Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

Use iCloud backup

That's what I did afterwards, but was annoyed that the wired one didn't work. Was shocked the old one wasn't already on iCloud backup honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
How are you even supposed to hold and type on an iPad Pro even when I take off the keyboard cover it’s awkward to hold... do you just not do that with iPads anymore. And the screen is too big (11”) to type with my thumbs when it’s vertical

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

AverySpecialfriend posted:

How are you even supposed to hold and type on an iPad Pro even when I take off the keyboard cover it’s awkward to hold... do you just not do that with iPads anymore. And the screen is too big (11”) to type with my thumbs when it’s vertical

Split it in two if you’re having difficulty. Pull your thumbs over it in opposite directions as if you’re tearing it apart.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You can also turn it into a phone sized keyboard by holding the hide keyboard button and choosing “floating”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Without the keyboard (and even with the keyboard folded back) I hold the ipad with my left hand providing support to the lower right side of the ipad and lean it against my wrist and arm and type with my right hand.

It sounds convoluted but feels really natural, honestly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thumb slide typing with the floating keyboard up near the middle-top of the right side has been my method and it works really great for me anyway. Kinda miss the split keyboard option though.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Why did they remove split keyboard lol...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I installed the iOS 14 public beta cause I wanted to try out the widgets and app library and apparently both of those things aren’t enabled for iPad yet. Widgets can only be placed in the existing widget tray and the app library is just missing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

I installed the iOS 14 public beta cause I wanted to try out the widgets and app library and apparently both of those things aren’t enabled for iPad yet. Widgets can only be placed in the existing widget tray and the app library is just missing.

That is correct.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah the iPadOS update is really sort of disappointing especially if you have an older device with no pencil support. The new widgets are there, but they're kind of just stuck in the widget view just like iOS 13?

I can sing along to a karaoke style lyrics view in music now though

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
N-thing the floating keyboard, it's easier to hold the iPad and faster to type than doing a split keyboard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I despise typing on the on-screen keyboard, tbh. I used to be able to type super fast on the iPad OSK. Then at some point, I feel like it might've been around the time they introduced sliding on keys, but I don't remember, they made a drastic change to how the keyboard works. Not only did accuracy go down for me but I type quick enough that it starts to register two distinct taps as a two-finger tap or slide, and it'll sometimes be enough to highlight and delete a paragraph i'm working on without a ways to undo it. It is my singular biggest frustration with the iPad by a very large margin.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

I despise typing on the on-screen keyboard, tbh. I used to be able to type super fast on the iPad OSK. Then at some point, I feel like it might've been around the time they introduced sliding on keys, but I don't remember, they made a drastic change to how the keyboard works. Not only did accuracy go down for me but I type quick enough that it starts to register two distinct taps as a two-finger tap or slide, and it'll sometimes be enough to highlight and delete a paragraph i'm working on without a ways to undo it. It is my singular biggest frustration with the iPad by a very large margin.
I think it was some particular version (or versions) where the timing and location tolerance to invoke the two finger trackpad mode was loose enough that it made typing really rough if you type fast enough. Not perfect so I can still see it causing issues, but it’s generally been "fixed" enough for it to be ok for me since whenever they tweaked it.

But even if poo poo happens I think I’ve always been able to undo though :shrug:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m just hoping the new pencil tools will be adopted by other apps - especially OneNote or the notes app. I just want to be able to write on a page and have it automatically turn to text!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m just hoping the new pencil tools will be adopted by other apps - especially OneNote or the notes app. I just want to be able to write on a page and have it automatically turn to text!

I didn't think the apps needed to do anything for that?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

So how is iPad Pro/iPad OS at multitasking these days? My work flow isn't hardware intensive in the sense of Photoshopping or video editing or compiling or anything like that -- its mostly interacting with browser tabs while interacting with email, Slack, or Skype. Maybe taking a screenshot and marking it up.

Where I'm worried it might not be able to live up to my 8-year old laptop: many of those browser tabs are running various kinds of web apps, and I can't have the OS deciding willy-nilly that just because I'm not looking actively at a tab, I'm not interested in its output or state. Like imagine you were using some sort of web IRC client and a refresh would kick you back out to the login page and nuke the state of all of your chats.

