Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lockback posted:

I *suspect* (though don't know) but I think Nvidia may start differing RTX and non-RTX models over time, though they don't have much reason to supplant the 1600 line right now.

I hadn't thought about them selling non-RTX models for Ampere. It makes sense from a price segmentation standpoint.
But they want to get buy-in for RTX in games so if they consign it to only mid/high-end cards, I can't imagine it getting much traction for another generation.

The RT benchmarks for the RTX3060 are going to be interesting.

lamo, the rumors about the SKUs are nuts

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1280862817671770113?s=20
https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1280884971406671872?s=20

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Man, with that chart the 3070 vs 3070Ti doesn't make a whole lot of sense. GDDR6X vs 6 might make some difference, but only 5% more cores? That's super low, considering the 1070 vs 1070Ti was 21% more cores and a clock bump.

And they'll absolutely be selling non-RTX parts, the question is how far down the stack that'll start. They'll at least have a RTX xx60 part, but whether they'll have a non-RTX xx60 part, and what the xx50 will look like will sure be interesting to see. They don't need to push RTX all the way down the stack to get adoption for RT stuff now that consoles are gonna be supporting it--adoption is coming regardless.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They are going to blanket every single price point with a part, because they will have no significant competition and the bean counters have determined they make more money that way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DrDork posted:

Yup, and those were baseline prices--plenty of "overclocked" models cost more than that. The original 2070 also launched at $500. The gulf between the two was part of the complaint against the 20-series being a "bad value," particularly at the high end.

Comparatively, the 1080's launch MSRP was $500 and the 1070 $380-$400, so the 20-series about doubled the price gap. Who knows if the 30-series will retain the $200 gap, or try to shrink it, or just retain the gap and shove a 3070Ti in there at $600 or something. However it works out, though, you'll never get the same price:perf ratio as you climb the stack: it gets worse the higher you go, and always has.

The 1080 launched at $599, it was the same price gap (though technically the 2000 series was a smaller uplift % wise.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-launch/

You could eventually find some 1080s for around $500, but that was a long ways after launch. The AIBs were all mostly around $600 too.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

:pray:

RTX2180Ti
RTX2180
RTX2170
RTX2160
GTX1860Ti
GTX1860
GTX1850

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

treasure bear posted:

GTX1860Ti
GTX1860
GTX1850

I could see this kind of thing happening for laptop parts.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

treasure bear posted:

:pray:

RTX2180Ti
RTX2180
RTX2170
RTX2160
GTX1860Ti
GTX1860
GTX1850

I could pick up a GTX1865 Sherman Edition.

I’ve heard they’re gonna run hot though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MX450 for laptops that is another rebadged GP108

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lockback posted:

The 1080 launched at $599, it was the same price gap (though technically the 2000 series was a smaller uplift % wise.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-launch/

You could eventually find some 1080s for around $500, but that was a long ways after launch. The AIBs were all mostly around $600 too.

1080 FE MSRP was $699 and most of the AIBs took their pricing cues from that. You actually couldn't find them under $750 for months after launch, nobody but EVGA even tried to release $600 cards (they had a basic card at $620 and out of all the cards it was the most impossible to find since it was the obvious value pick and everybody was gunning for it).

The analogous situation is the $999 2080 Ti. They were always tough to find but now they just don't exist, nobody is even trying to hit that MSRP target anymore, they are all FE plus $100-200 (i.e. $1300-1400).

People forget just how rough the 10-series launch was, prices were really high and you could not readily buy a 1080 until around october or november, nowadays it's held up as a model launch for some reason. 1070 tended to be a bit more available - not great but it was there if you watched NowInStock and didn't dawdle, it would go out in 15 minutes or a half hour. But NVIDIA seemed to have yield problems on the 1080 at launch, it would go days out of stock at a time and would vanish in literally a minute when it restocked. The volume was just not there.

1080s actually bottomed out a bit under $450 eventually, historical low was around $390 (a gigabyte windforce card iirc).

One of these days I really need to finish that project I started to try and extract pricing trendlines from r/buildapcsales data.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 9, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That was a weird period of time. I found it kind of surreal to watch the prices balloon to the point where I saw the 1060 6GB card I paid $259.99 for in December 2016 start selling for well over $300 a couple months later.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

someone should do a price comparison of PS4/XB1 with the equivalent contemporary GPU, and then do the same for PS5/XSX with the corresponding 3-series card.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah even if the 1080 official price was like 599 or whatever, I definitely remember them being 700 at launch and well I would know because I bought one at that price, and it was the cheapest one I could find.

