Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Dogen posted:

What’s your budget, and are you trying to cut costs by going non4k/nonsmart? Def no savings to be had avoiding smart features (if you could).

I don't have a définitive budget, I just want to spend as little as possible since my needs are more than met by my current TV, I'd rather not create new needs by getting something super awesome and my kids might also just break the new TV at some point in the future.

I'm in Canada and looking at Costco and Best Buy it seems like most "basic" 4k smart 40 inch TVs are around 500$. That's more than I'd like to spend, but if you guys tell me that this is pretty much the minimum price for a TV these days and that there's no way to cut costs by getting something with "older" technology, then I guess I'll just pay up.

I'm not against having a "smart" TV if it's not going to cost more. I'll just never use the options. My TV signal is not 4k so it's the same for the 4k. I don't mind having the feature, but it will be unused so if it comes with a premium I don't want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Are you in Ontario? I'll sell you my plasma :haw:

It even has component video which pretty much everyone has ditched for the inferior composite.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 7, 2020

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Did anyone else with a TCL Roku tv just get a zillion streaming channels added to the live TV guide? I didn't opt in to this and can't find a way to remove them all at once. It's remarkably annoying.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Did anyone else with a TCL Roku tv just get a zillion streaming channels added to the live TV guide? I didn't opt in to this and can't find a way to remove them all at once. It's remarkably annoying.
Did you, like, log into Pluto TV or something? Those channels get added to the guide if you use it, iirc.

KingColliwog posted:

I don't mind having the feature, but it will be unused so if it comes with a premium I don't want it.
4k is the standard and hasn't been a premium price point in a bit.

Here in the Failed Nation States, you can get a pretty basic (re: HDR no way) set for like $250. Dunno what that translates to for Canada, tho.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Here in the Failed Nation States, you can get a pretty basic (re: HDR no way) set for like $250. Dunno what that translates to for Canada, tho.

You can typically add a third for the exchange rate ( :shepicide: ), plus another 10-20% for import duties/distributor monopoly/not being the Land of the Crying Eagle :911:, etc.

Like, Android Police mentions cheap TCL/Toshiba Roku TVs for ~$250 at least a couple times a year, but I've never seen them for less than CAD $400 in Ontario before taxes.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 7, 2020

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I'm moving to a new and bigger place in a few weeks and once I get there will be buying a new 65 inch tv. Trying to keep costs somewhere around $1K with some flexibility.

I can get a TCL roku 6 series from best buy for $800. Or a Vizio PX65-G1 from costco for $1K, which will get me cash back and two years extra warranty with my card.

Thoughts on which I should get? The Vizio seems like it had the edge performance-wise for not much more. Anything else I should consider?

Also, I have a Roku premiere that I can add to this tv if I go Vizio. But then I'll need to get another one for my older tv. Or I could just get the Roku soundbar for the new tv for $50 more. Reviews look pretty positive and I like that it's upgradeable over time with a sub and other speakers. Anyone have any experience with it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Douche4Sale posted:

I'm moving to a new and bigger place in a few weeks and once I get there will be buying a new 65 inch tv. Trying to keep costs somewhere around $1K with some flexibility.

I can get a TCL roku 6 series from best buy for $800. Or a Vizio PX65-G1 from costco for $1K, which will get me cash back and two years extra warranty with my card.

Thoughts on which I should get? The Vizio seems like it had the edge performance-wise for not much more. Anything else I should consider?

