Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mr. Nice! posted:

Andy and Pat gonna set some loving records.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rig the place with explosives and give him the dead man's switch so when he drops, everyone gets entombed with him.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Now is the time for Andy Reid to go on keto so he can survive the duration of Mahomes' contract

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Andy Reid is cool and good and I hope they stay good.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

he died as he lived

coaching football and eating ribs

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Today has been a day for football

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Kind of shocked this Hitler quote thing just blew on by with basically no controversy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well he just issued a second apology

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1280642712228622336

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kind of shocked this Hitler quote thing just blew on by with basically no controversy.

Why? There aren't a bunch of Jewish players, and the Eagle's owner probably doesn't want to come down too hard on a black player given the entire state of racial discourse in the U.S. right now.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I demand to know why I haven't seen this before

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1280284801430360066

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

Pretty sure that's Sam Beckett who leaped into that situation and had to save the RB's life by taking out his own team mate

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spoeank posted:

I really wish he was mic’d up, I’d love to hear his “fwwaaaaaaaaah!” as he went over

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So was DJax posting Hitler quotes or fake Hitler quotes?

not that one option is good

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He was under the impression if you take Hitler's words that someone else quoted (WITH HITLER ATTRIBUTION!), then it is ok to use them.

oh yeah, then doubled down and thought it would be extra ok if you scratched out "Hitler said" before the quote. Whole thing is wild.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
But also they weren’t real Hitler quotes, the guy Watson was quoting made them up as part of a fake dialogue between Hitler and a soldier.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Fake Hitler quotes. Genuinely don't understand how anyone could read them and think Hitler would have said them.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The quotes are from Black Hebrew Israelite stuff, not sure how many layers of irony poison nonsense ends up with it being attributed to Hitler, but there you go. It's also a super fragmented belief system, with tons of different tiny churches and sects, but my guess is it originally came from the Church of the Living God, the Pillar Ground of Truth for All Nations because they've got a presence in Philadelphia and they have the coolest name.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Fake Hitler quotes written by an anti-semite who belongs to a faith that has elements recognized by the Southern Poverty Law Center as hate groups. It's extremely 2020.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Can't even post the dril tweet with this one. It's too obvious.

https://twitter.com/jordanheckff/status/1280538458591821828?s=21

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
man imagine seeing a screenshot of that tweet in like 2015.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Penisaurus Sex posted:

man imagine seeing a screenshot of that tweet in like 2015.

2015 Me: After a year with Dan Snyder? yeah, I get it...

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The difference in level of response is interesting. If some players had put those quotes out there they'd immediately be deemed an anti-Semitic monster. Instead DJax gets "Well he was probably confused and didn't understand" or it's put down to him being just plain stupid. That Black Israelite stuff is nothing new and they've been saying loving awful poo poo for a while now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
What some players do you have in mind?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thaddius the Large posted:

In the opposite direction of your question if Sammy Watkins had posted this I'd be like, well this is just another day of Sammy Watkins posting something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

In the opposite direction of your question if Sammy Watkins had posted this I'd be like, well this is just another day of Sammy Watkins posting something.

"He seems to be more lucid. Thats... good? I mean, probably?"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm a little surprised the response wasn't stronger given like a third of the league's teams are owned by Jewish people.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Ah yes, here we go

quote:

The NFL Players Association has informed its board of player representatives that the league wants to place 35 percent of player salaries in escrow in order to help manage costs during the 2020 season, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media. NFL Media previously floated the possibility of salary givebacks this season, given that the league is facing lost revenue from fewer (or no) fans at games and fewer (or no) preseason games. The cancellation of regular-season games would reduce revenues even farther.

The labor deal has no mechanism to permit salary reductions. At best, if no games are played, the league would be able to argue under the language of the standard player contract that no duty to pay player salaries ever arises. If only one game is played, the CBA supports an argument that the players get their full pay.

quote:

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reported that NFLPA exec Don Davis told those reps on a conference call that the union’s response was to tell the league to “kick rocks” when they put forth the proposal. Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas posted a couple of tweets in response as well.

In the first, Thomas wrote that “everyone will sit out and not play until they get their stuff together before we do this.” That elicited a response from Patrick Mahomes that Thomas replied to by writing that the proposal “has to be a joke” and that “Roger and those owners better use their billions and put it in escrow or plan accordingly.”

