Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

grats on your new skeletal goblin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
My Jakey is gone.

His condition progressed rapidly over the last 36 hours. The pain meds weren’t helping, he couldn’t sleep, and couldn’t get comfortable. Lots of panting and whining. He could barely walk. He had stopped eating. He was even struggling to step into his dog bed then would struggle to actually lay down.

We started this morning by lifting him into our bed, and we got to doze off while cuddling with him. He always loved cuddling in the morning, but couldn’t lately because it was too painful to jump up to the bed. It was serene. He was still in pain but managed to calm down enough for us all to sleep a little.

Later we had an in home visit from a vet for euthanasia. He was on the couch (his absolute favorite place) and very peaceful, his pain was gone.

I did not expect this all to happen so fast after the diagnosis. Hug your hounds for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am so sorry.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aw man. I'm so sorry to hear about Jakey. He seemed like an excellent dog and friend. I'm giving Bonnie an extra big hug and ear scritch from you both.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

My Jakey is gone.

His condition progressed rapidly over the last 36 hours. The pain meds weren’t helping, he couldn’t sleep, and couldn’t get comfortable. Lots of panting and whining. He could barely walk. He had stopped eating. He was even struggling to step into his dog bed then would struggle to actually lay down.

We started this morning by lifting him into our bed, and we got to doze off while cuddling with him. He always loved cuddling in the morning, but couldn’t lately because it was too painful to jump up to the bed. It was serene. He was still in pain but managed to calm down enough for us all to sleep a little.

Later we had an in home visit from a vet for euthanasia. He was on the couch (his absolute favorite place) and very peaceful, his pain was gone.

I did not expect this all to happen so fast after the diagnosis. Hug your hounds for me.

I am so very sorry for your loss :sympathy:

I'm glad you were able to have an in-home visit and that his last moments were peaceful and comfortable as could be. He is a gorgeous boy and I miss him already, so I can't imagine how hard it is for you.

Sparty is sad too (he got lots of pets and cuddles after this in memory of your Jakey)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm incredibly sorry to hear that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

My Jakey is gone.

So sorry friend :smith:

I'm glad he went so peacefully, it's great that you did the in-home visit.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Thank you all for the kind words. I love you guys.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no, I'm SO sorry to hear that Beekeeper! I feel terrible that you've lost such a good companion.
I'm sure he lived a great life with you guys, at least - so I'm happy he at least had a good run. Not that that's much of a consolation, at the moment :smith:

jesus WEP posted:

grats on your new skeletal goblin

Hah, well I suppose at least YOU'RE able to stay realistic, about the likeliest outcome of this situation!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Tell me that he isn't at least part goblin.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Tell me that he isn't at least part goblin.

All I know is he's 100% working as intended.

In other news, sharing is caring

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Poor Jakey, I’m so sorry for you and your wife DB. Every time I read here about a greyhound going, I go back to when I lost my Union and feel that heartbreak again. He was a treasured member of your family and it sounds like he touched a lot of lives.

I went through your post history and Jake had an incredible time with you, ups and downs and all. He was so lucky to be in your home and I’m sure every day he felt safe and loved. Please give Barley extra loves for me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I go through the thread history every time a greyhound departs :unsmith:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

skoolmunkee posted:

Poor Jakey, I’m so sorry for you and your wife DB. Every time I read here about a greyhound going, I go back to when I lost my Union and feel that heartbreak again. He was a treasured member of your family and it sounds like he touched a lot of lives.

I went through your post history and Jake had an incredible time with you, ups and downs and all. He was so lucky to be in your home and I’m sure every day he felt safe and loved. Please give Barley extra loves for me.

Thank you! I suppose I had a habit of posting mostly the bad/concerning stuff. I need to get into the habit of sharing the happy moments in this thread.

The dog that we were fostering for a couple of months went to a potential home. Then she got returned to the adoption group, because she didn’t get along with their other (non-greyhound) dogs.

They brought her back to our place for more fostering and they said she got really excited in the car when they pulled up, she knows where she gets spoiled.