Also, I have a Roku premiere that I can add to this tv if I go Vizio. But then I'll need to get another one for my older tv. Or I could just get the Roku soundbar for the new tv for $50 more. Reviews look pretty positive and I like that it's upgradeable over time with a sub and other speakers. Anyone have any experience with it?
My former roommate had a TCL 615, the predecessor to the current 625. I have a Vizio PQ65, the predecessor to the PX65. I never compared them side-by-side, but I'd take the PX65 hands down. It's much better in every way except maybe for the interface, but I use a Fire TV stick which I prefer to Roku anyway.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Douche4Sale posted:

Go with the Vizio. It's gonna get brighter, has more local dimming zones and an actual native 120hz refresh rate which is my biggest "want" out of my TCL 6 series.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Maybe a dumb question but what is the benefit of a native 120hz panel when it doesn’t support displayport or hdmi 2.1? The Looks like the Vizio being mentioned only supports 1080p@120 according to rtings (which is also weird right? Since hdmi 2.0 can carry 1440p@120).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Taima posted:

Maybe a dumb question but what is the benefit of a native 120hz panel when it doesn’t support displayport or hdmi 2.1? The Looks like the Vizio being mentioned only supports 1080p@120 according to rtings (which is also weird right? Since hdmi 2.0 can carry 1440p@120).

It enables better motion handling which is what I'm referring to. Sports, movies etc all have noticeably less blur and motion fuckery with a higher refresh rate. It's something that I never really thought would bother me, but goddamn I hate 60hz panels.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah 120hz has been around for quite some time just to solve the 3:2 pulldown problem

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, since most content is 24fps, 120hz is the minimum refresh rate that services 24fps, 30fps, and 60fps without cadence errors (5:5, 4:4, 2:2).

Even higher refresh rates are useful for emissive displays or LCDs with black frame insertion. If you can achive a higher decay rate of the image itself (necessitating you refresh an unchanging pixel faster) then you can achive higher motion resolution when the pixels are changing frequently. That's why plasma was so prized for motion resolution, their individual pixels were refreshed at 960hz on the higher end models (even if the input refreshrate of the whole panel was far less). 960hz means there was a much quicker decay in pixel illumination when it was time for it to change to something else which lessens blur.

It's really the difference between Sample and Hold and Impulse display technologies.

Sample and Hold is what LCDs and OLEDs use. An image is displayed the whole time at a fixed intensity and only the pixels that change...change. Impulse is what CRT and Plasma used. The pixel is only at peak intensity when charged by its energy source and then immediately starts fading. That causes strobe effects, but it also increases motion resolution since your image persistence fades quicker and your eyes aren't combining two different images. The 960hz refresh of the pixel for plasma was to limit the effect of strobe.

That's also why OLEDs can be jarring sometimes. They have near instant pixel response times. So your eyes are sometimes fooled into seeing both frames at once during fast motion which leads to more perceived stuttering on lower framerate material. LCD avoids this somewhat with slower pixel response. The ghosting adds a natural image blur that keeps your mind from seeing two distinct frames at once.

This is why there is a lot of interest in Black Frame Insertion. Tossing that black frame in-between can really help break up image persistence, but you have to have a sufficiently high frame rate or the black frame is shown too long and you get strobing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 7, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My TCL 6 series arrives in a few hours and I'm just wondering how to get the most out of it. If there's anything I should do setings wise? There will be a PS4 Pro hooked up to it. I'll probably up my Netflix sub to 4K for the month at least just to see if it's worth it. Knowing very little about HDR, is that something like UHD streaming that has to be supported or does it work with pretty much any video? I know it has to be supported in games.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

veni veni veni posted:

My TCL 6 series arrives in a few hours and I'm just wondering how to get the most out of it. If there's anything I should do setings wise? There will be a PS4 Pro hooked up to it. I'll probably up my Netflix sub to 4K for the month at least just to see if it's worth it. Knowing very little about HDR, is that something like UHD streaming that has to be supported or does it work with pretty much any video? I know it has to be supported in games.

I used the Rtings calibration guide, which worked pretty well. Each input needs to be handled separately.

I had to manually activate HDR on my PS4, but not sure if the Pro handles that automatically.

Amazon's 4K content tends to look best on my TV, for whatever reason, so if you have Prime and are looking for a system demo I might go there first

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazon has the best 4k HDR content, it looks amazing compared to Netflix on my OLED.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

veni veni veni posted:

As morestuff said, start with the rtings guide and go from there.

