Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How does a complaint like that look?

Varies between "Man! I wish Matt had gotten [This Rule] right so it wouldn't have been so rough for the players." to "USE YOUR loving RACIAL ABILITY YOU loving IDIOT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How does a complaint like that look?

Well, actually...<insert pedantry about 5e's lovely rule system> so it was clearly a 35' sphere not a 30' sphere.

etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arthil posted:

Varies between "Man! I wish Matt had gotten [This Rule] right so it wouldn't have been so rough for the players." to "USE YOUR loving RACIAL ABILITY YOU loving IDIOT!"

The biggest recurring example I can think of was Laura constantly forgetting to use her Hunter's Mark when she was playing a Ranger.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 22, 2020

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The first type seems fine to me, the latter type seems like it should be leading people to be kicked out of whatever platform it is where they're expressing that (I'm assuming Twitch or Youtube?)

That can be difficult when, even with slow-mode enabled, the chat zooms by at about 50 messages a second.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The first type seems fine to me, the latter type seems like it should be leading people to be kicked out of whatever platform it is where they're expressing that (I'm assuming Twitch or Youtube?)

they do ban people from twitch chat, although like with all 100k plus streamers twitch chat moves stupidly fast and thus is worthless(twitch chat is p much worthless past like 500 viewers imo) to pay attention to.

Dunno about their Youtube comments. But I assume so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most Twitch streamers, especially high-volume ones, have mods.

I'm really confused, on the one hand this is a serious problem, on the other hand who cares chat goes over too fast it's not a problem?

Incorrect reading of that post. Two separate thought processes, probably should be made more clear.

1. They do ban people from Chat, I dunno if they delete and moderate YouTube comments as gently caress if I even pay close attention to them.

2. Me Editorializing: Once you have past like 500 users in a chat it p much becomes worthless to pay attention to as it's just generally a mess to try and parse and have any type of discussion.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I get that some people think that the system doesn't matter for APs like these, but all the evidence points against it. If you're going to start up an AP, it's pretty clear you've got a choice between "D&D or everything else" because the D&D AP viewers only watch D&D streams, at least according to the streamers. On top of that, TAZ clearly lost a chunk of audience as soon as Amnesty started, and it seemed to come back when they switched back to D&D with Graduation. You can point to differences in how Griffin ran things, and maybe that's true. But it really looks like viewers care more about system than you'd think, and social media algorithms are amplifying that effect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tibalt posted:

I get that some people think that the system doesn't matter for APs like these, but all the evidence points against it. If you're going to start up an AP, it's pretty clear you've got a choice between "D&D or everything else" because the D&D AP viewers only watch D&D streams, at least according to the streamers. On top of that, TAZ clearly lost a chunk of audience as soon as Amnesty started, and it seemed to come back when they switched back to D&D with Graduation. You can point to differences in how Griffin ran things, and maybe that's true. But it really looks like viewers care more about system than you'd think, and social media algorithms are amplifying that effect.

Yeah. Anyone advocating a switch from 5E as if it isn't a massive risk is either deluded or being disingenuous. People do not migrate from the 5E ecosystem. If you are a 5E AP streamer and swap to any other system, assume you are permanently losing half your audience at minimum. They will just watch a different 5E AP because they are there for the brand 5E more than they are there for an individual stream. If you are Streaming in the Time of the Coronavirus and hoping to support your friends and family, you are unlikely to take that risk on, currently, if ever.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

yea like obviously there will always be shitters but I have no idea where this idea the fanbase will revolt over leaving D&D comes from...

It's entirely possible dropping D&D for another system would have little or no impact on viewership, though TAZ's experience would suggest otherwise. But maybe things would be different for CR? It's difficult to know without taking the risk.

Matt Mercer isn't a millionaire. I mean, people know the CR folks didn't just pocket the money from the Kickstarter, right? Some CR people do more than VO work, but not all of them, and VO work pays poo poo. A couple years ago, Mercer was finally able to afford life insurance after doing without for about a decade, and was able to take care of some long festering health issues. As a Canadian I take health coverage for granted, but if I were an American in Mercer's shoes, I be justifiably terrified of losing it again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Dumnbunny posted:

It's entirely possible dropping D&D for another system would have little or no impact on viewership, though TAZ's experience would suggest otherwise. But maybe things would be different for CR? It's difficult to know without taking the risk.

Matt Mercer isn't a millionaire. I mean, people know the CR folks didn't just pocket the money from the Kickstarter, right? Some CR people do more than VO work, but not all of them, and VO work pays poo poo. A couple years ago, Mercer was finally able to afford life insurance after doing without for about a decade, and was able to take care of some long festering health issues. As a Canadian I take health coverage for granted, but if I were an American in Mercer's shoes, I be justifiably terrified of losing it again.

Hey, googling "how much is matt mercer worth" says he's worth $1 million and as the dumbest person alive I have to assume famouspeopletoday.com has all the deets.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If they are using Twitch then it's the difference between using the more popular Dungeons and Dragons category with 2.2k viewers currently, vs Tabletop RPGs which has 305 viewers (right now, probably varies), less than the Undertale category and a whole host of others.

I think CR could actually manage it. They ARE the D&D category when they're rolling out their show. You take all of the viewers from the D&D category, and the TTRPG category and combine them and you don't get even 1/4th of their average viewership for a live stream.

The above also is why I roll my eyes are chucklefucks calling Mercer a loving millionaire. If there was any part of that Kickstarter that went to any of the cast, it was to pay them fair wages for reprising their characters for the animated show, which I think is probably a hardcore requirement with the union VO's have. Rest of it went to paying the people to actually... y'know, make the cartoon.

