Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The pancake isn't too much more expensive, also looks like they made a newer verision of the 50 with a stepper motor and metal mount

I've got the older one which is all plastic and only has 5 aperture blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Anyways I have better hills to die on (like anything related to anime). The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is, hands down, one of the cheapest and fastest lenses at $99 and it should be given consideration after you pick up zoom lenses to cover the focal lengths that interest you.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

brand engager posted:

The pancake isn't too much more expensive, also looks like they made a newer verision of the 50 with a stepper motor and metal mount

I've got the older one which is all plastic and only has 5 aperture blades.

I use it on my 20D and it's still fantastic but I agree that the plastic housing makes it feel cheap

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, like I said, I'm going to get the refurb bundle that's the 18-55mm and a 55-250mm

I am considering the 50mm, later on.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The 50mm is an amazing value and a cool lens, but it's honestly a weird/uncomfortable focal length on a crop sensor, I rarely enjoyed shooting with it until I got a full-frame camera.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, like I said, I'm going to get the refurb bundle that's the 18-55mm and a 55-250mm

That’ll be a great start, OP.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

President Beep posted:

That’ll be a great start, OP.

:same:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Infinite Karma posted:

The 50mm is an amazing value and a cool lens, but it's honestly a weird/uncomfortable focal length on a crop sensor, I rarely enjoyed shooting with it until I got a full-frame camera.

Agreed. F/1.8 for $100 is awesome, but its just really tight on a crop.

The good thing about the kit lens and/or 55-250mm is that you can pay attention to how often you shoot at ~55mm and how useful that focal length will be for you.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Agreed. F/1.8 for $100 is awesome, but its just really tight on a crop.

The good thing about the kit lens and/or 55-250mm is that you can pay attention to how often you shoot at ~55mm and how useful that focal length will be for you.

I re-reviewed my budget and it seems I can afford it, and the itch was stronk, so maybe, hopefully by wednesday I'll have it.

I've been pouring over this subforum and I've picked up a few pieces of books to later get that should help with composition and other stuff, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for documentation.

I've known about rule of thirds since like, high school art class, but like, should I just find something useful on youtube for tutorials?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

brand engager posted:

Cool I'll probably pick up at least the sigma after payday, just wanted to ask right away in case the forums vanish.

lol this thing is giant

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Could be worse, like the sigma 24-35mm f2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all enjoying this Canon Launch Eve?

Got lots of disposable income in the bank account to burn tomorrow?!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is it another mirrorless? Those don't seem like they are worth getting yet.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

brand engager posted:

Is it another mirrorless? Those don't seem like they are worth getting yet.

It's 2 new mirrorless bodies (R5, R6) and all indications are that the R5 will be a real good camera - canon finally put IBIS and uncropped 4K/8K video into a camera body

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I don’t have any money now, but I’m really curious, especially about the super teles (600/11 , 800/11, and 100-500L)

The R6 looks pretty sweet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the R6 has all the right decisions made with the button and dial layout.. by going back to the old tried and true layouts they've used in the past.

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/07/canon-eos-r6-photos-leaked-joystick-normal-mode-dial-no-touch-bar/

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm guessing the R6 is going to be $2499. Still going to really miss the top-screen. I feel like they could've fit it up there quite easily.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a lazy dumb idiot. Would a 5DmkIII to an R6 be a significant upgrade or what?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

um excuse me posted:

I'm a lazy dumb idiot. Would a 5DmkIII to an R6 be a significant upgrade or what?

I'd say yes? You'd be getting IBIS, 4k video, better burst rate and an EVF

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

um excuse me posted:

The R6 will have a far far better sensor than the Mk3. And Mirrorless cameras are just faster and more accurate with autofocus. R6 will also have dual card slots so you aren't losing anything by switching from a Mk3 besides the mirror inside.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
That Canon have been able to go from limited crop-heavy 4k to uncropped 8K does seem to suggest they're about to unveil a generational leap in their sensor technology. It might just be limited to to read-speed aspects but for the first time in a while (2013's Dual Pixel?), it's a Canon sensor that appears to be more than incremental improvements.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
UK prices have leaked

Canon EOS R6 Body £2499
Canon EOS R6 w/24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM £2899
Canon EOS R5 body £4199

That will include 20% sales tax.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If that really translates to a $2k R6... drat, Canon. Good job.

And yeah, this is a generational leap in both sensor and processor performance.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yea I should probably have mentioned that when I asked the about the R6. Canon is either going to significantly reduce the price of the R5 for the US market or they lied to us about start price and is way too rich for my blood.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 8, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've never been so excited about being disappointed the following day. Can't fuckin' wait.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Oh yea I should probably have mentioned that when I asked the about the R6. Canon is either going to significantly reduce the price of the R5 for the US market or they lied to us about start price and is way too rich for my blood.

Yeah I was really hoping to go mirrorless full frame this time around but goddamn that is some sticker shock. My hobbyist grade rear end has a hard time justifying that.

