Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

For some decent twitter I've been reading Alice Nutter of former Chumbawamba, she has some decent ones (and retweets):

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1276179295283679232

https://twitter.com/alicenut1/status/1276778316775686144

https://twitter.com/judeinlondon2/status/1275722912071323648

e: That is to say I prefer it to reading the usual fuckhead twitter that gets posted a fair bit.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I didn't see that. Is there a word for when you simultaneously want to laugh like a maniac and weep deeply?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can't wait to be trading on WTO terms in a few months.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1280848320785678337

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

You could even think of [Ghislane Maxwell] as a stand-in for Reddit as a whole.

:thunk:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Gonzo McFee posted:

I didn't see that. Is there a word for when you simultaneously want to laugh like a maniac and weep deeply?

Lachenelendweinen.

Obviously.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Getting a bit annoyed with people saying why should NHS staff get free car parking, they should have to pay for it like everyone else does, or use public transport.
Everywhere is NOT LONDON with it's amazing public transport system (which until you've lived in the styx you really don't appreciate).

Where I live, it is simply not possible to do any sort of shift work and use public transport. In fact unless you live right in one of the big towns with jobs and hospitals, it is barely possible to do a regular 9-5 job and get there by public transport. If medical staff and ancillary workers are required to do shifts in many parts of the country, cars are essential.

And ps - we are talking daily car parking charges of anything from £15-£35 per day and daily bus fares of £8.80 maybe.

I bet most people saying poo poo like this park for free in an office car park.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone is itching to move to London (or within London) I've got a room free in my rented house near Barbican for £615 per month. PM me if you're interested.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

If anyone is itching to move to London (or within London) I've got a room free in my rented house near Barbican for £615 per month. PM me if you're interested.

Lmao

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot how mental London is. My 3-bed semi-detached mortgage is less than that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah it's wonderful. I'm planning to move to zone 3 next week and it's £1,400 rent for a two bed flat. I'd say guillotine but I can't afford one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's a decent price for the middle of Zone 1.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1280843102455058432?s=19

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Necrothatcher posted:

It's a decent price for the middle of Zone 1.

It's a really good price for the middle of zone 1 but that's still ridiculous.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Does it make me a hypocrite if I sneer at the bullshit meal tokens policy but I also eat free Nando's three times a week for all of August

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gonzo McFee posted:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

peanut- posted:

Does it make me a hypocrite if I sneer at the bullshit meal tokens policy but I also eat free Nando's three times a week for all of August

half off nandos, not free. discount of up to £10/head at 50%.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

CoolCab posted:

half off nandos, not free. discount of up to £10/head at 50%.

It's free 3x a week if they plan to eat there 6x a week :getin:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

StarkingBarfish posted:

It's free 3x a week if they plan to eat there 6x a week :getin:

Now that's cheeky

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does it apply to takeouts if you pick them up personally? If so it would be nice to get discounted chippy on fridays.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's only Monday - Wednesday, I think

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Does it apply to takeouts if you pick them up personally? If so it would be nice to get discounted chippy on fridays.

monday to wednesday my dude. this is a really bad effort lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's no loving use I'm not at the chippy at the start of the week.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
What I'm getting from all this is the govt has made the maximally piss-weak form of incentivisation, one that denies hard working people, salt of the earth, the ability to go hog wild on nandos. Shameful.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1280875423455420422?s=21

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Is this a near death experience thing?

Absolutely. If I were 20-30 years younger and living here it certainly would be.

kecske posted:

Jaeluni has the Curse of Achilles

Not far from the truth - the random excruciating pains in my ankles even when lying asleep in bed...

quote:

Italy calls for restrictions on non-EU arrivals to bloc

Italy has called for new precautionary measures for passengers travelling to EU countries from outside the bloc to contain the spread of coronavirus.

This week, the country suspended all flights from Bangladesh for one week due to a “significant number” of passengers who tested positive for Covid-19 on a flight to Rome on Monday.

“I would consider it appropriate to outline together new rigorous precautionary measures for arrivals from non-Schengen and non-EU areas,” Roberto Speranza, Italy’s health minister, said in a letter to the EU health commissioner Stella Kyriakides and Germany’s health minister Jens Spahn.

