Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Ernesto Miranda comes to mind as a piece of poo poo whose case was very important to have argued. If his lawyer had let the fact that he kidnapped and raped someone get in the way of that argument, we'd all be worse off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I too think it’s important for lawyers to represent fascists when they justify making children sleep on the floor in cages. How can we know that their representation is bad just because we think it is now? Maybe in fifty years we will think separating children from their parents and putting them in cages to be sexually abused and die of easily preventable diseases was, in fact, good. Lawyers arguing for slavery are important too—without them who will push for people to be enslaved? Who’s to say really it’s very complicated

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I too think it’s important for lawyers to represent fascists when they justify making children sleep on the floor in cages. How can we know that their representation is bad just because we think it is now? Maybe in fifty years we will think separating children from their parents and putting them in cages to be sexually abused and die of easily preventable diseases was, in fact, good. Lawyers arguing for slavery are important too—without them who will push for people to be enslaved? Who’s to say really it’s very complicated

Maybe in fifty years we will see some difference between defending despicable state actions and defending despicable people from debatable state action. If 2020 is any indication, 2070 could have some weird stuff!!!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You're smarter than this

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Look Sir Droids posted:

Tbh I would go with criticizing HOW these lawyers represent lovely clients, not JUST that they represent lovely clients. Dersh and Sekulow beclowned themselves with how they defended Trump. If Lightfoot or lawyers repping Dow did some unethical or clowny bullshit in representing their clients, then gently caress 'em. But no thank you kn dumping on them just because they repped bad people.

My prime example of judging a lawyer on how they rep a client is the lawyer for the affluenza kid in Texas. gently caress that bullshit.

Yeah I really can't get mad at a lawyer for how his/her client pleads or how they testify (if they choose to); but if that same lawyer goes on TV just to taint the jury pool and spread lies, then gently caress them forever. Same goes for lawyers who deliberately misrepresent the facts or the law in court - even when it doesn't work, it increases the cost and time of litigation on the rest of us.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think court cases should be determined by coinflip. No 2 out of three, no appeals. If the sides can't determine who is heads or who is tails that issue is decided by rock paper scissors, where the rules will allow for a 2/3 set.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

blarzgh posted:

You're smarter than this

No, you heard them loud and clear. Judges and juries are both immoral and irrational, therefore the right to counsel should be nullified. I've been saying for years that drug offenders should be summarily executed. Thank goodness someone finally gets it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Underhill, surely?

fuckin lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Underhill, surely?

I, on the other hand, am not smart enough to get this.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
u a hobbit, bitch

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ole bodo proudfoot lookin rear end bitch

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

You're smarter than this

A lawyer taking a principled stand on behalf of a weak client against a powerful opponent or system, is just, even if that client’s conduct, motivations, or morals are reprehensible.

A lawyer taking an unprincipled stand on behalf of a powerful client or system, whose conduct or motivations are immoral or reprehensible, against the weak, is unjust.

Lawyers have a duty and a responsibility to be more than mercenaries. Those who do not are reprehensible. It’s that simple.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oh, ok.

I think y'all have me confused with somebody else in the thread though; I'm kind of a big boy

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A lawyer taking a principled stand on behalf of a weak client against a powerful opponent or system, is just, even if that client’s conduct, motivations, or morals are reprehensible.

A lawyer taking an unprincipled stand on behalf of a powerful client or system, whose conduct or motivations are immoral or reprehensible, against the weak, is unjust.

Lawyers have a duty and a responsibility to be more than mercenaries. Those who do not are reprehensible. It’s that simple.

I may steal this.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is just a lofty way of saying, "eat the rich" which is not the same as practicing law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

what about an unprincipled stand on behalf of a moderately powerful client against another moderately powerful entity, for money

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
It's just a job bros

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

what about an unprincipled stand on behalf of a moderately powerful client against another moderately powerful entity, for money

Chaotic neutral

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Take that rationale full circle then. Every lawyer passes the buck until it reaches the public defender. Not only does public defender get poo poo pay, but they have to represent every single despicable client. No self-respecting person would stick around for that, so the job eventually attracts worse and worse candidates. Sure, the "bads" get screwed, but so do the people that actually need a competent public defender.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Please help my XXXL client against their municipality, it's a matter of intermediate justice!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grip it and rip it posted:

Please help my XXXL client against their municipality, it's a matter of intermediate justice!