I expected it to be around that high, but was hoping I'd be wrong. :v:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

xzzy posted:

Yeah I was really hoping to go mirrorless full frame this time around but goddamn that is some sticker shock. My hobbyist grade rear end has a hard time justifying that.

I expected it to be around that high, but was hoping I'd be wrong. :v:

Yea, I've been curious about the R series stuff and was digging in a little bit kind of daydreaming about replacing my 50D with a refurb R or RP. The tech looks cool, and the prices on those bodies aren't even that bad for full frame, but replacing lenses with FF equivalents is pretty insane.

I guess I'll just keep riding the APS-C train and keep an eye out for a cheap 80D.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Isn't that pretty much what we expected for R5 MSRP though? Mid to upper $3k is what we expected it to be.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yea, I've been curious about the R series stuff and was digging in a little bit kind of daydreaming about replacing my 50D with a refurb R or RP. The tech looks cool, and the prices on those bodies aren't even that bad for full frame, but replacing lenses with FF equivalents is pretty insane.

I guess I'll just keep riding the APS-C train and keep an eye out for a cheap 80D.
RF mount bodies can use EF-S lenses, albeit with crop factor literally chopping off the outside pixels.

And I'll probably be wanting to unload my RP sometime around xmas.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You can have mine if I actually pull the plug on one of these new cameras. :v:

Once reviews are out.. Canon seems to have turned the ship around but they burnt a lot of goodwill the past 10 years and this is gonna need trusted gear dorks to put the bodies through their paces to convince me.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
R5 at $3500 was the best-case scenario. It would've been shocking if it was any cheaper.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's official:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Welp, gonna buy a EOS R with 24-105/f4 I guess. $2500 for body alone is a little steep for me, especially with gray market R + lens combos for $2200.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I really think they should've launched it at $1999 to compete against the Sony A7 III.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is there anything to mirrorless besides weight savings and a little bit of space saving? It seems like most of the features they get can be on a dslr without paying a premium for mirrorless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brand engager posted:

Is there anything to mirrorless besides weight savings and a little bit of space saving? It seems like most of the features they get can be on a dslr without paying a premium for mirrorless.

In terms of image quality, flange distance the big one. The rear element can be much closer to the sensor, which means lens designers don't have to put in an element group to properly focus the image on the sensor (this would be the retrofocal group if you want to read up on it). The theory is this makes for a sharper lens. Now obviously the lenses we have now for our DSLR's are already sharp as gently caress and most of us would be idiots for caring about this, but it is a real advantage.

Usability advantages are faster and more advanced autofocus (it uses the full sensor to focus where DSLR's need a special AF specific sensor that sits in the prism) and you can get a live histogram in the EVF (which is what everyone calls the zebra stripes). Most DSLR's need live view to give a histogram.

None of this is a TRASH YOUR DSLR NOW AND UPGRADE situation but if one is in the market for a new body already, it makes a lot of sense to seriously consider mirrorless.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

brand engager posted:

The RF series lenses have a different optical design with a much shorter flange distance. I'm not an optical engineer, but as far as I know, that makes it easier to build lenses with large apertures and low chromatic abberation. The RF 35 f/1.8 is probably the sharpest lens I've ever used, and it's not even an L-series.

edit: and the size and weight differences are very noticeable. My full frame mirrorless is smaller and lighter than my crop sensor 70D, it's much more comfortable for long periods, I have to imagine that something like a 5D is that much bigger of a difference, too.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 9, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hmm. 2499 is more than I thought. But it'll come down for Black Friday or Xmas sales.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Was looking at some aps-c mirrorless before I realized it's not even RF mount, it's some poo poo that can't be converted to work on their other bodies. Real L for canon there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Yeah EF-M is sadly impossible to adapt to RF but man those things are tiny I'm not surprised

charliebravo77 posted:

I've never been so excited about being disappointed the following day. Can't fuckin' wait.
I was sure the event was supposed to be on the 8th so I was ready for Canon to gently caress me up when I woke up this morning lol.

But I suppose the pricing and capabilities have been all but confirmed now so there's nothing really they could surprise us with, other than perhaps a 50% discount for Canon loyalists. Honestly though if I could get an R6 for under $2k grey market I'd probably do it. I could finally sell off my 550D body and M50 kit + 32mm 1.4.

It's weird, I had no problem buying the 550D kit for almost a grand on my first job, but now despite making several times more and this being a much more capable camera, it feels way too much to spend on a camera.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Even though they're releasing more, I feel like the M series is sort of half-dead? Or at least it was some kind of experiment in mirrorless before they had a real go at it and they're just updating it as some kind of "hey please don't leave Canon" to people who already bought one.

I know this is the Canon thread but if people are legitimately considering APS-C mirrorless then Fuji is solid. Their newest flagship is like £2000 with a 16-80mm f/4. The R5/6 look great and if I had literally unlimited money I'd probably get one, but it's just out of the realm of possibility for anyone not making photo money hand over fist, surely?