Something to note is that the motion smoothing (soap opera effect poo poo) is turned on on a lot of inputs by default. And each input can have different settings (for if there is SDR or HDR content) so sometimes I found myself having to turn it off twice. Once the first time HDR content played and secondly the first time SDR content played.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Content has to be encoded for it yeah. If your source and your set are correctly configured HDR will kick on when detected. There's an ok amount of HDR titles now, like pretty much any original content Netflix or Amazon has put out in the last 3ish years is UHD. HDR is a big difference maker, stuff just being in 4K not so much. A lot of tvs have a simulated HDR mode for SDR content but they're all trash AFAIK.

Is this why your batmobiles are moving??

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Looks like my insurance is coming through on replacing my tvs. So is $2400 and $1700 the best I'll probably get best buy to do on the LG CX 65/55? Web site says they'll price match but some quick looking around online shows that's pretty much the going price for them right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

Is this why your batmobiles are moving??

:lol: yeah. Good catch. Figured I'd put my old TV in the bedroom where it was, although I still haven't decided if a 65 inch TV in a bedroom is completely absurd or not haha.

Thanks guys. I'll check out Rtings.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Amazon has the best 4k HDR content, it looks amazing compared to Netflix on my OLED.

Netflix's 4K HDR content looks like rear end, I've seen DVDs look better to be honest. Amazon stuff looks pretty natural and nice at least, and the ATV app seems to be kicking into HDR again which is nice (it stopped doing that a while back).

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

FilthyImp posted:

Did you, like, log into Pluto TV or something? Those channels get added to the guide if you use it, iirc.
Nope, I haven't used any service like that or added any Roku channels beyond Disney+ and Amazon. It looks like this is widespread, and something that was pushed out after the most recent update.

Here's something else I found. Apparently they're just cramming all these channels into the guide with no way to opt out or disable them. As if that wasn't bad enough, the guide is noticably choppy on my tv now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just your reminder that Roku's customers are the advertisers, not you. Roku is primarily an ad platform that happens to stream video.

That's not to say their devices are bad (they are good even, I have several myself). It's just something to keep in mind when trying to make sense of their behavior.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Netflix's 4K HDR content looks like rear end, I've seen DVDs look better to be honest. Amazon stuff looks pretty natural and nice at least, and the ATV app seems to be kicking into HDR again which is nice (it stopped doing that a while back).

Were you making sure to select the UHD version of the show? Because you manually have to select the UHD version of a show (on prime video on the roku, at least), it's loving stupid.

I think Amazon definitely throws a higher bitrate stream than Netflix or Disney+ but it'd be interesting to see.

Discs of course look best of all, but I think I'm the only one buying them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazon has the worst loving GUI though it’s insane. Most people don’t even know about all the free RiffTrax movies it has.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dogen posted:

Were you making sure to select the UHD version of the show? Because you manually have to select the UHD version of a show (on prime video on the roku, at least), it's loving stupid.

I think Amazon definitely throws a higher bitrate stream than Netflix or Disney+ but it'd be interesting to see.

Discs of course look best of all, but I think I'm the only one buying them.

Yeah, not sure what went wrong but for a good chunk of time it just wasn't serving an HDR copy of any 4K UHD shows that I knew previously worked. It got to the point where it was just better for me to put them in Plex and watch them on that. Although to be honest, that's the easiest method for everything regardless of apps working or not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Amazon has the worst loving GUI though it’s insane. Most people don’t even know about all the free RiffTrax movies it has.