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

man, Tua is gonna be so healthy by the time anyone plays football! I can't wait!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tua is gonna retire of old age before football returns

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Most white ones as an example. I mean someone up thread put out there that the NFL don't want to come down too hard on a black player right now and I can see that. Feels like maybe there's something a bit problematic about assuming a black player is confused and doesn't understand as opposed to on some level believing it. I mean the pseudo-quote isn't exactly subtle.

With regards to player pay at what point does it become cheaper for the ownership to lose the season entirely rather than play a shorter season and still pay salaries out fully? Michael Thomas might get what he's looking for.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 8, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

Tua is gonna retire of old age before football returns

Can’t disappoint if the game is never played

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

J33uk posted:

Most white ones as an example. I mean someone up thread put out there that the NFL don't want to come down too hard on a black player right now and I can see that. Feels like maybe there's something a bit problematic about assuming a black player is confused and doesn't understand as opposed to on some level believing it. I mean the pseudo-quote isn't exactly subtle.

With regards to player pay at what point does it become cheaper for the ownership to lose the season entirely rather than play a shorter season and still pay salaries out fully? Michael Thomas might get what he's looking for.

I think it has more to do with with the quote being a fictional Hitler citing Qanon style nonsense from a movement most sports fans are probably not familiar with. If he'd actually quoted something from Mein Kampf I think there would be more outrage.

You might not be wrong though. Think of the Pats kicker, no one was willing to give that guy the benefit of the doubt over his tattoo and I think in large part that's because we've just experienced so many white athletes expressing horribly racist opinions recently that we're highly skeptical to believe someone's made a choice or statement out of ignorance and not intentional hate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wasn’t that the guy with the three percent era tattoo? Because people where willing to give him the benefit despite it being an extremely niche thing

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I mean I'm sure it happened because we live in hell world, but I really didn't see anyone giving the Pats' nazi kicker the benefit of the doubt. He and the team have been pretty loudly criticized for it from all angles.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

J33uk posted:

Well, off the bat I’d point out that white players don’t have centuries of oppression and mistreatment coming behind them, so yeah they don’t get the benefit of a doubt that PoC do. There’s also the context that, at a time when PoC players and society are speaking up about racial issues, if a PoC meaning to speak in support of this fucks up, they get more of a benefit of a doubt than someone who is presumably not speaking in support of it. Like, yeah, there’s different standards for people of color, and that’s also meant to address the centuries of oppression that got us to this point; these aren’t abstract hypothetical philosophical arguments, they’re playing out right in front of us, and trying to bring the conversation to some overarching generalized “let’s just treat everyone as equals without any more thought” skews into some All Lives Matter territory.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Well, off the bat I’d point out that white players don’t have centuries of oppression and mistreatment coming behind them, so yeah they don’t get the benefit of a doubt that PoC do. There’s also the context that, at a time when PoC players and society are speaking up about racial issues, if a PoC meaning to speak in support of this fucks up, they get more of a benefit of a doubt than someone who is presumably not speaking in support of it. Like, yeah, there’s different standards for people of color, and that’s also meant to address the centuries of oppression that got us to this point; these aren’t abstract hypothetical philosophical arguments, they’re playing out right in front of us, and trying to bring the conversation to some overarching generalized “let’s just treat everyone as equals without any more thought” skews into some All Lives Matter territory.

You're right that small gently caress ups are often used as a weapon to bludgeon players in his position. Those who speak out on issues of race and then have the twitter swarm of racist fucks descend. Posting a highlighted section of a book talking about white Jews and their plans for world domination isn't a small gently caress up. Then posting the same thing with the paragraphs explicitly mentioning Hitler and the Jews blacked out to seemingly explain what you really meant isn't a small gently caress up.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What would Dak get on the open market? How about Deshaun?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

wandler20 posted:

Both probably get somewhere around 35-40 million. QBs half as good as them don't hit the open market unless they have massive red flags.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

wandler20 posted:

There's a subset of Cowboys fans who think Dak's completely worthless, but I'd guess like $35m per realistically.

Watson probably gets a bit more since (IMO anyway) he's a better pure passer.

Both played for moron coaches and I can't really figure out which one is worse between Garrett and Buttchin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Both probably get somewhere around 35-40 million. QBs half as good as them don't hit the open market unless they have massive red flags.

That's not wrong, and you definitely need a good QB to compete, but can you build a SB winning team when you're paying a good but not transcendent QB 20% of your cap?