Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr.Radar posted:

I just got an iPad 7th gen and before I update the OS from the factory 13.4.1 to 13.5 or whatever the latest is I want to know: 1) is there any reason to jailbreak modern iOS/iPadOS? And 2) if there are reasons, can this version be jailbroken? This is my first Apple device in 15 years so I'm a bit out of the loop on jailbreaking.

Yes it can, and the only real answer that applies to 99% of people is because you want to run an emulator on it. The newer iPads are actually pretty powerful for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yes it can, and the only real answer that applies to 99% of people is because you want to run an emulator on it. The newer iPads are actually pretty powerful for that.

FYI, if he updates to newest iOS (13.5.1) there is no jailbreak. However, there is a jailbreak if he stays at 13.4.1 (unc0ver). Hopefully he reads this before he follows your recommendation!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

bobfather posted:

FYI, if he updates to newest iOS (13.5.1) there is no jailbreak. However, there is a jailbreak if he stays at 13.4.1 (unc0ver). Hopefully he reads this before he follows your recommendation!

unc0ver says it'll work on the 13.5.5 beta, looks like 13.5.1 is an exception. Though they also don't have a download for that beta on the iPad 7, so who knows.

checkra1n should work if it doesn't, but you do have to connect it to your computer after every reboot to re-jailbreak it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bobfather posted:

ooooops :ohdear:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TVs Ian posted:

unc0ver says it'll work on the 13.5.5 beta, looks like 13.5.1 is an exception. Though they also don't have a download for that beta on the iPad 7, so who knows.

checkra1n should work if it doesn't, but you do have to connect it to your computer after every reboot to re-jailbreak it.

13.5.5 beta signing window was closed pretty soon after people reported that it could be jail broken.

Also, you’re right about checkra1n. I totally forgot that Apple have been in the habit of introducing new iPads with processors from three generations ago.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The last time I messed around with jailbreak software (iOS 12 or iOS 11), the Cydia store was a wasteland and not worth it at all. Hardly anything worked.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I don’t think I’ve felt the need to jailbreak since maybe iOS6? it’s been a while.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t you sideload emulators nowadays? I seem to remember people hyping up Dolphin for iOS a month ago with no jailbreak required

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Can’t you sideload emulators nowadays? I seem to remember people hyping up Dolphin for iOS a month ago with no jailbreak required

Kinda?

I literally tried 3 days ago but couldn’t because you needed to be on 13.4.1 (?) or something.

You can load the Alt store just fine (it’s fiddly) but the few emulators I tried didn’t work since I was one OS too high.

Edit: I wish I could have gotten dolphin to work though since it’s supposed to be the fastest version on the mobile market and crushes the android versions.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Thanks for the info everyone. One last question: if I did jailbreak it on the current OS version and then update the OS would the jailbreak would stop working after the update? I'd assume so, but I want to double-check beforehand. Loading emulators on my iPad sounds fun but I also like up-to-date software...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

If you’ve an iPad 7th generation you can have a perpetual jailbreak on any supported iOS version forever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are on a newer iPad you could pay $99 for a dev account and just compile the apps yourself (which I guess isn’t that hard) and stay on the most current iOS version.

That’s the safest way TBH.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MarcusSA posted:

If you are on a newer iPad you could pay $99 for a dev account and just compile the apps yourself (which I guess isn’t that hard) and stay on the most current iOS version.

That’s the safest way TBH.

You don't even need to pay the $99, you can self-sign to sideload via xcode (though it'll expire after some amount of time).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

You don't even need to pay the $99, you can self-sign to sideload via xcode (though it'll expire after some amount of time).

Yeah I think 7 days? If you pay it doesn’t expire though afaik

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Now that you can deploy from xcode via ethernet/wifi it isn't even a hard thing to do to reload, not like when i had to plug my AppleTV into a laptop to deploy provenance.

Then SNES/NES minis came out and I never had to do that again, even though I liked Provenance's GUI.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't think I'll jailbreak for now if sideloading is that easy these days (I don't have a Mac but I'm assuming a hackintosh VM would suffice?).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, I have owned nearly every iPhone... and several iPads... never once has any of them ever actually died/bricked. There was always a button combo.. a reset... something.

My kid has a 7th gen iPad he got from his aunt for xmas about 6 months ago and today he was playing a game and the screen went red and then everything went black.
Charged it for half a day. Tried pressing Power button for upwards of a minute. Tried pressing Home+Power for long periods of time. Connected to my computer and tried button combos.

This thing is d-e-d. That is a first.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
During the pandemic I’ve been doing more writing and work stuff on my 11” iPad Pro and it’s got me fantasizing about the 12.9”. The 11 is great (edit: perfect, actually) on the couch, in bed and when traveling but I think I would enjoy the extra real estate when I’m trying to be more productive.

