Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm on a Pixel 4XL and since I've gotten off my rear end to start working out again, I've been driven crazy by notification tones taking precedent over video, music, etc., either by lowering the sound or pausing for a second. For music I use Poweramp and have the short audio focus switched off but still does it. For video it's either Youtube or Plex. I've looked in their settings but see nothing. Am I missing a setting here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If I'm listening to music or whatever I'll usually just stick it on vibrate

Press power and vol up together for a nice shortcut :coal:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

calandryll posted:

I'm on a Pixel 4XL and since I've gotten off my rear end to start working out again, I've been driven crazy by notification tones taking precedent over video, music, etc., either by lowering the sound or pausing for a second. For music I use Poweramp and have the short audio focus switched off but still does it. For video it's either Youtube or Plex. I've looked in their settings but see nothing. Am I missing a setting here?

This drives me nuts too. I use Simple Audio book Player because I can tell it to not pause or lower the audio on notifications.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Can't you just put your phone on silent mode during your workout? Pretty sure you can still listen to music.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wacky Delly posted:

Talk to an attorney.

Yeah, he didn't call me today about it like i was expecting he would, so i assume he came to the same conclusion.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Dramicus posted:

Can't you just put your phone on silent mode during your workout? Pretty sure you can still listen to music.

That's probably what I'll end up doing, or to vibrate. I swear before 10 it was never an issue.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So I just sent for my second replacement Pixel 4XL back via my carrier's stayconnected scheme (if your phone dies, fill in a webform, they send out a replacement in 24-48 hours with a box to send back the broken one).

Like last time, first symptom was the battery meter getting stuck on 50% for a few days, rebooting safe mode etc did nothing to fix it, even temporarily. Last time it started shutting down any time I put it in my pocket, then one day wouldn't come back, but this time it just up and died on my at my in-law's and discharged completely with about 3 hours SOT.

Both times, after popping it on charge for a while it will boot up if you hold the power button in - but as soon as you let go it will shut down immediately, and it'll typically get to the unlock screen and shut down. I'm a bit annoyed because while I get I'm only entitled to a refurb replacement, but to have this happen twice in a row indicates to me that there's a pretty serious flaw with the Pixel 4XL. I haven't seen this specifically mentioned in here, but there are a few google results - has anyone else had this issue?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

So I just sent for my second replacement Pixel 4XL back via my carrier's stayconnected scheme (if your phone dies, fill in a webform, they send out a replacement in 24-48 hours with a box to send back the broken one).

Like last time, first symptom was the battery meter getting stuck on 50% for a few days, rebooting safe mode etc did nothing to fix it, even temporarily. Last time it started shutting down any time I put it in my pocket, then one day wouldn't come back, but this time it just up and died on my at my in-law's and discharged completely with about 3 hours SOT.

Both times, after popping it on charge for a while it will boot up if you hold the power button in - but as soon as you let go it will shut down immediately, and it'll typically get to the unlock screen and shut down. I'm a bit annoyed because while I get I'm only entitled to a refurb replacement, but to have this happen twice in a row indicates to me that there's a pretty serious flaw with the Pixel 4XL. I haven't seen this specifically mentioned in here, but there are a few google results - has anyone else had this issue?

Mine's been fine and I've also never heard of this kind of failure and while I can't say I've read everything everywhere, I'd be surprised if this was common and I hadn't heard about it. How are you charging these phones?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah, this seems to be something that's brought up on Reddit a lot on r/GooglePixel.

Someone who fixes phones made a post there (that I both reposted here and reported to AP) that there's a component in the P4XL that causes battery issues and there's a high chance that all P4XLs have it (but maybe not all are affected?). AP refuses to run the story as Artem e-mailed me back and said it's basically not true and no one is having the issue.

This is the post that I reposted here a few months ago:

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/gsktp3/wonder_why_your_pixel_4_xl_is_randomly_turning/

Apparently the Pixel 4 XL has bad connectors for its battery and thus has issues with randomly turning off, rebooting, and having battery issues.

quote:

The battery connectors are so brittle that they crumble like saltine crackers. This is the fourth I've replaced at my store under warranty so far.

