Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hollywood Reporter says SiriusXM is buying Stitcher.

Dammit, and the Unofficial RSS Feeds guy is shutting down the service.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope Sirius has a better app than Stitcher/Howl

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Brock Samson posted:

It's pretty drat funny, fake script reading and songs with Brett on guitar and probably Dana on drums.

Check for the signed insert, it's a white index card so you might miss it but don't toss it out!

Oh dang! I can't find it, not in my shipping box, not inside the sleeve. Dang, I probably dropped it!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope Sirius has a better app than Stitcher/Howl

I bet the app will be better but the first thing they'll do is cancel all the podcasts not hosted by celebs.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Stitcher premium has been such a poo poo service. Losing the unofficial RSS feeds convinced me not to auto renew my subscription.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Eh, I'll definitely cling on as long as they keep giving me fresh Andy Daly content. But I believe Bonanas is about to end its run (season?) so HH is going to be the only thing keeping me on board. Too bad Superego jumped ship because that was a big part of my subscription for a while. I also listen to old I4H episodes occasionally but I'd be fine dropping that.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Oh dang! I can't find it, not in my shipping box, not inside the sleeve. Dang, I probably dropped it!

Bummer. Mine was in the shipping box, which seems like a really bad decision because I clearly missed it. I even looked inside the sleeve when I first got it thinking that maybe there was something like that in it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The official Stitcher app is now good enough that I'm happy to use it as my primary podcast thing, but I'm not someone who needs much in the way of features.
Sirius app is OK, their web service as a whole is a bit unreliable but it's OK.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JethroMcB posted:

Hollywood Reporter says SiriusXM is buying Stitcher.

Dammit, and the Unofficial RSS Feeds guy is shutting down the service.

Well guess I'm not reupping mine at the end of the year.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Losing the RSS blows, but that guy has no obligation to keep making up for Stitcher's weakness.

I just cancelled my autopay but it renewed back in March so they won't really care.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

ManoliIsFat posted:

I'm pretty sure only part of the first shipment came with the signed cards, not all of them. I didn't get one either.

I know that was the case with the CBB vinyl. I was lucky enough to get the autographs with that one.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Serious XM are going to force Sean and Hayes to do drive time

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would honestly love to hear them do a checked-the-gently caress-out drive time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Probably won't amount to anything but I submitted feedback on Stitcher's site, telling them that I won't be renewing my subscription when it runs out unless they put out RSS feeds.

Sucks that we're losing the unofficial RSS feeds but I totally understand why the guy behind them wouldn't want to keep it up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It would be a bad business decision for Stitcher to create their own RSS feeds. They'll definitely sacrifice a few subscribers like you to keep a much larger number of users in their walled-off app environment. Can't push your in-house podcasts for free if people are in another app.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

It would be a bad business decision for Stitcher to create their own RSS feeds. They'll definitely sacrifice a few subscribers like you to keep a much larger number of users in their walled-off app environment. Can't push your in-house podcasts for free if people are in another app.

More than that, they lose the opportunity to collect a shitton of data on listening habits (and probably other stuff, never used the app). I'd bet they're not making much on subscribers and the number of people using the unofficial RSS feed are probably a small fraction of subscribers anyway.

From scanning the reddit thread about it, the project was open source, so maybe someone else will take it over.

Sirius buying Earwolf can really only be bad news; best case scenario is that they let them continue to operate semi-autonomously for a while before folding them into the Howard Stern show and cancelling 75% of the shows

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Srice posted:

Probably won't amount to anything but I submitted feedback on Stitcher's site, telling them that I won't be renewing my subscription when it runs out unless they put out RSS feeds.

