Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Occultatio posted:

Question for the thread: I'm buying some random DLCs for games I like, and am ~$5 short of the $30 coupon cutoff. Which of these three games should I add to my cart?

Wintermoor Tactics Club ($10)
Journey ($11)
Madorica Real Estate ($8.50)

I'm aware that these are three radically different games; I'm torn because:

* The story/setting/concept of Wintermoor sounds super interesting, although I'm iffy on tactics games as a genre

* Everybody says how amazing Journey is, but like, I'm not sure I want to drop that much money on what seems like a really passive Experience Game

* I love puzzles/escape room-type games, which would put Madorica at the top of the list, but I'm really not sure how good the puzzles are in practice; has anybody played it that can speak to whether the puzzles are Solveable by Humans versus Bullshit?

I'm gonna be a contrarian here and recommend against Journey. I'm sure back when it released it was incredible, but I bought it to complete a sale (like you) and it's... It's fine. I guess. It's also like an hour and a half long. The only really interesting thing about it is the voice-less and text-less multiplayer thing, which, admittedly, turned out to be kinda interesting and endearing, but it wasn't enough to carry the game. It's just too dang short and doesn't do enough with what few mechanics it has. I know this thread has a lot of people who lean on the short games being good side, but surely an hour and a half for 11 bucks is a bad deal for anyone?

Edit: Man this is a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I mean, its on Steam :confused:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049320/River_City_Girls/

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It wasn't coming up in my search, I have no idea why. Pretty sure I wasn't typoing it because underground was showing up.

Edit: duh, I have anime blocked. Ha

odiv fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 8, 2020

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Is there any point in completing the sale badge apart from the e-cred?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollandia posted:

Is there any point in completing the sale badge apart from the e-cred?

expanded friend list size as you 'level up', for those that care about seeing an endless procession of toasts in their peripheral vision

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
I see Total War: Warhammer is on sale, and I've always wanted to play it! But, is it one of those deals where you get screwed by having to buy a ton of DLC to get anything out of it?

Also, how does Endless Space 2 compare to Stellaris? I have Stellaris and I love the hell out of it and Paradox has shown surprising restraint with their DLC model on it. Does the Starter Pack give you a good enough time or do you need to get a ton of DLC for Endless Space 2 to be fun?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

hulk hooligan posted:

I see Total War: Warhammer is on sale, and I've always wanted to play it! But, is it one of those deals where you get screwed by having to buy a ton of DLC to get anything out of it?

base game has hundreds of hours of gameplay and is a good place to start. Once you have a feel for the game, you can choose factions that seem interesting.

The TW:WH2 thread is a great group of people.

e: just checked, I have >1400 hours played in WH2. WH1 is tons of fun too, but is hard to go back to after playing 2. Also redundant, as all the 1 factions will import into 2 in a grand campaign called "Mortal Empires"

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
Oh, cool! I didn't know that. What's the best way to get started, then? Just skip the first game? Do you have to purchase both?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Det_no posted:

What's the last word on Intergalactic Fishing? I know a few goons were playing it back on launch and had generally good opinions.

It's lovely. Calm, deep, amusing writing. The character portraits are godawful but the moment to moment graphics are cute and surprisingly attractive in their simple way. Do it, catch a fish.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

hulk hooligan posted:

Oh, cool! I didn't know that. What's the best way to get started, then? Just skip the first game? Do you have to purchase both?

I would buy the second game unless you super want one of the factions from the first. Once you know you like it, you can buy the first game that then acts as a huge DLC for the second.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

hulk hooligan posted:

You need to have both games if you want to play as the first game's races and the Mortal Empires campaign, which is a sandbox-y campaign on a huge world map that combines the playable races and content from both games. WH2 by itself has the Vortex Campaign, which has its own story and weird wrinkles that I don't particularly like personally, but ymmv.

There's quite a bit of DLC, but the race packs aren't essential unless you really want to play as that race yourself. They'll still show up in your campaigns as AI if you don't have them.