She’s no longer being fostered. She’s not a replacement for Jake, nor will she ever be. It kind of feels too soon to get another dog, but it wouldn’t be fair to her to keep bouncing her from home to home. But she fit in so well here before that she is now home. :3:

Second pic was from before we lost Jake.

We aren’t 100% sure of a good name yet. Mrs. Beekeeper has been calling her Moo. Because she has cow colors, you see. A friend of ours called her Jody one day, after we kept referring to her as Foster dog all day. (Jodie Foster). Her racing name was I think “Legacy Sport” which doesn’t easily translate into any good names.

I’ve been referring to her as “Jody Foster Moo Cow Pizza Face” due to the chapped nose.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 14, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Thank you! I suppose I had a habit of posting mostly the bad/concerning stuff. I need to get into the habit of sharing the happy moments in this thread.

The dog that we were fostering for a couple of months went to a potential home. Then she got returned to the adoption group, because she didn’t get along with their other (non-greyhound) dogs.

They brought her back to our place for more fostering and they said she got really excited in the car when they pulled up, she knows where she gets spoiled.

She’s no longer being fostered. She’s not a replacement for Jake, nor will she ever be. It kind of feels too soon to get another dog, but it wouldn’t be fair to her to keep bouncing her from home to home. But she fit in so well here before that she is now home. :3:

We aren’t 100% sure of a good name yet. Mrs. Beekeeper has been calling her Moo. Because she has cow colors, you see. A friend of ours called her Jody one day, after we kept referring to her as Foster dog all day. (Jodie Foster). Her racing name was I think “Legacy Sport” which doesn’t easily translate into any good names.

I’ve been referring to her as “Jody Foster Moo Cow Pizza Face” due to the chapped nose.

Aww, well I'm glad to hear your foster girl loved her stay and is now with you permanently! :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pizza and Moo are both excellent names

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

As a fan of cows, I am partial to Moo. I'm sure she's got a great future ahead of her, regardless of name.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

If there's a vote I'd go for Jodie for sure.

I don't know if it's true but apparently two syllable names are better for dogs as its harder to confuse their name with commands (which tend to be one syllable, especially "move" and "Moo").

On top of that she came to be with you as a Foster dog, so it's a sweet little reference.

Plus who wants to be standing in a park shouting "Moo! Come over here!"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Omg what a cute Jodie Foster Moo Pizza Face :kimchi:

I think you made the right choice, given her reaction to coming back to you guys :3: I'm so happy for you and her, and she's another one who knew Jakey

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Kitchner posted:

If there's a vote I'd go for Jodie for sure.

I don't know if it's true but apparently two syllable names are better for dogs as its harder to confuse their name with commands (which tend to be one syllable, especially "move" and "Moo").

On top of that she came to be with you as a Foster dog, so it's a sweet little reference.

Plus who wants to be standing in a park shouting "Moo! Come over here!"

Yeah, Jody / Jodie seems to roll off the tongue better when addressing her.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody have informed opinions about what the adoption situation will be like in the US moving forward? I know Florida’s racing ban goes into effect January 2021 and some tracks are closing early due to the pandemic. I’ve read that Florida has 11 out of the 17 remaining tracks in the US. It’s hard to get upset about stopping racing, but doesn’t that mean the supply of ex racers will basically dry up next year?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it probably just means there’ll be greyhound pups and young adults for sale instead of ex racers

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I assume that means the breed becomes much rarer and you pay out the ear for it like any other purebred right?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hopefully there will be a desire to breed out the tendency for osteosarcomas :(

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jody is ummm, “intact” and has been squirting blood out of her rear end randomly. Thank god for tile floors.

We have coyotes around here so we will get her spayed as soon as the bleeding stops.

I want to share a good time story with Jake:
A few years back we took him to “nail clinic” put on by the greyhound adoption group. It’s all greyhounds and at the time, we actually met at the old racetrack which was pretty cool.

For some reason at this event he started doing some weird poo poo with his ears. He pinched them both in but had them up somehow. I still don’t know what was up that day.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 15, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jody is ummm, “intact” and has been squirting blood out of her rear end randomly. Thank god for tile floors.