It's good to give them that direct feedback, they'll take that seriously, but I bet part of their secret sauce is that app, they must get good analytics (what you listen to, pushing pop-ups/notifications "hey you might like The Office Ladies", know when people stop mid-play, skip ads for the non-premium pods). I'm sure they woulda done the patreon-esque tokenized RSS feeds if they didn't need to keep people in their app.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Apparently Stitcher Premium has been sending out emails to people who were paying and using the unofficial feed
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/hnpczt/stitcher_premium_just_sent_out_an_email_regarding/

quote:

SUBJECT: Update on Stitcher Premium Unofficial Feeds

Dear Stitcher Premium Subscriber,

You are receiving this email because you utilized the unofficial feeds for Stitcher Premium.

We have been notified that the dedicated fan who managed these feeds has now decided to take them down, and all Stitcher Premium will from now on be exclusively available in the Stitcher App.

We have been working hard over the past year on improving the Stitcher App, and have some exciting updates coming at the end of the summer! Check the Earwolf Reddit in the next few weeks for a preview of the upgrades, and in the meantime, we hope you will give listening in Stitcher another try.

We'd also like to thank you for being a loyal listener and to offer you a special discount on your next year of Stitcher Premium: get a year of Stitcher Premium for just $4.99.

To redeem your discount, use code [REDACTED], to use this promo code, you will need to cancel your current subscription and let it expire. Here are the steps to cancel:

Yeah I'll take a pass if there's no RSS feed 🙄

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 9, 2020

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I mean I don't want to use the app but $5 for a year of not having to listen to CBB ads is worth it.

Love, love LOVE that using the code is clunky as all poo poo, though; my Stitcher Premium subscription doesn't run out for another 5 months at this point and who knows if it will even work.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 9, 2020

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

piratepilates posted:

Apparently Stitcher Premium has been sending out emails to people who were paying and using the official feed
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/hnpczt/stitcher_premium_just_sent_out_an_email_regarding/

Yeah I'll take a pass if there's no RSS feed 🙄

Yeah I found out from that email and immediately canceled my sub and deleted my credit card info

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Just chiming in to say I too don't want another podcast app.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If anyone gets a code and they don't want it I'll take it. They didn't send me one for some reason

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
COMEBACK-A4VGP

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Lmao I tried twice now. Last night and this morning and it says "There was an error contacting our payment servers. Please try again later or contact support."

Can't win with stitcher

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
they haven't contacted me either. Fuckin guys. So...this is a SUPER dumb question, but I can still get CBB/HH in Podcast Addict, right? Just not through preem streem?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

mennoknight posted:

they haven't contacted me either. Fuckin guys. So...this is a SUPER dumb question, but I can still get CBB/HH in Podcast Addict, right? Just not through preem streem?

they both have free streams on earwolf with ads, I don't know if the back catalog is still ~~~behind the paywall~~~, but for new episodes you'll just have to subscribe to the the free stream.

if you still have a premium account and want to keep all the episodes ad-free you can download them through something like gPodder.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

piratepilates posted:

they both have free streams on earwolf with ads, I don't know if the back catalog is still ~~~behind the paywall~~~, but for new episodes you'll just have to subscribe to the the free stream.

if you still have a premium account and want to keep all the episodes ad-free you can download them through something like gPodder.

yeah, i'm downloading like crazy. I think I'll just end up with 4 different CBB feeds in here. This is so stupid.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

That reminds me to back up Mike Detective before it becomes like a man who swallowed a hammer ...

tool ate.
edit: I'm sorry this pun has been an intrusive thought for 10+ years now.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Meatlong Football posted:

That reminds me to back up Mike Detective before it becomes like a man who swallowed a hammer ...

tool ate.
edit: I'm sorry this pun has been an intrusive thought for 10+ years now.

I forgot about that podcast too. I hope I downloaded it back when they were going to go behind the paywall.

E: Just in case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVKYsMxneo

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 9, 2020

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Lmao I tried twice now. Last night and this morning and it says "There was an error contacting our payment servers. Please try again later or contact support."

