Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Magu-chan is kinda winning me, I love this dumb gag

Moriking enters a pet competition.

Roboco is great. It feels like it has been a good week for the comedy mangas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

I've been having a hard time following Jujutsu Kaisen recently... can't remember who half these characters are or what they do.

lmao

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

amigolupus posted:

loving :lol: at Ghost Plagiarist desperately trying to make the MC not look like a massive shithead.

"No, see, he didn't spend a single yen from the millions or billions he got after an entire year of sales of White Knight. Clearly he's a good person suffering all this time from guilt. Oh, here's a winning combination for a lottery, so you can "gain" a ton of money you wouldn't feel bad spending"

Yeah the lottery numbers were extremely cringeworthy but I don't mind them laying out in text that he treats all his profits as like... dirty mafia hush money or some poo poo. Because we know it is. If anything it makes more sense to me that he's scared to touch it.

Though, I suppose the alternative is that he sees the enormous sums of money and just becomes an obvious garbage human like Walter White or Light Yagami, which could probably work?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

amigolupus posted:

Me & Roboco

This one's off to a fantastic start. I laughed at the gag where they subverted the bullying friends trope from Doraemon:

This one's good. Hope it manages to stay funny going forward.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mikl posted:

We Never Learn had a transition chapter, and I estimate about 2-3 chapters left in the Fumino arc. It'll be interesting to see if they'll move on to other girls once this arc is done, or if they'll call it a day.

(If they have a Sensei arc, I'm out.)

:bye:

I don't actually know what the SA emojis are other that :rip: and :vince:.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

I've been having a hard time following Jujutsu Kaisen recently... can't remember who half these characters are or what they do.

The only dude I didn't remember was the mustachio'd Zen'in dude, but a reread of the entire series helped me remember.

I still don't fully understand Domain Expansion/Amplification but I dig the story and mystery and most of the characters (except Mahito, Mahito must die).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Hands down the best character in the revolution. It's not even a question. RIP to him because he has plot sickness

I'm also glad that the story seems to be picking up with this new arc because The battle against the gatekeepers was kind of dull despite having amazing moments like above.

Burning Effect is legit my favorite webtoon at the moment, and pretty much as been for the past few years, even now the characters are loving awesome and the moments toss at the heartstrings.

I even made a Comico account and bought tokens or whatever Comico uses so I could read the author's previous work, "Control", which ties into Burning Effect (though not to the point where it's necessary, since the important bits are explained in Burning Effect), and blazed through that poo poo in a day. And then I ditched my Comico account cause I prefer the Naver/Daum method of payment to Lezhin/Comico/whatever's method.

I wish they'd release it in a paperback format because I don't want to pay KRW 200 per chapter for the 40+ chapters I already hosed paid for.

gently caress you Daum.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Magu-chan is kinda winning me, I love this dumb gag

Moriking enters a pet competition.

Roboco is great. It feels like it has been a good week for the comedy mangas.

Ditto. Magu has been pretty fun.

Man there are a lot of gag manga now. We need some more "serious" stuff as well.

Ayakashi Triangle is...errr quite generic. It could be fun, but it's clearly flailing.

Bone collection is still pretty fun. So maybe it'll find its footing as well.

Mashle was great. :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

:bye:

I don't actually know what the SA emojis are other that :rip: and :vince:.
If you check smilies, there's a searchbar now

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Grouchio posted:

If you check smilies, there's a searchbar now

loving what? Since when?!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

Ditto. Magu has been pretty fun.

Man there are a lot of gag manga now. We need some more "serious" stuff as well

Yeah most of the serious manga that ended got replaced by gag manga.
Might have been a decision from high on up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

loving what? Since when?!

its pretty recent

edit: so this probably isn't the right thread for this but i have a vague recollection of someone in a battle manga having healing powers and staying to treat people as long as possible before having to fight. I forget if they were fighting for the heroes or villains. any idea wtf i'm thinking of or if i have imagined it?

