Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im kinda unfamiliar with the India region, whats a good tag to start as if I want to form Marathas and take over the subcontinent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Marathas is kinda a rough nation to form; it requires admin 20 which is like 1660, you need primary marathas culture, and the only nation that actually starts with that in the 1444 start date is Khandesh, a sunni vassal of Gujarat.

In practical terms the best nation is probably Vijayanagar and just culture switching, but that's kinda a different game entirely tbh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm finding Burgundy really easy to inherit now if they don't rival you, but how the gently caress are people inheriting full Burgundy? Every game I play, they declare a suicidal war on either a french ally or an HRE minor and lose land and 1-2 of their PUs getting stomped?

Quoting bc yep, this most recent time, I got them again but it was literally just the actual Duchy of Burgundy because they declared war on Provence with no allies, while Provence was allied to France who got Maine for free. They lost all their PUs and basically everything in the extremely obvious stomping they received?

I've gotten them almost every time I could RM them this patch. Are they hardcoded to go full Charles now?

Before it was hard to guarantee you'd get it, but if you got it, you'd get more or less the actual historical inheritance. Now, it's hella easy to get, but Burgundy will just always suicide and then Charles will sort of keel over after and you get his remaining land. Stuff like France just getting back their crown land never ever happens. You just always get exactly what suicidal Burgundy has.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

IIRC Ayyuthaya, Taungu, and Dai Viet have them.

Hopefully they add more though bc the Ayyuthaya one is just "conquer what you'd conquer anyway" and the other two are time trials.
Exactly. Disciples of Enlightenment looks like it will be decently easy, especially if you go Exploration and use colonies to get claims on the Phillipines mini-thunderdome, Ternate, Tidore, and Makassar and its neighbors, and as Lance of Llanwyln there is Land of Eastern Jade which plays right in to going Exploration early so I'll do those as Dia Vet once this advertised update drops. Lance of Llanwyln also mentioned "Form Malaya" which was one of the first achievements I did but is another area that I would really enjoy some new achievements in. They're close to each other but playing in Indonesia is quite different than Indochina.

AnEdgelord posted:

Im kinda unfamiliar with the India region, whats a good tag to start as if I want to form Marathas and take over the subcontinent?
As TheFlyingLlama mentioned, Marathas is a mid/late game tag and half the fun of India is the thunderdome you need to get through to get to the midgame. Almost any country is a good pick though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also Sirhind is really fun in India to form Sikh Punjab. Sikh countries and the Punjab tag will almost never ever form unless you play them. There's a hella easy achievement to just do that, and I got really close to doing Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire as them. Punjab is a meh tag, but sikh religion + indian estates + an idea or two make for some hella semi-prussian troops, and you get to form Bharat eventually.

I beelined the coasted and took exploration as them, and ironically got killed by my indian siblings and a massive chagatai during the war for London after getting all the rest pretty easily.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 7, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also Sirhind is really fun in India to form Sikh Punjab. Sikh countries and the Punjab tag will almost never ever form unless you play them. There's a hella easy achievement to just do that, and I got really close to doing Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire as them. Punjab is a meh tag, but sikh religion + indian estates + an idea or two make for some hella semi-prussian troops, and you get to form Bharat eventually.

I beelined the coasted and took exploration as them, and ironically got killed by my indian siblings and a massive chagatai during the war for London after getting all the rest pretty easily.
I'm looking forward to doing Sikh Pun by way of playing as Mewar and also doing "Mewar Never Changes" and "Maharana Pratap" at the same time.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is Burgundy fun to play? I don't think I ever tried it even after 4+years of playing EU4 on and off. What can you do with it other than making Purple France?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Is Burgundy fun to play? I don't think I ever tried it even after 4+years of playing EU4 on and off. What can you do with it other than making Purple France?

There's a whole new fancy mission tree now to form Lothringia

Edit: The defeating France portion of the mission tree was obviously never playtested because its a cool idea but there is no way to make it work without some really powergamy shenanigans or getting coalitioned by all of europe

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 8, 2020

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Sephyr posted:

With the update there is a pretty easy path to HRE membership in the mission tree so if you want to play the HRE game as a major on the western edge of the empire rather than the eastern edge, there's that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Love to lose my entire fleet to attrition and be unable to transport my troops in time to put down a rebellion before it gives me a bunch of extra separatism because the AI decided it was a great idea to sail east from California to Madagascar instead of going west through my Phillipines/Indonesia Empire

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Finished my Knights game

I was going to restore the Pope after a migrating Providence subjugated him and a protestant Tuscany took Rome but realized I chose a humiliate CB in my rush.

Hungary ended up with the PU over Austria and ate him, same with France with the PU over Castile. The Hapsburgs were killed off.

Theocracies have some fun gov't reforms but still a little boring. Playing the navy game was a fun change of pace but tedious.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I have the DLC up to whatever came prior to Mandate of Heaven. Are there any essentials since? Steam reviews range from mixed to negative on all of them. I'd like to get back into the game and might grab some essentials while they're on sale.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Mandate hosed all of Asia on release but they eventually fixed it. Everything else since has been slow improvements.

If you like the EU4 playstyle get the expansions for cheap and enjoy, if you don't not much has changed.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

snoremac posted:

I have the DLC up to whatever came prior to Mandate of Heaven. Are there any essentials since? Steam reviews range from mixed to negative on all of them. I'd like to get back into the game and might grab some essentials while they're on sale.

The full expansions since then all add features which are generally considered quality additions to the core gameplay, while the ones labelled Immersion Pack are mostly designed around giving a bunch of flavor (mission trees, new buttons, etc) to particular regions/nations. Just to go down the list:

Mandate of Heaven: Added a bunch of poo poo to China that was broken on release but generally now works pretty well on down the line(China also got a sort of "free immersion pack" in the form of a bunch of mission trees and poo poo for the Manchu tribes and Korea and whatnot from a patch during the long dry spell before Emperor). The big global feature from this expansion is the Age system and Golden Eras. Basically, the game is divided into four ages that each have unique objectives and bonuses you can select after having fulfilled some of these objectives for long enough. Golden Eras are a 50-year bonus you can activate once per campaign that gives a bunch of good poo poo. It's another example of power creep to be sure, but it feels pretty thematic and has generally been regarded as a worthwhile addition in the years since.

Cradle of Civilization: In my opinion the weakest of the major expansions I'm describing here. Mostly focused on flavor for Islamic nations, I think the big thing that hits this one is that it came before Dharma which completely obliterated the existing mission system and replaced it with basically a HOI4 focus tree-lite. Ever since then, a major expansion feature has been unique mission trees for the major nations and looking back, it makes the amount of content in this as a full price $20 expansion feel relatively lackluster. Major gameplay features from this one are Army Professionalism, which was mostly derided at release as yet another form of mana, but as it's matured (and especially with the total merc rework in the recent patch) it's really become to feel like a core mechanic with the right amount of cost/benefit to how you choose to utilize it as a resource. Also in this expansion was Merchant policies, basically if you have an active Merchant in a node you can enact certain modifiers that impact things in that trade node. The big selling point there is that Muslim nations can essentially use it to turn a province in the node into a CoR for their flavor of Islam as long as they have 51% trading power there, which is pretty OP as you can imagine.

Dharma: Personally I view this one as the biggest post-RoM/AoW update, simply for the introduction of the Government Reform system. Basically, it adds another ticking currency (big surprise there) which you use to customize your government with specific mutually exclusive choices over time. Each base government form (monarchy, theocracy, republic) gets its own unique series of options that can have wide-ranging impacts on your playstyle. Over the years this mechanic has been expanded a lot in the form of a lot of unique options for different culture groups and whatnot, though a fair few of them are locked behind other DLCs as well, but in particular the most recent update Emperor really took it from "neat feature" to "core gameplay element" by massively expanding the Theocratic and Republican reform trees (I think? definitely Theocracy) and allowing you to use unspent points to expand your governing capacity (the new state cap, in essence). This was also the update which added non-fixed CoT levels and the ability to upgrade and downgrade them.
Edit: Almost forgot, Dharma also added (or improved? honestly I can't remember) the Policy system which is basically a set of decisions you can enact once you have at least two idea groups from different MP categories finished. The first one in each category (ADM, DIP, MIL) is free but any subsequent ones cost 1 of the corresponding MP and you can have up to three in each category (national ideas can sometime grant additional slots or additional free policies in a category) These are often very strong bonuses and offer an additional incentive towards building your nation a certain way.

Emperor: The big mamma jamma, nearly two full years in development, the best way to describe this expansion is: What if we took all the incremental improvements in flavor and gameplay we've been making all over the rest of the world over the last half decade and spent two years bringing Europe, the HRE and the Catholic faith up to that level of detail and polish? The scope is pretty remarkable, basically every janky rear end thing that seemed kind of bothersome about the HRE and how boring the Catholic faith had become in comparison to many other religions has been addressed. The HRE in general is way more interactive than ever before, with most of the stuff that was event-based before (Burgundian Inheritance, Shadow Kingdom, etc) being incorporate into a new Imperial incident system where the princes get to vote on issues and depending on the numbers the Emperor either loses IA or gains it depending on which option they choose (obviously the Emperor's word is law, we're only making a show of listening to the plebs). The whole reform system has been expanded too with two different branches you can go down, one being the old school vassal swarm revoke one, and the other being a more decentralized model that eventually gives you some pretty neat CBs as emperor. The way the Catholic faith works is also substantially improved, with Cardinals being visible on the map in the religion mode and the entire Papal Control mechanic being rendered a lot less of a tedious clickfest by some interesting changes. The Papal Controller also now gets access to a special Golden Bull mechanic that allows them to essentially choose a bonus for the Catholic faith for the duration of that Popes' reign. On the whole, I think the whole Golden Bull mechanic is a little underutilized right now as most of the (5 or 6?) options are very situational and some are locked behind certain preconditions that may never even occur. To summarize, this is an update that came out barely a month ago and it shows. Paradox has hotfixed most of the egregious bugs already but there's still work to be done. On the other hand, in terms of sheer stuff to do for your money (not even including the mission trees, of which there are an absolute gently caress ton), though, it's definitely worth it if you have any desire to play in or around Europe whatsoever.

Beet fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 8, 2020

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Thanks, I appreciate the write-up. I think I'm gonna give into temptation and buy all of them, including the new one that's not on sale :negative:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hopefully they add more though bc the Ayyuthaya one is just "conquer what you'd conquer anyway" and the other two are time trials.

Yeah, I've played Ayyuthaya. It doesn't even have a mission connected to that achievement, even though you complete it anyway if you do that final generic mission "conquer our region".

I think better generic missions (like in Imperator) would be cooler than all of those unique mission trees but Ayyuthaya feels pretty barren, like I'm playing release version of EU4. Religion mechanics don't affect much and you don't get involved in Chinese problems. Of course EU4 is still interesting to play even with random nations, but you get what I mean. Devs obviously saw the special vassal playstyle for Thai from the very beginning. But power creep means that those vassal bonuses are pretty meh nowadays.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

snoremac posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the write-up. I think I'm gonna give into temptation and buy all of them, including the new one that's not on sale :negative:

Just a heads up, one of the Immersion Packs, Rule Britannia, also adds a couple of things that personally I think are good, but are not as universally agreed upon. First thing is the Innovativeness mechanic (yeah it's a loving stupid name) that really helps enable tall play if you want to engage it that way. Basically you get a scaling bonus of -10% to all power costs as it goes from 0-100 and you gain Innovativeness for things like researching techs and ideas first and through random events of course. The other thing exclusive to Rule Britannia is the Coal trade good and the Furnace manufactory that goes along with it. Obviously this is an insanely late-game thing, some provinces have coal as a "latent trade good" and when you embrace the Enlightenment it converts over to coal, which gives some pretty stupid bonuses for being the leading trader of it. Furnaces, too, give a +5% global goods produced to your nation per instance, so if you've got a few coal provinces suddenly you're looking at a massive economic expansion. Honestly I wouldn't even have mentioned this one because it is just literal, blatant power creep, but the new update also introduced an eighth Institution, Industrialization, which pops at 1750 and after I just loaded a new game without RB enabled to see, as an institution it doesn't make a lot of sense and the requirements are pretty stupid, as opposed to with RB where it's entirely centered around access to coal and furnaces. So if you enjoy late game EU4 I'd say Rule Britannia is definitely also worthwhile.

Beet fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 8, 2020

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Shawon Dunston posted:

Just a heads up, one of the Immersion Packs, Rule Britannia, also adds a couple of things that personally I think are good, but are not as universally agreed upon. First thing is the Innovativeness mechanic (yeah it's a loving stupid name) that really helps enable tall play if you want to engage it that way. Basically you get a scaling bonus of -10% to all power costs as it goes from 0-100 and you gain Innovativeness for things like researching techs and ideas first and through random events of course. The other thing exclusive to Rule Britannia is the Coal trade good and the Furnace manufactory that goes along with it. Obviously this is an insanely late-game thing, some provinces have coal as a "latent trade good" and when you embrace the Enlightenment it converts over to coal, which gives some pretty stupid bonuses for being the leading trader of it. Furnaces, too, give a +5% global goods produced to your nation per instance, so if you've got a few coal provinces suddenly you're looking at a massive economic expansion. Honestly I wouldn't even have mentioned this one because it is just literal, blatant power creep, but the new update also introduced an eighth Institution, Industrialization, which pops at 1750 and after I just loaded a new game without RB enabled to see, as an institution it doesn't make a lot of sense and the requirements are pretty stupid, as opposed to with RB where it's entirely centered around access to coal and furnaces. So if you enjoy late game EU4 I'd say Rule Britannia is definitely also worthwhile.
I don't think I've ever actually finished a game despite just shy of 200 hours playtime. I got RB and the other two DLC of that type (Golden Century and Third Rome), which on top of the four major expansions will make what you're talking about a drop in the pond for me. But I'll definitely keep RB on in case I make it that far.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

snoremac posted:

If youre the type to play extensively for a month or two before dropping it for several months to a year (or more) after, I recommend getting the all DLCs subscription for 5$ instead.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Popoto posted:

If youre the type to play extensively for a month or two before dropping it for several months to a year (or more) after, I recommend getting the all DLCs subscription for 5$ instead.
drat, I didn't know that existed because it would've been the way to go. I already bought them all.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

snoremac posted:

drat, I didn't know that existed because it would've been the way to go. I already bought them all.

Steam's really decent at refunding games, even after they've gone past the 2 hour mark, as long as you ask them to return your cash in Steam bucks.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Steam's really decent at refunding games, even after they've gone past the 2 hour mark, as long as you ask them to return your cash in Steam bucks.
Forgot about that. Cheers.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I thought you couldn't refund DLC. Has that changed recently?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

While I'm complaining, why can't my war allies share maps of their territory with me while we're at war :psyduck:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
And why can't subject nations share maps? I have experienced not being able to move my armies to assist my vassal because of terra incognita right in the middle of their territory (but if it had been hostile I could have moved into it...)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groke posted:

And why can't subject nations share maps? I have experienced not being able to move my armies to assist my vassal because of terra incognita right in the middle of their territory (but if it had been hostile I could have moved into it...)
Because then you could vassalize a new worlder and squeeze all of America out of them

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
On how Earth as France can I complete the LEtat cest moi mission where you need to have your average autonomy under 15% with all the trade companies in my territories I have around Africa? That keeps those territories at 80% autonomy and that fucks my average.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On how Earth as France can I complete the LEtat cest moi mission where you need to have your average autonomy under 15% with all the trade companies in my territories I have around Africa? That keeps those territories at 80% autonomy and that fucks my average.

Conquer more of Europe

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Because then you could vassalize a new worlder and squeeze all of America out of them

True, it would be easy to abuse.

But at least let us move armies without a conquistador into TI owned by subjects? Like you can already do with TI held by war enemies?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Also, how come the ledger still doesn't have a "subjects" filter option?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

Conquer more of Europe

loving Coalitions man.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

loving Coalitions man.

Target-rich environment.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

loving Coalitions man.

[Laughs in Napoleon]

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Seems they patched out the old trick where you could declare on a third party allied to a coalition member and pull them all into a regular war where they could be peaced out separately.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know its been a criticism since day 1 but it can be truly frustrating when youre aiming to just annex one province and the entire coalition will happily drain its entire manpower reserves fighting you to the death and forcing you to occupy their entire country before theyll give up. Napoleon could win a couple of decisive battles to win his wars.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

EU4 is a bad, terrible game.

I'm playing it right now.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Communist Walrus posted:

EU4 is a bad, terrible game.

I'm playing it right now.

:hmmyes:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I keep trying to do the Byzantium early surprise Otto conquest, and it's not working.

It says to send embarked troops from Greece to Constantinople before the war to arrive exactly on the first of the month, so that they keep Kocaeli mothballed. I've tried it several times, and it doesn't seem to work; they crew the fort as soon as the ship enters the strait. It doesn't help that the tooltip lies and keeps telling me it'll be a 4-day trip when it actually takes something like 12-13 days, so I have to guess.

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Recruit a unit in Constantinople so that it finishes building on the first day of the month then declare war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a unmothballed fort is vulnerable until the next month tick. so a fort that's unmothballed sept 1st will take just one siege tick to capture for any siege that starts sept 1st - sept 30 even if the siege progress says -35% or something