Can't win with stitcher

I had this happen when I first tried signing up with the laborday code last year. My buddy who had a Stitcher premium account also couldn't get the code working, so it wasn't because the code only applied to returning customers as other people online have speculated. I bit the bullet and bought at full price anyways. Then it took their lovely customer support two weeks of unanswered e-mails before I could actually access the premium content on my paid account :lmao:

I'm going to use the re-sub money and finally check out the Earwolf adjacent Patreons like Action Boyz and Flagrant Ones.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

I had this happen when I first tried signing up with the memorial day code last year. My buddy who had a Stitcher premium account also couldn't get the code working, so it wasn't because the code only applied to returning customers as other people online have speculated. I bit the bullet and bought at full price anyways. Then it took their lovely customer support two weeks of unanswered e-mails before I could actually access the premium content on my paid account :lmao:

I'm going to use the re-sub money and finally check out the Earwolf adjacent Patreons like Action Boyz and Flagrant Ones.

Action Boyz is easily my most-listened to podcast since subscribing this year. Just do yourself a favor, trust me, and get the Shadow Wolves tier.

Ben Rodgers's Poison Ivy saga is worth the price of admission alone.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Will never forgive them for teasing mike detective season 2 then doing nothing

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Franchescanado posted:

Action Boyz is easily my most-listened to podcast since subscribing this year. Just do yourself a favor, trust me, and get the Shadow Wolves tier.

Ben Rodgers's Poison Ivy saga is worth the price of admission alone.

Yeah for $8 a month you get about 12 hours of content on average, and the chance for the hosts to read your question and call you a weirdo freak loser

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah for $8 a month you get about 12 hours of content on average, and the chance for the hosts to read your question and call you a weirdo freak loser

Jokesth on you guys. I wanted you to roast me. I’m a film buff and you guys are like my friends. What even is this??

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

Jokesth on you guys. I wanted you to roast me. I’m a film buff and you guys are like my friends. What even is this??

I'm definitely the Stanger of my group. Wish I could teach my friends some drat self control.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I should get on Action Boyz. I'm a huge Gabrus fan, but I hate the idea of a bunch of dudes dicking around about movies with no real insight. But I should suck it up and just subscribe, despite not loving the one random episode I heard early on. I start at the beginning, presumably?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I should get on Action Boyz. I'm a huge Gabrus fan, but I hate the idea of a bunch of dudes dicking around about movies with no real insight. But I should suck it up and just subscribe, despite not loving the one random episode I heard early on. I start at the beginning, presumably?

Go through the High and Mighty archive. There's several Action Boyz eps on there. But if you don't like bunch of dudes dicking around about movies with no real insight you're probably not going to like it. Though it's fun. Frankly, I'm tired of movie podcasts with 'insight'.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

I personally would. I blew through it all in a month or two. They've got some good movie insights, some pedestrian ones, and a bunch of actor's laments of "oh man I wish I could be in a good movie". But that's not what makes the show great, it's the stupid bits and digressions. Those 3 are the funniest group in the game, it's my must listen every Monday morning.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

There are a few proper Action Boyz episodes available for free as well, if you click "Show More" under their About section.

Action Boyz loving owns btw, it and Teacher's Lounge have taken over my whole brain

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I've subscribed to Stitcher Premium before (mostly for Threedom) and honestly I wouldn't mind paying for it more often if a) they had official rss feeds, and b) their site and app* weren't complete garbage. Every time I've had to search out a Stitcher Premium show, or see what they have, or just subscribe to the service, has been a pain.

* my experiences using their app is years out of date but I'm happy using Podcast Addict and/or Pocket Casts, I don't want to use a different app at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Reformed Pissboy posted:

There are a few proper Action Boyz episodes available for free as well, if you click "Show More" under their About section.

Action Boyz loving owns btw, it and Teacher's Lounge have taken over my whole brain

Those are the ones that are also on H&M. I think there others on there as well. I loved the Die Hard watch through. I'd sign up in a second if I wasn't broke.