Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Been farming bloodpoints with Freddy, today I reached rank 10. He's very fun! And somehow I just discovered 5 minutes ago that you can hold down M1 for some sort of lunge??? Is this something all killers can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Azran posted:

Been farming bloodpoints with Freddy, today I reached rank 10. He's very fun! And somehow I just discovered 5 minutes ago that you can hold down M1 for some sort of lunge??? Is this something all killers can do?

Oh my god it took months for me to realize this years ago yes and it makes the game so much easier. The only drawback is you cant grab with it if someone's on a gen or vaulting a window.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yes, all killers can lunge, though I think the range is a bit different for some of them. I know Myer's EW1 lunge is shorter ranged than the average.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lunging seems to tag people pretty nicely when they're going for a window vault. As long as you make sure to start it sooner rather than later, they'll just kind of drop dead on the opposite side of the window :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DeathChicken posted:

Lunging seems to tag people pretty nicely when they're going for a window vault. As long as you make sure to start it sooner rather than later, they'll just kind of drop dead on the opposite side of the window :v:

Yeah but it doesnt do the cool animation :saddowns:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also the more I play Freddy, the more he makes some of the dumb fuckups with other killers stand out. Like he has Demogorgon's teleport, except survivors can't destroy your portals and leave you stranded on the wrong side of the map. He's sneaky like Ghostface, except it's on a rotating timer instead of getting bopped out of it by spinning the camera a little

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Carcer posted:

Yes, all killers can lunge, though I think the range is a bit different for some of them. I know Myer's EW1 lunge is shorter ranged than the average.

Mikey and Oni are the only ones with different lunges. Mikey's EW1 lunge is a fair bit shorter and his EW3 lunge is longer by one extra step. Oni's demon strike when he's in his fury is I think the same length as Mikey's EW3 lunge? Other than that, Spirit and Wraith's post-power speed boost gives them longer lunges

Danaru posted:

Oh my god it took months for me to realize this years ago yes and it makes the game so much easier. The only drawback is you cant grab with it if someone's on a gen or vaulting a window.

There's two other drawbacks. Or well, situations where you just wanna do a basic M1. If some one's spinning you, the basic M1 has better tracking. If you want to both get a hit and a pallet drop, the basic M1 is better than the lunge if you're close enough already.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 7, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
God I hope the Pig gets a Freddy-style rework. :( he went from the objectively worst to perfectly viable, they can do the same for my poor stabbygirl

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Probably part of the issue is going to be that with Freddy you have a loooot of flexibility, but with The Pig she's just a woman in a pig mask. I'm sure they can figure something out though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I mean Saw had 11,000 traps by the time it was over (some far more ridiculous than others), I'm sure they could think of something

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Give her a trap she can put on a generator that forces you to succeed at some rapid fire/tough skill checks or get injured and lock the gen off for a while would be thematic.

Maybe change it into a perk that can reactivate after a minute or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Even just making that one addon that prevents survivors from seeing jigsaw box auras until the trap is active permanent would go a long way. Make the addon so survivors cant see the boxes even if the trap is active if you wanna get real rude :unsmigghh:

The endgame collapse took pretty much all her late game strats away and makes her traps useless once the gems are done. Give her SOMETHING

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My only problem with playing Michael is that I constantly whistle the Halloween theme BUT IT HELPS, DARN IT.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Scorpionz actually did a video covering The Pig's add-ons. Their opinion on Ruleset #2 is that it actually is bad because it's not really that good for killing people and it fucks with the RBT's ability to slow down gens since it changes what survivors prioritize when they come off of a hook.

She needs something, but it should probably be based around her lunge. Like there might be a bajillion saw traps, but they're not going to give her a whole new game mode so they're gonna be limited to the smaller traps. Plus we don't really have anyone who fills the niche of aggressive stealth character. She'd make a good fit there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Our autoscrubber at work sometimes makes a sound that sounds EXACTLY like one of the sound effects of a generator getting repaired (a single deep "thoonk", like something popping into place, I'm not crazy) and whenever it does that I reflexively hyper focus on my hearing and get annoyed with myself :cripes:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Azran posted:

You aren't the only rank 10 or higher killer I've met who had no idea the lunge is a thing. I was very confused one game when a rank 7 GF kept not lunging for me for easy downs allowing me to pallet slam and extend the chase. After match I asked why wasn't lunging for me only to discover he had no idea lunging was a thing either so you aren't alone!