12.9 owners: How is the iPad when you’re just enjoying some entertainment etc? Is it too big and heavy?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 1, 2020

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Xabi posted:

During the pandemic I’ve been doing more writing and work stuff on my 11” iPad Pro and it’s got me fantasizing about the 12.9”. The 11 is great (edit: perfect, actually) on the couch, in bed and when traveling but I think I would enjoy the extra real estate when I’m trying to be more productive.

12.9 owners: How is the iPad when you’re just enjoying some entertainment etc? Is it too big and heavy?

I don't think it's too big, but I take it off my keyboard case and into a folio case when I'm just watching videos or browsing a website.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have the 2018 12.9 Pro, it’s big. I’m used to it by now but I don’t hold it for long periods like I used to my smaller iPad. I don’t notice most of the time. But occasionally I remember just how big it is.

I rest it on couch arms or my bedside table when watching it. I love it for watching TV on or playing Steam Link games. I mean it’s as big screen wise as the tv I used to play NES on when I was a kid. So that’s crazy.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Xabi posted:

I have a 12.9 and a mini, I almost exclusively use the mini unless it's just watching video. The 12.9 is a big gently caress to carry around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The 12.9" is just fine. If you're trying to find a consensus, it's going to be a huge discussion in the same manner as people arguing about phone sizes and weights.

I'm using mine all day at work as digital notepad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have the 12.9” 4th gen pro (2020? Time has no meaning now) and it does need a folio case at least. I have the otterbox one and like the clasp bit to give it more stability when carrying it closed.

It’s large and gorgeous and I don’t feel it is too big. I may pickup a compact bluetooth keyboard to go with it, but definitely will get a pencil when ios 14 comes out, the ability to use it to scribble to text is awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my 12.9 and carry it with me every day. I'm never going back to anything smaller.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

As a 12.9 owner for as long as it's been a thing, I've never found it bulky to carry around the house. Mine is constantly moving up and down two stories at home and when I leave the house with it I have a little laptop sleeve that goes into whatever bag I'm taking. As for dicking around on, the 12.9 it's perhaps the best content consumption device ever built. If you're in/on the bed/can/couch the 3rd and 4th generations are surprisingly light when you remove the folio.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i use my 12.9” sans case all the time, but i use two hands mostly, it’s not fun to hold it in one hand for an extended period of time.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 in my hands for work, up to 6 hours a day. To me, it’s perfectly fine to hold even for longer periods.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One handing a 12.9 has never been a problem, I just hold the back with my palm like a pizza box.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I was hoping you’d say the 12.9 is too big, but thanks anyway!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I really enjoy using my 12.9, I don't think it's too heavy.

Dual wielding them, one in each hand, is where it gets tricky.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Scholtz posted:

I really enjoy using my 12.9, I don't think it's too heavy.

Dual wielding them, one in each hand, is where it gets tricky.

If you want true power, you need to construct a geodesic battlesphere.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
12.9 rules. Love mine

The General
Mar 4, 2007

First piece of the ACAB series of my iPad Pro came in.

Edit:

Also I am conflicted about screen protectors. Considering a matte one. Though I dunno how much writing I'll be doing the tactile response sounds like it would be really nice for writing in search boxes. How much would something like a Paperlike effect the TV and Movie watching experience?

The General fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 2, 2020

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Xabi posted:

I was hoping you’d say the 12.9 is too big, but thanks anyway!

There's also Apple's 14 day return policy* so no harm in a test drive other than the fact you'll love it and have to pay for it.

*Or 14 days after your local store reopens.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
My gmail account added to stock Mail continuously has issues automatically checking for new arrivals. Every time I open the app, it says Account Error in the lower left. I have to tap the error, and then it syncs without any issues. Has anyone seen this before? I have the fetch schedule set to automatic and confirmed the credentials are correct.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I get literally the same message on both my iPad and iPhone. Wish I had something useful to contribute, but at least I can verify the issue exists for more than just yourself.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
iOS/iPadOS 13 mail has been really crappy for me with Gmail. One of the updates seems to have made it work better on my iPad but the iPhone is still a crap shoot. I often have the same issue with the account error. Even after all the updates messages still don't seem to download in the background either.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It also can't synch worth a poo poo if you also use Mail on MacOS.

I can read an email on my Mini and iPhone will still show an unread number long after.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My kid broke the old Air 2 they were using, so I plugged it into my Catalina based mac, did a backup of it, got the new 7th gen iPad, turned it on, it did the 'restore settings via blutooth' thing, then asked for a restore from iCloud or local computer. I select it in finder and select restore, and it instantly dissappears from finder and the iPad goes to "Connect to Mac or to a PC with iTunes". If I remove and replug in the USB port, it switches to 'Connected to Computer', and then can select restore again.

I don't think that it's transferring anything. But I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Use iCloud backup