Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Camrath posted:

As my biggest market, would you guys be interested in blocks of basically ‘solid milkshake’?

I would buy your eton meth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

XMNN posted:

the home office's policy is quite literally "who cares, that's between them and the country who's problem we've decided they are"

like shamima begum (who was 15 when she ran away to Syria) got her British citizenship revoked and Bangladesh just said, "well she's not one of ours and if she comes here we'll hang her" so we just made her stateless

which is literally against British law, but lol who's gonna stop em

the legal basis was basically "she's probably got Bangladeshi citizenship or could at least claim it" and the fact that this didn't immediately make everyone wonder where that leaves e.g. everyone born on the island of Ireland is pretty telling (because everyone knows it will only ever be used against people from bame backgrounds)

But couldn't the Caribbean islands do the same and in an ironic twist, send them back? Poor buggers could be stuck in a ping pong dystopia.

And I guess when it comes to Begum it was too much to ask some semblance of justice (whatever that is in this case) to exist.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 8, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Darth Walrus posted:

Where do I find the full Camrath fudge menu?

I’m currently closed for orders (will be opening again in the last week of the month) but I always put my menu up here and on Facebook at fb.me/fudjit. Watch this space :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

And I guess when it comes to Begum it was too much to ask some semblance of justice (whatever that is in this case) to exist.
That's 100% on the press. If they'd gone full "drag her back and lock her up" she'd be allowed back.

Corbyn supported obeying international law though so obvs she had to be made stateless.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not far from the truth - the random excruciating pains in my ankles even when lying asleep in bed...

I fell down a muddy hill in Sheffield while under the influence about a decade back and screwed up my right ankle. In the last couple of years I've been getting flare ups every six months or so where I can't flex or put any pressure on the ankle (including lying down on a bed) without being in screaming agony. Last time it happened it took me 20 minutes to crawl down a flight of stairs.

I am deathly afraid it's post traumatic osteoarthritis and is just gonna get worse as I get older. So what I'm saying is ... just don't get old :shrug:?

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Camrath posted:

Turns out if you shave some off and blend it with cold milk, you get an amazingly delicious fudge-shake. So much so that I’m considering adding it to my lineup for next month.

As my biggest market, would you guys be interested in blocks of basically ‘solid milkshake’?

Sneak a little sample into this month's orders?

First times free, and all that.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

ForkBanger posted:

Sneak a little sample into this month's orders?

First times free, and all that.

This is the plan :)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

but he was being so polite to him, how could Boris do this to poor old Keir?

also if starmer had done some more vocal opposing, instead of " I support this but unlike the PM I'm not blind to the risks", then he could point to that

also also "captain hindsight", nice to see the PM joining the gaslighting about how we could never have done anything about it

bessantj posted:

But couldn't the Caribbean islands do the same and in an ironic twist, send them back? Poor buggers could be stuck in a ping pong dystopia.

I refer you to the first line of my post :v:

but probably nothing stopping them other than the fact they're probably marginally less morally bankrupt/racist against people with afrocaribbean backgrounds

otherwise yeah I guess they end up in limbo (although hopefully not stuck in Syria) which is why we have laws and a UN convention against making people stateless

justice in begum's case would have been just... bringing her to justice. making her stand trial in the UK for any crimes she'd committed rather than leaving her and her baby to rot in the middle of a war zone

bet if it had been a white girl who ran away at 15, they'd have brought her home (unless e.g. they could make her Ireland's problem)

I honestly think the government were probably over the moon when that baby died

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Camrath posted:

This is the plan :)

oh no my wallet teeth diabeetus

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

RockyB posted:

I fell down a muddy hill in Sheffield while under the influence about a decade back and screwed up my right ankle. In the last couple of years I've been getting flare ups every six months or so where I can't flex or put any pressure on the ankle (including lying down on a bed) without being in screaming agony. Last time it happened it took me 20 minutes to crawl down a flight of stairs.

I am deathly afraid it's post traumatic osteoarthritis and is just gonna get worse as I get older. So what I'm saying is ... just don't get old :shrug:?

Too late - I'm already old :corsair:

Mine is tiny bits of cartilage between the muscle fibres and if they decide to go walkabout for reasons best known only to themselves the pain can be excruciating - anything from a few minutes to a few days and not always the same ankle.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

someone remake the pic with all the floating Corbyn heads laughing, except it's shadow cabinet members making the helpless face

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

America may be a terrible hell country, but I like the concept of jus soli* and the bringing in of spouses* without arbitrary income thresholds, which appear to be much better than here.