Danaru posted:

Our autoscrubber at work sometimes makes a sound that sounds EXACTLY like one of the sound effects of a generator getting repaired (a single deep "thoonk", like something popping into place, I'm not crazy) and whenever it does that I reflexively hyper focus on my hearing and get annoyed with myself :cripes:

AMA about hearing the Hag's breathing is literally every wheezing drippy noise ever and immediately focusing on the sounds of someone rummaging through a bunch of metal tools like the chest searching sound.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 7, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TGLT posted:

Scorpionz actually did a video covering The Pig's add-ons. Their opinion on Ruleset #2 is that it actually is bad because it's not really that good for killing people and it fucks with the RBT's ability to slow down gens since it changes what survivors prioritize when they come off of a hook.

She needs something, but it should probably be based around her lunge. Like there might be a bajillion saw traps, but they're not going to give her a whole new game mode so they're gonna be limited to the smaller traps. Plus we don't really have anyone who fills the niche of aggressive stealth character. She'd make a good fit there.

Scorpionz stuff with Pig is fascinating. Like the first thing I heard him tell people is 'forget the traps, work on Ambush' which was a revelation.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pig really did get shafted, when it comes to the two other 'stealth' killers; Michael at least has always had his abundance of gimmick loadouts and Ghostface can turn his blinkers and radius off without even having to be in a slow rear end crouch mode.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1280531353747034114?s=19

:homebrew::murder:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The galling thing about Pig... and Trapper and Clown and Legion and Ghostface and Bubba and I'm probably forgetting someone and I even like some of those killers, is that they've proven they can not only make good killers but make bad killers good. Their dev time is either just wildly inefficient or something else is causing it to take literal years to fix problem characters and I can't imagine what it could be.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
There's no good version of Legion with their current power. That is a character who needs a total rework. Honestly, same with Clown. Maybe not a total rework for Clown but he needs more than gas bottles that slow you down. Bubba's getting a buff but they're going to be limited by the fact they already have a fake Leatherface in the game who's got first dibs on that mechanical identity. Bubba is unfortunately hemmed in by his shadow.

Ghostface is good. Like he ain't Billy tier but he's good.

Trapper though is 100% they just sort of tweak characters and move on because they really just need to up his base trap count to at least 3 and he'd be so much better.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Has Myers ever gotten a rework or has he just been perfect from the get go?

Orv
May 4, 2011

TGLT posted:

There's no good version of Legion with their current power. That is a character who needs a total rework. Honestly, same with Clown. Maybe not a total rework for Clown but he needs more than gas bottles that slow you down. Bubba's getting a buff but they're going to be limited by the fact they already have a fake Leatherface in the game who's got first dibs on that mechanical identity. Bubba is unfortunately hemmed in by his shadow.

Ghostface is good. Like he ain't Billy tier but he's good.

Trapper though is 100% they just sort of tweak characters and move on because they really just need to up his base trap count to at least 3 and he'd be so much better.

I have fun with Legion but not because of any quality of the character necessarily. Ghostface is good but all the bullshit surrounding his powers and survivor interactions need to be cleaned up or changed.

Danaru posted:

He's had a number of tweaks to EW and some of his addons. EW1 didn't used to apply Undetectable so aura stuff still worked on him and now only Spine Chill and Premonition really do anything.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 7, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

The only real change to his power was switching is EW1 from having a 6m terror radius and immunity to all detection perks to just being Undetectable (0m, not immune to Premonition or Spine Chill). And that was really just part of standardizing the game's stealth killers. EW1 also used to be a bit slower.

Orv posted:

I have fun with Legion but not because of any quality of the character necessarily. Ghostface is good but all the bullshit surrounding his powers and survivor interactions need to be cleaned up or changed.

Maybe they're fun, but the issue with Legion is their skill floor and skill ceiling are basically the same and both are below the average killer's skill floor. You can't make them good without giving them room to gently caress up or else you just end up with a killer who takes no effort and is also oppressive. I'm still really hoping that they actually make them function as a gang of stab teens some day, but gently caress all knows how AI companions in DBD would play out.