I would say sucks to be me but I'm still using it and it's actually been one of the cards that I've kept the longest.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think I'm probably buying first thing out the gate as well this time. I may never shake having poor brain and runing my games at whatever it takes to get a solid 60 FPS and buy cards that are only just barely able to run what I want to play, but for once, I don't want to do that anymore.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think I'm probably buying first thing out the gate as well this time. I may never shake having poor brain and runing my games at whatever it takes to get a solid 60 FPS and buy cards that are only just barely able to run what I want to play, but for once, I don't want to do that anymore.

Honestly, the best-with-money curve (relative, of course) is buying high right away and then trying to stretch it for as many generations as you can.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

People forget just how rough the 10-series launch was, prices were really high and you could not readily buy a 1080 until around october or november, nowadays it's held up as a model launch for some reason.

Because, collectively, we have memory that approximates that of a rose-tinted goldfish's. Except for hating AMD drivers, I guess.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DrDork posted:

Because, collectively, we have memory that approximates that of a rose-tinted goldfish's. Except for hating AMD drivers, I guess.

That's because AMD drivers keep hurting us, apparently! :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Almost 18 months ago, I bought a used 1070 for $225. And from a glance at ebay, it looks like that price hasn't moved at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you want a used 1070 the US Marshals service is nearly always auctioning off seized 1070’s (and 1080ti’s) for cheap. Some are new in box, some are actually used (and typically in bitcoin miners) but it’s not a bad option for cheap cards. I buy a fair amount of computer bits for quick repair stuff from there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you want a used 1070 the US Marshals service is nearly always auctioning off seized 1070’s (and 1080ti’s) for cheap. Some are new in box, some are actually used (and typically in bitcoin miners) but it’s not a bad option for cheap cards. I buy a fair amount of computer bits for quick repair stuff from there.

....where and how do you buy seized computer parts? I want some cocaine GPUs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

....where and how do you buy seized computer parts? I want some cocaine GPUs.

https://www.txauction.com/auctions/USM

You’ve gotta cycle through some pages to find them. They don’t have as many today as they did a few weeks ago but sometimes they’ll have like 50 cards up for auction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

why does the US Marshal service have lots of graphics cards for cheap?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

why does the US Marshal service have lots of graphics cards for cheap?

Because a lot of illicit money is moved through Bitcoin, and there are a fair amount of criminals who are mining. When they're busted, the Marshals seize their equipment and sell it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 9, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’ve gotta cycle through some pages to find them. They don’t have as many today as they did a few weeks ago but sometimes they’ll have like 50 cards up for auction.

They’ve got 1070Ti for a current bid of $80, quantity up to 3, which seems ok if the bid holds!

https://www.txauction.com/lots/23601

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That is hilarious. Do they ship or do you need to take a road trip for your old GPU that was integral to human trafficking?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lockback posted:

That is hilarious. Do they ship or do you need to take a road trip for your old GPU that was integral to human trafficking?

They ship small stuff, or you work with third-party shippers who pick it up and package it.

The annoying part is that you have to pay by wire xfer or cashier’s check, no credit cards.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
62 1080tis at $140 each lmfao

good deal for hold over cards or something to stick in a '10s era gaming computer for lan/whatever. you just don't have a good idea if they have been hosed with too much

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This find is amazing - I was pretty worried about GPU expenditures on some upcoming projects. Looks like a KVM switch IS in my future! :shepspends:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Voxx posted:

62 1080tis at $140 each lmfao

Really? The “62 quantity” example is on a bunch of auctions with quantities, but the quantity available is different for each auction. Where do you you see 1080Ti?

E: I found the 1080Ti, but there are only 5!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 9, 2020

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Subjunctive posted:

Really? The “62 quantity” example is on a bunch of auctions with quantities, but the quantity available is different for each auction. Where do you you see 1080Ti?

https://www.txauction.com/lots/23598

you are correct, I misread. there are 5. the 62 referenced is actually from the btc branded asrock board, which I did not know even existed until this (for a whopping $10 each)

https://www.txauction.com/lots/23591

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

1080 FE MSRP was $699 and most of the AIBs took their pricing cues from that. You actually couldn't find them under $750 for months after launch, nobody but EVGA even tried to release $600 cards (they had a basic card at $620 and out of all the cards it was the most impossible to find since it was the obvious value pick and everybody was gunning for it).

Ugh. What was the price history of the 1080Ti?

With the 2080Ti's $999 list for FE to $1200-1400 spread for better cooling, it seems to make sense to buy the FE and add a 3rd party cooler. You get it earlier too.

