Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
In the fandom's defence, Griffin was Not Good at running PBTA. I mean, he's a great storyteller but not a great GM, although if you're hosting a podcast it's probably better to be good at the former than the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That doesn't make sense to me because the argument is that actual plays draw people into the game, so the audience wouldn't necessarily know the rules in advance, and would therefore not come in from appreciating clever use of these rules which they don't know.

If its a long campaign people will pick up the rules and/or look up the ststem because they've been enjoying the show. At the moment most of the big APs are d&d so they're not just a system-discovery tool

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't there something about TAZ losing viewers when they tried to change systems?

They changed systems to one they weren't as funny doing and their bit suffered.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

They changed systems to one they weren't as funny doing and their bit suffered.

A big part of their TAZ shtick was just making stuff up and rolling with it, which is fine. Justin in particular would just pick whatever spells that he couldn't even cast (while everyone gave poo poo to their dad for the same thing) and Travis often lied about his dice rolls for either comedic or dramatic effect. That's harder to do with a PbtA game, much as I still enjoyed Amnesty.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Alaois posted:

I'm aware of the situation but that motherfucker up there said "green blackface" and i really gotta know what's up with their head

There was a photo of the CR guy in blackface that was later revealed to be green.

I'm sorry there's not more to this puzzle.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Man I'm annoyed now because given the entire history in this hobby of orcs/goblinoids/green people it really should be a Thing if someone greenfaces but in the sense that they're basically echoing a buncha blackface negative poo poo and that's why it's wrong, not because some drat edited image bullshit

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm on my knees, sobbing, begging you to stop saying 'greenface'

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Somewhere, a Shadowrun writer is furiously taking notes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I'm on my knees, sobbing, begging you to stop saying 'greenface'

if i say greenface greenface greenface does Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka come and beat my poo poo in

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

if i say greenface greenface greenface does Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka come and beat my poo poo in

No it's not even a cool Orc it's just fuckin Grom the Paunch that tries to eat your head, just embarrassing for everyone.

For real though this sums it up best

https://twitter.com/TrebuchetOps/status/1280351577224761348

CR for sure traffics in exploiting those parasocial relationships, for better or worse (yes there are positive ways to do it), and that is a pretty big issue, but at the end of the day CR is a corporation with a good PR team, but they like to have 'uh it's just a bunch of friends playing a game like the rest of us' as an easy excuse for when things are handled poorly. I don't think they're bad people or doing anything nefarious but it's a kinda...I don't know a more accurate word than 'insidious'...thing where they're simultaneously just friends paling around on the net and, ya know, pretty well off people with actual business relationships they're cultivating just as much.

It's baby's first 'corporations aren't your friend' but because of the still niche nature of D&D and the inherently fairly social nature of it it's a blind spot for a ton of people.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://twitter.com/negaversace/status/617054288569860096

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

gradenko_2000 posted:

Doing the right thing can be hard, yes

And sometimes it isn't reasonable to expect people to put part of their livelihood on the line. Easy enough to say when it isn't your organization and employees, of course.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
All this discussion is convincing me of is that if Mercer did go "Mike Mearls sucks and you, my fans, should tell Wizards of the Coast you don't like him." (or whatever's a more polite legalese way of presenting that) will just make the apparently noxious fandom he's riding on go loving apeshit and make everything 100x worse.

Like sure, he should pass along his disgust (if he has any) to WotC but people keep talking about leveraging his fanbase and I just don't see how that couldn't self-destruct stupendously.

moths posted:

There was a photo of the CR guy in blackface that was later revealed to be green.

That was an embarrassing post and I hope you feel bad for how dumb you look

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

moths posted:

No, it was "he painted his face green for an ad because he plays a goblin and someone posted an image with lovely color correction and flipped out about nothing." Go take a nap.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BinaryDoubts posted:

In the fandom's defence, Griffin was Not Good at running PBTA. I mean, he's a great storyteller but not a great GM, although if you're hosting a podcast it's probably better to be good at the former than the latter.

Fortunately, there are many non-pbta indie systems.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

moths posted:

Brain like a dry sponge

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

No, it was "he painted his face green for an ad because he plays a goblin and someone posted an image with lovely color correction and flipped out about nothing." Go take a nap.

I mean, like, I'm the one who posted it, so give the guy a break, and also in the 50,000ish shares of that gif there's not a single Critter in the notes going, 'Uh, maybe you should take this down or upload a proper one,' or, even, 'Don't do this'. Like, someone showed it to me with the genuine belief I would be happy and interested to see it.