The replacement batteries are in 4 different batches, each of which has the number written on the connector. And each is a different width and so requires "Battery Shim 1-3" installed to not move around and break again. Or supposedly #4 is the right size in the first place and doesn't need a shim (I haven't gotten any of those yet).

(I'm a Google Certified Technician and fix Pixel phones daily)

Both the user who posted it and the actual post has been removed. The comments still remain with many people saying they're also facing or have faced the issues mentioned. Some on their third device.

I don't personally know what's up but it's something I've kept my eye on at the least. I've had my Pixel 4 XL since April 2020 and haven't had any issues with it. Though, all of the Android that I've had issues with have come from Google directly (Nexus 4 had speaker crackling which got RMA'd and got a new device with the little bumps on the back, Pixel 2 non XL had worse speaker crackling and was RMA'd three times, each refurbished device had worse issues than the last). My Pixel 4 XL is from new Amazon and I'm hoping it'll be better (also Amazon has better customer service so that might be less insane to deal with).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, this seems to be something that's brought up on Reddit a lot on r/GooglePixel.

Someone who fixes phones made a post there (that I both reposted here and reported to AP) that there's a component in the P4XL that causes battery issues and there's a high chance that all P4XLs have it (but maybe not all are affected?). AP refuses to run the story as Artem e-mailed me back and said it's basically not true and no one is having the issue.

This is the post that I reposted here a few months ago:

Both the user who posted it and the actual post has been removed. The comments still remain with many people saying they're also facing or have faced the issues mentioned. Some on their third device.

I don't personally know what's up but it's something I've kept my eye on at the least. I've had my Pixel 4 XL since April 2020 and haven't had any issues with it. Though, all of the Android that I've had issues with have come from Google directly (Nexus 4 had speaker crackling which got RMA'd and got a new device with the little bumps on the back, Pixel 2 non XL had worse speaker crackling and was RMA'd three times, each refurbished device had worse issues than the last). My Pixel 4 XL is from new Amazon and I'm hoping it'll be better (also Amazon has better customer service so that might be less insane to deal with).
[/quote]

Thanks, this is pretty much what I suspected. I only use USB PD chargers and a decent quality wireless charger, mostly the genuine Google items.

It also explains why I had the same issue twice - chances are they're just replacing the shim and then it's making GBS threads itself again few months later.

Here's hoping the one arriving tomorrow isn't impacted. Tempted to look at iPhones next time but it's a shame, I really have been pretty happy with the pixel 4 overall.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Are those ads on Samsung phones happening in Europe too? Because I'd love to see the lawsuit for placing ads like that.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

LastInLine posted:

Mine's been fine and I've also never heard of this kind of failure

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

But the same can be applied to everything else as well.

Look at how many people jumped to the "I don't see ads on MY Samsung device" which doesn't change the fact that yes, Samsung sells ad space within your $1k+ devices and sells access to your data to 3rd party providers that integrate at the OS level.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

Look at how many people jumped to the "I don't see ads on MY Samsung device" which doesn't change the fact that yes, Samsung sells ad space within your $1k+ devices and sells access to your data to 3rd party providers that integrate at the OS level.

There is an intangible quality to devices that people reach for all sorts of strange things to justify, in my opinion. We get tribal about things because people naturally want to justify why they spent their $800 on glass rectangle X and not glass rectangle Y. Also, basically all these phones have real identifiable problems.

