Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Looks like travel times are getting even worse. And I thought 20 minutes to get to a moon was bad...

[Taxxe edit-]
https://i.imgur.com/ZLo9xDh.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

A total of 5 million copies in a 30 day period at $40 each? 200 million dollars? For 5 hours of quasi game content plus additional planet-side thumb up butt zones 're-playable' like existing PTU planet-side bilge?

Who's gonna buy this? People who already own SQ86? I'm guessing the vast majority of those will be expecting a 'free' copy.

Star Wars fans? Who among them won't take that $40 and buy Squadrons instead?

Flight sim fans? Why wouldn't Xbox and PC players play the new MS Flight Simulator instead? Sorry PS fans.

And what do we suppose every single critic of CR and CI never G will say when "The Great Vision" turns out to be maybe 30 minutes of anything at all that's worth a poo poo, 3 to 4 hours of abysmally produced worst performances dragged out of actors we will never look at the same way again, and day of patches and every day after day of patches because our fans are the very best testers that none wages can buy, and at CI never G we will accept nothing less.

Those critics are gonna say "Friends don't let friends support this poop even one more loving day."

Free Brian Chambers!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is pretty impressive.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Wait wait—is squelude not S42? Like everyone already owns S42, so is squelude supposed to be some other thing that people must buy? Don’t all the backers just get it for free?

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Yes, service guarantees citizenship. The 1 million/ 48 hour figure makes total sense because people will have to buy it again to replay the story, remember?

To be fair to CIG, I don't think they ever said that, it was just the delusional rant of one of their backers. To be more fair to CIG, they totally encourage this dreaming, so :shrug:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

The name "Re verse the verse" pisses me off

at least it's given us quality parody names like Coerce the Purse and a Reverse the hearse

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

"Struck down tyrannical regimes"? "Acceptance, inclusion, and understanding"? Imperator literally means emperor, the government is constantly shown as a fascist military oligarchy/corporatocracy that exists purely to fight wars. Unless this is some very very dry attempt at Verhoeven-esque satire (lol)

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Solarin posted:

at least it's given us quality parody names like Coerce the Purse and a Reverse the hearse

see you in the 'hearse, commando

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dynastocles posted:

"Struck down tyrannical regimes"? "Acceptance, inclusion, and understanding"? Imperator literally means emperor, the government is constantly shown as a fascist military oligarchy/corporatocracy that exists purely to fight wars. Unless this is some very very dry attempt at Verhoeven-esque satire (lol)
You know how there's people who read satire and don't get it at all? It's like that, except in reverse.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dynastocles posted:

The real answer is that CIG’s lore is hilariously dumb and incoherent. But here they’ve unintentionally stumbled on some great Verhoeven parody. Corporations today adopt all of the superficialities of social justice, (rainbow avatars for their Twitter accounts, trite boilerplate commercials about “inclusion”, endless meaningless hashtags like #BLM etc...), because it gives them a convenient veneer of morality as they shamelessly exploit all of us.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Danknificent posted:

Wait wait—is squelude not S42? Like everyone already owns S42, so is squelude supposed to be some other thing that people must buy? Don’t all the backers just get it for free?

Yes, the backers all have it for free, but you see COD sells millions of units so if they do COD they will sell like COD to new players who have never heard of SC.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

quote:

Yet another next-gen console rumor: "Expect the announcement for multiple platforms." (this is the Nth loving time I've heard this lol)
quarterly updates to investors re: SQ42 have stalled, last update was early Q1
these are supposed to include gameplay, cutscene and progress updates for the 2020 launch
"soft-launch" or SQ42 prelude contains three to four hours of linear gameplay with an additional two hours of cutscenes, with some repeatable content across "open-world" planets
this was meant to test the console waters at a lower price point ($39.99) with additional chapters and the full game offered at a discount after the first buy-in (when released)

I cannot see how it can pass Microsoft/Sony QA. If it is really released during my lifetime (on consoles), I will buy it on ps4/ps5, and post impression for all of you.
Alternatively I can upload image of me throwing 40 Euros to toilet and flushing it away.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i feel like as long as your game isnt actively destroying the console then it will pass cert. path of exile on ps4 has been in a constant state of barely playable ever since it launched.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Awesome! posted:

i feel like as long as your game isnt actively destroying the console then it will pass cert. path of exile on ps4 has been in a constant state of barely playable ever since it launched.