How much does NVidia's FE cooling hold back the card's OC capabilities? This RX 5700 reference card is considerably throttled by the blower, is it the same on say a 2080Ti FE?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nvidia ditched blowers, so they're a competent if unnecessarily hard to disassemble dual fan.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That was a weird period of time. I found it kind of surreal to watch the prices balloon to the point where I saw the 1060 6GB card I paid $259.99 for in December 2016 start selling for well over $300 a couple months later.

A bit of an aside, but I have that same card and paid a similar price for it in March 2017. The EVGA one that's teeny tiny. I found it to be an ideal size for a mATX build and it uses, like, no power. The only games I usually play on PC are WoW and Elder Scrolls, and noticed that while I can definitely max out the cores, it never gets above 50% VRAM usage, making a 6GB model kinda useless for what I use it for. Wonder why that is. What do games typically do that requires a lot of VRAM? Or is this particular card a strictly a budget-conscious bitmining thing?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ofecks posted:

A bit of an aside, but I have that same card and paid a similar price for it in March 2017. The EVGA one that's teeny tiny. I found it to be an ideal size for a mATX build and it uses, like, no power. The only games I usually play on PC are WoW and Elder Scrolls, and noticed that while I can definitely max out the cores, it never gets above 50% VRAM usage, making a 6GB model kinda useless for what I use it for. Wonder why that is. What do games typically do that requires a lot of VRAM? Or is this particular card a strictly a budget-conscious bitmining thing?

Newer games have bigger/high res texture files and require more VRAM. I'd imagine a 3gb 1060 vs a 6gb 1060 give pretty different experiences on soimething new like COD

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

v1ld posted:

Ugh. What was the price history of the 1080Ti?

With the 2080Ti's $999 list for FE to $1200-1400 spread for better cooling, it seems to make sense to buy the FE and add a 3rd party cooler. You get it earlier too.

How much does NVidia's FE cooling hold back the card's OC capabilities? This RX 5700 reference card is considerably throttled by the blower, is it the same on say a 2080Ti FE?

Well, the 1080TI came out like a year later, the 1080ti release matches more like the 2080 Super. It was $699, but there was no way you were finding it for that, I remember in the $800s generally being a good deal for a good while. Eventually you could find them cheaper.

This goes to my theory that Nvidia purposefully changes the target of the SKUs so they can keep as many "high end" SKUs going as possible. In any given release your high end could be one of like 5 different SKUs (ignoring Titan).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ofecks posted:

You are playing games that were designed specifically when VRAM availablity was generally in the 2GB-4GB range. So games generally tried to keep it in those bounds. Newer games use more mostly with textures, but there's diminishing returns on just using bigger and bigger textures (especially with 1080p and 1440p) so we've been kinda hanging around 8GB for a while for mainstream. More people 4K gaming will probably be what pushes cards past the 8GB mark for "enthusiast line".

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thank you for this. I'm going to get a drug lord's video card and couldn't be happier.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Newer games have bigger/high res texture files and require more VRAM. I'd imagine a 3gb 1060 vs a 6gb 1060 give pretty different experiences on soimething new like COD

The 3GB version also chopped out about 10% of the shades for whatever reason, making the 6GB version more powerful even without the VRAM.

To address the question, though, the answer is newer games and higher resolutions with higher res textures and far more complex geometries. Even an older console-first game like Destiny 2 will happily eat up 4GB VRAM at 4k. Newer games like Control will use >8GB VRAM at 4k, and the trend for more VRAM use will only continue once the next-gen consoles launch with 12+GB RAM usable for games.

If you're content with playing games that released 6+ years ago on 1080p, though, it'll be rare to find you need more than 4GB unless you're doing something like loading up Skyrim with a ton of mods.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lockback posted:

Honestly, the best-with-money curve (relative, of course) is buying high right away and then trying to stretch it for as many generations as you can.

I'd say it's best to wait for the Ti top end version to see if it offers a significant boost, like with 1080 Ti vs 1080. You should then be able to get a hell of a lot of life out of it, if that's the intention

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lockback posted:

That's the thing about trying to find the next i5 2500k, or the next GTX 970 - you don't know you've hit the best bang for buck until several years later.

For me, it's my 1080ti, I've had it just over three years now and it's still by far pulling its weight, and I got it brand new for £550, which is daylight robbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's the thing about trying to find the next i5 2500k, or the next GTX 970 - you don't know you've hit the best bang for buck until several years later.

For me, it's my 1080ti, I've had it just over three years now and it's still by far pulling its weight, and I got it brand new for £550, which is daylight robbery.

Generally I think you'd be better off spending 600 every other generation than $350 every generation. It is a moving target, though. Not saying there isn't a point to the x60s, but just that for the type of person who will be keeping up anyway GPUs "longevity" has been holding up reasonably well.