*I'm sure there are racist exceptions and unfairness in practice, but at least on paper it's good

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ich nichten lichten

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Camrath posted:

Had a prime example of ‘when life gives you lemons’ today.

So, as I mentioned yesterday I bought some new pans to cope with the increased scale of my orders. So the batches I cook are now double-sized as to what they were.

I made a batch of dark chocolate yesterday which didn’t turn out right at all (very hard and crystalline). So, one of the factors that defines good vs bad fudge is the size of the crystals within it and how they develop. In fact the science of it all is quite satisfying, but I digress. Basically, in increasing the volume of fudge I’m cooking, without substantially increasing its surface area I’d run into a problem. It wasn’t cooling fast enough- I beat it for like 15 minutes before the pour and it wasn’t enough.

So I’ve now devised an improvised water-bath to assist with cooling and pouring, to try and ensure that the sugar is stretched into nice long chains rather than lumpy crystals. But again I digress.

I now have a 2kg paving-slab of fudge that I won’t sell as ‘fudge’. Tastes great, texture is totally wrong. When my wonderful wife had a brainwave.

Turns out if you shave some off and blend it with cold milk, you get an amazingly delicious fudge-shake. So much so that I’m considering adding it to my lineup for next month.

How is it in hot milk?

With the weather what it is at the moment I'd much more likely be feeling hot fudgeolate than fudgeshake.

Fudge.

Starting to wish I'd left flouncing a day or two longer so that I could have just linked to this when emailing her and called her loving pathetic to her face.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
what the gently caress is the point of voting for something you don't 100% support when you're such a minority in the parliament. what's your votes against gonna do, stop it passing? piss off

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Something something political capital.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

thespaceinvader posted:

How is it in hot milk?

With the weather what it is at the moment I'd much more likely be feeling hot fudgeolate than fudgeshake.

In a word, delicious :)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Angepain posted:

what the gently caress is the point of voting for something you don't 100% support when you're such a minority in the parliament. what's your votes against gonna do, stop it passing? piss off

that sounds like opposition for opposition's sake to me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

Same thing as Harman on the welfare bill, they think either think supporting the government will make them popular or they just actually do agree with it 100% but are pretending not to.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

the bringing in of spouses* without arbitrary income thresholds, which appear to be much better than here.

If your US citizen spouse doesn't make over a certain sum they need to find someone else who does to sign a legally binding agreement they will pay for your rear end if need be rather than your claiming benefits. Its not as bad a system as here but it's not great either.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

the adults are truly in the room now

"clean your bedroom or you can't have any haribo"
NO!!!! and YOU'RE A POOP haha
"ok... here's your sweets"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

feedmegin posted:

If your US citizen spouse doesn't make over a certain sum they need to find someone else who does to sign a legally binding agreement they will pay for your rear end if need be rather than your claiming benefits. Its not as bad a system as here but it's not great either.

Thanks. I knew it couldn't all be roses like in the movies ("I fell in love with this random foreigner and now we live together in an awesome apartment in New York with no visible means of support"), but yeah the UK's is particularly cruel.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

but tough decisions

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

it's bizarre to me how "I'm gonna move to another country" is such a trope here, like when soap actors leave the show their characters just "move to Canada" or Chile or Cameroon or something, just like that. Or your Place in the Sun type shows where people are all "I'm just gonna retire to a golf course in Florida"

I'm sure that at least feeds into older people's attitudes on immigration and asylum and the like, as though people can just gently caress off anywhere on a whim

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Place in the Sun except it's a game show where the most awful celebrities get fired into the sun.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

Place in the Sun except it's a game show where the most awful celebrities get fired into the sun.