My wife & I are probably going to keep buying Pixels even though we've been repeatedly burned because we like plastic bodies, like the Pixel android skin, and for reasons that I can't fully articulate, I prefer Chrome on Android to any browser on iOS. I've had work iPhones for years, tried an iPhone as a daily driver around the iPhone 6 era, and I find myself preferring to browse on my slow-as-molasses Moto G5+ than the iPhone XR and I can't logically figure out what I like more about browsing on Android, but I just prefer it and I don't have to justify it to anybody but myself.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

bull3964 posted:

It's also kinda weird to assume that everyone saying "huh, I haven't experienced that issue" is automatically somehow white-knighting. Modern phones are complex little loving beasts--there are a ton of issues out there that only impact some fragment of a given model, and while it'll be quite frustrating for those who are impacted, everyone else will be blissfully unaware because it's only endemic to that specific production run / manufacturing month / specific supplier sub-component / whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still don't have my mythical perfect phone though the OP8P gets very close.

I want the flat screen, center hole punch, and telephoto zoom and wide angle of the S20 Ultra with OxygenOS and the OP8P main sensor in a Pixel 4XL body with google image processing.

Seriously though, if they squared off and flattened the OP8P a bit more, it would be drat near perfect.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

My wife & I are probably going to keep buying Pixels even though we've been repeatedly burned because we like plastic bodies, like the Pixel android skin,

There are plenty of other device choices out there that don't have staggering issues like the Pixels seem to get. Xiaomi, Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, among others all make good, plastic phones that can be had for well below the price of a Pixel. If you're especially just using a phone to browse, why would you subject yourself to spending that much money on something when there are budget devices out there that 1. won't burn you, 2. have skins that aren't too bad compared to stock.

bull3964 posted:

Seriously though, if they squared off and flattened the OP8P a bit more, it would be drat near perfect.

No way would you have been able to convince me 5 years ago that OnePlus would become one of the better OEMs and their phones are good.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 7, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know rooting is frowned upon in this forum but Google allowing it is the major reason I stick with Pixel phones because I swear to god that after installing AdBlock and MinMinGuard I don't see a single solitary ad anywhere. Those two things installed even blocks ads from stupid apps that don't even give you the option to buy the app to remove ads. I seriously believe ads rot your brain on top of being obnoxious and obtrusive. Using my loaner phone until I can transition over to my new Pixel 3a is actually shocking me with how many goddamn ads there are everywhere. I can't even watch a YouTube video without having big obnoxious INSTALL FACEBOOK MESSENGER buttons everywhere, despite the fact that I already have the drat thing installed on my phone. It's almost as bad as using Internet Explorer in the late 90s. Almost.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cage-free egghead posted:

No way would you have been able to convince me 5 years ago that OnePlus would become one of the better OEMs and their phones are good.

I cannot overstate how impressed I am with the main camera on the OP8P this year. This is the first time since the Pixel was introduced where I don't feel I'm missing a shot due to not using the Pixel. That new Sony sensor is the real deal.

I was taking some photos of my niece and nephew doing sparklers after dark and what the OP8P was able to capture even without night mode on was impressive. You basically got your choice in shot. You could shoot in regular mode which captured the idea that it was night but was still able to put out significant detail or you could shoot in night mode which basically rolled back the clock 5 hours.

Then on top of that you have the pro mode which lets you experiment a bit.

These two images were captured within 2 minutes of each other at about 10:20 pm handheld. The first is with night mode which basically makes the moon look like the sun. The second is with night mode off which is still fairly low on noise and captures a lot of the good cloud detail, but doesn't blow out the moon light (though the moon moved more behind a tree at that point.) Most of the artifacts you can see are due to imgur resizing, not in the original picture.

I love how you can see stars in either.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

REALLY loving true. Every gen like clockwork.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I cannot overstate how impressed I am with the main camera on the OP8P this year. This is the first time since the Pixel was introduced where I don't feel I'm missing a shot due to not using the Pixel. That new Sony sensor is the real deal.

I was taking some photos of my niece and nephew doing sparklers after dark and what the OP8P was able to capture even without night mode on was impressive. You basically got your choice in shot. You could shoot in regular mode which captured the idea that it was night but was still able to put out significant detail or you could shoot in night mode which basically rolled back the clock 5 hours.

Then on top of that you have the pro mode which lets you experiment a bit.