Yeah, I found them by accident, looking for MST3K episodes and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

They have a pre-90's content selection that's arguably better and broader than Netflix's, and they have zero dedicated tabs for it because everything is a self-reinforcing, circular algorithm.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 8, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

GreenNight posted:

Can't disagree with you, but for me Netflix is nearly as bad these days. "Here's what we think you should like" with no ability to dive deeper by genre, etc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn off motion smoothing on my TCL 6 series. Everything online says it should be under picture settings but all I have is

TV Brightness
Dolby vision notification on/off

I feel like I’ve been through every setting on the TV and can’t find it anywhere.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn off motion smoothing on my TCL 6 series. Everything online says it should be under picture settings but all I have is

TV Brightness
Dolby vision notification on/off

I feel like I’ve been through every setting on the TV and can’t find it anywhere.

Go to an input (Netflix, PS4, etc) and hit the star button

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have

Move input
Remove input
Check for updates
Give us feedback
Close

And nothing else

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I have

Move input
Remove input
Check for updates
Give us feedback
Close

And nothing else

Actually select the input first, so you’re watching Netflix or playing the PS4

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

veni veni veni posted:

I have

Move input
Remove input
Check for updates
Give us feedback
Close

And nothing else

Yep you have to go to settings *while* watching a signal. Click the star button while something is playing and the settings for that input will pop up.

This sort of goes back to what I was mentioning earlier. You'll notice it's saving settings for each input AND each type of signal in each input.

So you'll be watching an SDR signal and it's got motion smoothing on. You'll turn it off. Then it will stay like that but next time you watch an HDR signal... it's back on. And you'll have to turn it off again.

But say your Xbox is on input 1 and FireTV on input 2? Well you'll have to do it again for each input.

But you should only have to turn it off once per signal then it stays off. It seems stupid it's not a universal option but it's so you can set up and keep settings for certain situations.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 8, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok found it, thanks.

Yeah I wish there was some way to universally turn it off because there is absolutely no situation where I’d use it but eh. It’s not a huge deal now that I know where to find it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Initial setup is kind of a pain but I appreciate the level of control. I leave the motion smoothing on low for some of the inputs where it’s genuinely helpful

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it normal for HDR to look sort of dim/Dark? Stuff played through my TV via Roku looks fine but my PS4 looks too dark for my liking. Changing the HDR settings to bright doesn't seem to help either. This is across everything. Games, the XMB, streaming.

Also, is there some way to use wireless USB headphones on this thing? It has a USB port but they don't seem to work on it. Would be nice because I watch most things with headphones so I have to use my PS4 for everything if not, even if the Roku interface seems way better.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 8, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

veni veni veni posted:

Is Stuff played through my TV via Roku looks fine but my PS4 looks too dark for my liking. Changing the HDR settings to bright doesn't seem to help either. This is across everything. Games, the XMB, streaming.
Have you tried the HDR Tweak utility on the PS4? Helped me out a while back.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

The Amazon Prime app (at least on the Roku) doesn't even give you a decent way to view, sort, or filter the movies you've purchased. You just get a single row or strip that shows 5 or 6 titles, and you have to scroll left or right forever to find anything.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a 1080p Apple TV and a 1080p receiver going to my E9. Presumably my best route to watch 4K is to get a 4K Apple TV/4K receiver, correct? My current receiver unfortunately doesn't support ARC very well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Update for Amazon Fire TV devices and smart televisions (Toshiba, and others):

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/08/amazon-fire-tv-adds-support-for-youtube-tv-and-sling-tv-with-hulu-live-tv-coming-soon/

quote:

- YouTube TV and Sling TV are integrated as of today, so you'll be able to see content from both services in the Live tab. Furthermore, Hulu + Live TV will be made available in the near future.

- US customers with Fire TV Edition Smart TVs or Fire TV Recast DVR can also get over-the-air channels that will be integrated in much the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Residency Evil posted:

I have a 1080p Apple TV and a 1080p receiver going to my E9. Presumably my best route to watch 4K is to get a 4K Apple TV/4K receiver, correct? My current receiver unfortunately doesn't support ARC very well.

In the meantime you could watch using the apps on the TV and run an optical out to the receiver, but yeah that’s my preferred setup.