Brazen Bullseye - bad celebrities play darts before being roasted inside a broze statue of Bully the Bull.
Countdown - the worst columnists have 30 seconds to screech out their worst takes, before a bomb strapped to their neck blows their head off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

baka kaba posted:

it's bizarre to me how "I'm gonna move to another country" is such a trope here, like when soap actors leave the show their characters just "move to Canada" or Chile or Cameroon or something, just like that. Or your Place in the Sun type shows where people are all "I'm just gonna retire to a golf course in Florida"

I'm sure that at least feeds into older people's attitudes on immigration and asylum and the like, as though people can just gently caress off anywhere on a whim

One of the reasons I ended up staying in the UK after dad passed away was it was becoming more and more difficult to get visas to stay in Cairo (for more than 3 months) and the demands to be met for residency getting more and more tough. When I went there it was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

XMNN posted:

I refer you to the first line of my post :v:

but probably nothing stopping them other than the fact they're probably marginally less morally bankrupt/racist against people with afrocaribbean backgrounds

otherwise yeah I guess they end up in limbo (although hopefully not stuck in Syria) which is why we have laws and a UN convention against making people stateless

justice in begum's case would have been just... bringing her to justice. making her stand trial in the UK for any crimes she'd committed rather than leaving her and her baby to rot in the middle of a war zone

bet if it had been a white girl who ran away at 15, they'd have brought her home (unless e.g. they could make her Ireland's problem)

Funny you should say that.
I don't know if you are aware, but there is the case of Lisa Smith which is running through the courts at the moment. Basically white former soldier, converted to Islam. Went to Syria. Questions over what she did there.
She had a kid while there, and then petitioned Ireland to bring her and her child home.

A whole lot of people in Ireland were incredibly vocal about how we shouldn't risk "are boyz" lives to rescue her. She was flown back to Ireland (I think largely on the strength of Leo arguing "the child is an Irish Citizen and hasn't done anything wrong.)
She has been arrested and is being charged with pretty nebulous offences at this point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Do not, and I cannot stress this enough, go with the obvious candidate.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Just an entire article of :brainworms:

quote:

Sunak’s hospitality package made him feel “massively vindicated” for switching his vote from Labour. “Can you imagine what state we’d be in if Jeremy Corbyn had been in charge of all this?” he asked.

quote:

He felt able to vote Tory only after burying his dad – “He’d kill me!” – and said he was primarily motivated by a desire to cut immigration in a borough that is 97% white. “Whole sections of Leigh that are colonised with new entrants,”

And a kid who worries about being able to afford a house in future, but might also vote tory because ???

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

feedmegin posted:

Moved to the US with my US citizen wife when neither of had a job. Didn't do anything like that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

sinky posted:

And a kid who worries about being able to afford a house in future, but might also vote tory because ???
lol simp nation.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Are we still getting £500 to spend at local shops or has that been doubled and gone to businesses. I'm guessing they meant 1k per employee - must be some fun conversations about 'where's my half then?'

baka kaba posted:

ich nichten lichten

Nein, ich sagte hast du ein Feuerzeug?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sinky posted:

But I am reliably informed that categorizing people into friends and enemies is bad. We must be nice to these people and debate them despite them being clearly just absolute wastes of skin.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The £1000 was just an idea some thinktank had. Of course the tories aren't going to give you poo poo.
The stamp duty cut did save the old racist in that article a few grand though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I posted this in cspam but sunak is already hinting at hyperausterity to pay for covid issues and today's measures are trying to paper over the cracks until his autumn budget when he'll announce it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

All the 'giveaways' in the budget are loving poo poo and specific in such a certain set of circumstances. I imagine by August we'll be in the second wave, so half the stuff for hospitality won't be used anyway.

Must be curious leaving education and potentially working from home all your life. It'd be worth starting up a business and just hiring all your mates to dick about over winter

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

I posted this in cspam but sunak is already hinting at hyperausterity to pay for covid issues and today's measures are trying to paper over the cracks until his autumn budget when he'll announce it.

Starmer will nod sagely and 3-line-whip Sunak's "Kill the Poor" bill through the Commons

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Unkempt posted:

Moved to the US with my US citizen wife when neither of had a job. Didn't do anything like that.

Moved to the US to marry my US citizen wife back in the day and we had to get her parents to do this because she didn't have a job - https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

It's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
UKMT.csv update:

Spot the happenings! Most surprising thing for me is that I thought that this thread was getting less busy, not more, but there's a pretty clear inflation going on here. Because I can't work out how to make the dates readable, the peaks in order are 2010 GE, January 2012 (no idea what was happening then, might go back and have a dig), 2013 locals, 2015 leadership election, and you can probably guess from there.

e: Wait that last, biggest peak is December *2018*, December 2019 is the last, truncated peak - presumably Brexit shenanigans?
ee: Somehow it's combined December 2018 and January 2019, how did this get here i am not good with computer

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 8, 2020