These two images were captured within 2 minutes of each other at about 10:20 pm handheld. The first is with night mode which basically makes the moon look like the sun. The second is with night mode off which is still fairly low on noise and captures a lot of the good cloud detail, but doesn't blow out the moon light (though the moon moved more behind a tree at that point.) Most of the artifacts you can see are due to imgur resizing, not in the original picture.

I love how you can see stars in either.

That first pic is atrocious, but I dunno how the other phone night modes do in that situation. Pixel night mode always seems to process it in a way that you still can tell it's dark out, even if everything is brightened a lot.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

CoolRanch posted:

REALLY loving true. Every gen like clockwork.

I RMA'ed 3 Pixel 2XL's because of the dog poo poo pink screen problem and got consistently gaslit about it and having "unreasonable" expectations for a 700 dollar phone. Which isn't addressing the issues I had with the first gen with overheating and antenna's made from dog poo poo. Or my 3 having the flashing screen issue.

Google's QA on cellphones has always been absolutely terrible and nerds will die on the hill of it every generation.

nerdrum fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 7, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sourdough posted:

That first pic is atrocious, but I dunno how the other phone night modes do in that situation. Pixel night mode always seems to process it in a way that you still can tell it's dark out, even if everything is brightened a lot.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the photo.

I would expect that the Pixel night mode, in a similar scene, would have produced an image closer to the bottom one but at a significantly longer exposure time/more noise.

And that's the advantage I can see with the OP8P's camera. You get closer to Pixel night mode results in normal shooting mode with the camera (due to the much larger sensor size) at lower exposure times which reduces the chance for blur. Then if you are in a really challenging situation where there just isn't enough light to capture anything, a situation where the Pixel night mode would fail, then the OP8P night mode can actually grab something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nerdrum posted:

I RMA'ed 3 Pixel 2XL's because of the dog poo poo pink screen problem and got consistently gaslit about it and having "unreasonable" expectations for a 700 dollar phone. Which isn't addressing the issues I had with the first gen with overheating and antenna's made from dog poo poo. Or my 3 having the flashing screen issue.

Google's QA on cellphones has always been absolutely terrible and nerds will die on the hill of it every generation.

Maybe.

That said, look up any flagship on reddit and you see the same poo poo. Iphone screens with weird tints. Burn in on Galaxy phones. The list goes on and on.

What distinguishes your "i'm on my nth phone for specific issue" from this recent post on reddit other than it happened to you?

These are massed produced consumer devices. There are duds. Sometimes the duds come in batches that reinforce the idea of a pattern. None of us actually have the true RMA rate to determine what the reality is.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

bull3964 posted:

Maybe.

That said, look up any flagship on reddit and you see the same poo poo. Iphone screens with weird tints. Burn in on Galaxy phones. The list goes on and on.

What distinguishes your "i'm on my nth phone for specific issue" from this recent post on reddit other than it happened to you?

These are massed produced consumer devices. There are duds. Sometimes the duds come in batches that reinforce the idea of a pattern. None of us actually have the true RMA rate to determine what the reality is.

I think I can speak with a bit more of an understanding of what's happening, coming from 7+ years at a regional level for Asurion / YouBreakiFix, for the relatively low amount of volume Google pushes through carriers, the failure rate on every single generation was comparable to devices that had 6-8x the market share -- I can excuse apple for a goofy screen when they're selling 2mm devices in 24 hours or Samsung for having burn-in etc, because again -- those devices are being sold at a rate almost unimaginable at this point by Google.

If you aren't interested in the actual internal layout and design of your phone and are okay with spending a 45% premium on mid-range hardware with really really questionable internal components for deeper software integration to Google -- great! But, let's not say every launch past the original pixel hasn't been a compromised or soured experience compared to devices at the same price point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nerdrum posted:

If you aren't interested in the actual internal layout and design of your phone and are okay with spending a 45% premium on mid-range hardware with really really questionable internal components for deeper software integration to Google -- great!

You had the beginnings of a cogent argument till that point. By all means though, please point me towards the $440 SD855 device with a 90hz screen and a top 5 camera that was on sale in in the US market in October of 2019.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

bull3964 posted:

You had the beginnings of a cogent argument till that point. By all means though, please point me towards the $440 SD855 device with a 90hz screen and a top 5 camera that was on sale in in the US market in October of 2019.

Oneplus 7t launched the same week at $599 with a better screen, less of a camera notch, more modularity behind the sensor stack and was available at the same time, or s10 devices being available for $799 or even at $599 or less with trade-in's at the time to burn stock due to the note 10 release, this isn't even factoring in Xiaomi / GSM agnostic devices that were available with comparable specs? And if we're really going to get into this camera poo poo, you realize it's been an APK installation for about two years to get comparable / better image quality out of it? You know the Nokia 8.1 runs the same IMX363 as your device right? Along with another 130 devices all costing under $300 with comparable specifications and the same camera sensor

https://www.kimovil.com/en/list-smartphones-by-lens-model/sony-imx363-exmor-rs

You are paying for a software stack at the cost of hardware, design, warranty and google.

Very excited for your framing of narrative on this one.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I got my p4XL for effectively $500 off in November with the Fi credit deal, so, I'm pretty happy with that :shrug:

Lot of extremely heated debate here over everyone's favorite pocket computer though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Software/Google's photo magic matters a lot more than the sensor :shrug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My wife had the Pixel 1 XL and had to exchange it for a blown-out speaker. I had the smaller Pixel 1 and somehow the 2.4ghz wifi antenna died. I have no clue how an antenna dies, but I was only able to connect to 5ghz wifi. Really sucked because I was never able to set up devices like WeMo switches on my smart phone (I always had to use hers or an iPad).

Also the bluetooth range got so bad that if I had bluetooth headphones on I literally had to tuck the phone underneath my t-shirt's shoulder because it literally had to be within 6 inches for it not to cut out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm pretty afraid of buying the grey market Chinese phones that have no warranty support, but that's mostly because I use warranty coverage a lot because I've bought Google phones.

My favorite non-Google phone that I've seen a family member use and I've gotten a chance to check out is when my Mom bought a Huawei Mate SE at a brick & mortar best buy. I can't believe we've gone from that to Huawei being banned from Google services and the play store.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 7, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nerdrum posted:

Oneplus 7t launched the same week at $599 with a better screen, less of a camera notch, more modularity behind the sensor stack and was available at the same time, or s10 devices being available for $799 or even at $599 or less with trade-in's at the time to burn stock due to the note 10 release, this isn't even factoring in Xiaomi / GSM agnostic devices that were available with comparable specs? And if we're really going to get into this camera poo poo, you realize it's been an APK installation for about two years to get comparable / better image quality out of it? You know the Nokia 8.1 runs the same IMX363 as your device right? Along with another 130 devices all costing under $300 with comparable specifications and the same camera sensor

You are paying for a software stack at the cost of hardware, design, warranty and google.

The OnePlus 7T camera is way worse than Pixels, and yes you can put gcam on it, except then for some reason the portrait mode doesn't work and recording video crashes the camera unless you tweak the settings and night mode sometimes doesn't work and you can't use the secondary lenses etc etc. And even when it does work, image quality just is not as good as a Pixel. Unless there's something uniquely bad about gcam compatibility and quality with the 7T, everyone saying "just install the apk and it's basically a Pixel camera" is really overselling it.

Anyway, basically nothing you can show me besides actual careful testing will convince me Pixels have higher failure rates in the same conditions, because the people that buy Pixels are such a small subset of the type of people that buy Samsung or Apple flagships. If "idiot phone nerd that does dumb things that makes their phones fail more often" makes up 50% of Pixel buyers and 2% of iPhone buyers, no poo poo the failure rates overall will be different. Same basic point when it comes to complaining about stuff (e.g., "there seem to be as many people complaining about Pixels as there are complaining about Galaxy S20s, even though there's 50x the number of Galaxies sold, so Pixels must be way worse" isn't compelling).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nerdrum posted:

As mentioned, the 7t camera is massively inferior to the Pixel's camera.

