Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've never gotten the hang of auto-aim, I gave up on it because too often it tries to target something on the other side of a wall instead of the thing a screen away I actually want to target. It would be a lot handier if it targeted whatever's closest to your cursor when you fire, rather than whatever's closest to you.

So let me tell you about my latest Noita experience. I got it a couple weeks ago and, being Very Bad at it, have died a couple hundred times, usually hilariously, and probably still don't really understand how rods work. I am cheating with the auto-regen mod and set it to regen about 3HP a second. Fleeing to safety and standing around a minute or two to recover my health is boring and lame, you say? Yes, yes it is. But so is running the mines over and over and over. And over. And over.

Anyway, last night I got deeper than I ever have before, thanks to a wondrous murderwand (magic arrow+trigger plus quadcast on a low-recharge wand with 10 slots = win button) and terrific luck with the Perk Lottery (explosion-proof, lightning-proof, low-grav, fast-movement, saving grace). I've never looked at the wiki and tried to avoid obvious spoilers in this thread, so I had no idea just how far the game goes. The rest in spoilers in case anyone else here is like me.

So after like two hours of carefully descending the Temple of the Art I find the red warp, go in, find the huge spider guy. I'm like, all right, finally, a boss! He dies in like 5 seconds :geno:. (I now am given to understand there are things called 'orbs' which make him more of an HP sponge if you collect them, but I've only ever seen one.) He drops ~The Work~ and then I warp to this... weird entrapped stone place? There's nothing here really except a spot where I'm supposed to deposit The Work. OK, this is definitely gonna be the Big Boss. Get everything ready, stick The Work in there, flee like hell to the top corner because an explosion is definitely about to happen. Indeed a big explosion does happen, and then... uh... nothing? I'm trapped in a small triangle in the corner by some kind of barrier. I blow it up without killing myself thanks to explosion resistance and now there's a giant pile of gold and, uh, wait. Is everything gold? I don't get it. Where's the boss? I figure it must be up to me to dig my way out of here, so I spend about an hour blasting the hell out of everything and digging a long, huge crater and collecting about a million dollars before I give up and check the wiki and discover: that's it. I've beaten the game. But it doesn't tell me that, because I was supposed to die.

:doh:

Killing myself actually proved to be a hell of a challenge, between the resistances and Saving Grace + regen (tip: with auto-regen, Saving Grace makes you nearly invincible. Something has to damage you during the split-second window before your HP goes up to 2 to kill you.) Sawblades? Chucked 'em a couple stages back. Bombs? No good. No lava. Hmmmm.

I finally managed to successfully commit suicide by blasting my way straight down so as to bury myself in gold dust and suffocate before I could collect it all. That's right: I died by suffocating under a mountain of gold. Eat your fuckin' heart out, Scrooge McDuck :black101:

Game is fun as hell. I'm super filthy casual and will probably never play it without regen cheating (though I don't intend to take Saving Grace again as that just trivializes things too much), all the fun is in tinkering with wands and blowing everything (often including yourself) to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I suspect it's the combo of Saving Grace and the regen mod that screwed things up for you. The script for that area didn't anticipate that. I'm pretty sure that if you just have Saving Grace then things proceed as intended, because that'd be a, uh, significant oversight, otherwise.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can bug out the kill effect in a couple ways even without mods. Ambrosia for one, or say, having something like 20k hp and lively concoction.

If you have no other way to kill yourself you can always dig into where the cursed rock would be at the edge of the map.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I suspect it's the combo of Saving Grace and the regen mod that screwed things up for you. The script for that area didn't anticipate that. I'm pretty sure that if you just have Saving Grace then things proceed as intended, because that'd be a, uh, significant oversight, otherwise.

Yeah, with that I think I would have survived the blast anyway, but apparently it's possible with the fast movement perk to scoot up into the corner and get just outside the blast radius before it goes off, which is what I did (I took no damage and ended up trapped in a tiny spot on the top left of the room outside the huge circle afterward).

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you have Saving Grace and have visited enough parallel worlds and/or NG+ to get multiple copies of the Extra Life perk, you can legitimately survive The End because you'll get dropped to 1hp by the first tick, then die/revive, 1hp, die/revive, etc... until the effect times out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I thought the ending just turns you to gold and you just respawn (if you have one), not an explosion or anything

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 3, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Being turned into gold does about 12000 damage, apparently (and if I'm remembering right).

You can even get a portable version of the effect.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can also survive the ending's death effect if you're just fast enough to get away from it, or pre-dig a quick exit. It's doable in vanilla, though there's not much of a reason to do so I think.

Eric the Mauve posted:

So let me tell you about my latest Noita experience. I got it a couple weeks ago and, being Very Bad at it, have died a couple hundred times, usually hilariously, and probably still don't really understand how rods work. I am cheating with the auto-regen mod and set it to regen about 3HP a second. Fleeing to safety and standing around a minute or two to recover my health is boring and lame, you say? Yes, yes it is. But so is running the mines over and over and over. And over. And over.

