Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That new manual is available in 5 and 6 speed flavors as well and in some of the leaked documents is described as "Hybrid compatible". So there's the possibility for some interesting stuff, even if it's unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

Goddamn the grille still looks like a photoshop in some angles, especially since the rest of the car is fine. Nothing wrong with it except that one thing. :argh:

It would be excellent if they're trolling everyone

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Define good, because their trucks are cheap and robust good trucks, even if they can't compete on features and interior and ride quality and poo poo.

Aftermarket parts availability and general Toyota-level reliability of all the bits and pieces aside the Frontier is a more robust and better driving truck than the Tacoma while costing substantially less, and while the Titan isn't on paper competitive with the modern American trucks it's also a lot cheaper than a Tundra which is also not competitive on paper but carries the Toyota tax. The Tacoma was probably the most disappointing vehicle I've ever driven tbh, I loved them until I drove one, the engine is extremely blah.

A case can be made for the 370Z now being so old and primitive that it's looped around from outdated joke to cool.

Otherwise... yea, I think Kia and Hyundai have sort of ruined Nissan as a cheap car value proposition

That's a fair point about their trucks. I hadn't thought much about them (especially the Frontier since it's so old) but they're shockingly inexpensive. Just looking at the respective Canadian sites the top-trim (2019) Frontier is listed at $39500 and the Taco starts at $37500. The top trim Taco is just under $51k Canadian. That's a lot of money saved.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Minto Took posted:

I was considering a 370Z, but I got a dog.

i'm fascinated, why were you considering the 370Z?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The rear end is Lexus IS reminiscent.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
2021 Mazda 3 2.5L turbo awd is live on the Mazda USA site. 250 hp and 320 with 93 octane. Says available late 2020.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

fknlo posted:

More shots of the M3

If you took the center bar out of the grille, it would be a normal looking Audi. You wouldn't even have to change anything else.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao automatic only

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I thought about complaining about auto only, but I wasn't going to buy one so oh well.

To be clear, if it had been available last year and if it would have been a manual, I would have been lining up with cash in hand. Since I purchased the Golf R though, I'm set for my high performance hatches for awhile. My 4k mile a year life and the 6 year 72,000 mile warranty means I really don't have to worry about anything for quite awhile.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to right now is the refreshed BRZ. If they manage to give it more power without ruining it, it's going to be a hard thing to say no to.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009

Yuns posted:

2021 Mazda 3 2.5L turbo awd is live on the Mazda USA site. 250 hp and 320 with 93 octane. Says available late 2020.

Going to guess we aren't getting this in the UK. I still don't understand why Mazda are resistant to offering their larger engines in Europe, it's all well and good offering a well appointed interior and driving dynamics if you don't at least allow the option of a bigger engine for people cross shopping warm/hot hatches it kind of sucks.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The best 370Z to buy is a used one.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yuns posted:

This is a cool idea. Even though no one buys sedans anymore, I would love a class of vehicles that have strong engines, but don't cost as much as entry level luxury like the 3 series or A4. e.g. MSRP around 25k instead of 35k, but with comparable performance. I'm not positive where the cost cutting would come from, but I feel it's doable and could be profitable.

Is the Camry V6 going away? Something like that I guess, though the Mazda3 sounds even better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

^^^^ the honda accord 2.0T sport exists

Russian Bear posted:

The best 370Z to buy is a used one.

the best thing to do is subtract 130

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

$35k in Canada for the Mazda 3 hatch turbo, and I can't decide if that's a ludicrous price for a c-segment car with a mid-tier trim that's $11k cheaper or a great price for a powerful and beautifully styled car with a better interior design than the BMW 3.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nostalgia for the 300ZX.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Mazda3T adding a heated steering wheel reminds me: my mom has a CX-5 that has ventilated seats and I'm continually surprised that the Mazda3 had such an upgrade on the interior with the idea of going upscale, but neglected to include that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Ventilated seats probably cost a lot more on the production end than heated seats and so are left to higher margin vehicles I would assume

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Heated seats are significantly simpler than cooled/ventilated seats and a lot easier to fit to an existing seat. One is just some electrical wire and resistors, while the other is a seat designed with airflow and fans and some have their own cooling unit or are looped into the AC as well.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 8, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I think it's going to be a great little car. I really like Mazda's driving dynamics and having 250/320 in a not too heavy package is going to make it pretty lively. If my Tesla purchase falls through because of QC issues, I'll be looking really hard at it so long as they can deliver by the fall.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Inner Light posted:

This is a cool idea. Even though no one buys sedans anymore, I would love a class of vehicles that have strong engines, but don't cost as much as entry level luxury like the 3 series or A4. e.g. MSRP around 25k instead of 35k, but with comparable performance. I'm not positive where the cost cutting would come from, but I feel it's doable and could be profitable.