Also, $799 is not a 45% price premium over $599.

Xiaomi poo poo is greymarket in the US with zero warranty support and often times missing bands. You can always pull a cheap Chinese brand out of the hat but those are apple to oranges comparisons. No one is offering a legit US market phone with those specs and prices.

Your counter to a $799 Pixel 4 is a $799 S10? Trade in is irrelevant since that's something you can do with any phone or sell your device privately to offset the cost of the new device. Regardless, again, $799 is not a 45% price premium over $599. $799 is a 45% price premium over $440.

Who cares if the Nokia runs the same IMX363 sensor. The sensor isn't outclassed by the higher MP garbage at small sensor sizes like we see in the 7T. There hasn't been a legit sensor upgrade until this year's IMX689. GCam mod is all well and good, but it still doesn't quite compare to what the native device does no matter what XDA likes to tell you. Believe me I kept reaching for that with my OP7P and was consistently disappointed.

By all means though, continue arguing the ins and outs of the current US flagship market against someone who has owned in the past year.

OnePlus 6T
Pixel 3
OnePlus 7 Pro
Pixel 4 XL
Galaxy Note 10+
OnePlus 8 Pro
Galaxy S20 Ultra

The Pixel devices were every bit as worthy as the rest of the devices in that list to be called 'flagship' and (until the OP8P) offered the least amount of compromise out of all of them.

My intent was not to strike an antagonistic tone with you. However, you started your post with "numbers" asserting your point about reliability and followed it up with completely fabricated numbers about what could actually be bought. If you want your point to be taken seriously, don't pull hyperbole out of your rear end and present it as fact.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

D

Y

P

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

sourdough posted:

Anyway, basically nothing you can show me besides actual careful testing will convince me Pixels have higher failure rates in the same conditions, because the people that buy Pixels are such a small subset of the type of people that buy Samsung or Apple flagships. If "idiot phone nerd that does dumb things that makes their phones fail more often" makes up 50% of Pixel buyers and 2% of iPhone buyers, no poo poo the failure rates overall will be different. Same basic point when it comes to complaining about stuff (e.g., "there seem to be as many people complaining about Pixels as there are complaining about Galaxy S20s, even though there's 50x the number of Galaxies sold, so Pixels must be way worse" isn't compelling).

I think there's also generally a different level of expectations for the type of people who buy a Pixel vs the type who tend to buy a Samsung. I cannot tell you how many people I know have phones in some state of being hosed up (some feature doesn't work, their screen is cracked, whatever) and they just kinda shrug and explain that it's too much of a hassle to bother getting fixed because it's either outside warranty, the deductible is too high, or they simply don't want to be bothered with the giant hassle that moving to a new phone is. It seems at least plausible to me that the target demographic of the Pixel line is also a demographic who is less likely than most to just shrug off non-fatal problems.

And no one really has any idea what goes on with Apple's products because they sure as gently caress aren't telling, even when it's patently obvious they hosed something up. "You're holding it wrong," etc.

That said, I'm annoyed that Android 10 still has problems with the light and proximity sensor on my P3 XL. Fuckin' obnoxious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apple also has the advantage of having stores where people can walk in, say "fix it" and walk out with all their data intact.

There's no hand-wringing on whether or not to do an RMA or use a credit card for advanced replacement. It's more along the lines of stopping at the Apple store for 20 minutes between hitting the food court and buying new hand soap at Bath and Body Works.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Apple also has the advantage of having stores where people can walk in, say "fix it" and walk out with all their data intact.