I play with the regen mod sometimes as well, because the mines are extremely boring, especially given that said level also tends to spawn a few fixed (not good) wands and a much smaller handful of actual random things.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Gravity got a little broken.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Another new perk in beta. Overrides your kick button.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Gravity gun? :haw: That'll go real well with Trick Blood Money / Greed, assuming it still counts as """accidental""".

The Gold is Forever perk is pretty nice and really shows how much infighting there is that you just never get to see. The levitation trail perk also gives me some Vectorman vibes, though I wish it actually shot down as opposed to just staying in place.

alr
May 14, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

The levitation trail perk also gives me some Vectorman vibes, though I wish it actually shot down as opposed to just staying in place.

I was messing around with this the other day, I thought it was kind of passive without much use beyond helping clear smaller melee enemies away from you. Turns out it works with homing, goes through terrain, and gets boosts from berserkium, crit+, and I assume glass cannon. Was going great until I forgot about those revenge laser things that show up in the temple of the art and got melted instantly

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA0KaxBcPVc

groundbreaking

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:toot:

Poverty Cognac
Aug 2, 2014

now i can die even faster!!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Extremely high quality desktop cameo

A+

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

loving lord that wallpaper, folks after my own heart

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Trailer of the year award

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Everyone needs a folder named "Crap" to put all the stuff that was previously cluttering your desktop.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I played a few runs and OH GOD EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Noita official discord pinged everyone to let them know there would be a base price increase coming "sometime this summer".

The game is also currently on sale for 25% off. If you were holding off on it or know someone who may be into it, now is a good time to buy it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

bizarre chest right by starting ramp

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

resistentialism posted:

bizarre chest right by starting ramp

Ah yes, the "Do you want to live forever?" option

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Recent patches have made chests that drop 3 spells or 5 spells somewhat common, and since the beginning you've been able to find extremely rare chests that would drop a wand and another extra item*, but that's the first time I've ever seen a chest drop multiple wands.

Wand stats from chests are supposed to be based on the X/Y coordinates the wand spawns at rolled against the seed number, so that probably explains why it gave 3 nearly identical wands,

*(that could be almost anything in the game including stuff like lively concoction flasks or a health refresher from the holy mountain)

also:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Seems like a great want to take!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
80 hours logged, finally beat the game. My play style with games generally tends to be high-risk/high-reward, so this game is like a deadly siren's song for me. I probably could have beaten it in 1/10th of the time if I were just a little more careful, but hubris and... "science" always got the better of me.

Anyway, I made this cool wand!

And that wasn't even the one I used to kill the boss!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You beat the game on easy mode. Now those skills you cultivated doing weird poo poo will pay off as you grab orbs and poo poo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Devils Affricate posted:

From the most broken run I ever had:

Not bad for clearing rooms.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Devils Affricate posted:

80 hours logged, finally beat the game. My play style with games generally tends to be high-risk/high-reward, so this game is like a deadly siren's song for me. I probably could have beaten it in 1/10th of the time if I were just a little more careful, but hubris and... "science" always got the better of me.

And that wasn't even the one I used to kill the boss!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

From the most broken run I ever had:

Not bad for clearing rooms.

You can't just post this crazy poo poo and not post the wand builds, too.

Hint, hint.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Electric arc-> spread multicast-> bouncing ball+bouncing ball+bouncing ball...

Maybe instant death if you don't have explosion immunity.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Ambaire posted:

You can't just post this crazy poo poo and not post the wand builds, too.

Hint, hint.

resistentialism posted:

Electric arc-> spread multicast-> bouncing ball+bouncing ball+bouncing ball...

Maybe instant death if you don't have explosion immunity.

Yep! And it just so happens that I decided to take a screenshot at the time, after I noticed that the in-game gif recorder doesn't capture any of the UI.

As you can see, I had a few immunity perks...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm never careful enough so keep taking too much damage to really hunt for Max HP Pickups, or experiment too much and die in a dumb way.

I had fun in the base and underground jungle with a wand that water-trailed, dual-casted triple-bolts with always cast lighting on it while being Breathless and Electricity Immune. Then I tried to fight the dragon and it turns out swimming is not a good way to get out of his way.

Also: what the hell is Meat Of An Innocent Creature?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

As you can see, I had a few immunity perks...

Worth noting that you need explosion immunity to avoid killing yourself with electric arc. It doesn't actually do any form of electric damage despite what you would assume.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Worth noting that you need explosion immunity to avoid killing yourself with electric arc. It doesn't actually do any form of electric damage despite what you would assume.

Yes, this definitely killed me the first time I found the spell. Figured I could use it with impunity since I had the electricity perk, but nope.

That said, I think it still does some electric damage in the form of electrifying water and steel, not just when you shoot it but as a constant latent effect on the wand, so electricity/electric immunity is still important.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I want this on Switch

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I want this on Switch
Don’t old your breath. One of the guys did a GDC talk about the “falling everything” engine tech (which was super interesting if you’re into that sort of thing) and he said the Switch just doesn’t have the CPU oomph necessary for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Noita is almost all cpu based. Wonder if a port studio would be able to gpu accelerate some parts of the sim to make up for that