Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

there are goon podcasts

I have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xaris posted:

it’s be slashie/tinybrontosaurus and she’d be hijacking the pod to do struggle sessions for 1.5 hrs each time

So...basically "Hellbent" with Sarah Lerner?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

it is interesting and a little horrifying that serious right-wingers really do believe that the left has won an almost total victory over the last few decades and that this is why everything is going to poo poo

not even talking bizarre throwbacks like peter hitchens, this is a pretty common attitude among the hard right

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1280508025502085121?s=20
"moderate" republicans literally believe their will be a communist coup to put Kamela Harris into power if Biden wins. The brain rot is real.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would unironically listen to a slashie podcast

edit ironically

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

"moderate" republicans literally believe their will be a communist coup to put Kamela Harris into power if Biden wins. The brain rot is real.

lmfao I saw this yesterday but not the author, I thought it was newsmax-tier. maybe replublicans are bad as a whole??

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

critical analysis of any ideological bent in mainstream politics has been pushed to the sidelines so hard that an event like the Taiping Rebellion could plausibly happen

Gripweed posted:

hooting freaks
as a hooting freak i resent this

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

MizPiz posted:

I'm honestly astounded that the Chapos think there will be less culture war stuff if a Democrat's in office when practically all of the culture war stuff they hate started under Obama.

Biden will have won without owing liberal culture warriors anything. The culture war will still go on but very little of it will come from the Biden administration.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

I'm honestly astounded that the Chapos think there will be less culture war stuff if a Democrat's in office when practically all of the culture war stuff they hate started under Obama.

yeah that seemed like a really dumb take. all the idpol bullshit is just gonna ramp up under a democratic administration as a cudgel against any sort of class-based criticism of policy

Xaris posted:

it’s be slashie/tinybrontosaurus and she’d be hijacking the pod to do struggle sessions for 1.5 hrs each time

slashie's posting enemies grievance hour and undoubtedly true stories about growing up surrounded by manhattan billionaires and failing to get a job in hollywood despite her raft of connections would be good for a couple listens

Dmitri-9 posted:

Biden will have won without owing liberal culture warriors anything. The culture war will still go on but very little of it will come from the Biden administration.

just because biden's a lead-brained dinosaur doesn't mean the bloodless freaks working in his administration will be

The Muppets On PCP has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Jul 7, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

Minus the communist part obviously, I've had this thought myself. It isn't a stretch to think that there will be constant infighting in a Biden administration, especially between the VP, who will necessarily have expectations of becoming president, and whoever controls Biden, especially Jill. What if Joe really does become incapacitated, but his "team" don't want to lose their positions to the VP's?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

slashie's posting enemies grievance hour and undoubtedly true stories about growing up surrounded by manhattan billionaires and failing to get a job in hollywood despite her raft of connections would be good for a couple listens

The only way this could be funny is if it was extremely honest and self-aware, and, well

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

that's going to be hard as she just got caught

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Position posted:

noooo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Minus the communist part obviously, I've had this thought myself. It isn't a stretch to think that there will be constant infighting in a Biden administration, especially between the VP, who will necessarily have expectations of becoming president, and whoever controls Biden, especially Jill. What if Joe really does become incapacitated, but his "team" don't want to lose their positions to the VP's?

this is the main reason i'm not 100% sure that it's going to be kamala harris. she's ambitious and vicious enough that she could very plausibly take charge of the party and build her own machine of weirdo loyalists, and i think the biden people are wary of that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Position posted:

lol

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i think the new chapo is necessary medicine particularly for people constantly harping on about downticket races etc.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember when a better world was possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g4LxLHoIag

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Biden might not make it to November. We might see Harris Duckworth 2020.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:thunk:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
freddie de bore

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I believe in free speech for people who agree with me. Everyone else is on a case by case basis. I do not support open debate at all.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

this is the main reason i'm not 100% sure that it's going to be kamala harris. she's ambitious and vicious enough that she could very plausibly take charge of the party and build her own machine of weirdo loyalists, and i think the biden people are wary of that
no one likes harris outside the party elites. californians don't even loving like her.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i personally favor extreme but wildly arbitrary restrictions on speech so you never know when you're going to get it. keeps people on their toes.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i personally favor extreme but wildly arbitrary restrictions on speech so you never know when you're going to get it. keeps people on their toes.

ah. the Pee-Wee approach.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gosh i can't believe some people would have the nerve to be critical of a letter calling for free speech signed by a number of right wing lunatics who routinely advocate for stripping the rights of others

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Freddie back from the dead

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
His facebook statuses are a doozy.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Victory Position posted:

ah. the Pee-Wee approach.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gosh i can't believe some people would have the nerve to be critical of a letter calling for free speech signed by a number of right wing lunatics who routinely advocate for stripping the rights of others

Almost as if "free speech" only applies to the right and people keep getting suckered(?) into showing their rear end.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
*chuckling to self* freeze peach

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

edit: can't imbed image for some reason

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

a mod in favour of making up the rules as they go? who'da thunk?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Last I remember of freddie de boer was he had a big meltdown post about getting too many replies that were simpsons screenshots from frinkiac and then he just disappeared until like this month

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/shafieikeyvan/status/1280617693704531971?s=20

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Last I remember of freddie de boer was he had a big meltdown post about getting too many replies that were simpsons screenshots from frinkiac and then he just disappeared until like this month

I hate to be stigmatizing but he is basically in permanent meltdown mode because he has trouble controlling his bipolar disorder. Every new dispatch I see from him usually has an explainer about him returning from a hiatus with a different and original excuse.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

was it Leslie who said treat literally no one actually believes in free speech if you press them hard enough? because that seems like the correct take.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Victory Position posted:

lmao

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's funny because the Trump admin is already ridiculously factionalist, but at least Pence and the evangelical psychos he represents are held back by Trump being an irreplaceable figurehead. Somehow, the Dems will do worse.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Woodrow Wilson 2.0.

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
Besides the ghoulishness and hypocrisy of many of the individual people who signed that Harper's open letter, Harpers for years has basically existed as the vanity project of John Macarthur, grandson of the billionaire who founded the MacAuthor grant foundation, who got the magazine from his daddy. It's basically been the refugee for anti-metoo, cancelled sex creeps, anti-feminism, and people who think they're slightly too good for Quilette type blogs like Lionel Shriver. Basically against anything an old man would deem as the kids going too far.
The magazine has been through three editors in the past 10 years who have been fired or quit in protest of someone else being fired because of the whims of MacArthur, the last one being fired for questioning the publication of that half-baked Katie Roiphe metoo hit piece (which was largely just complaining about various younger women in media's tweets once her scoop of trying to out the lovely Media Men creator (who also sucks but that's a different story) was preempted). This and the usual union busting. Also maybe it's just because they'll put their names on anything, but there's some sort of terf subtheme going through the list of people signing.

Paffgen has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hell, the only "defense" of it is that Noah Chomsky signed the letter with "But he had seen a lot of his colleagues go down on free speech clauses" which immediately goes to poo poo when you see that a bunch of the signatures are from people who had a big hand on such!