Given that, I admit I wasn't super interested in combing through thousands of hours of footage to see what was up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GreenMetalSun posted:

I mean, like, I'm the one who posted it, so give the guy a break, and also in the 50,000ish shares of that gif there's not a single Critter in the notes going, 'Uh, maybe you should take this down or upload a proper one,' or, even, 'Don't do this'. Like, someone showed it to me with the genuine belief I would be happy and interested to see it.

Given that, I admit I wasn't super interested in combing through thousands of hours of footage to see what was up.

Maybe they didn't say anything like that because they already knew that it was just green makeup in lovely color correction and didn't think they had to make a social statement about it?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Maybe they didn't say anything like that because they already knew that it was just green makeup in lovely color correction and didn't think they had to make a social statement about it?

I mean, okay, yeah. People can do what they want, but if someone color-edited a character on a show I liked and it looked like said character was doing blackface, I would simply not put it on my blog (and yes, I would suggest they take it down).

Nor would I show it off to others as an example of why I think the show was good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I mean why would they, it's probably a pretty safe assumption that they know close to the complete context, and have a general faith in the cast literally not doing blackface on loving twitch streaming to a 100k people and however many more catch the YouTube stream.

Trust me if CR did black face on one of their streams dear god would people know about it and react.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
As to why people would use that to try and get people into it I have no loving clue, it's really not that funny unless you know the personality of Sam and Laura's character in that game.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dexo posted:

I mean why would they, it's probably a pretty safe assumption that they know close to the complete context, and have a general faith in the cast literally not doing blackface on loving twitch streaming to a 100k people and however many more catch the YouTube stream.

Trust me if CR did black face on one of their streams dear god would people know about it and react.

Yeah, I mean, I admit I was wrong, and I'm happy to be wrong. I still think many of the fans are idiots but any ill-will towards the show itself is gone.

EDIT: Like I said, there are tons of 'Watch CR!' posts floating around and every single one is just gifs of the actors laughing at something.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 8, 2020

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darwinism posted:

Man I'm annoyed now because given the entire history in this hobby of orcs/goblinoids/green people it really should be a Thing if someone greenfaces but in the sense that they're basically echoing a buncha blackface negative poo poo and that's why it's wrong, not because some drat edited image bullshit

No, it probably shouldn't be a big deal if someone pretends to be an orc or goblin.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Brain like a dry sponge

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dexo posted:

As to why people would use that to try and get people into it I have no loving clue, it's really not that funny unless you know the personality of Sam and Laura's character in that game.

Also, Dexo, I have had many, many lovely people be like, 'This isn't actually racist thing because of technicality X/Y/Z/etc.!' to me, which was how I read and reacted to your response. I should not have done that and I'm sorry.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Don't worry about it, trust me I get it my entire life experience is explaining why yes that thing you said/did is p racist. Or having to hold my tounge wrt racist poo poo people do and say.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dexo posted:

That's just a natural outgrowth of fandom, I think, losing all sense of perspective as to what an in-joke looks like to anyone not in the know. It's mostly harmless but you get stuff like this which is just... weird. Like I don't follow Critical Role at all and I have no idea what any of that means, but I know tumblr memes and I know if Critical Role did blackface they wouldn't exist today except for a few toppled statues in the desert wastes.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Sam Riegel does a little goofy-rear end sponsor "ad" at the beginning of more or less every episode. Usually it's for DnDBeyond, but it's also been for stuff like Wyrmwood or some data backup service. He'll also do a little thing when Matt busts out one of his maps and it's fun to see him scramble to get it done.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Nuns with Guns posted:

All this discussion is convincing me of is that if Mercer did go "Mike Mearls sucks and you, my fans, should tell Wizards of the Coast you don't like him." (or whatever's a more polite legalese way of presenting that) will just make the apparently noxious fandom he's riding on go loving apeshit and make everything 100x worse.

Like sure, he should pass along his disgust (if he has any) to WotC but people keep talking about leveraging his fanbase and I just don't see how that couldn't self-destruct stupendously.

Yeah, but I feel like that self-destruction is a necessary step to removing the toxic members of their fan base. Take a firm stance and when people start being gribbling fools about it, let them see the door.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Like, everytime someone says “maybe CR could do better and not support a homophobic, racist corporation?” the response is inevitably “won’t someone think of the multi-million Actual Play corporation?”

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Meinberg posted:

Yeah, but I feel like that self-destruction is a necessary step to removing the toxic members of their fan base. Take a firm stance and when people start being gribbling fools about it, let them see the door.

In this hypothetical how will this remove the toxic members of their fan base? Like what do you see them doing? Blocking terrible people on twitter? Banning them on their twitch streams? Issuing even more statements saying racism, homophobia, and transhobia are bad and harassment is bad? Do you see these having large-scale impacts on the toxicity of a fandom?