The lord packs that usually go for under $10 will have a couple legendary lords as well as some extra units that fill gaps in a given race's roster. If you like a given race, it might be worth buying the relevant packs to get the extra lords and units.

The DLC packs for WH1 will work in WH2, so if you buy the Grim and the Grave pack for WH1, for example, that content will be available for you in WH2 (as long as you have WH1).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

hulk hooligan posted:

No, but you wouldn't be wrong for doing so. Combined you'd get 9 factions to play across both campaigns (you need both games for the combined campaign). Throw in mods and you could get many hundreds of hours of gameplay without even touching DLC.

If you do buy just one I would suggest game 2, though.

It's also one of the best gaming threads on these here forums imo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments and I am up to the end of the first case and I am pleasantly surprised! I never played the Frogware Sherlock games (Which I hear aside from this game ranges from middling to OK) and truth be told I was expecting some Eurojank (Why did adventure game fans convince themselves that Still Life was anything resembling good?), but this is genuinely compelling!

I do have a few questions: Is it possible to miss clues and deduction space nodes completely? Like, (Just mechanics spoilers here)It says on the deduction space I found all the clues and to make the conclusion, and I have a few, but I feel like I am missing a conclusion due to a node that I just do not have. Makes me want to restart the case. I suppose I could go through some of them to feel them out too.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 8, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I do have a few questions: Is it possible to miss clues and deduction space nodes completely? Like, (Just mechanics spoilers here)It says on the deduction space I found all the clues and to make the conclusion, and I have a few, but I feel like I am missing a conclusion due to a node that I just do not have. Makes me want to restart the case.

You can switch up your brain nodes to arrive at different conclusions, although only one will be correct.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

You can switch up your brain nodes to arrive at different conclusions, although only one will be correct.

I get that but is it possible to completely miss a brain node?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hulk hooligan posted:

Also, how does Endless Space 2 compare to Stellaris? I have Stellaris and I love the hell out of it and Paradox has shown surprising restraint with their DLC model on it. Does the Starter Pack give you a good enough time or do you need to get a ton of DLC for Endless Space 2 to be fun?

You can have plenty of fun with just the base game. Lots of folks will Stan for the Vaulters DLC, but there’s a consensus that the other DLC factions can be too esoteric to be fun, even as experienced players.

Overall I like ES2-it’s a visually beautiful game, the faction questions are well written with some goofy events here and there. Combat is not super deep, and the game doesn’t feel like a “cool story generator” the way Stellaris/CK2 reportedly are.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I get that but is it possible to completely miss a brain node?

It's been a while but I don't think so; not any of the nodes for the correct conclusions, anyway.

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to get both Warhammer games and that Endless Space 2 Starter Pack.

Any other recommendations on great strategy games with good prices right now? I'm looking for the sorts of games where you can end up sinking over a thousand hours into them, and most ideally, the developers are still releasing new content and/or there's a good mod community.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Heaven’s Vault any good? Because otherwise... yikes. The good telltale games are the kind of thing where basically anyone interested in them already owns them, so I’m not really sure who this bundle is for.

Heaven's Vault is an interesting game where you try and piece together a history of your region of space by attempting to translate a dead language from scraps of old writing. There's a lot of guessing involved, but as you see words and phrases in different contexts, it becomes clear where earlier translations were in error and you need to take another stab at a word. When you have a word down absolutely solid, that is clear as well.

There's quite a bit of places where the game branches off, which can cut you off from certain bits of information, or there are certain places which have hostile environmental conditions so you can't stay to freely investigate. The sailing from place to place is sometimes interesting or has interesting conversations, but largely it's just pretty. Upon release it was a little tiresome at times because there wasn't any way to auto-sail to a destination, even if there was no other conversation there.