Yeah Sony especially is notorious for accepting ports of terrible Steam asset flip/shovelware games that barely even function. Life of Black Tiger is an infamous example.

Their only criteria seems to be that the game will boot up and not brick the entire console, but even that’s questionable after Fallout 76.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

colonelwest posted:

Yeah Sony especially is notorious for accepting ports of terrible Steam asset flip/shovelware games that barely even function. Life of Black Tiger is an infamous example.

Their only criteria seems to be that the game will boot up and not brick the entire console, but even that’s questionable after Fallout 76.

I mean SQ 42 on consoles, is Anthem on steroid disaster waiting to happen , with CIG style of programming.

I cannot see it happening. And I really dont know how to delete USER folder on PS4.

Life of the Tiger is poo poo game, but it is working. I dont have this feeling from any part of Star Citizen.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

TheAgent posted:

hello
[*]new investor buy in Q2 this year, NOT Calders supposedly

Mystery of the funding tracker explosion solved.

By why is CIG seeking out more investors? Calder money not enough? I know more money beats less money, but investors expect a return on their investment. It's not FREE money. COVID-19 hitting them in the wallet? Whales starting to dry up? I remember reading on the refund reddit folks are only getting 50 cents on the dollar on the gray market these days.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 9, 2020

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
We just need one person to buy the Squalude and post the entire long-play walkthru on Youtube. Bonus points if they're drunk during the whole video.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

If even a quarter of this is true Chris must be a sweat fountain right now

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
And dehydration is no laughing matter. It perma-killed this guy:

WATER LEVER INCREASE

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- spawn in new game
- water level is 29%, go to drink water
- Water level does not go up after consuming several bottles of water
- cannot respawn due to infinite Port Olisar, Port Tressler Black Screen, Never respawn
- die after water level is 0% and cannot continue any gameplay afterwards

ACTUAL RESULT

Die and can no longer respawn in game withour dying every new server launch with 0% water level

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Now see, that crazy level of funding we saw during invictus week would have made sense if they'd done that. Makes me wonder if the numbers were fake and someone just forgot to change it after the ToW and 4.0 plans were scrapped...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I like this.

Whither turbulent?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dynastocles posted:

In the Roman Republic it meant something like "one who commands" and was an accolade that a general would need to get from the troops in order to be allowed a Triumph! That Caesar notably got awarded the title a few times, but there's a lot of finnicky politicking with some of those awards. It did become associated much more closely with the emperor after the Roman Empire was established, but still! :hist101:

e: a Triumph being a big parade and the one time that soldiers were allowed to actually be soldiers in Rome instead of becoming civilians the moment they crossed the border. So generals get to show off, the soldiers party, and the whole military unit doesn't dissolve because you stepped across a culturally significant line.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 9, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

Rehearse the merch.

Gotta say that the idea that they’d have another round of investment is one I’ve been waiting for, because they lowballed with Calders. Thing is they need another similar injection and that board is getting crowded.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

L. Ron Hoover posted:

You're right, I made the mistake of saying "release". Should've said promise of a release.

Especially when the last I saw of the Vanduul, they were literally showing a test room for textures :lol:

I think the last thing they showed related to any of the aliens was recent concept art of a ship shooting another ship, going something like this is how we think it could look