Meinberg posted:

Like, everytime someone says “maybe CR could do better and not support a homophobic, racist corporation?” the response is inevitably “won’t someone think of the multi-million Actual Play corporation?”

Critical Role could cut ties with D&D and do their own fantasy game or latch onto one of the two other fantasy RPGs that aren't made by someone who sucks. Or do something besides the millionth generic D&D game because lord knows those are a blight on our times. It'd be disruptive and there'd be a massive fanbase meltdown and lots of harassment towards everyone involved in Critical Role, I'm sure, but I'd support it. I don't think they could effectively leverage their fanbase itself to lobby another corporation to do poo poo without it turning into a clusterfuck.

I don't think it's worth getting into an intractable debate on the ethical obligation for one small successful corporation to kamikaze into a slightly larger corporation if the underlying system itself (captialism) is still rotten to the core and already set up in a way so that the entire effort was futile and the big corporation barely notices the impact.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 8, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

And sometimes it isn't reasonable to expect people to put part of their livelihood on the line. Easy enough to say when it isn't your organization and employees, of course.

oh noooooo Matt Mercer might have to go back to being an employee like everyone else!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CR and other 'mainstream' podcasts are not going to switch away from DnD. This is because it gets them advertising from name brand recognition; and also they see idiosyncratic rules that they can ignore at will or enforce capriciously as a boon to drama and a jumping off point for comedy and their stories instead of an annoyance that damages the integrity of the game system.

Thinking otherwise, and this whole conversation, is very silly.

Also, a fanbase being mean to you on twitter being you criticised the thing they like - even if they really were very mean - is not something worth caring about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Yeah, if it wasn't clear by now (pretty sure it is) your takeaway from that should probably be "this guy thinks blackface edits are amusing and something to share with people" and act accordingly.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

bewilderment posted:

CR and other 'mainstream' podcasts are not going to switch away from DnD. This is because it gets them advertising from name brand recognition; and also they see idiosyncratic rules that they can ignore at will or enforce capriciously as a boon to drama and a jumping off point for comedy and their stories instead of an annoyance that damages the integrity of the game system.

Thinking otherwise, and this whole conversation, is very silly.

Also, a fanbase being mean to you on twitter being you criticised the thing they like - even if they really were very mean - is not something worth caring about.

I’m so sorry that me thinking that maybe things can someday be better is so onerous of a notion to you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bewilderment posted:

dude, this is dumb as poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Meinberg posted:

I would like to lead by formally and explicitly acknowledging that you are my moral superior.

Now that that is out of the way, if I understand your proposal here it is two-pronged.

First, that Critical Role, the media company, should sever their ties with the current publishers of DND5E for their various lovely behaviors. They ought to do this and take the resulting medicine, come what may.

Second, they should continue with their general program, but they should use a different system that is, ideally, one produced by a non-WOTC press. (The most likely candidate would be Pathfinder 2E from what I know.)

Now I acknowledge your moral superiority but this seems to lack a certain practicality, and it is not clear how you get from A to B. It would seem the obvious route would be to spread awareness among Critters or whatever about the manifold crimes of WOTC and Mike Mearls, probably with a general tack of "ugh, I can't believe 5e's publishers did all this gross stuff! I wish our parasocial producers would use something else, such as" (whatever; Pathfinder 2E is probably the easiest lift here, I suspect Fellowship would be a very large lift)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It seems a fair number of Wizards affiliated people are calling out WotC on the most recent things. I don't know if Crit Role is among them.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jumping ship from WotC to Paizo because of Mike Mearls would be funny but extremely stupid given... Paizo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Nessus posted:

I would like to lead by formally and explicitly acknowledging that you are my moral superior.

Now that that is out of the way, if I understand your proposal here it is two-pronged.

First, that Critical Role, the media company, should sever their ties with the current publishers of DND5E for their various lovely behaviors. They ought to do this and take the resulting medicine, come what may.

Second, they should continue with their general program, but they should use a different system that is, ideally, one produced by a non-WOTC press. (The most likely candidate would be Pathfinder 2E from what I know.)

Now I acknowledge your moral superiority but this seems to lack a certain practicality, and it is not clear how you get from A to B. It would seem the obvious route would be to spread awareness among Critters or whatever about the manifold crimes of WOTC and Mike Mearls, probably with a general tack of "ugh, I can't believe 5e's publishers did all this gross stuff! I wish our parasocial producers would use something else, such as" (whatever; Pathfinder 2E is probably the easiest lift here, I suspect Fellowship would be a very large lift)

It’s extremely cool to be sarcastic towards a trans person being actively harassed because they dared suggest maybe something could be better. It’s a great look and I suggest you keep doing it.