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 6, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jose posted:

its pretty recent

edit: so this probably isn't the right thread for this but i have a vague recollection of someone in a battle manga having healing powers and staying to treat people as long as possible before having to fight. I forget if they were fighting for the heroes or villains. any idea wtf i'm thinking of or if i have imagined it?

First thing I thought of was Hunter X Hunter when Neferpitou, one of the chimera ant royal guards, is pleading with Gon to put off their fight until after they've finished healing Komugi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nah its definitely not HxH. i think it might involve curing cancer?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Jose posted:

I was going to say Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic but I don’t recall anything about cancer. Do you remember any other details?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

Inuyashiki? The main character spends a lot of time curing terminally ill people at hospitals. Not really a battle manga though.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's been a while, but doesn't Tsunade in Naruto arrive late to a few battles because she's fixing Rock Lee's messed up spine? How mainstream do you think we're talking here, because I've not followed the really big ones much... Who's the white mage in Black Clover? Did Orihime ever get to fight, or did she just heal woulds off-panel?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfface posted:

It's been a while, but doesn't Tsunade in Naruto arrive late to a few battles because she's fixing Rock Lee's messed up spine? How mainstream do you think we're talking here, because I've not followed the really big ones much... Who's the white mage in Black Clover? Did Orihime ever get to fight, or did she just heal woulds off-panel?

Mimosa, Noelle's cousin or something.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, it's ridiculous how much better written the Fumino route is compared to Rizu route in WNL.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm finally catching up on most of Jujutsu Kaisen (I'm at chapter 60), and I like how the girl member of the core "party" is very atypical for this sort of thing. There's a part in this chapter where the protagonist has to carry her in order to get away from an enemy (since he can obviously run much faster than she can), and the vast majority of shounen things would have a girl protest that in some way (but she just goes "thanks").

This series also has very well designed creepy monsters.

edit: One thing I'm a bit confused about - are all the abilities characters are using things that they're born with, or can other people learn stuff like that guy's shikigami or the girls's straw doll abilities? Some abilities were mentioned as explicitly being bloodline things, but it's not clear with others.

edit2: I like this scene where Fushigoro/Kugisaki are talking about how they shouldn't tell Itadori about how his actions indirectly lead to recent deaths, and it's immediately followed by Itadori telling Sukuna not to tell Fushigoro the same thing. This series is good at sort of subverting the expectations you'd normally have about the main characters based off of their introductions and character designs.

This chapter where they meet with this girl from Itadori's school who has a crush on him is also great. I like how Kugisaki's phone icon is a nail.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 7, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like roboco a lot because I feel like I've been missing a madcap comedy series, been a while.

Almost feels like its from another time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm finally catching up on most of Jujutsu Kaisen (I'm at chapter 60), and I like how the girl member of the core "party" is very atypical for this sort of thing. There's a part in this chapter where the protagonist has to carry her in order to get away from an enemy (since he can obviously run much faster than she can), and the vast majority of shounen things would have a girl protest that in some way (but she just goes "thanks").
My only gripe is that Nobara has to lose a lot and it's just the curse of the voodoo practitioner in anime/manga. Turns out handing someone an instant kill technique makes the writer nerf them into the ground :shrug:.

quote:

This series also has very well designed creepy monsters.
Very, Mahito himself is a great source of body horror whenever he's around.

quote:

edit: One thing I'm a bit confused about - are all the abilities characters are using things that they're born with, or can other people learn stuff like that guy's shikigami or the girls's straw doll abilities? Some abilities were mentioned as explicitly being bloodline things, but it's not clear with others.
You can make your own but most are inherited through a family. You'll see some Shaman who use modern tools as mediums to reinforce the concept of self-made techniques.