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • work from home has been a "huge hurdle" to overcome, per half a dozen different people
  • problems with security and remote access to work stations continue to be an issue
  • "There's days when (VPN/servers) are down two, three, four hours."
  • some feel the initial response to CV19 was poor due to crunch-like mentality
  • "You come in. You're sick, it's what you do, not a big deal."
  • "People were still coming in to work, sick, or knowing someone that was ill."
  • some communication from upper management/executives now almost non-existent
  • guidance on tasks and workflow left up to non-management, depending on department
  • several German/UK employees have left to positions elsewhere, outside of gaming
  • Turbulent helping with Theaters of War/SQ42, additional coding help with SC in-game events and cinematics
  • new investor buy in Q2 this year, NOT Calders supposedly
  • "Nothing runs like we have all this money."
  • Invictus Launch Week was supposed to coincide with the release of Theaters of War and 4.0
  • variables that determine new flight mechanics have to be adjusted on a per ship basis
  • "We are moving away from that system in the near future, thankfully."
  • Yet another next-gen console rumor: "Expect the announcement for multiple platforms." (this is the Nth loving time I've heard this lol)
  • quarterly updates to investors re: SQ42 have stalled, last update was early Q1
  • these are supposed to include gameplay, cutscene and progress updates for the 2020 launch
  • "soft-launch" or SQ42 prelude contains three to four hours of linear gameplay with an additional two hours of cutscenes, with some repeatable content across "open-world" planets
  • this was meant to test the console waters at a lower price point ($39.99) with additional chapters and the full game offered at a discount after the first buy-in (when released)
  • target is one million sold in first 48 hours, additional four million sold within 30 days, digital sales only

Spicy !!!

New investors are letting Calders cash out maybe ?

They are developing cutting edge sever meshing tech for their universe size simulation ... but cant get a VPN to work?

I don't know how you manage to stall on quarterly updates when all you all you do is run projects

lol at their sales target .... its exactly the same target i have for my first novel that i have not started writing yet. I think i have more chance hitting my target because i have not demonstrated my incompetence yet and haven't sold pre orders for millions of copies.

so what $40 dollars for the demo and another $15 for the whole thing ?

and two hours of cut scenes ... dude ... Its more cut scenes than game.

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 9, 2020

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • target is one million sold in first 48 hours, additional four million sold within 30 days, digital sales only

Wikipedia: “Game director Daniel Vávra stated that the game sold 500,000 copies during its first two days, of which 300,000 were on Steam.”

Chris: “Take whatever Kingdom Come did in the first 48 hours and double it.”

Wikipedia: “Within two weeks of release, the game sold over a million copies in total across all platforms. A year after its release the game had sold over 2 million copies.

Chris: “:same: Double it.”

Man, this Squadron prelude rumor is the thing that will not die. The Agent talking about it for years. Seems like even Eightace or NineAce was talking about it back when he/she/they were dropping scoops.

But charging $40 for it? Really?

Gamespot: “If you're planning to pre-order Star Wars: Squadrons elsewhere, it'll cost you $40. Pre-order links are starting to go live now, and we'll continue updating this story as the game appears in more storefronts.”

Chris: “:same:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Squadron 42, the game all the backers have already paid for and most of the backers don't give a poo poo about, will sell 4 million units in the first month.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

Squadron 42, the game all the backers have already paid for and most of the backers don't give a poo poo about, will sell 4 million units in the first month.

Nope.

I can see it now.

"Squelude is free to Concierge and Subscribers (Subscribers must have concurrent and continuous 3 billing cycles to qualify)."

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Maybe Chris will make it so that buying S54 gives people exclusive access to a demo for the next Star Wars game.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Will they launch before Star Wars : Squardrons?

Like what they've always done to one up Elite Dangerous back in the day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG is the new Herbalife. Everyone knows it's a scam but investors just keep buying in cause hey, it hasn't crashed yet might as well get some of this free money.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

CIG is the new Herbalife. Everyone knows it's a scam but investors just keep buying in cause hey, it hasn't crashed yet might as well get some of this free money.