Yeah, that's huge. It's pretty frustrating that, even today, restoring an Android phone is an exercise in "well what all am I going to lose?" because the answer is never "nothing" unless it's basically a blank phone. That Google can backup your photos (mostly) and contacts is a big help, but MMS backup requires Google One AFAIK, most apps are "restored" in the sense of simply being downloaded again and hoping that you didn't have anything saved locally (so best of luck with 3rd party messaging apps), and Google only added the ability to transfer Authenticator info in, what, May? And that's not even touching the issue of how in-person "support" is, at best, some dude at BestBuy/Verizon Wireless who kinda knows how to do backups, or some random guy working a kiosk cart in the middle of a mall passageway, instead of someone directly trained, employed, and operated by Corporate.

All of that is absolutely a reason people just say "meh, I'll live with it" instead of actually getting something fixed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nerdrum posted:

I think I can speak with a bit more of an understanding of what's happening, coming from 7+ years at a regional level for Asurion / YouBreakiFix, for the relatively low amount of volume Google pushes through carriers, the failure rate on every single generation was comparable to devices that had 6-8x the market share -- I can excuse apple for a goofy screen when they're selling 2mm devices in 24 hours or Samsung for having burn-in etc, because again -- those devices are being sold at a rate almost unimaginable at this point by Google.

If you aren't interested in the actual internal layout and design of your phone and are okay with spending a 45% premium on mid-range hardware with really really questionable internal components for deeper software integration to Google -- great! But, let's not say every launch past the original pixel hasn't been a compromised or soured experience compared to devices at the same price point.

I'd easily believe that Google phones fail at a higher rate than others, both because of self-selection (only nerds buy them and are likely to report, etc.) and because they generally fail more. I personally have gotten lucky but I'm sure that luck will eventually run out. Either way I'm not interested in anyone else's offerings so I've been sticking with them.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know rooting is frowned upon in this forum but Google allowing it is the major reason I stick with Pixel phones because I swear to god that after installing AdBlock and MinMinGuard I don't see a single solitary ad anywhere. Those two things installed even blocks ads from stupid apps that don't even give you the option to buy the app to remove ads. I seriously believe ads rot your brain on top of being obnoxious and obtrusive. Using my loaner phone until I can transition over to my new Pixel 3a is actually shocking me with how many goddamn ads there are everywhere. I can't even watch a YouTube video without having big obnoxious INSTALL FACEBOOK MESSENGER buttons everywhere, despite the fact that I already have the drat thing installed on my phone. It's almost as bad as using Internet Explorer in the late 90s. Almost.

Since Android 9 you can just change the DNS to point to AdGuard's and accomplish the same thing without any apps and without subverting the security model.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, that's huge. It's pretty frustrating that, even today, restoring an Android phone is an exercise in "well what all am I going to lose?" because the answer is never "nothing" unless it's basically a blank phone. That Google can backup your photos (mostly) and contacts is a big help, but MMS backup requires Google One AFAIK, most apps are "restored" in the sense of simply being downloaded again and hoping that you didn't have anything saved locally (so best of luck with 3rd party messaging apps), and Google only added the ability to transfer Authenticator info in, what, May? And that's not even touching the issue of how in-person "support" is, at best, some dude at BestBuy/Verizon Wireless who kinda knows how to do backups, or some random guy working a kiosk cart in the middle of a mall passageway, instead of someone directly trained, employed, and operated by Corporate.

All of that is absolutely a reason people just say "meh, I'll live with it" instead of actually getting something fixed.

I've most embraced the zen of losing messages, etc. I just have my photos backed up, but, yeah, I spend a lot of time stressing how my 2FA will get restored and know I will need to budget a couple of hours to get my various setting correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of just assume I have to lose my texts every few months because no matter how much free storage I have my Android phones always seem to poo poo themselves whenever the SMS database gets too big.

LastInLine posted:

Since Android 9 you can just change the DNS to point to AdGuard's and accomplish the same thing without any apps and without subverting the security model.

Is there a good guide on this? And is there any way to whitelist with this method? A lot of stuff on Slickdeals breaks with ad blockers at the DNS/hosts level and I had to have a whitelist set up in my AdBlocker to fix it.