Is the Camry V6 going away? Something like that I guess, though the Mazda3 sounds even better.

The Camry V6 effectively only exists on paper. In a 50-mile radius around central Florida, less than 1% of new Camrys on dealer lots have a V6. There are 6 times as many Avalons, and 16 times as many Lexus ES350s.

I'm gonna laugh all day if the turbo 3 still keeps the torsion-beam rear. At least do what Ford and VW do for the Focus and Golf in the EU, which is swap out the torsion beam for an IRS in higher trims.

While the buzz is around the turbo 3, Mazda has brought back a true base model with the 2.0 which will be far more important to Mazda's bottom line.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Ventilated seats probably cost a lot more on the production end than heated seats and so are left to higher margin vehicles I would assume

Oh sure, I'm not saying they should be a base option. They're not even available on the top trim is what surprised me.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

The Camry V6 effectively only exists on paper.

Also true in the sense that the the V6 is crippled by the transmission programming to prevent you from actually using most of that power.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If Toyota puts a real LSD in the TuRD Camry I'd be seriously tempted

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If Toyota puts a real LSD in the TuRD Camry I'd be seriously tempted

They'd need a factory warranty'd transmission tune as well but yeah that would be pretty compelling.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao automatic only

Mazdas six speed auto is fine.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Toyota's site won't let me build a Camry TuRD on their configurator, says it is not available in my region in the US.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Torsion beams are fine for the Mazda 3. Although in my ideal world every car would have Double wishbone suspension.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

They'd need a factory warranty'd transmission tune as well but yeah that would be pretty compelling.

Depending on how they sell it's possible I guess, especially if all the TuRD reviewers and owners say it needs one. Savagegeese reviewed it and said that's all it needs to be a really good car.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Depending on how they sell it's possible I guess, especially if all the TuRD reviewers and owners say it needs one. Savagegeese reviewed it and said that's all it needs to be a really good car.

Does it matter when you can get an accord 2.0T in 10spd or manual?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Mazda3 rear torsion beam is well sorted. I think that's better than them spending money on a more expensive layout and not having the $$$ to tune it properly and it being more expensive to replace.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FWIW even Honda won't give 2.0T 6MT Accord buyers an LSD

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

$35k in Canada for the Mazda 3 hatch turbo, and I can't decide if that's a ludicrous price for a c-segment car with a mid-tier trim that's $11k cheaper or a great price for a powerful and beautifully styled car with a better interior design than the BMW 3.

Upper spec models are always crazy when you look at it that way - the jump from a basic CX-9 to a Signature is just as much and you don't even get a more powerful engine.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

dissss posted:

Upper spec models are always crazy when you look at it that way - the jump from a basic CX-9 to a Signature is just as much and you don't even get a more powerful engine.

yea it just sets off this dissonance in my brain where, for example in this context, the idea of a $35k Mazda 3 is absurd to me, and yet actually comparing its design and interior and whatnot to competitors it's like $15k cheaper than anything that's actually nicer

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have the sky active x Mazda and I kinda wanna see how the turbo feels

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Does it matter when you can get an accord 2.0T in 10spd or manual?

Same reviewer (SG) said it's too soft :shrug:

Idk, if I were going to buy a TuRD Camry I'd probably drive an Accord as well and pick between the two.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have the sky active x Mazda and I kinda wanna see how the turbo feels

We have it in the CX9 and it's gotta be amazing in a 3. Amazingly response at low RPM and plenty of power even in a big SUV going up the mountains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Minto Took posted:

Nostalgia for the 300ZX.

just buy a 300zx

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Jymmybob posted:

We have it in the CX9 and it's gotta be amazing in a 3. Amazingly response at low RPM and plenty of power even in a big SUV going up the mountains.

Yea it doesn't appear from their official materials that they've done anything in terms of suspension or brake upgrades to the turbo 3, but if it's tuned to actually deliver all that power when you stomp on it without pulling timing or anything it's going to fuckin hustle

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I really would like to know what kind of compromises Mazda made to get the Mazda3 Turbo. I'm also looking forward to the excuses caranddriver will make about how the GTI/Golf R is still somehow better than it despite costing more and having less to offer in features and reliability.

