Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

The_Doctor posted:

I can just make out someone saying 'This is the man called X', which coincidentally is the name of a radio serial from the 40s/50s, and a TV series in the 50s. Episodes are available to listen here.

Thanks, that's gotta be it. I haven't listened to any yet but ep. 3 is called "The Girl Who Couldn't Remember" and the track I posted is called "Who Couldn't Remember".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I saw a parts (the end, mostly) of a movie like 10 years ago and now I am ripping my hair out trying to remember more about it.

There is an insane shootout occuring in a hotel or office complex type building, with, like, hordes of dudes running down the halls, and a sniper across the block using some huge weapon to punch holes in everything. The fighting and shooting were very choreographed. Vaguely superhero-esque?

The thing that may, hopefully, be a clear enough memory, is how it ends. One of the main characters (protagonist?) has penetrated the compound / building to the point that he is able to access a sealed ICU type chamber that has someone in it on life support. He locks the doors behind him, and as the room behind him is breached, he starts removing the person's life support. They die, and he calmly takes the magazine out of his gun, works the action to empty it, and then sets the gun down on the floor in front of him and sits crosslegged waiting for the authorities to break through into the room, now that he has killed the person he's trying to kill. In my head this person was played by someone who looks vaguely like Hugh Jackman.

Any ideas?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 16, 2020

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I saw a parts (the end, mostly) of a movie like 10 years ago and now I am ripping my hair out trying to remember more about it.

There is an insane shootout occuring in a hotel or office complex type building, with, like, hordes of dudes running down the halls, and a sniper across the block using some huge weapon to punch holes in everything. The fighting and shooting were very choreographed. Vaguely superhero-esque?

The thing that may, hopefully, be a clear enough memory, is how it ends. One of the main characters (protagonist?) has penetrated the compound / building to the point that he is able to access a sealed ICU type chamber that has someone in it on life support. He locks the doors behind him, and as the room behind him is breached, he starts removing the person's life support. They die, and he calmly takes the magazine out of his gun, works the action to empty it, and then sets the gun down on the floor in front of him and sits crosslegged waiting for the authorities to break through into the room, now that he has killed the person he's trying to kill. In my head this person was played by someone who looks vaguely like Hugh Jackman.

Any ideas?

Pretty sure this Smoking Aces.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

BrownPepper posted:

Pretty sure this Smoking Aces.

you're correct and super fast, thanks! I think I need to rewatch this even though I know how it ends.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

I mean, did you try googling it? Because thats all I did to find "the gay and wonderous life of caleb gallo". The set up and line are at about 1:08 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhcRKsRwFM

Lol, “I’m feeling good, I’ve had eight glasses of wine.”

That was a good clip. Now I want to see the movie.

Edit: Oh. Television show.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Posting here because there's no TVIV equivalent as far as I can tell:

Looking for a comedy sketch that parodied the Dog's Journey scandal, where a movie director on a talk show keeps showing clips where a dog dies, followed by an In Memoriam card. Pretty sure it was Kenan Thompson and on SNL but Google is completely failing me

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Looking for a vaguely anarchic parody comedy from the 80’s about a high-school reunion menaced by a serial killer. Had a kind of ‘Porky’s’ vibe to it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The go-to school slasher parody is Cutting Class but I don't think it's a reunion. But all of the actors are old playing as kids so maybe it might still work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iQi-2ZL9w

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ape Agitator posted:

The go-to school slasher parody is Cutting Class but I don't think it's a reunion. But all of the actors are old playing as kids so maybe it might still work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iQi-2ZL9w

I don’t think this is it. This looks too late in the 80’s and not zany enough to me. The movie I’m thinking of has some slapstick elements to it, and is definitely more of a comedy, almost National Lampoon style.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I don't think it has a class reunion, but maybe Student Bodies? It's pretty goofy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Torquemada posted:

Looking for a vaguely anarchic parody comedy from the 80’s about a high-school reunion menaced by a serial killer. Had a kind of ‘Porky’s’ vibe to it.

National Lampoon's Class Reunion

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Q3fWpsfBg

Slaughter High?
Not much of a comedy but fits the rest.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Torquemada posted:

Wacko?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Davros1 posted:

National Lampoon's Class Reunion

Bingo! (I even said NL and forgot they even made this one, d’oh)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Sir Nose posted:

I don't think it has a class reunion, but maybe Student Bodies? It's pretty goofy.