I've been an iPhone user for over a decade and I've learned that iPhone Safari can't be trusted to maintain a tab when the app is backgrounded or sometimes even when I'm just in another tab. Is iPad any better at that kind of proper multitasking or is it just a giant iPhone at the end of the day?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IIRC Safari inactivating/refreshing background pages was a function of memory limitations. iPad Pro has more, but I still wouldn’t trust it with important stateful work. That said, I don’t notice much refreshing these days, and that’s with 5-8 tabs open on various sites. Sorry I can’t give anything less anecdotal.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

So how is iPad Pro/iPad OS at multitasking these days? My work flow isn't hardware intensive in the sense of Photoshopping or video editing or compiling or anything like that -- its mostly interacting with browser tabs while interacting with email, Slack, or Skype. Maybe taking a screenshot and marking it up.

Where I'm worried it might not be able to live up to my 8-year old laptop: many of those browser tabs are running various kinds of web apps, and I can't have the OS deciding willy-nilly that just because I'm not looking actively at a tab, I'm not interested in its output or state. Like imagine you were using some sort of web IRC client and a refresh would kick you back out to the login page and nuke the state of all of your chats.

I've been an iPhone user for over a decade and I've learned that iPhone Safari can't be trusted to maintain a tab when the app is backgrounded or sometimes even when I'm just in another tab. Is iPad any better at that kind of proper multitasking or is it just a giant iPhone at the end of the day?

It's pretty good but it mostly seems like there are alternatives for the important stuff - complaining about your irc webpage being reloaded is super niche. I will say for stuff you absolutely don't want to lose you can side by side two safari windows and always have it on-screen.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

The Dave posted:

I didn't think the apps needed to do anything for that?

From the previews it only works in certain text boxes like address bars. When they show it in Apple notes you have to highlight it and convert it to text.

The latter has worked in other apps for years but is annoying because you have to go back and correct everything auto text lets you see mistakes as you go.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey folks, I apologize in advance for this iPad tech support question.

I have a work-issued 32 GB iPad from 2012 that is running iOS 10.3.3 (it won't update beyond that), and this morning my work e-mail stopped working in the Mail app. It's an Exchange account, and I deleted it so I could reinstall the account, but no matter what I try, it won't work.

The messages I'm getting are either:

"Exchange Account - Unable to verify account information."
or
"Cannot Get Mail - The connection to the server failed."

It never brings me to my organization's sign-in page -- I can't get past trying to add the account in the Mail app. Our IT guys are pretty much out of ideas. I've tried two different Server names they suggested to me, and tried my Username as both my full e-mail address and just the prefix. No combinations have worked so far.

I also tried downloading the Microsoft Outlook app from the App Store, but I can't get it because it requires iOS 12 or later.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey folks, I apologize in advance for this iPad tech support question.

I have a work-issued 32 GB iPad from 2012 that is running iOS 10.3.3 (it won't update beyond that), and this morning my work e-mail stopped working in the Mail app. It's an Exchange account, and I deleted it so I could reinstall the account, but no matter what I try, it won't work.

The messages I'm getting are either:

"Exchange Account - Unable to verify account information."
or
"Cannot Get Mail - The connection to the server failed."

It never brings me to my organization's sign-in page -- I can't get past trying to add the account in the Mail app. Our IT guys are pretty much out of ideas. I've tried two different Server names they suggested to me, and tried my Username as both my full e-mail address and just the prefix. No combinations have worked so far.

I also tried downloading the Microsoft Outlook app from the App Store, but I can't get it because it requires iOS 12 or later.

I'm going to guess your Office365 tenant has disabled legacy authentication and the OS you're running doesn't support modern authentication. Time for a new iPad. MS is doing this all across the board later this year, but most places are doing this now to one degree or another to get ahead of it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm going to guess your Office365 tenant has disabled legacy authentication and the OS you're running doesn't support modern authentication. Time for a new iPad. MS is doing this all across the board later this year, but most places are doing this now to one degree or another to get ahead of it.