We have coyotes around here so we will get her spayed as soon as the bleeding stops.

A few years back we took him to “nail clinic” put on by the greyhound adoption group. It’s all greyhounds and at the time, we actually met at the old racetrack which was pretty cool.

For some reason at this event he started doing some weird poo poo with his ears. He pinched them both in but had them up somehow. I still don’t know what was up that day.

Hahaha those are great ears! Sparty's will do something similar if they get partially flipped inside-out, but he'll usually shake his head after a while. We call them crinkle-ears

Please keep sharing Jake stories!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

That is superb ear muscle control.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Ok, another Jake story. This is a photo of a friend of ours. She has a few Great Danes and is notoriously strict with them. They don’t get table scraps, they are not allowed in certain areas of her house, etc. She’s not abusive or anything, just particularly strict. She usually extends this attitude to other dogs and comes off as a bit cold.

We went to a dog friendly restaurant with her and Jake. He decided to get up on the seat with her, which he probably wasn’t supposed to do because of food laws or whatever. (No one gave a poo poo). You can see that he clearly won her over in a short amount of time.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 16, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Look at that tongue though :swoon:

I think greyhounds can be really disarming like that. Their personalities are so weird and unique compared to most breeds. They’re the best :unsmith:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Awww I’m so glad for you!!! And for *Miss PizzaMoo*

Thank you for more Jake stories, he had such a good face and cute ears.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

david_a posted:

Anybody have informed opinions about what the adoption situation will be like in the US moving forward? I know Florida’s racing ban goes into effect January 2021 and some tracks are closing early due to the pandemic. I’ve read that Florida has 11 out of the 17 remaining tracks in the US. It’s hard to get upset about stopping racing, but doesn’t that mean the supply of ex racers will basically dry up next year?

Probably some of them might transition to rescuing galgos from Spain, uk racers or racers from australia. It’s a long way but there’s groups who do it already and more dogs needing homes and proper care.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in ireland we have so many ex racers and then on top of that a ton of lurchers used for hunting and hare coursing and the like :smith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

skoolmunkee posted:

Probably some of them might transition to rescuing galgos from Spain, uk racers or racers from australia. It’s a long way but there’s groups who do it already and more dogs needing homes and proper care.

How much does importing a dog cost?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

in ireland we have so many ex racers and then on top of that a ton of lurchers used for hunting and hare coursing and the like :smith:

Funny you mention that, I was talking to someone with my adoption group here and she said after the Florida tracks close they are going to focus on importing greyhounds from Ireland. Do they get adopted out there at all?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They’re becoming a more popular pet here, but all the shelters I follow on Facebook are full to the brim 100% of the time

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

We've had to take Boudicca to the vet again to get some lumps on her belly removed. Halfway through the op the vet called to ask if he could remove her canines. Apparently they're in such a bad state that they open up directly into her root.

I can't imagine the life this dog had before. I know people here may be down on racing (I know our rescues are) but holy gently caress is the illegal stuff so much worse. She's only nine years old and completely broken due to neglect and abuse.

The only good thing is that she now has a home with food, blankies, pyjamas, food and love. And food.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Poor longdog, at least her life is improving

Do greyhounds still get fed 4D meat at tracks? That’s the lowest USDA grade and not marked for human consumption - the meat comes animals that are “dead, dying, disabled, and/or diseased.” Apparently the term is “knackery” outside the US.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Jake stories are wonderful! Also, we need more Sparty pics. He is like the class clown and his super bizarre poses make me smile. TIA.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Jake stories are wonderful! Also, we need more Sparty pics. He is like the class clown and his super bizarre poses make me smile. TIA.

Because you asked so nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgk53pbftz4

He does this every time he goes out. Doesn't matter if he was just out five minutes ago, he does these little hops. Actually more of them, I think he was weirded out by the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Because you asked so nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgk53pbftz4

He does this every time he goes out. Doesn't matter if he was just out five minutes ago, he does these little hops. Actually more of them, I think he was weirded out by the phone

haha

yeah Abby too, she has keywords where she gets really excited

outside
car
salmon
treat

etc.