If this continues into next year, I wonder how many of the gammonerati appreciate that that includes the UK?

source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-update-today-covid-news-live-deaths-cases-lockdown-latest-a9607151.html

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 8, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Starmer's Labour making the shinners look more effective as an opposition with each passing day :/

look at the loving state of it lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

AAAAAAGHHH

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not far from the truth - the random excruciating pains in my ankles even when lying asleep in bed...
I get these quite a bit, but mine is from a compressed nerve cluster in my foot.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
has anyone had the motivation to work out what the absolute best case outcome from the nec elections is, and what can actually be done with that? is labour now just centrist centralism: the party until a decent human being accidentally winds up leader again in 20 years?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Had a prime example of ‘when life gives you lemons’ today.

So, as I mentioned yesterday I bought some new pans to cope with the increased scale of my orders. So the batches I cook are now double-sized as to what they were.

I made a batch of dark chocolate yesterday which didn’t turn out right at all (very hard and crystalline). So, one of the factors that defines good vs bad fudge is the size of the crystals within it and how they develop. In fact the science of it all is quite satisfying, but I digress. Basically, in increasing the volume of fudge I’m cooking, without substantially increasing its surface area I’d run into a problem. It wasn’t cooling fast enough- I beat it for like 15 minutes before the pour and it wasn’t enough.

So I’ve now devised an improvised water-bath to assist with cooling and pouring, to try and ensure that the sugar is stretched into nice long chains rather than lumpy crystals. But again I digress.

I now have a 2kg paving-slab of fudge that I won’t sell as ‘fudge’. Tastes great, texture is totally wrong. When my wonderful wife had a brainwave.

Turns out if you shave some off and blend it with cold milk, you get an amazingly delicious fudge-shake. So much so that I’m considering adding it to my lineup for next month.

As my biggest market, would you guys be interested in blocks of basically ‘solid milkshake’?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1280770107371896832?s=19

I feel like this explains a lot.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
T-Virus, t-virus, T-VIRUS!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Apparently I am being obtuse for comparing the trumpeting of today's piss weak meerkat meal announcement with the vehement dismissal of the need to provide vulnerable impoverished children with meals a few weeks back.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Camrath posted:

Had a prime example of ‘when life gives you lemons’ today.

So, as I mentioned yesterday I bought some new pans to cope with the increased scale of my orders. So the batches I cook are now double-sized as to what they were.

I made a batch of dark chocolate yesterday which didn’t turn out right at all (very hard and crystalline). So, one of the factors that defines good vs bad fudge is the size of the crystals within it and how they develop. In fact the science of it all is quite satisfying, but I digress. Basically, in increasing the volume of fudge I’m cooking, without substantially increasing its surface area I’d run into a problem. It wasn’t cooling fast enough- I beat it for like 15 minutes before the pour and it wasn’t enough.

So I’ve now devised an improvised water-bath to assist with cooling and pouring, to try and ensure that the sugar is stretched into nice long chains rather than lumpy crystals. But again I digress.

I now have a 2kg paving-slab of fudge that I won’t sell as ‘fudge’. Tastes great, texture is totally wrong. When my wonderful wife had a brainwave.

Turns out if you shave some off and blend it with cold milk, you get an amazingly delicious fudge-shake. So much so that I’m considering adding it to my lineup for next month.

As my biggest market, would you guys be interested in blocks of basically ‘solid milkshake’?

Well, on the one hand, I have my circulatory system to think of.

But on the other larger hand holding all my money, :justpost:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Camrath posted:

Sorry Camrath, been in a real Simpsons mood this month :v:

Sounds cool enough to try at least :)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How can they just deport people to the country (or not) of their parents birth? Wouldn't those countries be able just to say "No" as they are not citizens or do the sons automatically get citizenship through their parents?

It's like Labour have become one of those people that will do whatever just for a quiet life.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pesky Splinter posted:

Sorry Camrath, been in a real Simpsons mood this month :v:

Sounds cool enough to try at least :)

I’m just delighted that in the dark age of 2020, simpsons fudge memes are now a thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Where do I find the full Camrath fudge menu?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

bessantj posted:

How can they just deport people to the country (or not) of their parents birth? Wouldn't those countries be able just to say "No" as they are not citizens or do the sons automatically get citizenship through their parents?

the home office's policy is quite literally "who cares, that's between them and the country who's problem we've decided they are"

like shamima begum (who was 15 when she ran away to Syria) got her British citizenship revoked and Bangladesh just said, "well she's not one of ours and if she comes here we'll hang her" so we just made her stateless

which is literally against British law, but lol who's gonna stop em

the legal basis was basically "she's probably got Bangladeshi citizenship or could at least claim it" and the fact that this didn't immediately make everyone wonder where that leaves e.g. everyone born on the island of Ireland is pretty telling (because everyone knows it will only ever be used against people from bame backgrounds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1280820940574769154?s=19

Who could have seen this coming.