted:

Just finished my first play through this game. It was a really moving experience and a lot of fun.

Did anyone else feel like the thought cabinet was too skill point intensive to let you really try new thoughts once it filled up? Looking up stuff now it seems rather easy to min-max with a guide in hand, but once you’ve got a “status quo” with a full cabinet the opportunity cost of switching them out is so high.

I was also surprised that there’s no achievement for abstaining from drugs and alcohol the whole game.

Yeah, thought cabinet points can feel really tight because there are so many other empty point holes to fill.

You don't get an achievement for abstaining from drugs and alcohol, but you do get Kim attesting that you've stayed clean in the final debrief, which is just as good.

Also, combining those two points, there is a thought that turns off the bonuses from drugs and alcohol in exchange for other benefits. Did you find it? There are two people who might help you get clean but it's probably not who you'd expect.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
On the otherhand, if you mainline speed and anti-radiation drugs like a maniac you get a pretty great conversation with Kim about why you do it and wether it makes you a better cop (it does).

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Anything remotely DE-like on the Steam sale I should get before it's over? (Already reinstalled Torment).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always thought the thought cabinet was fine the way it is. This is a game that, like Witcher 2, really needs to be replayed anyway to get the most out of it, so I enjoyed there being some consequences to picking and removing thoughts. In an RPG like Pathfinder, I far prefer to have some kind of respec option. But Disco is a fail-forward through multiple playthroughs kinda game and greatly benefits from that.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Eh, the Thought Cabinet is one of the weaker mechanics in DE. It’s a cool concept, but it ends up just being a slightly more flavorful version of a passive perk system .

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What do you think would improve it?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Making discarded thoughts stay in your “inventory,” taking away the point cost of either discarding a thought or of putting a new one into an empty slot. It doesn’t massively effect the game, it’s a nice incentive for multiple playthroughs, it’s just not how I’d have done it.

It’s possible that it wasn’t fun in play testing.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, that's just the clothes except now you also strip your brain and put in new thoughts every conversation instead of putting on your lying kimono.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If permanently discarding thoughts gave you a skill point, that might be cool, and encourage you to see more of the thoughts in a playthrough. It'd be like keys in The Shadow of Yesterday.

I love making compulsively ruminating on thoughts into a mechanic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should be able to have unlimited thoughts in your cabinet, but once you go over a certain limit you start going insane. Especially if you've internalized contradictory thoughts.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fister Roboto posted:

You should be able to have unlimited thoughts in your cabinet, but once you go over a certain limit you start going insane. Especially if you've internalized contradictory thoughts.

If Harry went insane, would you even notice?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Accidentally went over my inland empire sprawl, lads

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for some reason one of my thought cabinet slots, middle second from the top, just cannot be unlocked. it's greyed out. presumably that means i am down two thought cabinet slots this run? has anyone encountered this?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The game had a weird order for unlocking the cabinet slots when I played it. Test out each empty slot to unlock.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

El_Elegante posted:

The game had a weird order for unlocking the cabinet slots when I played it. Test out each empty slot to unlock.

there are no more empty slots, that one is just greyed out and of course the one above it isn't accessible because of that.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, that's just the clothes except now you also strip your brain and put in new thoughts every conversation instead of putting on your lying kimono.

Theres a way to fix both these issues.

Discarding a thought doesnt remove it altogether, but requires you to re-internalize it later if you want it again. This would make sure you cant juat plug one in whener you need it and tou would have to weigh the time expense.

Clothes can only be worn at the beginning of each day. You select what you want and you are stuck with it for the day, for better or worse. Like instead of having you carry around 5 jackets in your inventory, all your clothes are in your closet or whatever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TommyGun85 posted:

Theres a way to fix both these issues.

Discarding a thought doesnt remove it altogether, but requires you to re-internalize it later if you want it again. This would make sure you cant juat plug one in whener you need it and tou would have to weigh the time expense.

I could get down with this, but I’d prefer if the cost of reinternalizing a skill cost an additional point each time you did it. Even if the skill is different. This puts a bit more pressure on the decision and still allows a bit of flexibility. And of course don’t have this option available in hardcore mode.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Making it so that players can only change their clothes in the morning seems like it'd give a mechanical incentive to looking up guides on what's coming next. After all, few people enjoy being forced to make important choices without anywhere near sufficient information. Something tells me that's part of why you pretty much never see mechanics like that implemented.

Then there's the inevitable frustration that'd come with picking up some cool new article of clothing and being unable to put it on, even in situations where it'd make perfect sense in-universe to do so. What about cases like when you're given the Dick Mullen hat? Does it just go into your inventory? How would that be explained in the scene itself? Or would it instead automatically replace the headwear you painstakingly chose that morning, something which might very well cause player frustration?

I genuinely cannot see an implementation where a mechanic like that wouldn't cause far more problems than it'd solve. There's a reason for why ZA/UM chose the simple-and-easy implementation they did.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Clothing is fine as is, we just need a “wardrobe” feature where we can tweak and store outfits for style and skills.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just get rid of the stats on clothes and make them purely cosmetic. Fashion disco is the true endgame.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

some of my favorite writing is explaining the stats on clothes

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Fister Roboto posted:

Just get rid of the stats on clothes and make them purely cosmetic. Fashion disco is the true endgame.

It brought me joy to wear a complete set of FALN apparel.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what the hell are those mysterious pair of eyes and what you have to do to talk to them

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I turned the light on...

10/10

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I turned the light on...

10/10

Nice speedrun.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

:eyepop: holy poo poo

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Finished the game as a logical quick shooter ultimately with a hefty amount of save scumming because I just wanted to get a run done where I got to the end. Story is top notch, I particularly liked how things wrapped together.

Things I didn't like:
Doing a costume shuffle every time I wanted to pass a check
The way that most of the time the game gives you multiple ways to solve a problem depending on what kind of cop you are, but every so often there's an extremely crucial roll that comes up that might just stop you cold and you can't know it's coming until it's there.
FAST TRAVEL

e: I've been up until 2am the last couple of nights absolutely gripped by the need to get to the end of this one. I'm sure I'll come back to it and play 'properly' now that I understand the systems and I've taken a bit of a break.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The way that most of the time the game gives you multiple ways to solve a problem depending on what kind of cop you are, but every so often there's an extremely crucial roll that comes up that might just stop you cold and you can't know it's coming until it's there.

I'm pretty sure there's only actually one roll you need to pass. There's a couple others that look like you do, but if you've gotten all the bonuses the game just goes "eh, you failed, but we need to get this show on the road"