Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
he can't be a murderer either, some of his friends are alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The chief prosecutor apparently can't tell the difference between a crime being racially accentuated or racially motivated, but she claims it was neither.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

This is criminally stupid: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/regeringen-klar-med-nye-retningslinjer-coronasmittede-mink-skal-ikke-laengere

I hope WHO tells the government to forget about keeping those reservoirs around. It's pure insanity and will lead to sanctions when export markets find out about this.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Industrial mink farming kind of needs to go away in any case.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Groke posted:

Industrial mink farming kind of needs to go away in any case.

Yeah. gently caress that poo poo. Torturing and killing animals just so some fashionistas can get their pelts is barbarism

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

GyverMac posted:

Yeah. gently caress that poo poo. Torturing and killing animals just so some fashionistas can get their pelts is barbarism

Yeah, not going to happen: https://agricultureandfood.dk/danish-agriculture-and-food/mink-and-fur

At least until the Chinese stop buying Mink fur. I expect a Chinese import ban due to the outbreaks. 85% of the exports go to China - the remainder is mostly South Korea and Japan. The rest of the world has mostly banned imports.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Imagine being a mink/fox/bloody chinchilla skinner. I know everyone needs money, but you must have a seriously stunted capacity for compassion to have any part in this, buyer or producer, without being a shaking mess.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
SMDH, who'd want Danish mink fur that hasn't even been raised on a proper diet of whale meat like in Norway?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Imagine being a mink/fox/bloody chinchilla skinner. I know everyone needs money, but you must have a seriously stunted capacity for compassion to have any part in this, buyer or producer, without being a shaking mess.

Aren’t minks psychopathic killers in the same way as cats are?
The release of minks usually cause the local wildlife to take a hit due to this.
Also, do you eat veal or lamb?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Aren’t minks psychopathic killers in the same way as cats are?
The release of minks usually cause the local wildlife to take a hit due to this.
Also, do you eat veal or lamb?

Why would you release them? What are you talking about?

I eat fish and poultry, rarely minced meat, as locally as possible - but are we really going to take the ethical consumption talk?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's incredible that people haven't learned to socially distance themselves from Nils at this point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

It's incredible that people haven't learned to socially distance themselves from Nils at this point.
:thunk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

My guess is that if they have to close the mink farms they'll just let them all out rather than deal with the outrageous and unacceptable sin of having to pay money to dispose of them properly. Not like they would face any consequences and anyone who happily tortures animals for a living doesn't give a single poo poo about what happens to the environment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

THE BAR posted:

I heard there's some kind of weasel plantation somewhere up the road.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Poil posted:

My guess is that if they have to close the mink farms they'll just let them all out rather than deal with the outrageous and unacceptable sin of having to pay money to dispose of them properly. Not like they would face any consequences and anyone who happily tortures animals for a living doesn't give a single poo poo about what happens to the environment.

No, the farmer gets compensation if the mink are put down due to disease. Which is very likely the reason that government wants to stop putting them down due to Covid - the compensation is massive.

I think that the mention of release is a reference to the activists who have freed mink in the past due to protest and/or ethical concerns. I understand the desire to protest, but the ecological damage done when the mink are freed makes it an incredibly bad idea. They go on a murderous rampage and then starve to death. So there's no risk of wild mink becoming a permanent problem, but it's still a stupid thing to do. In the future such action will also come with the risk of infection and/or spreading infection to local wildlife.

I'm not opposed to animal husbandry, but I think the current conditions are appalling and unethical. If ethical treatment of mink makes it economically unfeasible to run a mink farm, so be it. I also think that allowing covid infection on farms is incredibly stupid and will lead to sanctions and demands by EU to change the practice. The Netherlands have put down every single infected mink - the dutch government will sure attempt to make the EU enforce equal measures for all member and associated countries (ie Norway).

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

PederP posted:

I think that the mention of release is a reference to the activists who have freed mink in the past due to protest and/or ethical concerns. I understand the desire to protest, but the ecological damage done when the mink are freed makes it an incredibly bad idea. They go on a murderous rampage and then starve to death. So there's no risk of wild mink becoming a permanent problem, but it's still a stupid thing to do.

I'm not sure what you mean, escaped and released minks have established themselves in basically all of sweden and is an invasive species. They definitely don't starve to death, the opposite really, they just kill every bird they. the government is actively trying to keep the population low by hunting.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Fader Movitz posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, escaped and released minks have established themselves in basically all of sweden and is an invasive species. They definitely don't starve to death, the opposite really, they just kill every bird they. the government is actively trying to keep the population low by hunting.