This is interminably funny to me because of my own personal experience.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Moose_Knuck posted:

Take that rationale full circle then. Every lawyer passes the buck until it reaches the public defender. Not only does public defender get poo poo pay, but they have to represent every single despicable client. No self-respecting person would stick around for that, so the job eventually attracts worse and worse candidates. Sure, the "bads" get screwed, but so do the people that actually need a competent public defender.

Hey buddy, just how familiar are you with the American judicial system? Cuz you might want to sit down...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I thought we were waxing philosophic, who said anything about reality

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I thought we were waxing philosophic,

I usually just trim it up a little bit down there;

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Fair enough. I agree it's one thing to go looking for the worst of the worst for profit, but it's still extremely lovely being the last one to say "Not it!" and then have to defend said person/entity and get judged for it when you do a good job of it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Moose_Knuck posted:

Fair enough. I agree it's one thing to go looking for the worst of the worst for profit, but it's still extremely lovely being the last one to say "Not it!" and then have to defend said person/entity and get judged for it when you do a good job of it.

I’m not sure how you took “gently caress the police” to mean “public defenders suck”

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
I didn't.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You omitted the "taking a principled stand on behalf of a powerful client or system..." part, which I interpreted as passing the buck. If I misunderstood, then I apologize.

EDIT: By "principled" I mean fulfilling your duties as an attorney to the utmost, not necessarily your morals aligning with the position.

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 9, 2020

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

a lawyer sucking dick for crack is unjust, regardless of that crack's purity, market cost, or additives.

a lawyer sucking dick just for the love of the sport, now, that is just

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

hobbit rear end bitch

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Moose_Knuck posted:

There's this angle which is valid, everyone deserves access to the legal system and representation. But then there's the people who take their $150k+ jobs out of law school and then bitch in year 2 how they're burnt out and feeling empty/unfulfilled. Like no poo poo, who do you think can afford to pay your firm enough so they can pay you $180k? The loving World Wildlife Fund?

There's a disconnect in this business where lawyers feel like they don't have a "choice" when the choice is obvious, get paid less money. This could go down a rabbit hole, but I lay at least part of the blame on people who go K-JD and don't have an appreciation for "choice" in the legal market. That and Type A psychos (obviously). Then there's the ever-ballooning costs of law school basically mandating those dogshit burnout jobs helping corporations club seals.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soothing Vapors posted:

hobbit rear end bitch

That's joat mon and his hobbit rear end joats.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

There's this angle which is valid, everyone deserves access to the legal system and representation. But then there's the people who take their $150k+ jobs out of law school and then bitch in year 2 how they're burnt out and feeling empty/unfulfilled. Like no poo poo, who do you think can afford to pay your firm enough so they can pay you $180k? The loving World Wildlife Fund?

There's a disconnect in this business where lawyers feel like they don't have a "choice" when the choice is obvious, get paid less money. This could go down a rabbit hole, but I lay at least part of the blame on people who go K-JD and don't have an appreciation for "choice" in the legal market. That and Type A psychos (obviously). Then there's the ever-ballooning costs of law school basically mandating those dogshit burnout jobs helping corporations club seals.

The nuance of your post is refreshing.

Aight, I'm out. Thanks, nerds, for letting me play in your law sandbox. Best of luck. :butts:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

blarzgh posted:

This is interminably funny to me because of my own personal experience.

And that’s just with shirts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I'd like to avoid more "driving good lawgoons out of the space" situations a la Actus Rhesus please

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 9, 2020

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Diamond Dogs, but for lawyers.

Starting Punished Phil, Big Boss.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd like to avoid more "driving good lawgoons out of the space" situations a la Actust Rhesus please

I'll never leave you guys; I have nowhere else to go.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd like to avoid more "driving good lawgoons out of the space" situations a la Actust Rhesus please

Who was driven out?

blarzgh posted:

I'll never leave you guys; I have nowhere else to go.

He said “good” law goons

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
AR didn’t like being called a cop

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

He said “good” law goons

You're on fire today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's joat mon and his hobbit rear end joats.

Hey y'all, merry lol, three leaf ivy makes you itch,
Loppin' logs, law dogs, to defense make the switch,
Long day flies away, when bunny noses twitch,
Hobbit not, silly sot, COS I'M TOM BOMBADIL, BITCH!