quote:

edit2: I like this scene where Fushigoro/Kugisaki are talking about how they shouldn't tell Itadori about how his actions indirectly lead to recent deaths, and it's immediately followed by Itadori telling Sukuna not to tell Fushigoro the same thing. This series is good at sort of subverting the expectations you'd normally have about the main characters based off of their introductions and character designs.
Yeah, the series is really good about letting the characters really just talk to one another and how the actions and events in the series really do weigh on the characters. Since you got to the part where Nobara got princess carried a little afterwards is probably one of my favorite moments in the story. Nobara and Itadori's debriefings after Choze's brothers and both of them kind of just processing that they killed not just a curse but something flesh and blood. Itadori has already done so a couple arcs earlier but Nobari also has her own take on it. That's more "real" with the ramifications of killing than I see in a lot of shonen jump series.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 7, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really like Nobara but she's still gotten the least screentime by far out of the protagonists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess roboco's mangaka hasn't had much of their work translated. the only one seems to be a promised neverland gag manga spinoff. it is very clearly the same sense of humor, too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read the Satoru flashback thing, and jesus christ. It's like the earlier thing with that kid all over again.

edit: I'm caught up now. I'm pretty sure that Maki and Nanami were just casually killed earlier, unless that Shoko person can somehow heal having your body incinerated.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 8, 2020

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The latest chapter of Burning Effect is out. This latest arc is shaking down quite nicely now!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elfface posted:

orhime gets to kill a guy once in her intro and then her power gets talked up a lot and then doesn't matter ever again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

orihime being important was actually a fakeout by aizen the whole time. that's not even a joke

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently if Haikyuu ends in the next week or so, it will be the first time since 1968 that jump does not have a sports manga in their lineup.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1281703103214039045

loving FINALLY

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Unrepair's power is kind of scary when you think about it. Knowing that you are going to bleed to death from a tiny pierce wound on your belly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently if Haikyuu ends in the next week or so, it will be the first time since 1968 that jump does not have a sports manga in their lineup.

Today's chapter was wonderful and I'm kinda depressed it's ending but real happy it is staying so good all the way to the end.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Me & Roboco continues to be the best. I love how Roboco having Nappa-esque knees is a feature. :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
roboco is so good that it makes magu look even worse by comparison.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roboco is really good. (Synaptic Destruction)
Whats with the Jujutsu Kaisen ribbing though? Its good do more.

Dolphin Copaganda kind of outlines its overarching plot but not really.
But crimes of the 95 percent as a chapter title? COME THE gently caress ON. WHAT.

Jujutsu Kaisen killing characters as fast as it can introduce them. I like this approach.
Hello Android 17, 18.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 13, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think my favorite part of Roboco is how multifaceted the bullies are

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Didn't give a poo poo to read cop manga this week.

Still not sure on ghostwriter, just like every week. I was starting to get invested in how he'd improve White Knight, since the first chapter he did was slightly questionable, but then it jumped ahead six months?? I thought for a moment the series got canceled lol. Kind of a weird timeskip too, I would think him learning to improve White Knight while Aino worked on her new manga, but I guess maybe that's where it'll go now - the two manga vs each other. I really liked the "shadow" of his doubt talking back at him, why don't we get more of that??

Best week of Magu so far. Not amazing but had some good jokes. I audibly chuckled when Magu walked into the convenience store

Roboco owns.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

I think my favorite part of Roboco is how multifaceted the bullies are

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

CodfishCartographer posted:

Still not sure on ghostwriter, just like every week. I was starting to get invested in how he'd improve White Knight, since the first chapter he did was slightly questionable, but then it jumped ahead six months?? I thought for a moment the series got canceled lol. Kind of a weird timeskip too, I would think him learning to improve White Knight while Aino worked on her new manga, but I guess maybe that's where it'll go now - the two manga vs each other. I really liked the "shadow" of his doubt talking back at him, why don't we get more of that??

ghostwriter had the best one shot i've read in a really long time and already squandered its potential which is ironic considering what the manga is about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm reading more Undead Unluck (after having originally just read the first chapter) and this is surprisingly pretty good? The whole situation after they join that organization is pretty unique and is good at leaving me curious about the setting.