As for Ghostface, server side validation might be all he needs to fix up the weirdness surrounding his detection. We'll see. But it's a weirdness that cuts both ways right now.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 7, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah don't me wrong Legion is fundamentally bad right now, I wouldn't begin to argue otherwise. He's also been bad for over a year and a half so who knows, maybe he's due for that rework any day now given the timeline on Freddy.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Hopefully, but I'd bet on some sort of Huntress rework coming up first. She at the very least is I think the last killer who needs an add-on pass. Hopefully they also give her something to address her weaknesses with indoor maps or large maps. I've heard a suggestion that she should get 1% faster for every missing hatchet, up to 115%. That'd probably be a good if basic one.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

TGLT posted:

Hopefully, but I'd bet on some sort of Huntress rework coming up first. She at the very least is I think the last killer who needs an add-on pass. Hopefully they also give her something to address her weaknesses with indoor maps or large maps. I've heard a suggestion that she should get 1% faster for every missing hatchet, up to 115%. That'd probably be a good if basic one.

"We think that the huntress is mostly in a good place right now, but we've noticed some problems in her play pattern, especially involving her iridescent head add-on. As such, we've given her the same hitboxes as the Deathslinger, and added a new stamina system to limit her hatchet throws. This should serve to make sure that survivors can have more fun by giving them the experience of dodging more hatchets."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I got a chuckle out of their survey hinting at replacing hook button mashing with skill checks. Does anyone actually miss skill checks, unless Doctor is there and making them upside down and backwards?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

"We think that the huntress is mostly in a good place right now, but we've noticed some problems in her play pattern, especially involving her iridescent head add-on. As such, we've given her the same hitboxes as the Deathslinger, and added a new stamina system to limit her hatchet throws. This should serve to make sure that survivors can have more fun by giving them the experience of dodging more hatchets."

nooooooooooooooooo

Honestly what they would do if they wanted to kill her would be to make her hatchet cooldown the same as her melee swing, thereby eradicating the the melee hatchet and making her significantly worse.

DeathChicken posted:

I got a chuckle out of their survey hinting at replacing hook button mashing with skill checks. Does anyone actually miss skill checks, unless Doctor is there and making them upside down and backwards?

I mean, it's not like mashing the spacebar while hooked is anything but added wrist strain.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Was the intent that if they hit the checks they'd suffer zero hook progress cause uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Orv posted:

Was the intent that if they hit the checks they'd suffer zero hook progress cause uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nah, it'd presumably be like PH's cages where success does nothing but failing them causes you to lose some extra progress.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah okay, hadn't seen his stuff yet, that's at least reasonable.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They also asked what what percentage bonus bp award would make you switch queues if yours was taking a long time, which makes me wonder what exactly the killer/survivor ratio looks like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Carcer posted:

They also asked what what percentage bonus bp award would make you switch queues if yours was taking a long time, which makes me wonder what exactly the killer/survivor ratio looks like.
I usually have to wait five or eight minutes for a killer game and basically no time for a survivor game. I imagine it helps that other than maybe level/rank there is no other intermingling factor.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I have the same experience, but I'd read that it was because of not having enough servers to handle player numbers, not a gross imbalance of killer/survivor population. What is funny is that when I do get a game as killer its already full or 3/4, so it feels more like the game is waiting for a server spot to open rather than there bieng no survivors available.

I basically just got the game so I have no idea how long its been like this, but something is wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Carcer posted:

I have the same experience, but I'd read that it was because of not having enough servers to handle player numbers, not a gross imbalance of killer/survivor population. What is funny is that when I do get a game as killer its already full or 3/4, so it feels more like the game is waiting for a server spot to open rather than there bieng no survivors available.

I basically just got the game so I have no idea how long its been like this, but something is wrong.
That's true, I usually play late at night US time so I may not run into that... if there's only so many instances running then it would make sense that they would have stoppages like that. Possibly it spools up new servers or something during periods of high traffic? I don't know anything about that scale of web stuff beyond "it could be possible"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Last time I was playing seriously was right about the time they did dedicated servers and the ranked matching expansion and killers all got instant queues so I wonder what happened to gently caress that up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

...wow, that genuinely made me want to put the game down for awhile. Toward the end of the game, had one person in the basement near death. Second person rushes in after them, unhooks them. I down the rescuer, down the first guy. Last gen pops. They both instantly spring up and out. I have no idea how, they were both using Adrenaline but I didn't think that revived you from dying.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Yeah, it's probably the most tilting perk to deal with, as you've experienced. Even with DS you can just wait it out if you suspect it.

I still run it as survivor though because I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Adrenaline and nonsense situations like that is why you should literally never entertain people's whining about NOED, endgame momentum stealer for an endgame momentum stealer.