There's also a NG+ where you get to keep your dictionary of words so you can start off getting better context and fill in some things you may have missed, and discover different things because of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

hulk hooligan posted:

Any other recommendations on great strategy games with good prices right now? I'm looking for the sorts of games where you can end up sinking over a thousand hours into them, and most ideally, the developers are still releasing new content and/or there's a good mod community.
I like Distant Worlds. It's a bit like a real-time Stellaris with a heavier focus on story events and quests. There's a lot of highly customizable automation options, so you can easily do things like selecting a handful of ships to personally control and explore the galaxy with while your empire mostly takes care of itself. It makes a point of trying to drop you into an "established-feeling" game world where civilizations and empires of various development levels already exist and need to be dealt with somehow, so it's not as easy to simply tech-rush and out-perform everyone else through a massive research headstart as it is in many other 4X games.

It's also currently down to 15$ from its usual price of 60 dollars, which doesn't happen very often.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

hulk hooligan posted:

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to get both Warhammer games and that Endless Space 2 Starter Pack.

I'm biased, but WH1/2 is all you need. Still being supported, and when WH3 comes out, and its roadmap of post-release FLC and DLC, all three games will combine into one massive game. I said I've got 1400 hours in 2, and I could see myself easily doubling that, no problem. Significant mod workshop support too

I have to really check myself when I go to add something to my steam cart, as I ask myself, "Aren't you just going to keep playing WH?"

I only caved for Persona 4 Golden, which is my palate cleanser at the moment. I'll drop 100 hours into that and then dive back into WH.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

expanded friend list size as you 'level up', for those that care about seeing an endless procession of toasts in their peripheral vision
Cheers, time to flog all these cards then.

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
Do I need both Warhammers installed to get that campaign, or can I just install 2?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well it was spend 15 bucks on Heaven's Vault or spend it on HV and a bunch of Telltale games...so.....

The Walking Dead
--

The Walking Dead - 400 Days
--FIA-MDV2C-FY6YT
to be

Oxenfree
----9-XCCZA-7FAJA
to see to see

The Wolf Among Us
0--

The Walking Dead: Michonne
0--4W-A29Q7-J9KBV
ell zee

The Walking Dead: Season Two
0LYXY-CJE2G-QK--K
three see

Batman - The Telltale Series
TAKEN

graventy fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 9, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

hulk hooligan posted:

Do I need both Warhammers installed to get that campaign, or can I just install 2?

You can just install 2. 'Mortal Empires' is the campaign. Though *sometimes* the installer gets pissy and you'll need to install the first game so it understands what you have, but try without first.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

graventy posted:

Batman - The Telltale Series
0L58V-JLT---F05YA
ell see
snagged this because I love watching cartoons that occasionally ask me to press a button

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also for Sherlock Crime and Punishments it says at the end of the case it can check your conclusion, but it may spoil the game? Does it, really?

EDIT: Nevermind, I kind of answered my own question.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 8, 2020

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Welp just beat Void Bastards. It wasnt that it was short - it took me 17 hours, but I just couldn't stop playing. It was just excellent. Sort of a FPS version of Rogue Legacy. Ish.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

strategery posted:

Welp just beat Void Bastards. It wasnt that it was short - it took me 17 hours, but I just couldn't stop playing. It was just excellent. Sort of a FPS version of Rogue Legacy. Ish.

How's it compare to Prey Mooncrash, if you've played that?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Void Bastards loving scares me. The bizarre movement of the sprites running at 60 fps while their animation runs at 3 fps makes everything weirdly terrifying the way Wolfenstein 3D used to terrify me. I don't know what it is. It fucks with my brain something fierce.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like Endless Space 2 quite a bit from what I've played and realized I've owned Endless Legend for forever but never played it, and I think the fantasy setting appeals to me a lot more -- about to boot it up for the first time, if I like it should I grab any DLC while it's on sale? I know Amplitude is weird with DLC and always has a confusing mix of huge game changing things and then ones that add like, 7 new songs to the soundtrack and a few pages of extra lore. Makes me just want to buy it all while it's cheap, so maybe their strategy works!