I stand corrected. You are right - some survived in Denmark too. I looked up the old newspaper articles, and back then it was reported they could and did not survive here. But it seems thousands of wild mink are killed and caught every year by hunters and officials.

Apparently a significant portion of the wild mink did not escape because of activists, but during regular farm activities. That's pretty horrific, because that means keeping infected mink alive at farms will lead to a permanent wildlife reservoir in the very immediate future. Ugh.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I was asking, because it felt like we were going to move the goalposts here. Releasing any kind of invasive animal or plant in large quantities is obviously a bad idea.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Minks are cute as hell though. Any chance they might wipe out inland seagulls?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

Minks are cute as hell though. Any chance they might wipe out inland seagulls?

No, they mostly completely murder species who build nests on the ground like the Black guillemot and Razorbill :(

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What if we genetically engineer a mink with bat wings?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

What if we genetically engineer a mink with bat wings?

This was how Birdemic started

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
We just need to import some Mink eating creature to solve this problem.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
deploy seagulls to combat the minks or vice versa. whoever loses, we win

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
There’s also the raccoon dog, from east Asia that the soviet introduced on purpose in a bunch of places for fur trapping/hunting, most introductions failed but it did well in the baltics where it now threatens local wildlife, and since spread to Finland and eastern/Central Europe. So far, incursions into northern Sweden have been limited with some success by directed hunting. Radio tagging castraded males is a good reverse honeypot to find them.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 8, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pig-human hybrid Martin Henriksen accused a named offical from the Immigration Service of disloyalty simply because she has dual citizenship. He is backed up by DF foreign affairs spokesman and member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Søren Espersen. He finds it hard to believe she could impartial in cases involving Afghan citizens.

Also Søren Espersen:

Togger
Jan 16, 2019
They are taking away eskimo-is, THIS IS FASCISM!?!!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Togger posted:

They are taking away eskimo-is, THIS IS FASCISM!?!!

Danes can't be assed to care about the lynching of a black man, but if a private company dares to voluntarily change the name of their own product it's literally white genocide.

Curiously nobody cared when ISIS changed their name to avoid associations with terrorism and genocide. Can't imagine why.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I just checked their website and it seems like at some point in the last couple of years Pizzabakeren changed its "hottentotten" pizza to the completely fine and not racist... hottentoppen?? That was a surprising item to find on the menu the first time I ordered pizza in Norway.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Danes can't be assed to care about the lynching of a black man, but if a private company dares to voluntarily change the name of their own product it's literally white genocide.

Curiously nobody cared when ISIS changed their name to avoid associations with terrorism and genocide. Can't imagine why.

I cared, cause EASIS is a loving terrible name.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I think we can safely assume that it's generally only a problem when people have to relinquish racist terminology, then we have endless hordes of reactionary boomers ready to go off.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Villa_hottentotta

:tugscollar:

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Pig-human hybrid Martin Henriksen accused a named offical from the Immigration Service of disloyalty simply because she has dual citizenship. He is backed up by DF foreign affairs spokesman and member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Søren Espersen. He finds it hard to believe she could impartial in cases involving Afghan citizens.

Also Søren Espersen:

Facebook took down Henriksen's post, and then immediately restored it, which the media took as an opportunity to offer Henriksen more airtime to soapbox about censorship and political correctness gone mad.

In other news, the Danish ruling class is showing solidarity with the rest of society during the epidemic, as a result of the unique Nordic model. The state is helping out the rich, spending billions in public aid keeping private businesses afloat. In an equal gesture of solidary for workers, the state is releasing frozen vacation pay, in an attempt to boost consumer spending. Since some welfare recipients don't have any frozen pay, all welfare recipients will receive a 1000 kr. check. Clearly we are in this together.

No, I'm just kidding. There is no transfer of wealth to the working class small enough not to whine about. Neoliberal think tank CEPOS immediately started agitating against this check. The thrust of their argument is hand wringing about the welfare recipients that do have frozen pay, and will receive the check as well.

Here's a thing CEPOS' chief economist said, out loud, where other people could hear him:

Understander of Keynesian Economics posted:

Der er næsten 700.000, som både får i pose og sæk
[...]
Hvis der også er højere ledighed til jul, kan jeg nemt forestille mig, at nogen vil udbetale en julecheck. Hvis der også er en højere ledighed til foråret, vil der være politikere, der vil udbetale en påskecheck. Det vil blive dyrt for skatteyderne.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Meanwhile, annual donations up to 16.600 kr. to CEPOS are tax deductible.

I hope they're all worked to death in a gulag after the revolution.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Cepos is the absolute worst. They’re also complete idiots, like actual morons. I’d recommend taking a look at some of their analyses for a laugh at how bad you can be at social science, philosophy and economic theory, while still being taken seriously. It’s amazing. Unfortunately, regardless of how stupid the cepos people are, turns out journalists are even stupider and take almost all they say at face value. The failing of journalists (in being able to call out these idiots) in Denmark is like 50% of the reason shits gotten so bad.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 19, 2020

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Journalists are extremely lazy and credulous. Articles will often consist of "CEPOS says X. We've asked a chud from K/LA/DF how they feel about X, and also a centrist from S. We've now heard both possible viewpoints on clearly true fact X. End article."

It's lovely that journalists will introduce them as an "independent liberal think tank", when their funding is not public. No one outside CEPOS knows who is funding them, so for all we know they could be the propaganda arm of e.g. Mærsk. When their CEO was asked about it a few years ago, he said their funders wish to remain anonymous, and that CEPOS would not be able to get funding if they were required to share their list of donors. It's incredible to me how such a quote is not the opening paragraph to any article covering them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

You just need to look at its founders to see why they're poo poo. (And lose all respect you might've had for Morten Grunwald and Bent Fabricius-Bjerre.)

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Morten Grunwald

Well poo poo :(

You're right, the list is full of "just asking questions" journos, CEOs, lobbyists and literal aristocrats https://www.cepos.dk/om-cepos/stiftere.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/jd6l8q/ola-wong-pratar-om-kampen-for-det-fria-ordet

Didn't listen to Ola Wong but this set off a bunch of red flags.

quote:

resan från diktaturens Kina till det han ser som likriktning i svensk media
Ok...

quote:

Här i Sverige talades det varken om att invandring mest bestod av unga män, jämlikhetsräkning i artiklar eller att klimatdebatten delvis var navelskådande, menar han.

Very true, except for daily stories and countless opinion pieces in all major newspapers nobody ever talked about immigration. And "delvis navelskådande" sure sounds as vague as possible. Wonder why?

quote:

2015 gick han in i väggen efter att ha kämpat förgäves för att få gehör för skillnaden mellan verkligheten och den offentliga sanningen, då om invandring.

Ah, 2015! Back when only the bravest of truth tellers would dare mention the "real" problems with those darn immigrants. And looking at his CV on his own site it's not like his was fired or suffered any professional consequence for his views. I'm sure he's doing important journalism now.

quote:

Sedan 2019 är Wong istället kulturredaktör på nättidskriften Kvartal

Not ringing a bell, but I'm sure it's a fine publication. Let's just take a big swig of this glass of water and look it up on wikipedia...

quote:

Tidskriften Kvartal har publicerat essäer av en rad namnkunniga skribenter såsom Ann-Charlotte Marteus, Malcom Kyeyune, Mikael Sandström, Torbjörn Tännsjö, Hans Bergström, Per Brinkemo och Kjell-Olof Feldt.

loving LOL! loving Tinzkorg from the old days of LF. The man who always felt that every dumb culture war issue du jour in Sweden or abroad was the only thing holding back the left. That kind of guy always argues in good faith! I'm sure he's fighting for the working class at this very moment!

quote:

Han ingår sedan 2020 i förtroenderådet för den konservativa tankesmedjan Oikos.

quote:

Oikos (från forngrekiskans oikos) är en konservativ tankesmedja som kommer att startas 2020 av Mattias Karlsson, tidigare gruppledare i riksdagen för riksdagspartiet Sverigedemokraterna.

quote:

I samband med Kyeyunes deltagande i Oikos har han omnämnts som konservativ. Själv beskriver han sig som kommunist och marxist. Han har förespråkat populism som politisk doktrin, vilket han definierar som att "satsa sina pengar på att det går att lämna politiska avgöranden till vanligt folk".

Jesus christ. I met the guy once like ten years ago and I see that my impression of him as one of the stupidest men I've ever encountered was 100% correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tinkzorg basically got cancelled and ended up going to the hard right to keep working as a writer from what i understood of that fiasco

that's funny because it's one of his big bones with the commentariat at large, but it's also a little sad