As for googling what he's worth, well that's basically bullshit. What it means is the group collectively is worth MAYBE 1 million.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dumnbunny posted:

It would have a dramatic impact. Pre-stream they did Pathfinder system but dropped it for accessibility reasons and to the average individual D&D is all tabletop RPGs.

Not to mentuon their entire campaign now is reliant on D&D given their campaign book: https://www.booktopia.com.au/explor...L0aAkq4EALw_wcB

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Meanwhile, at Wizards:
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1280973004604755968
This is what they seem to have added waaaay at the end of the product description for Oriental Adventures, after the whole historical piece about some creative dispute:

It only took over a week for a book literally called "Oriental Adventures" that they're still selling in the year of our lord 2020 to get a small copy change. Thank god we have WotC leading the charge against racism in tabletop gaming.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I'm aware. The most common way I hear "copy" used is ad copy, so that's what I was referring to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

admanb posted:

It only took over a week for a book literally called "Oriental Adventures" that they're still selling in the year of our lord 2020 to get a small copy change. Thank god we have WotC leading the charge against racism in tabletop gaming.

And still for Pundit it is a BRIDGE TOO FAR SWINE.

https://twitter.com/danielhkwan/status/1280121811901038594

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Tibalt posted:

I'm sure they lost listeners, but they also choose the wrong system for Griffin, who apparently needs to have a big plotted ending for his games.

The smart move would have been handing Clint the DM chair. He has the most amount of time, the least amount of kids at home, the least amount of podcasts, and he did voice work for a living. Plus, the brothers could all use the improv work that they've practiced in the decade of MBMAM.

I have alternate head canon where Clint did this and we got seven years of My Brother, My Brother and Buffy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

admanb posted:

don't worry, that copy change also applies to a pack of battlemaps they sold in 2010 https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/152456/Haunted-Temples-Map-Pack-4e

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I actually don't have a concrete or cohesive answer to those questions, which is why I was only addressing Nessus being a huge prick for no reason towards someone being harassed for asking them. It's absolutely an issue that warrants further discussion, but Nessus being a passive agressive rear end while just asking questions isn't exactly a way to engender further discussion.

Oh yeah, I agree. I'd like to actually discuss how big actual play groups can shed lovely people and lovely games, because really I think that's going to come to a head sooner rather than later. Dungeons & Da Asians dropping D&D makes sense and I have to expect it's a debate a lot of other people are having in private, too. We're definitely hitting a watershed moment where D&D is being kicked in the rear end and told it needs to adapt quickly or die, and I'm curious if any of the steps it takes are going to be enough to bring about the necessary changes to the game and the community as a whole. Like cynically, I'd say probably not on the deep level it needs to be revised on, but I'm ready to see what they have to offer.

Speaking of...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website, does not reflect the values of the Dungeon & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial and gender prejudice that were commonplace in American society at that time. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. This content is presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength, and we strive to make our D&D products as welcoming and inclusive as possible. This part of our work will never end.

Come on WotC, you could at least write your own disclaimer instead of copying the Warner Brothers racial sensitivity warning nearly verbatim.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

don't worry, that copy change also applies to a pack of battlemaps they sold in 2010 https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/152456/Haunted-Temples-Map-Pack-4e

you may think that's silly but around page ten there's just a ruin that spells out the n-word :ohdear:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I can't even tell if you're joking with this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StratGoatCom posted:

I can't even tell if you're joking with this

ok yea that maybe was a little too close to some poo poo some idiot would pull...no there are no n-word ruins to the best of my knowledge. I don't own the book though sooooo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tbf It's probably a good idea to just put that on all Wizards releases because it's better odds than a coin flip if it applies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's just on all legacy content now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
weird how WOTC was perfectly willing to pull all their PDFs from DTRPG over piracy concerns, but they're just fine with continuing to make money from these

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Which version of OA are they using?

The 1st Ed AD&D? 2nd Ed’s FR tie in nonsense with not-Mongols invading the West? Or 3rd Ed’s take done by the LotFR devs?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

weird how WOTC was perfectly willing to pull all their PDFs from DTRPG over piracy concerns, but they're just fine with continuing to make money from these

Remember they also pulled someone's product for "provocative content" which turned out to be "gay content specifically" while leaving swathes of the usual bikini maiden/sexy concubine stuff up for sale.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Kai Tave posted:

Remember they also pulled someone's product for "provocative content" which turned out to be "gay content specifically" while leaving swathes of the usual bikini maiden/sexy concubine stuff up for sale.

Not just up for sale. That art is in Creator Art Packs that WotC has encouraged creators to use with DMs Guild products.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nystral posted:

The 1st Ed AD&D? 2nd Ed’s FR tie in nonsense with not-Mongols invading the West? Or 3rd Ed’s take done by the LotFR devs?

should be noted the 1st ed AD&D version is also an FR tie in - the OA rulebook has a followup box set and adventures that tie it directly to the FR. The Horde 2e stuff you're mentioning actually fills in the steppe/wastelands area in between.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nystral posted:

The AD&D 1e Oriental Adventures, the AD&D 2e Kara-Tur modules, and the 3.0 Oriental Adventures set in Rokugan all have the "legacy content" blurb.

I think they just put it on all of the old books, because a quick check of some random modules (Night's Dark Terror, 3e Arms and Equipment, 3.5e Dungeon Master's Guide) all have the warning.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Ahahaha, they don't actually want to draw attention to the ethnic, racial, and gender prejudice in their old poo poo, so they slapped the disclaimer on everything to be sure they weren't pinpointing their fuckups. Beautiful.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

...but Mearls is still employed, right?

Of loving course he is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.