Orv
May 4, 2011

goferchan posted:

I like Endless Space 2 quite a bit from what I've played and realized I've owned Endless Legend for forever but never played it, and I think the fantasy setting appeals to me a lot more -- about to boot it up for the first time, if I like it should I grab any DLC while it's on sale? I know Amplitude is weird with DLC and always has a confusing mix of huge game changing things and then ones that add like, 7 new songs to the soundtrack and a few pages of extra lore. Makes me just want to buy it all while it's cheap, so maybe their strategy works!

The faction DLCs for Legend are even more impactful than the Space ones, each faction plays massively differently. Up to you if you wanna jump on them right away.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Orv posted:

The faction DLCs for Legend are even more impactful than the Space ones, each faction plays massively differently. Up to you if you wanna jump on them right away.

Might as well while they're on sale now, yeah, thanks. Just from the little bit I played I think this game will really hit the spot.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Rinkles posted:

How's it compare to Prey Mooncrash, if you've played that?

I never BEAT mooncrash, but did play it for a dozen hours or so. VB is a much smaller game by comparison (and much more forgiving). Instead of one large open space , the game is a series of small procedural levels (Ships). Your end goal is to collect a series of items that are crafted to form an item to help end the game ( you do this 4 times). But in between ships with those specific items on them, you choose which ships you will board, based on the ship type, items on the ship, enemies on the ship, amount of enemies on the ship, hazards on the ship, and crafting materials on the ship to make other items, such as guns and armor, which the game tells you outright. All of the scavenged items and crafted things are carried between deaths, so you are not losing a ton of progress. Characters also have traits which can be useful like the ability to know if the ships power is off before you get on versus cosmetic like colorblindness.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there any way to see how many copies of a game were bought on Steam?

I remember years ago I was intrigued to hear Final Fantasy XIII sold 500K right away when it came to Steam. It's one of those games that gets abused a lot on forums so you think everyone hates it but the truth is kinda the opposite.

Like David Cage's games which are doing extremely well on Steam. Beyond: Two Souls even has a higher score (91% Positive of 1,433 reviews) and more reviews than Heavy Rain which is interesting to me since it was always received the weakest of the HD titles Detroit has 7000+ reviews and is at 89% Positive. Was just curious if I could find the actual sales figures somewhere since most buyers don't review, obviously.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there any way to see how many copies of a game were bought on Steam?

I remember years ago I was intrigued to hear Final Fantasy XIII sold 500K right away when it came to Steam. It's one of those games that gets abused a lot on forums so you think everyone hates it but the truth is kinda the opposite.

Like David Cage's games which are doing extremely well on Steam. Beyond: Two Souls even has a higher score (91% Positive of 1,433 reviews) and more reviews than Heavy Rain which is interesting to me since it was always received the weakest of the HD titles Detroit has 7000+ reviews and is at 89% Positive. Was just curious if I could find the actual sales figures somewhere since most buyers don't review, obviously.

Steamspy probably isn't very accurate anymore (if it ever was) but it can at least give you a vague idea. I've got Enhanced Steam installed which shows you that and other metrics on the store pages on the browser.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Intergalactic Fishing report: It's fun. The graphics are pretty hard to stomach compared to Ultimate Fishing Simulator, obviously, but IF has something that's lacking in UFS: You actually need to put some thought into how to catch the drat fish.

I like it. It could stand to have more music and better graphics but it's a very interesting game. I only played an hour and a half but I guess my only wish right now is that there were more fishing methods and tools available.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was thinking about Distant Worlds, now that it's 15 bucks, but according to some reviews....i'm seeing that apparently it doesn't work for people that have windows 10?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
If I wanted to check out djmax should I just get the base game or is all the extra stuff in the complete version worth it. Thought to tell what’s what when games have a bunch of weird titles for all the dlc packs that don’t tell you much about them. I’m assuming most of these are gonna be song packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I was thinking about Distant Worlds, now that it's 15 bucks, but according to some reviews....i'm seeing that apparently it doesn't work for people that have windows 10?

Just installed and launched it on W10 with zero problems but of course YMMV.