Irony is that I know friends who started a Herbalife cafe, the wife is sick looking that I feel disgusted. Not sure what are in the shakes, but them setting up shop beside a gym is milking it like Star Citizr.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nicholas posted:

Maybe Chris will make it so that buying S54 gives people exclusive access to a demo for the next Star Wars game.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

cmdrk posted:

I'm no John Videogames, but I'd love to do some packet/network analysis of SC to see just how bad it is. I think what you _could_ learn is things like:
- just how hosed is their wire protocol? I assume they either completely reimplemented TCP from scratch but with FIDELITY or they've purchased some really miserable JSON RPC middleware for it. or both. or its just generic cryengine networking with absolutely nothing done to it and server meshing and uint42 is a scam (surprise!)
- how much information is leaked to the client? again I assume there is MUCH extraneous fidelitous information sent to the client that someone could use to get the very personal inner feelings about the T-posed AI bartender standing on the bench over there.
- how many servers are they actually running? given some of the CIG's comments about AWS/EC2 from earlier in the thread, i'd be really surprised if they've actually tried to scale anything. my guess is everything jammed into is ONE BIG rear end X1 instance with no firewall whatsoever.

okay i'm interested. what's the bare rear end minimum i need to pay for a greymarket game account?

This gives you an idea of how bad it is, the videos are old but they have done zero updates besides increasing the player count
an initial look youtube.com/watch?v=akwVVi6weKQ
And an update when there were more locataions added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kP2ek_L8Yk

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
After being over a hundred pages behind.

Just in time to get the latest hello. Was worried for a while that everything would disappear, then it didn't. Or at least, it hasn't yet. I'm glad of it.

Looks like Phone EVE is coming out soon so I'll probably be stupid and play that. Star Wars probably not, but maybe.

Has anyone gone in and tried to talk to folks from the perspective of "Yes I really like E:D but I also like SC!" Seems like you can like one hate the other, or think both are bad, but I don't recall seeing anyone trying to say they like them both. Feels like it would confuse folks and I'd like to see the reactions. Not enough to try it myself though because I've never played E:D and lol pretending to like SC.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

CubicalSucrose posted:

After being over a hundred pages behind.

Just in time to get the latest hello. Was worried for a while that everything would disappear, then it didn't. Or at least, it hasn't yet. I'm glad of it.

Looks like Phone EVE is coming out soon so I'll probably be stupid and play that. Star Wars probably not, but maybe.

Has anyone gone in and tried to talk to folks from the perspective of "Yes I really like E:D but I also like SC!" Seems like you can like one hate the other, or think both are bad, but I don't recall seeing anyone trying to say they like them both. Feels like it would confuse folks and I'd like to see the reactions. Not enough to try it myself though because I've never played E:D and lol pretending to like SC.

I don't know, man, it seems like most of the fun has been wrung out of this. Engaging with the backers at this point is like going to a mental health clinic to point and laugh at the patients. I'm convinced that the most recent investors realized that Chris has a preternatural ability to gently caress things up hilariously every time his mouth opens, so they have him on ice. Sandi stole the money and whatever dregs of influence she needed to make "movies" and make sure to foist her desires and insecurities onto her children, as all good parents do. Seems there's little more to do here than to wait outside the castle for the lightning to strike and see what manner of animated monstrosity comes shambling out.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more we reached the point where CIG is bursting at the seams attempting to maintain the lie that it's not behind schedule. It's like one of those weird over-inflated steel balloons that has a pocket bulge or seven expand out from the shell, but over the sounds of cheers and flag waving there are strange muffled noises from inside it are indicative that something not good is happening.

Then it will happen, the noises will stop, for two or three days.

And then it will really happen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
People keep saying that and it keeps not happening. I feel like the grift is going to continue for a while, regardless of common sense

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

People keep saying that and it keeps not happening. I feel like the grift is going to continue for a while, regardless of common sense

You're not wrong, we are in the undiscovered country of sunk cost fallacy.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
90 quarters, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I think it feels weak at the moment because, for whatever reasons, CIG has stopped CIGing for now. We're not getting an insane new promise every other day. There's nothing to reignite the comedy like land claims or The Ramp or a $27000 ship package. The streamer ad campaign seems to have died as well, so there's no more daily rants about how it's not a scam. Maybe having real guys with real money who can put real pressure on them have stopped the funny. This makes the cult less funny as well since they can't wrap dreams.txt around anything new.

Truly the worst thing for Star Citizen is that the crobbler stopped talking about it. :(