Until Mazda came along nobody else wanted to give you Turbo AWD with all the creature comforts for less than 40k. Had to shell out for a Golf R or Focus RS. If this car doesn't have some kind of dealbreaking bugs its basically occupying the sweet spot for all my requirements. I'm even thinking long and hard about trading my GS350 AWD for it.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mercedes is previewing the new UI and infotainment system in the upcoming next gen S Class.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/08/2021-mercedes-benz-s-class-new-technology-3d-displays-mbux/

The article has a Mercedes promo video of it that I can't seem to link to.

edit - See if this link works, it might take a minute or so to load: https://motorsport.tv/embed/CGhk68E9

quote:

New 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class gets 3D instrument cluster, next-gen MBUX software

Augmented-reality head-up display, even an animal-noises tutorial

Every new Mercedes-Benz S-Class needs to be significantly better than its predecessor. The next-generation model is almost ready to make its global debut, and official details about it are beginning to emerge. Mercedes announced the sedan will inaugurate a new version of its MBUX infotainment system that's packed with a mile-long list of features ranging from fingerprint recognition to a Chit-Chat function that answers questions.

The software's central component is a 12.8-inch, portrait-oriented OLED touchscreen with haptic feedback technology. It groups the functions you'd normally expect to find in an infotainment system, like navigation, connectivity, and entertainment, and it's also used to adjust the climate control system. Going all-digital allowed Mercedes to design a dashboard with 27 fewer buttons than the one in the outgoing, current-generation S-Class. Safety-related features (like the windshield wipers and all of the lights) are still operated via stalks, however.

MBUX is no longer trapped in the dashboard-mounted touchscreen; it permeates the entire car. It responds to touch inputs, voice commands, hand gestures, and eye movements. It still wakes up when one of the passengers says "Hey, Mercedes" followed by a request, so the driver can say "Hey, Mercedes, play Hey Mercedes," but it now responds to commands not preceded by the keyword. It also answers car-related questions, like where the first-aid kit is located or how to pair a phone via Bluetooth, and it learns the user's habits over time.

Mercedes added a Smart Home function that links MBUX to internet-connected appliances and devices, so it can pre-heat your oven. It talks to the car, too. For example, on-board cameras know when the occupants are exiting the car. If the blind-spot monitoring function detects they're about to step onto oncoming traffic, it instructs MBUX to make the ambient lighting red as a warning. And, it gains a Chit-Chat function that, according to the company, "supplies the right answer to many questions — even questions about animal noises or general knowledge can be answered." Although the system may not know the meaning of life, it can seemingly teach you to speak okapi.

MBUX will receive over-the-air updates, and motorists will be able to make in-car purchases, though precisely what they'll be able to buy is still up in the air, if you'll pardon the pun. Before buying, they'll need to identify themselves by entering a PIN, with their voice, with a fingerprint, or with facial recognition technology.

The second screen in the driver's line of sight is a digital, configurable instrument cluster that provides a real three-dimensional effect at the touch of a button. Mercedes noted that, thankfully, the driver will not need to wear 3D glasses to use this function. An augmented-reality head-up display will be available, likely as an option. In the demonstration at around the 1:00 mark in the video above, a turn indicator races ahead of the car visually to show you exactly which street to take.

The passengers riding in the back can enjoy a screen-fest, too. The list of extra-cost options includes a rear-seat entertainment system that adds three screens; two are attached to the front seats, and one is integrated into the central armrest. Each screen runs a version of MBUX that gives the rear occupants access to personalized media content, so one can watch a movie while the other is listening to music. Sharing information -- like a playlist or a restaurant review -- with the driver or with the other person sitting on the back seat is possible, too.

Screens, screens, and screens; what else?

Mercedes very clearly funneled a substantial amount of resources into developing lucrative on-board technology, but the S-Class isn't merely a giant, internet-connected touchscreen on wheels. Although official details about what the next-generation model looks like beyond the cabin are few and far between, low-resolution spy shots published on Instagram in May 2020 gave us an early look at the sedan. Up front, the styling changes are largely evolutionary; it still unmistakably looks like a the flagship of the company's range. Out back, it gains triangle-shaped horizontal lights connected by a strip of chrome, a styling cue that emphasizes its width.

Similarly, technical specifications remain under wraps for the time being. We're not expecting massive changes, meaning the line-up will again include six-, eight-, and 12-cylinder engines, plus at least one plug-in hybrid option. Mercedes confirmed it will not build a battery-powered variant of the S-Class, but it will sell the sedan alongside a comparably-sized electric model previewed by the futuristic Vision EQS concept unveiled in 2019.

Mercedes-Benz will introduce the next-generation S-Class online in the coming months, and it should arrive in showrooms across America shortly after as a 2021 model. Pricing for the standard model will start in the vicinity of $100,000, and the range will later grow with the addition of Maybach- and AMG-badged variants.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 9, 2020