Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Oh OK, that makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
funny how the anime designs are on a weird middle ground between the old and the new

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/supergreatfrien/status/1280685185781170176

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wait did Azuma just remake Daioh completely?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

He redrew stuff? I feel like it looks off

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
there's just occasional redraws of panels and splash art

it's sometimes odd like "oh, but the original art had a certain feeling here that's lost for the simplicity of the yotsuba style"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah like, Azumanga's old art had this detail level to it that the newer art Azuma does just doesn't cut it for

Maybe it's a good thing Yen Press' release doesn't have those new panels

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the one on the right

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

hot take: I liked the Azumanga dub

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
did he change Chihiro to having brown hair or is that Yomi in the new one?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a reason why Yotsuba has never received an anime adaptation? I mean, aside from the Nyanbo! spin-off thingy. Seems kinda like it'd be a surefire thing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

did he change Chihiro to having brown hair or is that Yomi in the new one?
It looks like Yomi without her glasses on but I can't tell because she also looks like a Yotsuba background character and Chiyo looks like Yotsuba

In the original it looks like Tomo is addressing her

Wark Say posted:

Is there a reason why Yotsuba has never received an anime adaptation? I mean, aside from the Nyanbo! spin-off thingy. Seems kinda like it'd be a surefire thing.
Supposedly Azuma hated how Azumanga was adapted so he doesn't want Yotsuba to get one, plus he thinks it won't work as an anime

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 8, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

From what I've heard he wasn't a fan of the increased amount of jokes with Kimura. Though Azuma is still the guy who created the Kimura character so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zeether posted:

hot take: I liked the Azumanga dub

It's good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The updated Azumanga panels really feels off because they're the Yotsuba style without the really good Yotsuba backgrounds. If the updated panels had those they probably would look really good but for the most part they are just head shots so they end up feeling just there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the kimura gags are so actively terrible that they almost ruin the increased screentime given to kaori because 90% of the time she appears kimura appears like ten seconds later to creep on her, and the anthology release of the azumanga daioh manga cuts him out of a few punchlines

it's a shame cause if he wasn't there the anime would be. fine. but some of his gags are so bad that they almost made me kinda hate it at times

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 8, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

From what I've heard he wasn't a fan of the increased amount of jokes with Kimura. Though Azuma is still the guy who created the Kimura character so.
It took me too long to realize the Kimura stuff was really :stare:

And yeah, poor Kaorin gets reduced to the butt of all the Kimura jokes even when she finally gets to be with Sakaki during the school festival dance. I used to find that part funny when I was younger and now I don't.

(I also lowkey wish we got to hear Sakaki's English VA sing the entirety of her character song because she pulled it off well in the dub for that one brief moment)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the school dance gag is bad but i think the real like. bad one is when they move into the third year. and the joke is haha now kaori is stuck in a class with kimura where he harasses her for eternity. h.. hilarious...?

like i've been watching princess tutu and the cat teacher guy in that is... kiiiinda the same joke but, it softens it with him being a literal fantasy character and making the punchline that he literally always gets owned. vs kimura being... insanely uncomfortably targeted and just kind of. allowed to be that.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 8, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the third year for Kaori stands out as being extra mean spirited given that the manga/anime goes out of it's way to give Sakaki a happy ending to her long arc with cats.

Super glad Yotsuba has avoided Kimura and Azuma has grown out of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf the azumanga anniversary thing pretty much like. confirmed that kaori is 100% romantically interested in sakaki. and also just has the funniest jokes in the entire series. so i think he just generally got a lot better as an author

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kaorin marries Sakaki and Kimura gets slapped with a big fat restraining order

I don't think we got the anniversary manga here sadly, Yen Press was like "here's the old release except now Osaka has her Southern accent from the dub" and that was it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'll see y'all tomorrow when Re Zero airs again. Brain is trembling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAgmGZ9iQ2Y

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I still have 2 ADV manga volumes of Azumanga

Remember when ADV did manga

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Torako?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And of course it's easy to go 'well Yotsuba doesn't really have anything like Kimura' but if you look at stuff like Kuma Miko, didn't I say to make my abilities average in the next life (I think that was the one?) and any of the recent production dumpster fires we've all already forgotten the name of, there's plenty of ways for an adaptation to go wrong, between bizarre writing changes, production committee mandated rushing to get certain marketable things introduced earlier than they were in the manga , bad anime original material, and production meltdowns. I can get not wanting your work to have an anime.

Like, I'm sure plenty of mangaka have that as one of their goals, and I'm sure most who have gotten anime adaptations are at least somewhat happy it helped get the word out (and plenty who adored how their manga's anime adaptation turned out) but at the end of the day it's still mostly a marketing tool for the manga's publishers and a chance to create cash-in merch. It doesn't have any bearing on the manga itself, and unless it's a DBZ level merchandising monster it's not like you're even getting that many kickbacks from it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm going to make a manga so that aoi yuuki can voice a character

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

there's plenty of ways for an adaptation to go wrong
This is why I don't ever really want a komi-san anime, where them nailing the humor and timing of jokes and character gags and everything that works well in the 4koma version would be incredibly easy to gently caress up.

Plus if they adapted the manga faithfully we'd have the considerably uncomfortable first stretch before it became a bit more family-friendly, with Actual Kidnapper Yamai. or that one girl who wanted to be komi's dog(?) and was quickly shuffled to the background, reappeared with a food-based gimmick, then was quietly written out of the series entirely

And another series that the anime adaptation completely botched it was My Monster Secret

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 8, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zeether posted:

Kaorin marries Sakaki and Kimura gets slapped with a big fat restraining order

Choosing to believe this to be the actual canon ending of Daioh now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zeether posted:

Kaorin marries Sakaki and Kimura gets slapped with a big fat pink slip and handcuffs for creeping on his students

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was Kimura the origin of MY WAIFU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I think so.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

He was yeah

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

neko koneko

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Fireball Charming (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9p9jdmJQOQ

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Have some ramen pizza courtesy of Pizza Hut in Taiwan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Julias posted:

Have some ramen pizza courtesy of Pizza Hut in Taiwan.

that looks weird and great

except the egg, I'll pass on the egg, but the rest of it hell yeah

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

that looks weird and great

except the egg, I'll pass on the egg, but the rest of it hell yeah

EAT THE EGG INVICTUS

The fishing manga can't catch a break
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1280136680721264640?s=20

RME