Good one. Even though it's not it, Student Bodies was the movie I was thinking I was suggesting when I suggested Cutting Class. It's so much more goofy than Cutting Class, : )

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is that the one with one of the deaths being bludgeoned with a wooden hobby horse head?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m thinking of a movie where something (electrical?) happens in the main plot that causes a feedback of some sort. It cuts to two teen girls in their bedroom watching mtv (the mtv spaceman to be more specific) and the tv explodes because of the feedback, one of the girls (possibly an uncredited Sara Gilbert?) says “awesome!” after the tv explodes.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I’m thinking of a movie where something (electrical?) happens in the main plot that causes a feedback of some sort. It cuts to two teen girls in their bedroom watching mtv (the mtv spaceman to be more specific) and the tv explodes because of the feedback, one of the girls (possibly an uncredited Sara Gilbert?) says “awesome!” after the tv explodes.

Spies Like Us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raWZraPHLqM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

In the novelization they say "Wow" :eng101:

I have no idea why I own the Spies Like Us novelisation but there you go

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So cool!

Immediately curious to know how much of the dialogue is improvised. When he's forming the circuit bridge, "things that are round, things that are square, things that are being electrocuted" was one of those movie quotes that worked into day to day language whenever someone couldn't remember a word. Did they write that or was it improv?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Everyone should check out this Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/tied_in_film

Posts various movie novelizations from over the years.

https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1264226375700869121?s=20
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1264609791541825536?s=20
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1270743451760357376?s=20
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1271530469096472576?s=20

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just have this one:

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I have two different novelizations of Capricorn One. Found them in the same used book store a couple of weeks after seeing the movie and I was assuming that one was the book the movie was based on and the other was a novelization. But nope. Both were published as tie-ins for the film; they just put one out in the US and another in the UK for some reason.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Davros1 posted:

Everyone should check out this Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/tied_in_film

Posts various movie novelizations from over the years.

https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1264226375700869121?s=20

And now we turn to the Alan Dean Foster Annex, it has 4 floors and celebrates only a fraction of his work...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just looked up what's available on the online used bookseller I use. Should I buy the Phase IV novelization??

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Do it, and do a Let's Read.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a Liquid Sky novelization written by the screenwriter for $20 :stare:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I have the novelization for John Carpenter's the Thing.

Which is weird because it's a book written from a screenplay that's a remake of a movie that's written from a novella.

Layers man.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

feedmyleg posted:

Just looked up what's available on the online used bookseller I use. Should I buy the Phase IV novelization??

Is that the Malzberg one? Could be interestingly weird...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thank ya sir!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Theres a dude on youtube called 80s slasher librarian who reads novelizations of friday the 13th movies, I think he does original 80s novels too. Can he good for background noise while you play video games

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuURU23bMiyKVgZkc8tWOHw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ape Agitator posted:

So cool!

Immediately curious to know how much of the dialogue is improvised. When he's forming the circuit bridge, "things that are round, things that are square, things that are being electrocuted" was one of those movie quotes that worked into day to day language whenever someone couldn't remember a word. Did they write that or was it improv?

:cheersbird:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

deety posted:

I have two different novelizations of Capricorn One. Found them in the same used book store a couple of weeks after seeing the movie and I was assuming that one was the book the movie was based on and the other was a novelization. But nope. Both were published as tie-ins for the film; they just put one out in the US and another in the UK for some reason.

Nice timing
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1280161716081266688?s=20

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

:h:

An awesome mix of writing and improv! Thanks!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
That guy has GORE VIDALS'S CALIGULA on his bookshelf and he chooses to display... Capricorn One?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

That guy has GORE VIDALS'S CALIGULA on his bookshelf and he chooses to display... Capricorn One?

You would have him display GORE VIDALS'S CALIGULA over something called CARQUAKE?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

GORE VIDAL'S CALIGULA by William Howard lol

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Power of Pecota posted:

Watching Pierrot le Fou today Anna Karina's hand mirror in a stuffed dog gave me intense deja vu of another similarly regarded movie (maybe even another early Godard) where a main character had a purse that looked like a duck (or a bird, or something similar) - if I'm remembering correctly in that one there's no attention drawn to it.

This is my own from months ago, but I think this had to be Shirley MacLaine's bunny purse in Some Came Running

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
This is kind of a long shot, but I'm looking for a movie a friend of mine watched some years ago that she doesn't remember super well. She says it's a Japanese coming-of-age movie that followed the story of 6 young people, some guys, some girls. She thinks it's from the 90s and she remembers there's a beach on the poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Was reminiscing with a mate about lovely action films we watched as teenagers and need help identifying two based on henchman dialogue.

Film 1: There's two henchmen, something happens and one says "poo poo!" the other says "gently caress!" and then they both say "shitfuck!" in unison. I want to say this was a Cynthia Rothrock film for some reason.
Film 2: A henchman responds to something unfortunate happening with "poo poo on me!".

Can't remember anything else and they might be the same film for all I know, we just remember everyone in school quoting the gently caress out of those lines :v: