Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What did you say?, on Flickr

I really like this one because he's like "the gently caress you say about me?"

Edit: oh poo poo new page. I think this is a Chipping Sparrow, unless anyone knows better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
new poo poo new poo poo new poo poo

DSC02810 by J, on Flickr

DSC02695 by J, on Flickr

DSC02608 by J, on Flickr

DSC02373 by J, on Flickr

DSC02039 by J, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

runaway pancake posted:

DSC02810 by J, on Flickr

DSC02695 by J, on Flickr

DSC02608 by J, on Flickr

DSC02373 by J, on Flickr

DSC02039 by J, on Flickr

Wow, all of those are great

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

runaway pancake posted:

DSC02810 by J, on Flickr

DSC02695 by J, on Flickr

DSC02608 by J, on Flickr

DSC02373 by J, on Flickr

DSC02039 by J, on Flickr

Nice. I want the back story on the squirrel.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

That squirrel bold af.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Fart Amplifier posted:

Wow, all of those are great

torgeaux posted:

Nice. I want the back story on the squirrel.

Thanks sirs/mams. I was watching that osprey sit on top of the tower for about 20 minutes when this squirrel popped into view. It climbed up the tower and I guess it didn't see the osprey until it got right up on it. The squirrel freaked out and decided to hang there playing dead? The osprey was not fooled. I know they mostly eat fish but it didn't even try to go for the squirrel, which was surprising. Maybe they're friends now

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Strong renaissance painting vibes in the composure here. Love it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

E: UK Collared Dove

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 9, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Lots of focal length is much harder to use well than I anticipated.

Kestrel Hover by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Kestrel with kill by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I got out for the first time in a while:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Zero One posted:

I got out for the first time in a while:

Which zoo is this?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Lots of focal length is much harder to use well than I anticipated.

These are amazing.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Tui

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 12, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

XBenedict posted:

These are amazing.

Thanks

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

XBenedict posted:

Which zoo is this?

Disney World

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Terns are so graceful, even if I can't be sure of the ID between Arctic and Common.

Tern by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Tern #2 by Aves Lux, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

jarlywarly posted:

Terns are so graceful, even if I can't be sure of the ID between Arctic and Common.

Tern by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Tern #2 by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Same bird in both photos? The narrow black on the trailing edge of the outer wing, and the darker red on the bill would indicate Arctic Tern. I'm just going off the Collins Guide though, I don't have a lot of experience with those species in North America, much less Europe.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Same bird in both photos? The narrow black on the trailing edge of the outer wing, and the darker red on the bill would indicate Arctic Tern. I'm just going off the Collins Guide though, I don't have a lot of experience with those species in North America, much less Europe.

Yeah same bird, I tracked it I'm thinking Arctic as well.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
It's tough when they're coming out of breeding plumage but I agree, probably Arctic. I think the bill would be heavier on a common, and common would usually have more dark on the upper wing surface somewhere. But I haven't had to deal with either of these for some time so that's just what I gleaned from some books.

No photos of my own to share, so enjoy:

a Bird and Moon tailored for this forum

Audubon Photo winners

and Top 100.

I messed up and didn't get my entry submitted in time this year. Hopefully there's a dorkroom member in there somewhere.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Moorehen (Gallinula chloropus) by Spookygonk, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It's tough when they're coming out of breeding plumage but I agree, probably Arctic. I think the bill would be heavier on a common, and common would usually have more dark on the upper wing surface somewhere. But I haven't had to deal with either of these for some time so that's just what I gleaned from some books.

No photos of my own to share, so enjoy:

Audubon Photo winners

I messed up and didn't get my entry submitted in time this year. Hopefully there's a dorkroom member in there somewhere.

Amateur winner: Canon EOS-1D X with Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM lens; 1/800 second at f/4.0; ISO 1600 okay mang.

How that hummingbird catching a raindrop didn't win the whole thing I have no idea, that shot is remarkable.

okay that Great Gray Owl looking at a weather is top notch as well.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 15, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Amateur winner: Canon EOS-1D X with Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM lens; 1/800 second at f/4.0; ISO 1600 okay mang.

How that hummingbird catching a raindrop didn't win the whole thing I have no idea, that shot is remarkable.

(cough) dentist (cough)

That hummingbird was shot less than an hour from where I live. There's a giant splashy fountain thats attracts a ton of bird photogs. Especially during fall migration there there will be a ton of people there. I've never been but I've seen crowd shots.

I'm more eye rolling about the sage-grouse. Granted its my fault that I didn't get an entry in this year, but now it's 2 years in a row I've got a virtually identical shot to one of the finalists.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

(cough) dentist (cough)

Close.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

(cough) dentist (cough)

That hummingbird was shot less than an hour from where I live. There's a giant splashy fountain thats attracts a ton of bird photogs. Especially during fall migration there there will be a ton of people there. I've never been but I've seen crowd shots.

I'm more eye rolling about the sage-grouse. Granted its my fault that I didn't get an entry in this year, but now it's 2 years in a row I've got a virtually identical shot to one of the finalists.

Yeah with these contest shots sometimes I get the feeling there's like 25 other people with 600mm's there when the shot is taken and it's just whomever gets the right frame.

That said I don't think I've ever got a bird shot I think is worth entering.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lol. For what it's worth, the pro category in this contest is based on photo income ($5k within the last year) and not the gear.

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah with these contest shots sometimes I get the feeling there's like 25 other people with 600mm's there when the shot is taken and it's just whomever gets the right frame.

That said I don't think I've ever got a bird shot I think is worth entering.

It's definitely a crap shoot. If you can get something cool and semi-original (i.e. not just "bird sitting on branch looking at you" or "soaring hawk") you have a chance. I got a top 100 last year and few years ago Internet Junky got one.

This contest is nice because the money goes to Audubon so I'm happy to lose $35 for the birds.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

(cough) dentist (cough)

Where is this fountain?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ardenwood Historic Farm in Fremont (Calif). Looks like its actually closed now for Covid.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Ardenwood Historic Farm in Fremont (Calif). Looks like its actually closed now for Covid.

Oh neat. I had wanted to get down to that area, but never knew about the historic farm.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Coyote Hills Regional Park is down there too and is another great place for birds (shorebirds, raptors...) I've only been there once or twice. Somehow it's just far enough for me not to be a spur of the moment trip, but not that much shorter than Point Reyes if I'm planning something. But they have Short-eared Owls there in the winter and that's something I'd really like a good photo of.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

lol. For what it's worth, the pro category in this contest is based on photo income ($5k within the last year) and not the gear.

It's definitely a crap shoot. If you can get something cool and semi-original (i.e. not just "bird sitting on branch looking at you" or "soaring hawk") you have a chance. I got a top 100 last year and few years ago Internet Junky got one.

This contest is nice because the money goes to Audubon so I'm happy to lose $35 for the birds.

Congrats! Man that's a dream to get a placing in Audubon.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
I took a walk through the woods yesterday to a lake to check out the birds but some kids were smoking weed in the hide so I walked back home the quick way by the farmers fields. Saw some swallows flying low over the fields catching insects. I tried to get some shots of them but failed miserably, my tracking skills aren't nearly good enough. So I moved on then spotted some young swallows sitting on a fence, the adults were catching flies then bringing them over to feed the young ones.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

(cough) dentist (cough)
I shoot with a 1DX and a 500mm f/4. My grand income from photography stands at $0 (net balance from photography: tens of thousands of losses). Dentist career status: negative.

One of the benefits of being a bachelor is being able to blow cash on gear instead of wives/children. That said, I did buy my lens second hand and the 1DX cheap when it was about to be replaced by the mkII.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

I shoot with a 1DX and a 500mm f/4. My grand income from photography stands at $0 (net balance from photography: tens of thousands of losses). Dentist career status: negative.

One of the benefits of being a bachelor is being able to blow cash on gear instead of wives/children. That said, I did buy my lens second hand and the 1DX cheap when it was about to be replaced by the mkII.

Do you hand hold the 500 f/4?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

jarlywarly posted:

Do you hand hold the 500 f/4?
Occasionally if the situation demands it. It's not too heavy that I can't get good pictures that way but it is heavy enough that after ten minutes it's becoming a workout not a photography session... Most of the time it's on a gimbal head.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well done! This is me too (no kids), except my gear is cheaper and I still have a negative balance. I was pretty close to even last year though.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Today was juvenile birds day.

The dipper is difficult bird to see and photograph it's a small bird that lives on faster flowing rivers, it's uncommon, dark and rivers are bad for light, this shot is not the best but I had to give back my rental 600mm f/4 so I'm back to 560mm f/8.

Juvenile Dipper by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Would you crop closer on this great tit juve? I kind of like the rule of thirds here with the branch and the direction of the birds gaze but there's detail most people won't see. Also the bird is so fluffy it almost looks like I've screwed up the aspect ratios.

Juvenile Great Tit by Aves Lux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

Today was juvenile birds day.

The dipper is difficult bird to see and photograph it's a small bird that lives on faster flowing rivers, it's uncommon, dark and rivers are bad for light, this shot is not the best but I had to give back my rental 600mm f/4 so I'm back to 560mm f/8.

Juvenile Dipper by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Would you crop closer on this great tit juve? I kind of like the rule of thirds here with the branch and the direction of the birds gaze but there's detail most people won't see. Also the bird is so fluffy it almost looks like I've screwed up the aspect ratios.

Juvenile Great Tit by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Crop is good. That tit pic is fantastic, leave it alone.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

torgeaux posted:

Crop is good. That tit pic is fantastic, leave it alone.

Thanks for commenting on my tit pic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

More tits please.