I was afraid of something like that. I've enjoyed having it at home all these years, for the rare times I got to travel for work, and especially working remotely the last few months. I could stay on top of my work e-mail while cooking, and hear the "ping" of new messages anywhere in the house.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My Pencil came in today.

Two more weeks for the ipad itself. I am dying of wait :(

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Excellent, excellent engraving choice.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Do any games besides Threes do split screen? I can’t believe other apps/games don’t take advantage of this. Particularly games built for phone and iPad. Watching Twitch/YouTube and casually playing a game would be amazing.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 15, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Do any games besides Threes do split screen? I can’t believe other DVD’s don’t take advantage of this. Particularly games built for phone and iPad. Watching Twitch/YouTube and casually playing a game would be amazing.

lol I have some bad news about YouTube.

You’d think they would at least give premium payers pip so I highly doubt they are gonna support split screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

lol I have some bad news about YouTube.

You’d think they would at least give premium payers pip so I highly doubt they are gonna support split screen.
Or use YouTube in Safari and get split screen and pip for free, and ad blocking if you have a blocker installed.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i’m confused, the youtube app already supports slideover and split screen...?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

i’m confused, the youtube app already supports slideover and split screen...?

Does it? I couldn’t get it to work right but I might have been doing something wrong.

It doesn’t support PiP which is super annoying though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh FFS I got it to work. Never mind me!

Thanks for pointing that out.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Does it? I couldn’t get it to work right but I might have been doing something wrong.

It doesn’t support PiP which is super annoying though.

yep!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haha thanks. It took me like 5 tries to get it right for some reason.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
oh snap we all watch the same nerdy-rear end youtube channels

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh snap we all watch the same nerdy-rear end youtube channels

lol I'm sure if we did a list of all the channels we watched they would all start to look the same.

I get sucked into this dudes channel quite often though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4n8fUjtLQ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really need to get right with split screen multitasking on my iPad because I've grown to irrationally hate it and just disabled the functionality. Now I'm just blocking another avenue of productivity for no good reason other than "it's new and different" (or at least it was new at one point)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hate it too. Windowed apps or bust. The only use case I really could see here is running Youtube in parallel, as shown above. But for that to even make fully sense, the iPad would need to be able to split horizontally while in portrait mode, so that the video can actually fill out most of the area, and I think it doesn't do that so far.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the number of times I accidentally split screen'd when I meant to grab fullscreen YouTube's scrub bar and move it left just put me over the top.

Of course in the end I didn't fix anything -- now it just starts to switch fullscreen applications if I miss the scrub bar and swipe over.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I know that you can set Shortcuts to run (or request to run?) on app open, but is something like this possible?

Certain app is launched (whether fresh or swapped back to via multi-tasking) > Shortcuts turns on Do Not Disturb and turns off Silent Mode
When that app is closed (or you just jump back to the home screen or another app) > Shortcuts turns DND bacck off and turns on Silent Mode

Basically, I wanna play a music game through the iPad speakers without beeps and boops from notifications getting in the way, but then go back to receiving silent notifications when I'm done.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know that you can set Shortcuts to run (or request to run?) on app open, but is something like this possible?

Certain app is launched (whether fresh or swapped back to via multi-tasking) > Shortcuts turns on Do Not Disturb and turns off Silent Mode
When that app is closed (or you just jump back to the home screen or another app) > Shortcuts turns DND bacck off and turns on Silent Mode

Basically, I wanna play a music game through the iPad speakers without beeps and boops from notifications getting in the way, but then go back to receiving silent notifications when I'm done.

Right now it can only do the on app open part, but in iOS 14 there should be an on app close trigger as well. That said that particular trigger isn’t available in the current beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Right now it can only do the on app open part, but in iOS 14 there should be an on app close trigger as well. That said that particular trigger isn’t available in the current beta.
Awesome! I’m not seeing a silent mode toggle right now in Shortcuts either but hopefully that’s coming too.